Gberg's GTI Thread

Strut your greasy stuff!
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

I figured I'll redo my GTI thread on DFD 2.0 while I still have it. The :plac: is strong as I've had the car since new for over 6 years now. I'm currently all over the place with what I want to get next whether it be another GTI, GoRF, FoRS, Mustang GT, Camaro SS, WRX/STI, something else, or nothing at all because :scrooge:. This time though, I will take the time to explore other options besides VW. Currently at 57k and at the rate I'm going I'll likely need another major repair at 60k. I'll also list the current issues because it's a VW.

Current Issues
- Possible water leak into the rear passenger footwell from the passenger door. Was unable to pinpoint exactly where it came from but I pushed the lower door seal out further and there haven't been any leaks since. Lower rubber seal in the door frame still holds a lot of water though.
- Phantom bulb out on my right front side marker. More often than not I get a bulb out error in the cluster but the side marker is not out.
- Driver side window occasionally hits the frame inside the door. Been an off and on issue since 10k miles.
- 2 bulbs out for the window switch and mirror switch on the driver door.

Causes for Concern
- Spent a little over $2k back in October to repair 3 oil leaks (cam girdle, timing case, oil pan) and replace the timing chain tensioner.
- Noticed a very slight flywheel chatter this past summer.
- On water pump #4 but its the BG pump that was part of the recall so it should be good. Radiator #2 was put in at the same time as the BG pump.
- Intake manifold has yet to fail but it will be covered under the extended warranty.

Mods
Engine/Performance:
  • GIAC Stage 2
    Modshack VTDA
    SPM Catted 3" Downpipe
    Magnaflow Catback
    GFB DV+
Wheels/Suspension/Chassis:
  • 18x8 Enkei Raijins
    225/40ZR18 Michelin Pilot Super Sports
    Eibach Sway Bars 26mm front/23mm rear
    Unibrace UB
Transmission
  • Euro Short Shift Lever
    SPM Torque Mount insert
Exterior:
  • LED Tails
    Smoked sidemarkers
    30% Tint
Last edited by Gberg2119 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

I like your GTI.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Man, sounds like some pricey repairs that came way too early. My '08 was at 85K when I sold it and I had zero problems with it other than some throttle ecu thing that was fixed under warranty. Other than that it was just a couple of bulbs burnt out and that's about it. Part of the reason I sold it was because it was due for it's 85K maintenance which consists of the water pump/timing belt. I didn't feel like dealing with it along with the other things that will slowly trickle in and need to be fixed, so I sold it.
Awesome car for those 7-8 years.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Damn car looks great with those ramz. I really like the looks of the MK6 GTI. But JESUS CHRIST that's a lot of repair work before 60k. Hooooly shit. I thought mine was bad.

I used to get phantom bulb out warnings. They'd go away after a day or so and come back intermittently. I also got phantom AC blend doors not working, and the very infrequent traction control / XDS freak out.

I'm guessing you replaced the PCV with the seal work you did? If not.... do it. Cheap insurance, and they're all but guaranteed to fail at 60k-ish miles.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I honestly still like the car. If it didn't have so many issues I think I'd be pretty content. It really is a love/hate thing. And admittedly most things have been covered under the warranty but that has obviously expired.

I'm pretty much on a streak of every 5k it needs something. These are just the recent repairs off the top of my head.

33k: Another water pump replaced.
35k: Subframe clunk fixed.
40k: Misfires. Car was out of commission for a couple days while I waited for new spark plugs and coil packs. I break the plastic clips on the coil pack connectors because of the cold costing me more money.
45k: The radiator end tank cracks and spills coolant all over the place. Get the radiator good willed and the new BG water pump put in as part of the recall.
47k: Hit a deer.
50k: Misfires again. Nearly $1k for a carbon cleaning but they found one injector was stuck and covered most of it under warranty. Only cost me about $160.
55k: 3 oil leaks and timing chain tensioner repaired.

I haven't replaced anything with the PCV. I always assumed my intake manifold will fail next.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I dig the color.
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote:I honestly still like the car. If it didn't have so many issues I think I'd be pretty content. It really is a love/hate thing. And admittedly most things have been covered under the warranty but that has obviously expired.

I'm pretty much on a streak of every 5k it needs something. These are just the recent repairs off the top of my head.

33k: Another water pump replaced.
35k: Subframe clunk fixed.
40k: Misfires. Car was out of commission for a couple days while I waited for new spark plugs and coil packs. I break the plastic clips on the coil pack connectors because of the cold costing me more money.
45k: The radiator end tank cracks and spills coolant all over the place. Get the radiator good willed and the new BG water pump put in as part of the recall.
47k: Hit a deer.
50k: Misfires again. Nearly $1k for a carbon cleaning but they found one injector was stuck and covered most of it under warranty. Only cost me about $160.
55k: 3 oil leaks and timing chain tensioner repaired.

I haven't replaced anything with the PCV. I always assumed my intake manifold will fail next.
Here's the thing with the PCV. If it fails, it takes out your RMS.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote:Bulb out warnings?

Put your stock side markers back in. I bet those aftermarket ones are melted.

Love the way your Yaris looks doe.
It's kind of just a thing the MK6 does. Mine was fully stock and I'd get a rogue rear brake light out warning randomly, despite all lights working correctly.

I replaced so many bulbs in that car. Kept a stash of spare bulbs in the cargo hold by the spare :lol:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote:
[user not found] wrote:Bulb out warnings?

Put your stock side markers back in. I bet those aftermarket ones are melted.

Love the way your Yaris looks doe.
It's kind of just a thing the MK6 does. Mine was fully stock and I'd get a rogue rear brake light out warning randomly, despite all lights working correctly.

I replaced so many bulbs in that car. Kept a stash of spare bulbs in the cargo hold by the spare :lol:
Not a single stock bulb ever failed on mine in 5.5 years.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I'm pretty sure I didn't use the cheapo bulbs that came with the sidemarkers because they didn't fit. I went to AutoZone and got different ones.

I'll have to look into the pcv leak on the dead zone.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Acid666

Did the MKVI have PCV issues with the OEM part? I know my MKV did and I replaced it with the ECS Tuning upgrade. I did a handful of preventative maintenance things like the upgraded PCV and a new Divertor valve. but I assumed they fixed a lot of those things with the next gen. I know Melon doesn't really believe in catch cans, but after I installed one in the MKV to the PCV I caught SOOOO much nasty shit. I was amazed how quickly that can would fill up with gunk. I'm waiting till I can dish out the cash to put one on the Z06.

For the subframe clunk fix I just had the dealership order me the Audi sub frame bolts and it fixed it.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Does the entire PCV need to be replaced?

https://shopdap.com/replacement-diy-for ... h103495ac/
Acid666

You could just get the entire kit from ECS. Dap sells the valve by itself but I can't really find an entire kit for all the parts involved. (I only briefly looked, so it might be there)
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-b ... 03495a1kt/
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Acid666 wrote:You could just get the entire kit from ECS. Dap sells the valve by itself but I can't really find an entire kit for all the parts involved. (I only briefly looked, so it might be there)
Hmm. I haven't had any of the symptoms DAP mentions. I'll check for oil leaks later but I assume the diller would've seen it leaking when they fixed the cam girdle. PCV had to be removed for that job. I have to think I'd be fine for a little while.
Acid666

That's one of those preventative maintenance parts that I didn't wait around for to replace. I did it anyways. Same with the cam follower. Got a new one just to do it, and the old one looked brand new when I removed it. Swapped it out anyways.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

:disappoint: Just more money to dump into the car. I'm going to try and hold out a bit longer. I really don't want to spend anymore money on it.

I don't think I posted it on DFD 1.0 but here's a recording of the flywheel chatter from back in July. I know it's the flywheel because the noise stops once the clutch is pressed. There are precisely 0 viable options for a clutch replacement on this car too which is another concern. :iono:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAWDEH2fMPo
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote:Does the entire PCV need to be replaced?

Yep. Its one :waxer: assembly. You can get them from DAP or Rock Auto and the like. I put a china one in the MK6, it was like $85 or something.
Johnny_P

Easy to replace yourself though.
Johnny_P

Acid666 wrote:You could just get the entire kit from ECS. Dap sells the valve by itself but I can't really find an entire kit for all the parts involved. (I only briefly looked, so it might be there)
You don't need the hoses unless one is leaking. Just re-use the stock ones. The hose on the front was an absolute bitch to re-attach doe. I motherfucked the hell out of that before I got it to click.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote:Does the entire PCV need to be replaced?

Yep. Its one :waxer: assembly. You can get them from DAP or Rock Auto and the like. I put a china one in the MK6, it was like $85 or something.
:rolleyes: It never ends with this fuckin car. I really don't want to put anymore money into it aside from oil changes.

On an unrelated note, I'm dropping the car back off at the body shop who did my deer repair. Water is still leaking into the cabin from the passenger door. The towel I put there a few days ago was soaked when I checked it after the last rainfall on wednesday or thursday. At least the towel stopped it from soaking the footwell though.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Body shop won't take the car. They insist the water leak has nothing to do with the deer hit. Told me to take it to the diller. Sigh

wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Gberg2119 wrote:Body shop won't take the car. They insist the water leak has nothing to do with the deer hit. Told me to take it to the diller. Sigh

:rage:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote:Body shop won't take the car. They insist the water leak has nothing to do with the deer hit. Told me to take it to the diller. Sigh

:rage:
Tell me about it. It's always something with this car. Do we have rear sunroof drains? I couldn't see them when I had it open.

Hopefully the :plac: juices don't start flowing when I see that Golf R at the diller. It's still listed on their site so maybe it hasn't been sold yet.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote:
[user not found] wrote:
:[user not found]: :jizz: is always flowing.
FTFY
:dat: :lol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Took the car to the VW diller. The water is leaking from the inner door panel which the insurance body shop had to remove to fix a dent from the deer hit. I originally took it to them this past Monday and of course they claimed innocence and said it wasn't because of the work they did. Told me to go to the VW dealer and have it looked at. :yeahok:. 6+ years of ownership with no leaks then it starts leaking soon after they did work on the door. GTFO. It has EVERYTHING to do with the repairs they made. The metal is deformed behind the inner door plate so it doesn't seal properly which allows the water to drain down into the car. I will also be demanding either Geico or the body shop reimburse me the $240 it cost to have the VW diller diagnose it. I have a write-up from VW service explaining the problem and I'll be dropping the car off Monday to hopefully get it fixed.

While I was there I did look at the GoRf. It's nice and all but I can't really justify it after driving a Mk7 PP GTI. The :dillerman: didn't realize he gave me a DSG car but it was fine since I've never driven a DSG GTI before. It was cool but I think I still prefer :manuel:. The last time I drove a Mk7 was about 2 years ago and it did not have the PP. Even though it was damp out, the way the LSD pulls the car out of turns is amazing.

Last edited by Gberg2119 on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.