Renegade and Compass hybrid announced!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

https://insideevs.com/jeep-renegade-com ... -revealed/

Jeep Renegade, Compass Plug-In Hybrids Revealed: 31 Miles Of EV Range

Both feature electrified all-wheel-drive systems.
These might look like fairly regular versions of the Renegade and Compass, but these two Jeeps actually have an ace up their sleeves. The dynamic off-road duo utilizes a plug-in hybrid powertrain consisting of a turbocharged 1.3-liter gasoline engine working together with an electric motor. The combustion engine drives the front wheels whereas the electric motor powers the rear axle to enable an electrified all-wheel-drive system.

In the case of the smaller Renegade, combined output varies between 190 and 240 horsepower, which is enough for a sprint to 62 mph (100 kph) from a standstill in roughly seven seconds. Jeep says the Compass with its 240-hp maximum power offers similar performance, but the final numbers are pending homologation.

2019 Jeep Renegade Plug-In Hybrid
Jeep goes on to mention the these two Renegade and Compass PHEV models are going to feature a special instrument cluster and infotainment screen showing relevant details about the more eco-friendly nature of the two models, specifically about the hybrid setup. Aside from the obvious efficiency advantages enabled by electrification, the two promise to offer better acceleration and quicker engine response while further increasing the off-road abilities thanks to the electric motor’s instant torque.

FCA has the two Jeeps on display at the Geneva Motor Show where Alfa Romeo is introducing the Tonale compact crossover concept while Fiat has the adorable Centoventi concept. Maserati is also attending the show to exhibit the Levante Trofeo Launch Edition while Ferrari has the new F8 Tributo.
Not bad!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Love these. Can't wait to see the Wrangler plug-in too.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Put that in a Dart or Alfa hatch and we'll talk... Ideally without the plug-in, a regular hybrid is fine given how few people have regular charging access.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:44 am Put that in a Dart or Alfa hatch and we'll talk... Ideally without the plug-in, a regular hybrid is fine given how few people have regular charging access.
All 3 Darts that were sold last month?
https://jalopnik.com/dodge-sold-three-3 ... 1833033760
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:44 am Put that in a Dart or Alfa hatch and we'll talk... Ideally without the plug-in, a regular hybrid is fine given how few people have regular charging access.
The :doge: fart is dead, doe.

Plug in vs regular, not a whole lot of difference just a larger electric motor and battery plus some charging equipment. I wish Lisa's Cmax was a plug-in Energi instead of the hybrid because it would get a larger electric motor. We'd never plug it in to a wall outlet but would be able to drive longer or at higher speeds without the engine.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:26 am Love these. Can't wait to see the Wrangler plug-in too.
If they can waterproof it decently, that would likely be a hoot off road. And have all the battery necessary for Dometic fridges. Think of all the salmon you could carry around.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:58 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:26 am Love these. Can't wait to see the Wrangler plug-in too.
If they can waterproof it decently, that would likely be a hoot off road. And have all the battery necessary for Dometic fridges. Think of all the salmon you could carry around.
:impressive: Salmon carrying ability.

I've long wanted a plug-in off-roader. Charge up full at home, drive to the trail on gas, then on the trail in EV silence. The instant torque of EV motors would be :jimp: offroad, and the easy going peaceful nature of it all would be a completely different experience.

I really hope the Wrangler was designed with this in mind rather than just some compliance mobile.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:

Plug in vs regular, not a whole lot of difference just a larger electric motor and battery plus some charging equipment. I wish Lisa's Cmax was a plug-in Energi instead of the hybrid because it would get a larger electric motor. We'd never plug it in to a wall outlet but would be able to drive longer or at higher speeds without the engine.
I want the large electric motor and AWD system but with a tiny battery and full-size gas tank because charging doesn't exist in most of the country... All in a compact hatch/wagon. Basically a prius/ioniq but with some power - and ideally not 4000 lbs and $50k like the BMW 330e, Q50 hybrid, etc.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:01 pm
Johnny_P wrote:

I want the large electric motor and AWD system but with a tiny battery and full-size gas tank because charging doesn't exist in most of the country... All in a compact hatch/wagon. Basically a prius/ioniq but with some power - and ideally not 4000 lbs and $50k like the BMW 330e, Q50 hybrid, etc.
Here's the closest you'll get...

