Griff's Garage

Strut your greasy stuff!
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

max225 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:40 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:08 pm Well, after much waiting and calls to Torklift, they finally informed me a few weeks ago the 86 hitch was available for pre-order. I place an order and surprisingly, had it on my front porch less than a week later. I took the rear bumper off and went to install this Sunday and when I got to the putting it on stage, realized it's a style where the receiver is inside/behind the bumper cover. You're meant to cut a hole in the bumper cover behind the tag and install this swing down plate holder to block it/swing down when in use.

I'm really not crazy about cutting holes in the new car and also about driving around basically sans plate... so I put the bumper back on and said fuck it. I have requested they RMA it for full refund as there is ZERO info on the product page alluding to the fact that it isn't a regular fucking hitch.

I'm very annoyed, still haven't heard back from them as of 72 hours later. I may just ship it back and stop payment on my card if I don't hear something soon.

I'm honestly debating :plac: at this point... transporting mountain bikes is one of the primary reasons I bother owning a car. May also just get the dumb Slambert one and be limited to one bike which also kind of sucks.

:disappoint:
:plac: 'ing a car for bike transport purposes is next level :plac: does the bike not fit inside?
I fit a road bike in mine, but a mountain bike is bigger and dirtier. It would be a huge PITA.

He's got other :plac: reasons anyway... :baby: :baby: :baby: oh :baby:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:08 pm Well, after much waiting and calls to Torklift, they finally informed me a few weeks ago the 86 hitch was available for pre-order. I place an order and surprisingly, had it on my front porch less than a week later. I took the rear bumper off and went to install this Sunday and when I got to the putting it on stage, realized it's a style where the receiver is inside/behind the bumper cover. You're meant to cut a hole in the bumper cover behind the tag and install this swing down plate holder to block it/swing down when in use.

I'm really not crazy about cutting holes in the new car and also about driving around basically sans plate... so I put the bumper back on and said fuck it. I have requested they RMA it for full refund as there is ZERO info on the product page alluding to the fact that it isn't a regular fucking hitch.

I'm very annoyed, still haven't heard back from them as of 72 hours later. I may just ship it back and stop payment on my card if I don't hear something soon.

I'm honestly debating :plac: at this point... transporting mountain bikes is one of the primary reasons I bother owning a car. May also just get the dumb Slambert one and be limited to one bike which also kind of sucks.

:plac: 'ing a car for bike transport purposes is next level :plac: does the bike not fit inside?
Zero shot of a mountain bike fitting inside one of these. The trunk opening is quite a bit smaller in this generation to boot.

Sucks Griff, can't believe they'd not clarify that "hey, you have to punch a hole in your bumper for this thing to work."

:fullretard:

Thinking of :plac: as well, except I wouldn't replace it. I like the thing, but between the payment, insurance, and registration I'm at about $650/mo, and I definitely don't get $650/mo of enjoyment out of it. It's not depreciating to that same degree and so it's not like I'm throwing away all of that money, but owning it still seems a bit stupid.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Valkyrie wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:51 pm
I fit a road bike in mine, but a mountain bike is bigger and dirtier. It would be a huge PITA.

The Prophet from the Desert called it since day 1... "The second you get the sport car :baby: will fuck ya"
max225

coogles wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:55 pm
Zero shot of a mountain bike fitting inside one of these. The trunk opening is quite a bit smaller in this generation to boot.

Sucks Griff, can't believe they'd not clarify that "hey, you have to punch a hole in your bumper for this thing to work."

