OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Food last night was great. It’s a little family run restaurant in what appears to be an old church. There was a PA system and stool set up in the back so they either still do church there or they do some karaoke or something.. the only people dining inside when we got there were Filipino. Huli-Huli chicken might be a new favorite of mine.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:40 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:07 pm

Yeah we’re gonna order either Hawaiian or Chinese since she doesn’t want to go out.
Wait "Hawaiian" is a cuisine?
:wtf:

Yeah man, there are many variants, most centered around pork or poke bowls. :drool:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

One thing we never opt for is Chinese food. Maybe I should give in another try but other variants of AZN food always seem more appealing to me.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:59 am One thing we never opt for is Chinese food. Maybe I should give in another try but other variants of AZN food always seem more appealing to me.
We had a great Chinese place in SD, but haven’t found anything comparable out here yet. Tried a few places and they’re fine, but not good enough to keep us from looking for a better one.
Desertbreh

SAWCE wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:50 am

Do you even loco moco, bro?

Would definitely suggest trying some Hawaiian food. Maybe there isn’t any in the desert, but SD has a few good spots for it next time you’re out there. There are a few chain places too like L&L’s that you might be able to find close to you.
I'm being a bit facetious. I have sampled the wares of the Islands many times, including Loco Moco, and by and large, eating Hawaiian diner food is FAR BETTER than so called high end dining there, with a few notable exceptions. I have never actually considered it worthy of it's own moniker......."let's eat Hawaiian." Spam and Mac and Cheese doesn't quite rise up for me. This conversation has opened me up to the idea however.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh

D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:59 am

:wtf:

Yeah man, there are many variants, most centered around pork or poke bowls. :drool:
See above. I agree with you on AZN food, but if a town has a SRS BZNS Chinese population like SF, I'm more apt to give it a shot.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:33 am
SAWCE wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:50 am

Do you even loco moco, bro?

Would definitely suggest trying some Hawaiian food. Maybe there isn’t any in the desert, but SD has a few good spots for it next time you’re out there. There are a few chain places too like L&L’s that you might be able to find close to you.
I'm being a bit facetious. I have sampled the wares of the Islands many times, including Loco Moco, and by and large, eating Hawaiian diner food is FAR BETTER than so called high end dining there, with a few notable exceptions. I have never actually considered it worthy of it's own moniker......."let's eat Hawaiian." Spam and Mac and Cheese doesn't quite rise up for me. This conversation has opened me up to the idea however.
Can't say that I seek it out regularly, but I do enjoy a good poke bowl, it's like sushi but you actually get a dece portion.
Desertbreh

D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:35 am
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:33 am

Can't say that I seek it out regularly, but I do enjoy a good poke bowl, it's like sushi but you actually get a dece portion.
Yeah I don't ascribe Poke bowls to Hawaii per se. I see them at a lot of restaurants, both in the U.S. and Mexico, that are fresh fish oriented but that doesn't make them Hawaiian to me. Hawaiian is kind of its own strain of diner food to me.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

There is no such thing as “Hawaiian” food other than a lu’au and not one in a hotel.

There I said it .. it’s just a hodge podge of random cultures doing a bunch of random shit. That area is quite a melting pot. Look no further than a loko Moko
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:45 am There is no such thing as “Hawaiian” food other than a lu’au and not one in a hotel.

There I said it .. it’s just a hodge podge of random cultures doing a bunch of random shit. That area is quite a melting pot. Look no further than a loko Moko
:notwrong:

To further this point, SD had a place that was like Greek/Hawaiian/something else fusion.. only ate it once, but holy fuck it was good. MJ’s Yogurt and Deli or something like that down in Chula Vista.
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:45 am There is no such thing as “Hawaiian” food other than a lu’au and not one in a hotel.

THANK YOU
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:notwrong: but doesn't that make it its own cuisine? Hawaii is like 50+% Asian people who are descendants of farm workers brought in from China, Japan, and other countries by white people, the majority of the rest is a mix of natives and whites from the 'mainland' BUT their food isn't like any other state or country, the hodge podge is uniquely Hawaiian.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:55 pm

:notwrong: but doesn't that make it its own cuisine? Hawaii is like 50+% Asian people who are descendants of farm workers brought in from China, Japan, and other countries by white people, the majority of the rest is a mix of natives and whites from the 'mainland' BUT their food isn't like any other state or country, the hodge podge is uniquely Hawaiian.
I suppose I’m spoiled by Cali. Nothing unique in Hawaiian food for me. We have all that and then Middle eastern and Mexican food on top. But I’m not going to call it “Californian cuisine “.
Desertbreh

I'm with Vasily. Adding a scoop of Mac and Cheese to pork does not a separate cuisine make. It's a truck stop cafeteria.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:09 pm I'm with Vasily. Adding a scoop of Mac and Cheese to pork does not a separate cuisine make. It's a truck stop cafeteria.
:notwrong: to be fair though, they do have a few unique things like the huli-huli chicken, kalua pork, etc..
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Got a cheap upgrade to the front of the plane in a couple weeks. Getting used to it.
max225

Such Hawaii much wow

CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Wood eat. Chain or a local place?
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:41 pm Wood eat. Chain or a local place?
L&L Hawaiian.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:33 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:41 pm Wood eat. Chain or a local place?
L&L Hawaiian.
We've got one of those here too but I haven't had it yet.
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:32 pm Such Hawaii much wow

Comforting and tasty.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Hawaii was alright. Musubi with spam was quite delicious.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

So it’s been like a month and a half but I found out Monday that I did not get the manager job. Which I’m kind of bummed about.

Then on Friday I was given a totally unexpected 5.5% raise. So that’s a good consolation prize I guess. Half the extra pay with no added responsibility.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:10 pm So it’s been like a month and a half but I found out Monday that I did not get the manager job. Which I’m kind of bummed about.

Then on Friday I was given a totally unexpected 5.5% raise. So that’s a good consolation prize I guess. Half the extra pay with no added responsibility.
With the raise alone, it is :notbad:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Trip little :disappoint: outside of disney and :drunk:

On the upside, s5 was great. Truly a great car that I totally see myself upgrading to. Its basically a fatter gti minus fwd woes and nose heaviness, also sounds pretty good.

Will post more deets later this week.

Maybe next year, i'll make a better trip, but i wanna go back to a hybrid or 9-5 first. Even though i got 4 weekends off in a roww, that i did not even ask for. :alpo:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.