Griff's Garage

Strut your greasy stuff!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:22 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:13 pm

Well… the damn shop ghosted me, fully dark and locked up at the agreed upon time so I left. I called and texted and still haven’t heard anything. Had to head to the airport and won’t be home for a week so I guess they can suck by balls and I’m not doing it. It was full front, rockers, basically track pack.

I am now wondering if I’ll even bother. It’s a lot of money for a car that can only fetch $31k on C&B, if I might sell due to the kid thing in a year or so :iono: a doubt a few rock chips would take away that much value.
Wow. Fuck them. It’s probably not worth it then if you’re even thinking about it like that. Especially if there’s the possibility you’re going to :nuke: it for a :baby:

I only did mine since this is the forever car and a baby seat will fit in it just fine.
I love this car and do hope to keep it but it’s certainly an area of uncertainty. :iono: I’ll still think about it but I’m now :sass: :butwhy:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:41 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:22 pm

Wow. Fuck them. It’s probably not worth it then if you’re even thinking about it like that. Especially if there’s the possibility you’re going to :nuke: it for a :baby:

I only did mine since this is the forever car and a baby seat will fit in it just fine.
I love this car and do hope to keep it but it’s certainly an area of uncertainty. :iono: I’ll still think about it but I’m now :sass: :butwhy:
I don’t see the point of every car being the “baby” car. You already have the jeep. So :whocares: if CF doesn’t fit in the fun car
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:26 pm
D Griff wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:41 pm

I don’t see the point of every car being the “baby” car. You already have the jeep. So :whocares: if CF doesn’t fit in the fun car
It’s kind of cart before the horse at this point anyway. The real issue would be that :tits: won’t operate the 1940s tranny.
max225

D Griff wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:25 pm

It’s kind of cart before the horse at this point anyway. The real issue would be that :tits: won’t operate the 1940s tranny.
The point is you have the car now. Nothing will change once you have the kid. You won’t magically need to have it be available for “family” duty . No need to offload it for that
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:25 pm

Yeah, if one car can't function for kid duty and that same car can't be driven by the spouse, she'll either be on the hook for all kid-schlepping duties or be a pedestrian when you take the kiddo anywhere.

We dealt with that with the GTI + Atlas combo since the GTI couldn't carry all three. Wasn't ideal, but that was also during COVID so it wasn't like we were going anywhere anyway. Once she was back in the office a couple times a week, that necessitated a second car capable of ferrying all three - enter the :minivan:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I did wind up replacing the brakes with the Power Stop track day set, pads and rotors. Fronts were shot, rears had plenty of life. It of course took me four hours because I'm not an internet superhero, but all in all, was a pretty easy/standard brake job. I also washed the car. I haven't actually driven it yet, so no review for now. They claim you need to bed in the brakes which I'm :notsure: about, seems pretty sketchy to do on the mean streets.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:57 pm I did wind up replacing the brakes with the Power Stop track day set, pads and rotors. Fronts were shot, rears had plenty of life. It of course took me four hours because I'm not an internet superhero, but all in all, was a pretty easy/standard brake job. I also washed the car. I haven't actually driven it yet, so no review for now. They claim you need to bed in the brakes which I'm :notsure: about, seems pretty sketchy to do on the mean streets.
absoluetly bed the brakes
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:35 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:57 pm I did wind up replacing the brakes with the Power Stop track day set, pads and rotors. Fronts were shot, rears had plenty of life. It of course took me four hours because I'm not an internet superhero, but all in all, was a pretty easy/standard brake job. I also washed the car. I haven't actually driven it yet, so no review for now. They claim you need to bed in the brakes which I'm :notsure: about, seems pretty sketchy to do on the mean streets.
I did the best I could... kind of tough to go out and do a bunch of aggressive 80-10 MPH stops really anywhere. I went out around 9 PM and found some open road in an industrial/business park area.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

New brakes are a significant improvement in feel. I honestly didn't think pedal feel would change all that much with pads/rotors, but the initial bite is a very nice change.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:37 am

I did the best I could... kind of tough to go out and do a bunch of aggressive 80-10 MPH stops really anywhere. I went out around 9 PM and found some open road in an industrial/business park area.
Yea, it is. I would always do something similar. Get them just hot enough to begin to smell then drive normal and let cool slowly.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:38 am New brakes are a significant improvement in feel. I honestly didn't think pedal feel would change all that much with pads/rotors, but the initial bite is a very nice change.
:nice:

Brake feel is definitely one of my biggest complaints about this car.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:04 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:38 am New brakes are a significant improvement in feel. I honestly didn't think pedal feel would change all that much with pads/rotors, but the initial bite is a very nice change.
:nice:

Brake feel is definitely one of my biggest complaints about this car.
Yep, it's pretty :poop: honestly, and really the only input that doesn't feel amazing. Throttle, steering, shifter, are all as good as it gets for a 2023. I may do some SS lines next time I change the fluid as well and see if that further helps a tad. I saw a thing on the forums about using some waxables from a past WRX that are available new for pretty cheap, but hopefully that isn't necessary.
max225

That seems a bit excessive... I thought it was like 5 runs from 60>5 or something like that... 80 to 10 is boiling those fkers
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:50 pm

That seems a bit excessive... I thought it was like 5 runs from 60>5 or something like that... 80 to 10 is boiling those fkers
The box said five from 60-10 then five from 80-10 IIRC. I did what I could do :aintcare: Should be good enough for me when it's just going to be like 2 track days/year and a few mountain trips.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:01 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:50 pm
The box said five from 60-10 then five from 80-10 IIRC. I did what I could do :aintcare: Should be good enough for me when it's just going to be like 2 track days/year and a few mountain trips.
I hope these last a bit longer than the 4 digit miles. Let us know if the NVH changes also.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:36 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:01 pm

I hope these last a bit longer than the 4 digit miles. Let us know if the NVH changes also.
I’m hoping so too. No downsides/noise so far! They probably dust more but these wheels get so filthy regardless I’m kinda :aintcare: It’s quite strange, all of the holes/spokes just collect dirt unlike anything I’ve seen on any car.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:15 am

I’m hoping so too. No downsides/noise so far! They probably dust more but these wheels get so filthy regardless I’m kinda :aintcare: It’s quite strange, all of the holes/spokes just collect dirt unlike anything I’ve seen on any car.
They make a wax/sealant for wheels that helps with this. It won’t make it go away, but will lessen your frequency. I originally put them on the wrangler, and worked quite well. Need to add to the Trailcawk & 3.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

My STI did that too. Was really tough to keep the wheels clean.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

My new wheels for the :poorvette: are gonna be seppuku if I don't coat them first.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:11 am

They make a wax/sealant for wheels that helps with this. It won’t make it go away, but will lessen your frequency. I originally put them on the wrangler, and worked quite well. Need to add to the Trailcawk & 3.
Yep, I should get this, would make them a lot easier to clean too I'm sure. Hopefully it goes on the matte finish nicely.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:47 am
J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:11 am

Yep, I should get this, would make them a lot easier to clean too I'm sure. Hopefully it goes on the matte finish nicely.
We should GTG in Jeremy's garage and do our :ramz:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:35 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:47 am

I like it. Or in my driveway, I have plenty of jacks and whatnot.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:03 pm

Well TBD on the wheels sitch :lolol:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:03 pm

My wheels came and I have plenty of "ceramic" spray if you want to do this in a couplaaaaaaa two tree weeks.

Although you might want to do some research about whether your satin finish will remain. Nearly all mine says yes, but "satin specific" products do exist.