Griff's Garage

Strut your greasy stuff!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:58 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:12 pm

I do take Teams calls and it is indeed a bit shit, usually I'm in rentals when I'm doing that :doe:

I like listening to stuff on YouTube too but get kind of :rage: that if you mute the screen, audio also pauses.
I went with YouTube premium years ago to eliminate ads while watching/listening to documentaries at work and that keeps the videos playing even when your screen is locked.
Aren't you supposed to be making two pieces of steel one piece of steel?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:21 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:58 pm

I went with YouTube premium years ago to eliminate ads while watching/listening to documentaries at work and that keeps the videos playing even when your screen is locked.
Aren't you supposed to be making two pieces of steel one piece of steel?
If I don't have something distracting me from my job I go crazy :lolol:
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

Hey Mr Griffington, word on the street is that the 10AE models come with 8" wide wheels instead of 7.5" like every other brz86. Can you verify that?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Valkyrie wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:22 am Hey Mr Griffington, word on the street is that the 10AE models come with 8" wide wheels instead of 7.5" like every other brz86. Can you verify that?
Off the top of my head, no, but they are unique to the 10AE in look and that they’re forged. I’ll measure them and report back.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:27 pm
Valkyrie wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:22 am Hey Mr Griffington, word on the street is that the 10AE models come with 8" wide wheels instead of 7.5" like every other brz86. Can you verify that?
Off the top of my head, no, but they are unique to the 10AE in look and that they’re forged. I’ll measure them and report back.
How would you go about measuring them? Other than whipping out the manual
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:57 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:27 pm

Tape measure. Measure the width of the barrel inside the wheel, then subtract about 3/4" to get the distance from bead to bead.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:39 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:57 am

Tape measure. Measure the width of the barrel inside the wheel, then subtract about 3/4" to get the distance from bead to bead.
:dat:

Didn’t :doit: yet :doe:

:disappoint: :hibachi:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Still really enjoying the 86. Nothing much new to report, made it to 1050 miles so I have now gone WOT to redline a couple of times. It's not really anything :impressive: but :notbad: either. I think the free-revving and instantaneous throttle response of this motor are quite enjoyable, power is :thisisfine: for me, it's far more fun to work with than the BMW 2.0T and while it's no :ellisjuan: , it's nice to be able to wind out without doing anything too dumb. About as quick as the 328i sans :tuna:

The PS4 tarz don't have much grip... it can slide in a corner with pretty minimal throttle input which is :lolol: but it does seem like another scenario where a Michelin product is insanely overrated for no reason.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:42 am Still really enjoying the 86. Nothing much new to report, made it to 1050 miles so I have now gone WOT to redline a couple of times. It's not really anything :impressive: but :notbad: either. I think the free-revving and instantaneous throttle response of this motor are quite enjoyable, power is :thisisfine: for me, it's far more fun to work with than the BMW 2.0T and while it's no :ellisjuan: , it's nice to be able to wind out without doing anything too dumb. About as quick as the 328i sans :tuna:

The PS4 tarz don't have much grip... it can slide in a corner with pretty minimal throttle input which is :lolol: but it does seem like another scenario where a Michelin product is insanely overrated for no reason.
I think your experience with Michelin in this case is not the performance of the tire but rather the way the car is balanced and set up to be more tail happy and willing to go sideways.

The PS4S is a great tire.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:53 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:42 am Still really enjoying the 86. Nothing much new to report, made it to 1050 miles so I have now gone WOT to redline a couple of times. It's not really anything :impressive: but :notbad: either. I think the free-revving and instantaneous throttle response of this motor are quite enjoyable, power is :thisisfine: for me, it's far more fun to work with than the BMW 2.0T and while it's no :ellisjuan: , it's nice to be able to wind out without doing anything too dumb. About as quick as the 328i sans :tuna:

I think your experience with Michelin in this case is not the performance of the tire but rather the way the car is balanced and set up to be more tail happy and willing to go sideways.

The PS4S is a great tire.
The jury is still out for me but I will say the PSS I got on the corvette were the worst set of tires I’ve ever bought. To your point, these are fairly skinny but it’s also a light, low powered car. These tires are revered by auto journalists constantly as the pinnacle of performance street tires and they just aren’t very sticky which is odd to me.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Keep in mind, these are PS4, not PS4S. Those are actually 2 different tires. It's beyond dumb. I had 245 mm square setup on the S2000 with PS4S. Totally different in grip than these wimpy PS4.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Michelin does some annoying things with OEM tires too, like the tires that come stock on a vehicle are not always the same as the ones that you can buy aftermarket even with the same model name. Dunno about this application specifically :doe:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MrH42 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:05 pm Keep in mind, these are PS4, not PS4S. Those are actually 2 different tires. It's beyond dumb. I had 245 mm square setup on the S2000 with PS4S. Totally different in grip than these wimpy PS4.
I didn't realize this :lolol: But you're confirming it's not just me? It's like blip the throttle in a turn even at fairly low RPM and it rotates. Not a bad thing exactly, it's entertaining but it's the worst grip I've felt since my four year old OEM run flats on the BMW.

:iono: I doubt I will ever buy a set of Michelins, I just don't get the hype.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

I'm surprised you don't think it's faster than the 328 without a tune. Maybe mine's just opened up more now that I'm at ~2,700 miles, but this thing feels pretty damn quick to me, especially when on anything other than a highway onramp. It gets up to 70 in a hurry.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:52 am I'm surprised you don't think it's faster than the 328 without a tune. Maybe mine's just opened up more now that I'm at ~2,700 miles, but this thing feels pretty damn quick to me, especially when on anything other than a highway onramp. It gets up to 70 in a hurry.
The 328i was pretty quick too. It's definitely quick enough for me. I really haven't tested out the top end at all, it's a lot of fun in the first couple of gears.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Maybe I will set up a race with the BMW for :science: and :lolol:

My frand has it less than a mile from here.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:23 am Maybe I will set up a race with the BMW for :science: and :lolol:

My frand has it less than a mile from here.
:doit: and post a vid here!
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Looks like the auto did 13.9 @ 99 in C&D's hands.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a1 ... st-review/

I'd guess with ehsteek they'd actually be pretty comparable. I'd wager the 86 will edge out the 328 at higher speeds, but the extra torque in the BMW will at least keep it even from the start.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:22 am Looks like the auto did 13.9 @ 99 in C&D's hands.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a1 ... st-review/

I'd guess with ehsteek they'd actually be pretty comparable. I'd wager the 86 will edge out the 328 at higher speeds, but the extra torque in the BMW will at least keep it even from the start.
:popcorn: I will talk to my buddy.

The 86 is waaay more engaging at the speed it can do though, so much more fun to row through the gears in it.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:26 am
MrH42 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:05 pm Keep in mind, these are PS4, not PS4S. Those are actually 2 different tires. It's beyond dumb. I had 245 mm square setup on the S2000 with PS4S. Totally different in grip than these wimpy PS4.
I didn't realize this :lolol: But you're confirming it's not just me? It's like blip the throttle in a turn even at fairly low RPM and it rotates. Not a bad thing exactly, it's entertaining but it's the worst grip I've felt since my four year old OEM run flats on the BMW.

:iono: I doubt I will ever buy a set of Michelins, I just don't get the hype.
I only have 500 miles, and mostly driven it when it's pretty cold so I haven't pushed it, but yeah, it doesn't feel all that grippy to me so far.

The magical tire used to be the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. I had these in 245 width on my 1st gen BRZ, and it was a monster.

The Pilot Sport 4S replaced the Super Sport. I put 245 width PS4S on the S2000 and it felt very similar to the PSS on the BRZ.

The Pilot Sport 4 is an OEM tire. It does not feel like the other two tires. Part of that is these are narrower than the past two cars by 30 mm, less aggressive alignment, and stock suspension instead of coilovers. But even with that considered, I think the tires are quite a bit different. I think the material is different and has a lot less rolling resistance, probably for gas mileage reasons for the OEM.

If I only experienced these OEM tires on the BRZ, I'd agree. The hype is overblown. But the PSS and PS4S on previous cars were some alien material. I was always blown away by them.

Forgot to add: I think the PS4 is better in colder weather too. At 40 degrees, the BRZ feels fine in terms of grip. PSS and PS4S tires felt way less grippy at those kind of temperatures.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I do agree that this thing feels totally fine in cold/questionable weather. Hell, day two I was on Tail of the Dragon in light snow.

Did you ever track with the PSS? I had those on my Corvette and man, they were cool on the street but hands down the shittiest track tire I've ever experienced. They shredded to bits after one day on track, an hour and 20 minutes total. And when I say shred to bits, I mean it, the tread just ripped off the tires in big chunks and I had to toss them after the event, they had less than 5K miles and less of 100 of those were on track. I've tracked a lot of different tires - Falken, BFG, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Khumo, never seen anything like that from any other set. I've had everything from all seasons to 200TW extreme summers but only the PSS just absolutely shat the bed. Abbey who used to post here (had a Golf R than E46 M3) and her husband are both track instructors and told me that my experience wasn't at all isolated.

I know they aren't a track tire and admittedly they were nice on the street, but I still just thought that was unacceptable for what was revered as the performance standard by all of the automotive press.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

FWIW I put over 300 autox runs on a set of PSS on my C5 and they had fantastic qualities in every way. High grip, predictable handling, and very low even wear. I thought they were great except for not being competitive against the full on racing tires.

...but that was with -3 degrees of camber in the front and 265mm wide tires "stretched" onto 10.5" wide wheels. (10.5" is 267mm though, it was not actually a stretch it was a good fit which meant that the tire had good support)
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Well, after much waiting and calls to Torklift, they finally informed me a few weeks ago the 86 hitch was available for pre-order. I place an order and surprisingly, had it on my front porch less than a week later. I took the rear bumper off and went to install this Sunday and when I got to the putting it on stage, realized it's a style where the receiver is inside/behind the bumper cover. You're meant to cut a hole in the bumper cover behind the tag and install this swing down plate holder to block it/swing down when in use.

I'm really not crazy about cutting holes in the new car and also about driving around basically sans plate... so I put the bumper back on and said fuck it. I have requested they RMA it for full refund as there is ZERO info on the product page alluding to the fact that it isn't a regular fucking hitch.

I'm very annoyed, still haven't heard back from them as of 72 hours later. I may just ship it back and stop payment on my card if I don't hear something soon.

I'm honestly debating :plac: at this point... transporting mountain bikes is one of the primary reasons I bother owning a car. May also just get the dumb Slambert one and be limited to one bike which also kind of sucks.

:disappoint:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:08 pm Well, after much waiting and calls to Torklift, they finally informed me a few weeks ago the 86 hitch was available for pre-order. I place an order and surprisingly, had it on my front porch less than a week later. I took the rear bumper off and went to install this Sunday and when I got to the putting it on stage, realized it's a style where the receiver is inside/behind the bumper cover. You're meant to cut a hole in the bumper cover behind the tag and install this swing down plate holder to block it/swing down when in use.

I'm really not crazy about cutting holes in the new car and also about driving around basically sans plate... so I put the bumper back on and said fuck it. I have requested they RMA it for full refund as there is ZERO info on the product page alluding to the fact that it isn't a regular fucking hitch.

I'm very annoyed, still haven't heard back from them as of 72 hours later. I may just ship it back and stop payment on my card if I don't hear something soon.

I'm honestly debating :plac: at this point... transporting mountain bikes is one of the primary reasons I bother owning a car. May also just get the dumb Slambert one and be limited to one bike which also kind of sucks.

:plac: 'ing a car for bike transport purposes is next level :plac: does the bike not fit inside?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:08 pm Well, after much waiting and calls to Torklift, they finally informed me a few weeks ago the 86 hitch was available for pre-order. I place an order and surprisingly, had it on my front porch less than a week later. I took the rear bumper off and went to install this Sunday and when I got to the putting it on stage, realized it's a style where the receiver is inside/behind the bumper cover. You're meant to cut a hole in the bumper cover behind the tag and install this swing down plate holder to block it/swing down when in use.

And yet, here you are, with a two seat sports car.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.