Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:13 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:11 pm

Yeah it's the first piece of home exercise equipment that really looks worth the money to me.
My only worry is that the network behind it collapses at some point.

Aside from that, it's a very well thought-out piece of equipment. And I usually view most home machines other than weight racks or benches with a lot of skepticism.
Fair concern, but I'd think that since you're paying monthly there's a low likelihood that their stuff won't be backwards compatible for a few years at least.

So it's $2k plus $39/mo for a year minimum? And what does the $39 get you, just access to the classes or does it lock out the computer screen if you don't pay? Can the thing browse the internet and youtube and whatnot?
Johnny_P

This thing looks pretty awesome, not gonna lie. I'd be a beast rn if I had one of these to play with all winter.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:22 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:18 pm

The cost and (according to the reviews) accompanying build quality of the bike make me think the network is going to be around for while.....
:dat:

I've been watching the brand for a while, and finally deemed it worthy of a purchase. Plus the wife endorsed it and is excited to use it.
Agreed.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:36 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:24 pm This thing looks pretty awesome, not gonna lie. I'd be a beast rn if I had one of these to play with all winter.
I wanna be fast and fit again. Fuck this fat and slow shit.
Yeah dude you're a fat slow fuck now :rolleyes: you can still obliterate me

IDGAF anymore brah. I ride for fun. Trying to figure out how to get an offroad flask mounted on the cross bike :hubba: Might get one of them handlebar snack pouches too for gummy bears and beers.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:36 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:24 pm This thing looks pretty awesome, not gonna lie. I'd be a beast rn if I had one of these to play with all winter.
I wanna be fast and fit again. Fuck this fat and slow shit.
I've got this covered.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:35 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:22 pm

Fair concern, but I'd think that since you're paying monthly there's a low likelihood that their stuff won't be backwards compatible for a few years at least.

So it's $2k plus $39/mo for a year minimum? And what does the $39 get you, just access to the classes or does it lock out the computer screen if you don't pay? Can the thing browse the internet and youtube and whatnot?
Si. The $39/mo gets you access to the classes, both live and recorded, access to scenic rides, and access to all of your metric data from your rides. I think you can have up to 4 users per membership, so it made absolute sense for us.

I did the 0% financing plan for 39 months that includes the membership. For $103/mo I've got a fitness machine that does everything I need it to do, when I want it to do it. That's cheaper than a gym membership for the two of us.
:notbad: at all
I've got a free gym at work but I hate going there. Last thing I want to do is spend another hour of my day at work in their beat ass run down gym. They do have a big TV, air conditioning, and a spin bike doe. No girls on treadmills doe. And no spin classes.

I am interested to see what you think of this thing long term. I might pick one up.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:43 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:35 pm

Si. The $39/mo gets you access to the classes, both live and recorded, access to scenic rides, and access to all of your metric data from your rides. I think you can have up to 4 users per membership, so it made absolute sense for us.

I did the 0% financing plan for 39 months that includes the membership. For $103/mo I've got a fitness machine that does everything I need it to do, when I want it to do it. That's cheaper than a gym membership for the two of us.
I've got a free gym at work but I hate going there. Last thing I want to do is spend another hour of my day at work in their beat ass run down gym. They do have a big TV, air conditioning, and a spin bike doe. No girls on treadmills doe. And no spin classes.

I am interested to see what you think of this thing long term. I might pick one up.
Dem DFD Peloton group rides.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:44 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:43 pm

Dem DFD Peloton group rides.
It would be useless to me during the late spring/summer/early fall. I'd ride it in the winter doe. I legit go insane in the winter because I cannot get out and ride or do anything because dark and cold.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:52 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:40 pm

Yeah dude you're a fat slow fuck now :rolleyes: you can still obliterate me

IDGAF anymore brah. I ride for fun. Trying to figure out how to get an offroad flask mounted on the cross bike :hubba: Might get one of them handlebar snack pouches too for gummy bears and beers.
I ride for fun too, but knowing what I could do and knowing what I can't do now is frustrating.

I don't want to buy a compact crank for my road bike because my legs are :flaccid: - I want to crush hills like I used to again.

I also would love to lose about 10 lbs and get back into the 160s again.
I has compact crank on roadie. 50-34 x 11-26. Cross bike is 46-36 x 11-28 :wtf: need lower gearing on that bish. Thinking a 32t front ring and a 32t rear cog :hubba: :flaccid:
Johnny_P

Theoretically pizza ride is starting on Tuesday. Forecast is calling for potential rain in the late afternoon/early evening doe. :notsure:
Johnny_P

Suggestions on gearing changes for the cross bike?

Currently uses a cross crankset and a road cassette.
F: 46-36
R: 11-28

The issue is a low gear of 36x28 at a gearing of 1.29 is rather beastly, especially for such a beastly bike to begin with :lol: My :flaccid: legs need some gearing assistance here, especially for singletrack duty. I'm not expecting the 0.70 low gear ratio of the Trek, but I find I could use maybe "2 more gears" on the back.

So. Find a crankset that has 48-32T chainrings? And fit an 11-32 cassette which is the max the 105 derailleur can handle? That would give a 1.00 ratio.

Or should I go a bit more bonkers, get WolfTooth Road Link to expand to 36T on the rear? The current 105 long cage can wrap 37 links, which would limit me to the current 46-36 crankset, possibly with a 34T inner ring. If it's 36x36 it's 1.00, if it's 34x36 it's 0.94. 6% is unlikely to really make much difference than the 1.00. I also don't know if you can mix and match road chainrings like that, I think it starts to dick up the shifting. So this is the cheaper option to get to 1.00 ratio but it's still basically just 1.00. FYI this is equal to the 3rd gear from the top of my SLX cassette.

In that above scenario, Ultegra 8000 can wrap 39 links, which would allow a 32T inner ring paired to the 36T cassette cog, for 0.89 gearing which would be pretty nice. Just requires another $80 on a derailleur. This would be similar to 2nd gear from the top of my MTB. I don't know if 32T is even possible on a 110 BCD road crankset.

Fucking Shimano with all the pull ratios being different. 10 speed Sram was all mix and match ready. You could throw a MTB derailleur on a road bike and it was totally NFG worked with the brifters and all.

:facepalm:

I think most of my 1x cross friends have 1.00 low gear ratios with their Sram setups. Going with a frankenstein 1x setup with 10-42 XD cassette would require new drivetrain plus wheels. NGH. Well the wheels will eventually but I don't want to change absolutely everything on the drivetrain just now.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:40 pm Suggestions on gearing changes for the cross bike?

Currently uses a cross crankset and a road cassette.
F: 46-36
R: 11-28

The issue is a low gear of 36x28 at a gearing of 1.29 is rather beastly, especially for such a beastly bike to begin with :lol: My :flaccid: legs need some gearing assistance here, especially for singletrack duty. I'm not expecting the 0.70 low gear ratio of the Trek, but I find I could use maybe "2 more gears" on the back.

So. Find a crankset that has 48-32T chainrings? And fit an 11-32 cassette which is the max the 105 derailleur can handle? That would give a 1.00 ratio.

Or should I go a bit more bonkers, get WolfTooth Road Link to expand to 36T on the rear? The current 105 long cage can wrap 37 links, which would limit me to the current 46-36 crankset, possibly with a 34T inner ring. If it's 36x36 it's 1.00, if it's 34x36 it's 0.94. 6% is unlikely to really make much difference than the 1.00. I also don't know if you can mix and match road chainrings like that, I think it starts to dick up the shifting. So this is the cheaper option to get to 1.00 ratio but it's still basically just 1.00. FYI this is equal to the 3rd gear from the top of my SLX cassette.

Ideally I'd pair a 32T inner ring with a 36T cassette, maybe even a 40T. That would put me at 0.89 or 0.80 which would be just about right for singletrack use. That would require use of an XT long cage rear derailleur and a WolfTooth Tanpan shift adapter. Which seems to be a finicky piece.

Fucking Shimano with all the pull ratios being different. 10 speed Sram was all mix and match ready. You could throw a MTB derailleur on a road bike and it was totally NFG worked with the brifters and all.

:facepalm:

I think most of my 1x cross friends have 1.00 low gear ratios with their Sram setups. Going with a frankenstein 1x setup with 10-42 XD cassette would require new drivetrain plus wheels. NGH. Well the wheels will eventually but I don't want to change absolutely everything on the drivetrain just now.
Don't skip leg day.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:45 pmDon't skip leg day.
Cross races are designed so if there's something steep or challenging you dismount and run up the obstacle. Which is fine if you're racing in a field, it's a pain in the ass to dismount on a rocky/rooted/whatever trail. I don't need to be the fastest, I just need gearing appropriate for me to ride more things instead of dismount like you would in a cross race.

You can't diesel around tight turns. :lol:
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:54 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:45 pmDon't skip leg day.
Cross races are designed so if there's something steep or challenging you dismount and run up the obstacle. Which is fine if you're racing in a field, it's a pain in the ass to dismount on a rocky/rooted/whatever trail. I don't need to be the fastest, I just need gearing appropriate for me to ride more things instead of dismount like you would in a cross race.

You can't diesel around tight turns. :lol:
:lol:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

hello fellow bike enthusiasts. I too am a fat slow fuck.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:07 pm Just go with smaller front rings. Easier, cheaper, at least until you go full :wasteful: on new wheels and derailleur and cassette and everything else.
I'll look for a 46-30 or 46-32 crankset and pair it with an 11-32 cassette.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:42 am Knapp's doing a 20% off Pivot Mach 429 sale right now...

:doit: :doit: :doit:
:doit: :wasteful: :doit:
:doit: :doit: :doit:
Ja I might have to check that out. When I tested the mach429 I thought it rode like a dump truck though. Certainly not a couch.
Johnny_P

Philly brehs... Giant/Liv doing a demo day in the wiss. Free hour long hoonage of a ~$4k mountain bike.

Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:53 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:53 am

Ja I might have to check that out. When I tested the mach429 I thought it rode like a dump truck though. Certainly not a couch.
Did you play with suspension tuning at all? Probably needed less air for your weight.

I sent a text to the owner for a stock check in Large.
They set it to whatever the recommendation was on their chart but no I didn't play with the air pressure. I had no interest in buying so I didn't want to bother them too much. This was riding around the block in Hood River, Oregon :lol:
The switchblade doe... :megusta: that was a couch that could climb. That bike was nuts.
Johnny_P

46-30 doesn't appear to be a widely offered combo just yet. Only a handful of options and they're all :waxer: The White Industries R30 crank is Godly, but so is the price. That can accept any chainring combos, any BB, and easily swap to 1x. It's really ideal. Arms alone are $300, then add rings, bolts and caps, and their BB, and you're like $600-700 for a goddamn crank. lolno. I'd be OK with $200 ish.

Same crank this Aussie brah has, on my frame.

11-32 or 11-36 cassettes are readily available doe. And cheaper at $80 ish.

:notsure: I guess I'll hold off on ordering that shit until I can borrow/ride around on a friend's Sram 1x whip. 40T x 10-42T would give nearly the exact same gear ratios that I'm trying to get, just with greater jumps between gears. Maybe those jumps don't matter much though. Should be able to find out at first pizza ride.

I'm not opposed to upgrading the groupset early on. I saved about $1300 by going with this bike on fire sale instead of the other one which I was OK with shelling the money out for but it flat out wasn't available. I could build it to close to that same spec for similar cost with Rival 1x and nicer wheels, I'd just be with cable disc instead of hydro, and steel fork instead of CF.

One thing is for sure. I gotta sort this out before mid June. I've committed to a brutal and long gravel hill ride / bike camping party in central PA. 15% grade on gravel on this gearing will destroy me after 1 climb.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Fingers crossed that the trails will be dry enough by this afternoon to take the Trance on its maiden voyage. :fuckyeah:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:26 amLeg day/fat camp training. You need it.
Pretty much

I mean I can slog it up hills, I rode most of the shit I could physically clear in Belmont and the Wiss. It's just geared really tall for what I want to do. Why not make singletrack more enjoyable if I can?
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:34 am Fingers crossed that the trails will be dry enough by this afternoon to take the Trance on its maiden voyage. :fuckyeah:
in4deets

don't put this one into a tree and off a cliff too :yikes:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote:
coogles wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:34 am Fingers crossed that the trails will be dry enough by this afternoon to take the Trance on its maiden voyage. :fuckyeah:
in4deets

don't put this one into a tree and off a cliff too :yikes:
:sass:

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:16 pm I want my new :225: to arrive for the Whorbea. I wanna ride.
My rear tire is missing some knobs. I should probably do something about that.

Still gonna send it doe.