OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:08 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:40 pm

That was a choice though. You could've just gone where you wanted to go, got a job as a bartender, figured it out. The fact is, proximity to family/friends, existing stable employment, etc. outweighed the desire to be in another place, which is true for most here.

I regret a little bit being so conservative at 22 and not just going to CA at that time. It's a much harder choice now - my dad's health sucks, wife and I have a house and pretty good jobs, friends locally.
I wanted out of Michigan so bad that I just took the first job I could get that wasn't in the state. Happened to be telemarketing in Phoenix. I despised the job, but my desire to experience new shit outweighed it. I never stopped job hunting, and eventually landed a gig in California and went out there where I rented a room from a white supremist in Camarillo for $500/mo, which was all I could afford. He had every room of his 4 bed house rented to random people as he was trying to not lose his house after getting decimated by a ARM in 08. I never stopped job hunting, which took me through a bunch of different career paths and I moved to a new area every 12 months because rent would increase more than my salary and I was forced to.

Sounds shitty right? I loved it and I wouldn't trade that experience for anything in the world. It wasn't' sustainable, but I got the adventure I wanted. Sure, I didn't have a family life and friends came and went, but none of that was important to me. It's all trade-offs.

And we still move. Different house/city every 2 years so far, moved us up to areas we otherwise wouldn't be able to afford and take advantage of opportunities as they're presented. We won't sell our current house, but will probably continue to be nomadic in some way. Just how we are.
It's nuggets like this that make me want to drink beer with you.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:52 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:33 pm

Adding THE is 100% an only CA/maybe WA and OR thing. In the southeast they are generally just referred to by number only, 85, 95, etc. The 'EYE' is optional.
Once again no one says that here... I was utterly confused when someone brought that up earlier.
We refer to it... "101 was an epic shit show"... or "Eye 5 sucks"...

The 101 ? never heard of it...
Ah, I misunderstood. It's definitely said in SoCal, the 5, the 405, etc. guess it's strictly a SoCal thing.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:40 pm

That was a choice though. You could've just gone where you wanted to go, got a job as a bartender, figured it out. The fact is, proximity to family/friends, existing stable employment, etc. outweighed the desire to be in another place, which is true for most here.

I regret a little bit being so conservative at 22 and not just going to CA at that time. It's a much harder choice now - my dad's health sucks, wife and I have a house and pretty good jobs, friends locally.
I wanted out of Michigan so bad that I just took the first job I could get that wasn't in the state. Happened to be telemarketing in Phoenix. I despised the job, but my desire to experience new shit outweighed it. I never stopped job hunting, and eventually landed a gig in California and went out there where I rented a room from a white supremist in Camarillo for $500/mo, which was all I could afford. He had every room of his 4 bed house rented to random people as he was trying to not lose his house after getting decimated by a ARM in 08. I never stopped job hunting, which took me through a bunch of different career paths and I moved to a new area every 12 months because rent would increase more than my salary and I was forced to.

Sounds shitty right? I loved it and I wouldn't trade that experience for anything in the world. It wasn't' sustainable, but I got the adventure I wanted. Sure, I didn't have a family life and friends came and went, but none of that was important to me. It's all trade-offs.

And we still move. Different house/city every 2 years so far, moved us up to areas we otherwise wouldn't be able to afford and take advantage of opportunities as they're presented. We won't sell our current house, but will probably continue to be nomadic in some way. Just how we are.
I have definitely sought out the nomad lifestyle quite a bit as well, hence my tinges of regret on not moving to the West Coast when it would've been easier. My wife does love to travel which is fun, but she's not quite as willing to up and leave as I might be. Like Eric said though, things are pretty good where I'm at, certainly not dissatisfied, just would enjoy trying some different things. I still miss the Bang Bus days often, but it's also nice to not have to deal with that.

I do love traveling but living somewhere is a different sort of experience/immersion than visiting. Like, I thin very fondly of LA and have always wanted to live there. I've spent 50+ nights there in my life, so I've experienced it quite a bit, but I'm sure I'd feel very different actually living there. There are certainly downsides you don't feel as a vacationer.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:11 pm

It's nuggets like this that make me want to drink beer with you.
5/7 would drink beers with breh.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:24 pm

I have definitely sought out the nomad lifestyle quite a bit as well, hence my tinges of regret on not moving to the West Coast when it would've been easier. My wife does love to travel which is fun, but she's not quite as willing to up and leave as I might be. Like Eric said though, things are pretty good where I'm at, certainly not dissatisfied, just would enjoy trying some different things. I still miss the Bang Bus days often, but it's also nice to not have to deal with that.

I do love traveling but living somewhere is a different sort of experience/immersion than visiting. Like, I thin very fondly of LA and have always wanted to live there. I've spent 50+ nights there in my life, so I've experienced it quite a bit, but I'm sure I'd feel very different actually living there. There are certainly downsides you don't feel as a vacationer.
When I moved out west, it would have been way easier to just live in my parent's basement like most of my friends did, but that just wasn't me. If you want to do something like this, it can be done. Like, I didn't have first/last/security deposit like Brad mentioned, which is how I ended up with the white supremist that just asked for a security deposit after I met him. It's what I could afford, so it's what I did. Ended up living with him for a year and a half and had a great time with many more stories to tell.

And it's different from travelling and seeing things, absolutely. I don't really enjoy travelling, airports, hotels, all that gets old fast. We've been talking more about a "hybrid" nomadic existence where we live in our house from May through December, then vanlyfe or rent month to month places wherever we want the rest of the time. We'll probably be gone for a few months this coming year to try it out.

