OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

SAWCE wrote:
D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:07 pm :drool:

I love just a classic burger like that, no need for anything weird/ :fancy: , IMO.
Agreed. My favorite is a cheeseburger from shake shack with no sauce on it. Add pickles and mustard. Done.

Or if I want to keep it cheap and don't care as much about the quality of the food that day, hit MacDoe for a BOGO Quarter Pounder w/Cheese. Those things hit the spot every fucking time.
For a burger or steak just make the thing at home IMO. It's stupidly easy and you can have good :meat: for cheaper than fast food. There's no talent or special equipment needed to cook good :meat:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:19 pm
SAWCE wrote:
Agreed. My favorite is a cheeseburger from shake shack with no sauce on it. Add pickles and mustard. Done.

Or if I want to keep it cheap and don't care as much about the quality of the food that day, hit MacDoe for a BOGO Quarter Pounder w/Cheese. Those things hit the spot every fucking time.
For a burger or steak just make the thing at home IMO. It's stupidly easy and you can have good :meat: for cheaper than fast food. There's no talent or special equipment needed to cook good :meat:
I haven't dry aged a steak at home, and as many steaks as I have made at home, I rarely match high end steak places in quality.

Also best steaks I have made require a trip to the store + firing up of the grille + about 1 hr of work. It's still super good :doe:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:18 pm Quarter pounder with cheese is indeed good. I do prefer a good bar burger :doe: , good bun, 1/3ish pound patty, american cheese, LTOP and mayo/mustard (sometimes ketchup).
I generally like thinner patties, but a good bar burger once in a while hits the spot.
max225

I am fucking hungry AF now. Thanks guys.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I honestly don't give a fuck about steak. I don't dislike it but don't love it either, I only ever eat it at my in-laws, as that's all they eat. Fortunately visits to them are down to about 2/year.

If I'm treating myself to beef, it's a burger every time.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:25 pm I honestly don't give a fuck about steak. I don't dislike it but don't love it either, I only ever eat it at my in-laws, as that's all they eat. Fortunately visits to them are down to about 2/year.

I love burgers too. :like:
SAWCE

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:19 pm
SAWCE wrote:

Steak I definitely cook at home.

Burgers we need to do that more often.. there is a solid brand that our Vons carries that does a tritip/chuck/angus beef blend for patties. You get 4 1/4lb patties for like $7 or $8 or something. Pair it with some potato roll buns and a slice of American or cheddar cheese.. solid. We usually have mustard and pickles on deck in the fridge at home too.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:19 pm For a burger or steak just make the thing at home IMO. It's stupidly easy and you can have good :meat: for cheaper than fast food. There's no talent or special equipment needed to cook good :meat:
I haven't dry aged a steak at home, and as many steaks as I have made at home, I rarely match high end steak places in quality.

Also best steaks I have made require a trip to the store + firing up of the grille + about 1 hr of work. It's still super good :doe:
I mean I've never set foot in a high end steak place or tried to buy high end :meat: so that kind of corksniffer stuff is out of my realm, but for us non-millionaires a decent steak is available for <$20 at the same store you're already buying food at - there's no need for special trips.
Desertbreh

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:49 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:39 pm

https://www.snorerx.com/anti-snoring-mo ... gIda_D_BwE

This thing has absolutely DESTROYED my snoring problem (Wife's too!) I would try this before any more expensive measures.
:notbad: will try that out for sure!

Did you ever find yourself waking up gasping for air before using it? That's what I do and what makes me think sleep apnea/CPAP..
For sure it sounds like that. Try this first. CPAPs are a pain in the ass......the whole sleep study/CPAP thing is a bit of a racket IMHO. In mild apnea cases, mouthguards skin the cat. Do you snore?

Edit: Never gasping for air. Just bad snoring if I slept on my back/particularly with alcohol use. I just switched to side sleeping.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:23 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:18 pm Quarter pounder with cheese is indeed good. I do prefer a good bar burger :doe: , good bun, 1/3ish pound patty, american cheese, LTOP and mayo/mustard (sometimes ketchup).
I generally like thinner patties, but a good bar burger once in a while hits the spot.
Double 1/4 lb smashburgers with grilled onions were a lockdown standby for us..... Thinner burgers smashed to brown crusty perfection on a cheap ass electric griddle. You effectively double the surface area of the meat versus a single thicker pattie ......

:themoreyouknow:

I still opt for single, thicker puck if the meat is top shelf..... the Prime rib or Rib Eye premade burgers in some supermarkets will get the old school treatment......
max225

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:27 pm
max225 wrote:

I mean I've never set foot in a high end steak place or tried to buy high end :meat: so that kind of corksniffer stuff is out of my realm, but for us non-millionaires a decent steak is available for <$20 at the same store you're already buying food at - there's no need for special trips.
Well you were saying that steak at home as good as restaurant steak. I was basically saying that I haven't had a dry aged at home steak.. (local whole paycheck) actually has em, but I don't know how much they cost. But I generally find restaurant steak to be better than at home. Of course it costs more, no arguing that.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:I honestly don't give a fuck about steak. I don't dislike it but don't love it either, I only ever eat it at my in-laws, as that's all they eat. Fortunately visits to them are down to about 2/year.

I find steak easier/cleaner to cook plus easier to have a healthy-ish meal (at least less unhealthy).

For a burger, I'm going to put cheese on it and pair it with a bunch of :fatty: bread and :fatty: chips/fries/beers.

A steak is more likely to end up with a couple glasses of red wine and some actual green vegetables.
Desertbreh

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:25 pm I honestly don't give a fuck about steak. I don't dislike it but don't love it either, I only ever eat it at my in-laws, as that's all they eat. Fortunately visits to them are down to about 2/year.

THANK YOU.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:27 pm I mean I've never set foot in a high end steak place or tried to buy high end :meat: so that kind of corksniffer stuff is out of my realm, but for us non-millionaires a decent steak is available for <$20 at the same store you're already buying food at - there's no need for special trips.
Well you were saying that steak at home as good as restaurant steak. I was basically saying that I haven't had a dry aged at home steak.. (local whole paycheck) actually has em, but I don't know how much they cost. But I generally find restaurant steak to be better than at home. Of course it costs more, no arguing that.
The home made option is just as good as or better for the kind of stuff that I've ever tried (read: poor people steak, I don't think I've ever had one over $40ish). You're probably right about the high end stuff being different.
Desertbreh

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:07 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:03 pm

:dat: I don't love spending money on expensive meals, but there is a time and place for it, and a $200 sushi night once a month offset by a few nights of $15 burgers and fries or a steak and box of mac and cheese is a nice balance.

Speaking of.. we had BOGO offers for burgers/sandwiches at a local distillery that popped up in our 'hood a year or two back.. we did that the other weekend for my cheat meal.. really fucking good. they had four to choose from so we each used the BOGO deal and tried all of them. First up was a good old fashioned all beef burger with two patties, standard veggies, and their house aioli. 5/7. Pulled pork was 4.5/7. Buffalo chicken took a 4/7. The only let down was the chicken parm sandwich. 2/7. Needed way more sauce and cheese.
:drool:

I love just a classic burger like that, no need for anything weird/ :fancy: , IMO.
THANK YOU
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

For steaks, sous vide, low and slow and then a red hot cast iron pan to sear. This is the way.

The new cheap Home depot grill I bought gets rilly rilly hot too (and has a little smokebox....I am actually tickled with it after looking a lot of other (more expensive) options) but I still prefer the cast iron for better cuts...more control = less likelihood for the dreaded WD result....
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Burgers are definitely more :fatty: for me.
Steak will have healthier sides like broccoli or asparagus, not fries. And :gtfo: with booze.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:31 pm
D Griff wrote:I honestly don't give a fuck about steak. I don't dislike it but don't love it either, I only ever eat it at my in-laws, as that's all they eat. Fortunately visits to them are down to about 2/year.

I find steak easier/cleaner to cook plus easier to have a healthy-ish meal (at least less unhealthy).

For a burger, I'm going to put cheese on it and pair it with a bunch of :fatty: bread and :fatty: chips/fries/beers.

A steak is more likely to end up with a couple glasses of red wine and some actual green vegetables.
:notwrong: on any of that.

I don't really make either at home (well burgers once in a while, mostly if having people over). I normally get burgers out to eat because it's pretty much my favorite food, you almost never get a bad one, and they're usually one of the cheapest things on the menu.

My at home diet is basically stir fired veggies (curries, Asian style stir-fry, fajitas, you name it) with rice for most meals. I also throw salads, bowls (Mexican or Mediterranean), grilled salmon/chicken/vegges, sandwiches/wraps, brotein shakes/smoothies, fruit, and eggs. Nine out of ten meals fall into this, it is boring but effective.
Desertbreh

THANK YOU.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:39 pm Burgers are definitely more :fatty: for me.
Steak will have healthier sides like broccoli or asparagus, not fries. And :gtfo: with booze.
Yeah it is indeed tough to not go for the fries option with a burger.
max225

How do ya'll like your burgers/steak?

I know I am :wrong: but i can't stand "pink" patties.. I always ask for medium...
Pink steaks I don't do either... which of course is not right... Gotta HAVE IT BLOODY IF YOU'RE A REAL MAN.
Desertbreh

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:27 pm
max225 wrote:

I generally consider prime steakhouses to be a racket (Ruth's Chris, for example) but there are certain one off steakhouses that are legitimate EXPERIENCES, the whole joint, not just the food. Peter Luger's in Brooklyn would be an example.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I went through this phase from age 23-30ish where I thought fries were overrated and stupid. Unfortunately, I was :wrong: . I now love them again.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:42 pm How do ya'll like your burgers/steak?

I know I am :wrong: but i can't stand "pink" patties.. I always ask for medium...
Pink steaks I don't do either... which of course is not right... Gotta HAVE IT BLOODY IF YOU'RE A REAL MAN.
Burger - medium well
:steak: - medium rare
SAWCE

Irish wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:30 pm

Double 1/4 lb smashburgers with grilled onions were a lockdown standby for us..... Thinner burgers smashed to brown crusty perfection on a cheap ass electric griddle. You effectively double the surface area of the meat versus a single thicker pattie ......

:themoreyouknow:

I still opt for single, thicker puck if the meat is top shelf..... the Prime rib or Rib Eye premade burgers in some supermarkets will get the old school treatment......
That sounds incredible. Would eat one of your burgers for sure. I love them smashed extra thin and crispy like that.