Thinking of :plac: as well, except I wouldn't replace it. I like the thing, but between the payment, insurance, and registration I'm at about $650/mo, and I definitely don't get $650/mo of enjoyment out of it. It's not depreciating to that same degree and so it's not like I'm throwing away all of that money, but owning it still seems a bit stupid.
Yea the "$500 a month" to keep my C5 around did it for me as well... once you start counting the $$$ it's over IMO. There is no $$$ rationale to keep a sports car.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

max225 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:57 pm
Valkyrie wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:51 pm

The Prophet from the Desert called it since day 1... "The second you get the sport car :baby: will fuck ya"
:notwrong:

I don't even want one anymore because music gear doesn't fit well. In another timeline I would be first in line to buy the orange car this Fall. It's badass.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:47 pm

And yet, here you are, with a two seat sports car.
Well the other primary reason is for fun... no real need for work/commuting purposes. It's never been an issue before, a bike rack on a sports car hauls a bike just as well as a stupid :truk:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Nah, not my mountain bike. :iono: it seems no less dumb than any other :plac: around here :lolol:

I'm still hopeful to find a resolution to the hitch sitch.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

D Griff wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:20 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:47 pm

And yet, here you are, with a two seat sports car.
Well the other primary reason is for fun... no real need for work/commuting purposes. It's never been an issue before, a bike rack on a sports car hauls a bike just as well as a stupid :truk:
How frequently when you're out on rides is Allison using the :jeep: ? Would she refuse to drive the :stig: car when you're out if you used the Jeep to haul the bike around?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:55 pm

They even tout that it's bolt on with no drilling required :lolol: Technically true, but they fail to mention that sawzalling IS required https://torkliftcentral.com/2023-subaru ... iler-hitch .
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:22 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:20 pm

How frequently when you're out on rides is Allison using the :jeep: ? Would she refuse to drive the :stig: car when you're out if you used the Jeep to haul the bike around?
Yep, refuses to drive a manual.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

D Griff wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:26 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:22 pm

:word:

I'll do you a solid and trade you the Elantra for it :lol:
max225

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:35 pm https://www.gr86.org/threads/good-news- ... ycles.931/

Suction cups seem cool
I think I'm probably going to buy the receiver in the first pic in that thread and just be limited to the single bike. If a more normal hitch comes along later, I'll but that and sell the Slambert.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:30 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:26 pm

:word:

I'll do you a solid and trade you the Elantra for it :lol:
:lolgasm: :nope:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Well, I did end up replacing both batteries on the :jeep: Both tested a bit low on voltage, so I figured it was time. Costco had the main battery for $170, AutoZone had the aux for $130. The aux was a real fuckin' PITA as it's buried below the fuse box, other battery, etc. Forum bros led me to believe removing the fender was the easiest access which turned out to be a really :notsure: bit of advice. In removing, almost all of the plastic clips broke, had to visit three stores to find them. Fortunately my area has a bunch of auto parts stores close by. Quite an ordeal/expense, between the driving around and work, probably three hours of time and $300 to change the battery on a car that's only 3.5 years old.

:disappoint: but it's been otherwise great so I can't be that upset. I will likely look further into aux battery delete if this happens again in three years.

Who else has owned ZF8 cars here and do you change the tranny fluid? This :jeep: is nearing 50K miles and calls for basically no maintenance (no call for diff fluid, trans fluid, coolant flush) in the manual. I'm :notsure: I'm down with oil changes only for life. We will probably have this car for a long while.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:29 pm Well, I did end up replacing both batteries on the :jeep: Both tested a bit low on voltage, so I figured it was time. Costco had the main battery for $170, AutoZone had the aux for $130. The aux was a real fuckin' PITA as it's buried below the fuse box, other battery, etc. Forum bros led me to believe removing the fender was the easiest access which turned out to be a really :notsure: bit of advice. In removing, almost all of the plastic clips broke, had to visit three stores to find them. Fortunately my area has a bunch of auto parts stores close by. Quite an ordeal/expense, between the driving around and work, probably three hours of time and $300 to change the battery on a car that's only 3.5 years old.

:disappoint: but it's been otherwise great so I can't be that upset. I will likely look further into aux battery delete if this happens again in three years.

Who else has owned ZF8 cars here and do you change the tranny fluid? This :jeep: is nearing 50K miles and calls for basically no maintenance (no call for diff fluid, trans fluid, coolant flush) in the manual. I'm :notsure: I'm down with oil changes only for life. We will probably have this car for a long while.
So the ZF fluid change is a bit odd. I believe you replace the entire pan since it's plastic and has the built in filter. And the fluid used to be quite expensive... Overall its about $300 in parts in my recollection.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/ ... ons.94302/

Looks like the wrangler is a bit less part intensive.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:33 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:29 pm Well, I did end up replacing both batteries on the :jeep: Both tested a bit low on voltage, so I figured it was time. Costco had the main battery for $170, AutoZone had the aux for $130. The aux was a real fuckin' PITA as it's buried below the fuse box, other battery, etc. Forum bros led me to believe removing the fender was the easiest access which turned out to be a really :notsure: bit of advice. In removing, almost all of the plastic clips broke, had to visit three stores to find them. Fortunately my area has a bunch of auto parts stores close by. Quite an ordeal/expense, between the driving around and work, probably three hours of time and $300 to change the battery on a car that's only 3.5 years old.

So the ZF fluid change is a bit odd. I believe you replace the entire pan since it's plastic and has the built in filter. And the fluid used to be quite expensive... Overall its about $300 in parts in my recollection.

Thanks, that is a nicer write up than what I'd seen. Seems like a bit of a PITA as well for a fluid change. I wonder if it actually matters/needs to be changed.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:48 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:33 pm

Thanks, that is a nicer write up than what I'd seen. Seems like a bit of a PITA as well for a fluid change. I wonder if it actually matters/needs to be changed.
depends. If you plan on keeping it to 150-200k yes, if you're going to keep it to 100k no.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I'm going to change the tranny fluid in the 440i @ 50K miles. Use ZF Lifeguard Fluid only. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/lifegu ... 7109031201. And yes, of course flush the coolant and change the diff(s) fluid.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:56 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:48 pm

depends. If you plan on keeping it to 150-200k yes, if you're going to keep it to 100k no.
Drive around in a Chevy Traverse with 200K miles on it, you are a peasant of infathomably low caste. Drive around in a Jeep with 200K miles on it, you are a rugged individualist with an old soul and incredible depth of character. Change the fluid.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:18 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:56 pm

Drive around in a Chevy Traverse with 200K miles on it, you are a peasant of infathomably low caste. Drive around in a Jeep with 200K miles on it, you are a rugged individualist with an old soul and incredible depth of character. Change the fluid.
Yep. Regardless of whether we’re the long haul owners it’s worth preserving well.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:tits: did suggest if we have a kid that I keep the 86, keep the Brep Beep as a daily and get her a new car but I don’t think I’m going for that, too much :wasteful: and I don’t really want two SUVs.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:59 pm :tits: did suggest if we have a kid that I keep the 86, keep the Brep Beep as a daily and get her a new car but I don’t think I’m going for that, too much :wasteful: and I don’t really want two SUVs.
Haha. She tried to pull the ole Switcheroo on ya!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:23 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:59 pm :tits: did suggest if we have a kid that I keep the 86, keep the Brep Beep as a daily and get her a new car but I don’t think I’m going for that, too much :wasteful: and I don’t really want two SUVs.
Haha. She tried to pull the ole Switcheroo on ya!
Kinda but I think she thought she was doing me a solid, keeping the 86 and Beep Beep. Reality is who knows what’ll happen, I’m not too worried, hopefully we can just make these two cars work as long as possible.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

86 also needs new pads and rotors at 6400 miles :disgust:

Kind of wild that the factory stuff on a car that comes with free track time held up so poorly. It was on track for one hour total and has maybe five or six days of mountain road aggressive driving, the rest is highway/derping about.

I took it to the Toyota rape palace because the brakes were making noise and they were basically like ‘you must have been tracking this car and this isn’t covered under warranty’. So time for some better pads and rotors.