BUT everyone is different. Many people have no interest in that sort of life, and that's fine and great for them. We need all sorts of different people in the world. I just get a little :notsure: when I hear people whining about "being stuck". You're choosing to be stuck.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Boys Taco Bell are off their rocker.

That's a medium drink for reference. Is this what a woman feels like when she undoes your pants just to have your absolute SLEDGE drop out? Excitement and anxiety?
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:51 pm Boys Taco Bell are off their rocker.

That's a medium drink for reference. Is this what a woman feels like when she undoes your pants just to have your absolute SLEDGE drop out? Excitement and anxiety?
The last time I went to TB was a year ago. The burrito was half that size, and over 50% of it was wadded up tortilla. The middle 50% was just bean goo despite me ordering a fancy thing that should have had a bunch of stuff in it. It was $7 too, and I don't think I've been more disappointed in a food item ever. I've had zero interest in going back since, but this...hmmmmm
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Glad to see they’ve brought back the grilled burritos. Those were missing for a while. Might need a Taco Bell stop soon.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

This was the double XXL or whatever grilled cheese burrito. Definitely worth the $5 IMO
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:36 pm This was the double XXL or whatever grilled cheese burrito. Definitely worth the $5 IMO
That’s an impressive calorie/$ ratio
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:39 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:36 pm This was the double XXL or whatever grilled cheese burrito. Definitely worth the $5 IMO
That’s an impressive calorie/$ ratio
:mahtroy:

That is the exact item I paid 9.99 for in Lavonia, Georgia. The combo did include a drink and a taco as well though. The grilled burrito with cheese on the outside is 5/7.
ChrisoftheNorth

I may need to try TB again...
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

looking through some stuff here, I clearly have missed quite a lot, but did we lose Zil?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Devilchrono wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:01 pm looking through some stuff here, I clearly have missed quite a lot, but did we lose Zil?
Yeah he quit a while back unfortunately... kind of thinned out around here but it's been pretty active.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

the classic combo is not bad either. where I am it is $5 for a large drink, cinnamon twists, a beefy 5 layer burrito ( I get it grilled!) and a soft taco.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:14 pm the classic combo is not bad either. where I am it is $5 for a large drink, cinnamon twists, a beefy 5 layer burrito ( I get it grilled!) and a soft taco.
It’s $5 here as well, dece :dill: , not on the menu in Lavonia, GA.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Haven't been on here much this week. I took the week off to work on the patio. Much progress was made.
The space was dug out to the final depth, the full 2.5 tons of crushed stone was lugged over and dumped into the hole and raked level and tamped down a couple times.

Played :truckyeah: with the Blue Meanie again, bringing home 60 paver blocks that will define the perimeter of the patio and hold the stone in place.

Finished installing and leveling the pavers, and staked down the edging today.

Yesterday afternoon I was out there working and one of the construction guys working on rebuilding my street came over and started chatting. He too was all :wtf: when I told him I wasn't able to put pavers down for my patio and when I told him my plan to use a particular decorative stone (called Desert Sunset) he gave me the name of a landscape supply place that carries the stone I want in bulk. My only option up til that point was to buy literally hundreds of bags of the stone from Menards and either rent a pickup or get it home in several trips with the Blue Meanie. Needless to say I was :fuckyeah: at the dude's tip. I went out to the place this morning after calling them first to make sure they'd deliver to my town (they do) and ordered 2.5 tons of the rock I want. I wanted it delivered Monday but they were already booked for the day. The dude then calls the driver and asks if he has time for one more delivery today and he did. So at 12:30 today this happened:

Got 7 wheelbarrow loads dumped into the patio before calling it a day.
Tomorrow I'm "resting: and only doing laundry and cleaning the kitchen :lol: , then back at it on Monday, which I'm also taking off.

:csb:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

You should mix concrete powder in with it and then water it when it's in place
wap

Tar wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:51 pm You should mix concrete powder in with it and then water it when it's in place
I was thinking of using polymeric sand, which hardens when watered, like what you suggested. But I'm going to put the rocks down, tamp them twice, then see if they still move and if they do I'll address it like you suggest. :like:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

wap wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:00 pm
Tar wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:51 pm You should mix concrete powder in with it and then water it when it's in place
I was thinking of using polymeric sand, which hardens when watered, like what you suggested. But I'm going to put the rocks down, tamp them twice, then see if they still move and if they do I'll address it like you suggest. :like:
Good luck with that, hope it goes smoothly for you've put a lot of hard work into your project but it looks amazing! Looking forward to the finished product and feedback
wap

Tar wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:10 pm
wap wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:00 pm

Good luck with that, hope it goes smoothly for you've put a lot of hard work into your project but it looks amazing! Looking forward to the finished product and feedback
Thanks, Tar! Me too. I'll have moved 10.000 lbs of stone and several thousand pounds of dirt and maybe 2.000 lbs of blocks, all by hand, when this is all over :lol: . :excited: for a cool weekend night to light my first fire.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Looks great WAP! And :nice: tip about the bulk delivery from construction bro :fuckyeah:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Cat caught another mouse last night. Score is:

Cat: 7
Dog: 1
wap

SAWCE wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:08 am Looks great WAP! And :nice: tip about the bulk delivery from construction bro :fuckyeah:
Thanks, :sawce: ! My old bones and joints are getting a much needed break today. I need dem :massles: :lol:
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:19 am Cat caught another mouse last night. Score is:

Cat: 7
Dog: 1
:pouroneout: :mouse: