OT 17: WELCOME TO THE CORONADOME!

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

How exactly does having a boatload more applicants (not more students) for public universities mean that the quality of students will go down? Standards will go up. Public schools will be harder to get into than (most) private ones.

Money always comes with strings anyway. There's no reason underperforming schools can't be cut from the program.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Melon wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:33 am Quick watch, but an effective technique:

https://youtu.be/WPPPFqsECz0
This is pretty good.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:28 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:28 pm

I'm realizing more and more I just enjoy older cars more so :aintcare: really. 25 years from now there likely won't be much available that I'll like, but hopefully I won't care then or I can make the C5 last. I'm not sure that this new crop of cars will really last all of that long with dynamic/computer controlled everything, there's a lot to go :wrong:
Thats been a thought of mine too. But sometimes its nice to get in a modern vehicle where everything works properly.

Heated seats, radios that work well, no squeaks or crunches, etc. Ive been driving a nissan rogue all week and its a bit relaxing vs driving my miata. I do think I will board of it eventually.

Im torn on whether or not I want to get a second gen C-10 or get something within the last decade as my DD.
Yeah, there are happy mediums though. Something well sorted and not heavily modded can be good. My C5 is really reliable and basically everything works properly.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Melon wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:13 am Being kind is more important that being right, outside of a professional setting.
:dat: :dat: :dat: :dat: :dat: :dat: :dat: :dat: :dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Melon wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:04 am
fledonfoot wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:51 pm

I have multiple express lube techs being paid $11-12/hour with new Challenger Scat Packs, Mustangs or Wranglers with godawfully high payments over $700/mo.

One of them came to me last week and asked for a raise and to work 5 hours of overtime a week, because he had to start paying rent at home and can't afford the car. He's paying $740/mo for 72 months on a Challenger. I spent an hour last week trying to talk him out of a $7500 SnapOn toolbox financed through the SnapOn truck at $50/week. He wants it because all the main shop guys have them. He doesn't realise that what's in the box is more important, and spending $3k on tools to put in a $700 box is a much better decision.

I denied the raise. He ordered the toolbox last week. I gave up.
Some of Snap-On's stuff is such a rip off.

US General boxes are really good.
I have a husky box and its amazing. Im really impressed with the quality.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Heavy ... /302962883
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:31 am
Melon wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:04 am

Some of Snap-On's stuff is such a rip off.

US General boxes are really good.

I have the less nice version husky box I also like
brain go brrrrrr
Barnes93cb

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:44 am

I cant complain at all. I didnt pay for it. It was a christmas gift last year. And once I finish building my garage shelves I will be able to finish setting it up and de-clutter.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Pretty sure my Craftsman that looks similar was built in the same factory as the Husky brand. I only bought Craftsman because of points/deals at Sears. It isn't worth a penny more than a comparable Husky or similar, the build quality is nearly identical from what I see.

This VW mechanic that has a YouTube channel did a video comparing a ~$1000 Harbor Freight box to his $9,000 Snap On and he ended up liking the HF box more.

There's no real need to blow money on a box anymore, the tech has been shared and the cheaper boxes are just that.... Cheaper, in price for about the same thing.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:00 am
This VW mechanic that has a YouTube channel did a video comparing a ~$1000 Harbor Freight box to his $9,000 Snap On and he ended up liking the HF box more.

There's no real need to blow money on a box anymore, the tech has been shared and the cheaper boxes are just that.... Cheaper, in price for about the same thing.

Charles is pretty awesome. While I'm not in the market for a big ass box, I'd consider the HF one because they've stepped up their game in the mid range price market. Their Earthquake mega impacts are PHENOMENAL and get rave reviews. And their Daytona low profile jack is the EXACT SAME SHIT as the Snap-on (it's built in the same factory) for a fraction of the cost.
Barnes93cb

Pretty sure my Craftsman that looks similar was built in the same factory as the Husky brand. I only bought Craftsman because of points/deals at Sears. It isn't worth a penny more than a comparable Husky or similar, the build quality is nearly identical from what I see.

Humble mechanic has a great series.

Also I have no idea why anyone who doenst have $25k worth of tools uses a snap on box anymore.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:09 am

Humble mechanic has a great series.

Also I have no idea why anyone who doenst have $25k worth of tools uses a snap on box anymore.
I like some snap on tools, but I would never buy a box, they would have to give it to me for free after buying $500k in tools. :lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Acid666 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:06 am

Charles is pretty awesome. While I'm not in the market for a big ass box, I'd consider the HF one because they've stepped up their game in the mid range price market. Their Earthquake mega impacts are PHENOMENAL and get rave reviews. And their Daytona low profile jack is the EXACT SAME SHIT as the Snap-on (it's built in the same factory) for a fraction of the cost.
I recently picked up the yuge Daytona low profile highest end jack they have, it was a floor model they sold me for $150. The thing is nice as hell. I love all of the fun colors too.

I will probably just get a mid sized rolling box there and set my little Craftsmen up for track day duty. I've had really good success with HF stuff. The power tools aren't the best but for someone like me who uses a saw a couple of times a year, they're fine and cheap. I'll only go higher end on drill/impact/certain car wrenching tools.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:35 am How exactly does having a boatload more applicants (not more students) for public universities mean that the quality of students will go down? Standards will go up. Public schools will be harder to get into than (most) private ones.

Money always comes with strings anyway. There's no reason underperforming schools can't be cut from the program.
:dat:
As proof, (free) public universities in Europe and (I think) Japan are notoriously difficult to get into. Here's the thing with free public education in this country. After WWII it was decided that what young people needed to get themselves a decent job/career/ middle class life was a high school diploma. So the federal government, when ti still actually cared about the middle class, made K-12 education free. No one thinks twice about that now. It's just taken for granted, as it should be. Nobody says errmahgerd Socializm evil gubmint skoolz. It's just a normal, accepted thing. But what .gov didn't do was outlaw paid private schools. People still had/have a choice to go the free route or the :waxer: route for their CF education, which is great. Fast forward to today and it's clear that a HS diploma is no longer enough to get on the middle class track. A college degree or a trade school degree is what's needed now. Therefore, some think that instead of K-12, we should have free K-16 education, or K-trade school. There would still be the option of :waxer: private colleges, etc. This isn't a crazy idea to me. It just isn't. The only problem I see is that the trade school option isn't talked about or stressed enough and I wish it was. It's happening a bit behind the scenes but it should be more in the forefront.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:16 am
Melon wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:13 am Being kind is more important that being right, outside of a professional setting.
:dat: :dat: :dat: :dat: :dat: :dat: :dat: :dat: :dat:
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:21 am
Acid666 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:06 am

I recently picked up the yuge Daytona low profile highest end jack they have, it was a floor model they sold me for $150. The thing is nice as hell. I love all of the fun colors too.

I will probably just get a mid sized rolling box there and set my little Craftsmen up for track day duty. I've had really good success with HF stuff. The power tools aren't the best but for someone like me who uses a saw a couple of times a year, they're fine and cheap. I'll only go higher end on drill/impact/certain car wrenching tools.
Their "GENERAL" I think it is, cart is next on my list. I think it's $189 or so. I find that the more work I do the more I really need a rolling tool cart that's easily sortable for the work I do. I usually pull all the tools I need for a specific task and sort them. Being able to confine those tools and then the removed part and it's associated hardware in a tray or undertray is nice. I'm usually very organized and having a toolbox across the shop is turning out to be more of an annoyance than I thought it would be.
KiaGiver
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 2017 Subaru STi / Vapemachine

Fiancee's aunt is a HF higher up so I'm gonna start reaping dem discounts on non-life ending tools and stuffs.

Also I'm a :truk: guy meow.

I like rumbles, vape juice and mudflaps :gay:

Need Modz? Hit me up!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

KiaGiver wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:27 am Fiancee's aunt is a HF higher up so I'm gonna start reaping dem discounts on non-life ending tools and stuffs.

:truk: :gag: :gag: :gag: :truk:
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

I have a craftsman box and like 400pc mechanics set that I grabbed years ago on a Black Friday sale :iono:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:25 am
troyguitar wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:35 am How exactly does having a boatload more applicants (not more students) for public universities mean that the quality of students will go down? Standards will go up. Public schools will be harder to get into than (most) private ones.

As proof, (free) public universities in Europe and (I think) Japan are notoriously difficult to get into. Here's the thing with free public education in this country. After WWII it was decided that what young people needed to get themselves a decent job/career/ middle class life was a high school diploma. So the federal government, when ti still actually cared about the middle class, made K-12 education free. No one thinks twice about that now. It's just taken for granted, as it should be. Nobody says errmahgerd Socializm evil gubmint skoolz. It's just a normal, accepted thing. But what .gov didn't do was outlaw paid private schools. People still had/have a choice to go the free route or the :waxer: route for their CF education, which is great. Fast forward to today and it's clear that a HS diploma is no longer enough to get on the middle class track. A college degree or a trade school degree is what's needed now. Therefore, some think that instead of K-12, we should have free K-16 education, or K-trade school. There would still be the option of :waxer: private colleges, etc. This isn't a crazy idea to me. It just isn't. The only problem I see is that the trade school option isn't talked about or stressed enough and I wish it was. It's happening a bit behind the scenes but it should be more in the forefront.
The problem is today's culture of sue and get your way. As soon only 98.9% of some group is allowed admission they will sue and the system will cave and they will have to accept every applicant, no matter of qualifications.

Then we get into the whole thing mentioned before about everyone having a Master's in Modern Dance or something.

This is a lot like how degrees from countries like India are devalued compared to ours, because everyone in India has a BS or MS and the scrutiny just isn't there.
Last edited by CorvetteWaxer on Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
KiaGiver
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:31 am
KiaGiver wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:27 am Fiancee's aunt is a HF higher up so I'm gonna start reaping dem discounts on non-life ending tools and stuffs.

not a fan, I take it? :lolol:

Need Modz? Hit me up!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

KiaGiver wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:34 am

:nope: I've Ben dding a trick for nearly 2 weeks, and aside from it being free transportation while my car is broke, it's not great.
brain go brrrrrr
KiaGiver
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:36 am

:nope: I've Ben dding a trick for nearly 2 weeks, and aside from it being free transportation while my car is broke, it's not great.
What kinda truck? I'm getting a kick out of hitting some muddy / snowy trails.

Need Modz? Hit me up!
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

:bruh:

You missed the boat. The :truk: thing is over. Also, since Apex just got a :jeep: , that is now winding down too.

Now everyone needs a Chrysler Pacifica, that's the hot new ride.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

KiaGiver wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:38 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:36 am

What kinda truck? I'm getting a kick out of hitting some muddy / snowy trails.
Nice :truk: :bruh:
wap

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:33 am
wap wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:25 am

The problem is today's culture of sue and get your way. As soon only 98.9% of some group is allowed admission they will sue and the system will cave and they will have to accept every applicant, no matter of qualifications.

Then we get into the whole thing mentioned before about everyone having a Master's in Modern Dance or something.

This is a lot like how degrees from countries like India are devalued compared to ours, because everyone in India has a BS or MS and the scrutiny just isn't there.
So you're not disagreeing with the concept, then?

The litigation culture here is :fullretard: for sure. But we won't know that would happen for sure unless/until it's tried. But I agree, there would have to be some commensurate strong rules on admissions without major exceptions.
Last edited by wap on Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.