I love the way that looks.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:01 pm
Johnny_P wrote:

Yeah this would be good. And I agree on the power. The Prius is so slow. The Cmax is not bad. I'm sure the Volt is better.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:04 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:01 pm I want the large electric motor and AWD system but with a tiny battery and full-size gas tank because charging doesn't exist in most of the country... All in a compact hatch/wagon. Basically a prius/ioniq but with some power - and ideally not 4000 lbs and $50k like the BMW 330e, Q50 hybrid, etc.

The Mazda Romeo Toe nail?
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:01 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:58 am

I've long wanted a plug-in off-roader. Charge up full at home, drive to the trail on gas, then on the trail in EV silence. The instant torque of EV motors would be :jimp: offroad, and the easy going peaceful nature of it all would be a completely different experience.

I really hope the Wrangler was designed with this in mind rather than just some compliance mobile.
It has the potential to be really good. I wonder if the buyers would want it though. I think they'd see "hybrid" and immediately shit on it.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:09 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:04 pm

The Mazda Romeo Toe nail?
:jimp:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:01 pm

It has the potential to be really good. I wonder if the buyers would want it though. I think they'd see "hybrid" and immediately shit on it.
All depends how it's positioned/marketed.

"Wrangler Hybrid" is DOA.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:01 pm I want the large electric motor and AWD system but with a tiny battery and full-size gas tank because charging doesn't exist in most of the country... All in a compact hatch/wagon. Basically a prius/ioniq but with some power - and ideally not 4000 lbs and $50k like the BMW 330e, Q50 hybrid, etc.

Looks straight out of Wall-E. :fatty:

I know that I'm :wrong: but I HATE high seating positions. I'm not 3 years old, I don't need a fucking high chair.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:12 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:11 pm

Wrangler e-torque
Wrangler Zeus edition
Wrangler Offroaditron
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Here's the closest you'll get...

Looks straight out of Wall-E. :fatty:

I know that I'm :wrong: but I HATE high seating positions. I'm not 3 years old, I don't need a fucking high chair.
I'd rather have a low seating position, but I don't hate sitting up higher. :iono:

It is easier as a giant getting in and out of something higher up.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:15 pm

Wrangler e-torque
Wrangler Zeus edition
Wrangler Offroaditron
Zeus

:notbad:
troyguitar

That being said, I think that this Renegade is :neat: and it's probably the thing that most people should be getting for DD's if they want a "rugged" SUV. It seems pretty ideal for :wasteful:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:17 pm

Wrangler e-torque
Wrangler Zeus edition
Wrangler Offroaditron
Zeus

:notbad:
:dat: I like it.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Wrangler e-torque
Wrangler Zeus edition
Wrangler Offroaditron
Depends on how many fridges the battery can power.
E overlanding edition wrangler with 96 hrs of “off the grid power”
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:20 pm That being said, I think that this Renegade is :neat: and it's probably the thing that most people should be getting for DD's if they want a "rugged" SUV. It seems pretty ideal for :wasteful:
I like it a lot!
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:20 pm That being said, I think that this Renegade is :neat: and it's probably the thing that most people should be getting for DD's if they want a "rugged" SUV. It seems pretty ideal for :wasteful:
I like it a lot!
I think/hope that hybrids like this are the way of the future. The same kind of thing in a compact car like a Mazda3/Golf is pretty much what I want. Electric rear axle with software for torque vectoring, gas front axle for highway power+range. You should be able to make a decently quick, fun, efficient, and affordable car that way.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:31 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
I like it a lot!
I think/hope that hybrids like this are the way of the future. The same kind of thing in a compact car like a Mazda3/Golf is pretty much what I want. Electric rear axle with software for torque vectoring, gas front axle for highway power+range. You should be able to make a decently quick, fun, efficient, and affordable car that way.
I’d rather get a 2wd model for an affordable price. That’s way too much tech and R&D for an affordable new price point.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier