Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:02 pm Keep in mind you'll pay import tariffs on anything over $600 I think it is. So that's going to add like $180-200 onto the cost.
:disappoint:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Just did a test checkout on the 29" version and it quotes shipping plus import duties at $105.50. So that'd be ~$1,775 to my door. A Fathom would be $1,480, then with a 9% discount $1,346.80, but then add 7% for sales tax and I'm back to $1,441. Plus I'd yank off the cross country tires right away, so there's another $100+. Seems to me like the price different is well worth it.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:11 pm Just did a test checkout on the 29" version and it quotes shipping plus import duties at $105.50. So that'd be ~$1,775 to my door. A Fathom would be $1,480, then with a 9% discount $1,346.80, but then add 7% for sales tax and I'm back to $1,441. Plus I'd yank off the cross country tires right away, so there's another $100+. Seems to me like the price different is well worth it.
:notbad: :doit: when they get more stock in
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:27 pm :notbad: :doit: when they get more stock in
Got a reply and they're not sure when they'll get more in stock. I signed up for a stock alert, but who knows how long that will be. :(
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:53 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:27 pm :notbad: :doit: when they get more stock in
Got a reply and they're not sure when they'll get more in stock. I signed up for a stock alert, but who knows how long that will be. :(
I signed up for a stock alert from chain reaction for an SLX groupset. Never happened so I bought it all from Jenson for like $20 more :iono:
Johnny_P

Took a 23 mile ride out to my girlfriend's parents' house this weekend on the Cervelo. Was good.

Cervelo is riding nicely, the Ritchey carbon post made a massive difference in ride quality. To hell with that Zipp aluminum stuff, way too stiff. Went back to the 90mm stem and the wonky handling went away too. Bike is worth keeping now. Needs a new front wheel, the hub is trashed, or maybe just needs new bearings. Who knows. A CF wheelset would make it ride totally primo though and I'm super tempted to do that. Like a used Zipp 202 or something. Cheaper than a new bike at least.

It's interesting now that I have a Sram and a Shimano roadish bike. The Shimano shifters feel a little easier to use if you're delirious and out of it but they don't shift as quickly or crisply as the Sram does. Shimano hoods feel better. I dunno I'd probably lean Shimano for road bikes just for the ergonomics. But Sram for MTB, as the shift action is far superior IMO. We'll see how this year goes with the new SLX parts I threw on the MTB.
Johnny_P

Also new Crank Bros candys come in today for the MTB. I had to poach the eggbeaters for the Macho Man. Hoping the little platform on the candys helps out with missed clip-ins over rough stuff.

Also gotta sell the steel roadie now that I bought my new boat anchor. There's no reason to keep it. Anyone want a vintage handmade steel road bike in excellent condition? I'll throw new bar tape on it for you :wub:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:53 pm Took a 23 mile ride out to my girlfriend's parents' house this weekend on the Cervelo. Was good.

Cervelo is riding nicely, the Ritchey carbon post made a massive difference in ride quality. To hell with that Zipp aluminum stuff, way too stiff. Went back to the 90mm stem and the wonky handling went away too. Bike is worth keeping now. Needs a new front wheel, the hub is trashed, or maybe just needs new bearings. Who knows. A CF wheelset would make it ride totally primo though and I'm super tempted to do that. Like a used Zipp 202 or something. Cheaper than a new bike at least.

It's interesting now that I have a Sram and a Shimano roadish bike. The Shimano shifters feel a little easier to use if you're delirious and out of it but they don't shift as quickly or crisply as the Sram does. Shimano hoods feel better. I dunno I'd probably lean Shimano for road bikes just for the ergonomics. But Sram for MTB, as the shift action is far superior IMO. We'll see how this year goes with the new SLX parts I threw on the MTB.
Sounds like good times, dude. I really need to get out on the CAAD, but the weather here has been absolute garbage so far this "spring". 8 inches of snow a few days ago, warmer now but enough rain to generate a flash flood warning in some areas. Just, ugh.

Giant demo day this Saturday, hopefully the trails won't be pure mud.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:55 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:53 pm Took a 23 mile ride out to my girlfriend's parents' house this weekend on the Cervelo. Was good.

Sounds like good times, dude. I really need to get out on the CAAD, but the weather here has been absolute garbage so far this "spring". 8 inches of snow a few days ago, warmer now but enough rain to generate a flash flood warning in some areas. Just, ugh.

Giant demo day this Saturday, hopefully the trails won't be pure mud.
Oh nice. Yeah hope you get a chance to shred. You've done a back to back with the Anthem and Trance right?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:58 pm Oh nice. Yeah hope you get a chance to shred. You've done a back to back with the Anthem and Trance right?
I have. I don't plan to drop the ~$4k it'd take to get a TA2, but if Giant wants to let me take one out for an hour for free, you bet your ass I'm going to do it.

I really preferred the Trance. It seemed way more playful to me than the Anthem, which is the opposite I guess of what you'd expect. Short travel bike should be poppy and agile, but the Anthem seemed like the serious bike of the two.

I think mostly it came down to the cockpit. The Anthem has a shorter top tube and a lower front end, which puts you in much more of a cross-country type position. It felt like I was "on" the Anthem, but "in" the Trance. The Trance was much more confidence-inspiring and exponentially more fun. I'd just sold the Orbea and was in rage quit mode with mountain biking, but I was grinning ear to ear after a couple loops with the Trance.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:19 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:58 pm Oh nice. Yeah hope you get a chance to shred. You've done a back to back with the Anthem and Trance right?
I have. I don't plan to drop the ~$4k it'd take to get a TA2, but if Giant wants to let me take one out for an hour for free, you bet your ass I'm going to do it.

I really preferred the Trance. It seemed way more playful to me than the Anthem, which is the opposite I guess of what you'd expect. Short travel bike should be poppy and agile, but the Anthem seemed like the serious bike of the two.

I think mostly it came down to the cockpit. The Anthem has a shorter top tube and a lower front end, which puts you in much more of a cross-country type position. It felt like I was "on" the Anthem, but "in" the Trance. The Trance was much more confidence-inspiring and exponentially more fun. I'd just sold the Orbea and was in rage quit mode with mountain biking, but I was grinning ear to ear after a couple loops with the Trance.
Yeah I really am curious. I'd have loved to ride a Trance at the demo day I went to but it was NGH with how long the flatbrims were taking to get bikes out of the tent. Kind of funny though isn't it? 130mm 27.5 bike would have been solidly "trail" or "all mountain" just 3 years ago. And now it's XC :lol:

From my limited experience on the trance, the anthem does feel faster and more twitchy where the trance felt like it wanted to go bigger. Just kind of felt a little unwieldy to me, like it's built for things I'll never encounter in Philly. I did quite enjoy the super short chainstays of the Anthem though, that bike just wanted to jump everything. The Trance wanted to soak it all up. :iono: I only rode the trance on the street and ramped it off some sick curbs brah so my opinion likely doesn't count for anything at all.

You could buy Carl's bike if you want though. He's still got it listed on Facebook Northeast Bike Classifieds group.
2016 Giant Trance SX 27.5
$1,800
Philadelphia, PA
Selling my 2016 Giant Trance SX 27.5 (Size Large) for $1800.

This bike has been ridden for about 1.5 years and has been professionally maintained by local shops in the Philadelphia area. Great all around bike with an emphasis on descending/gravity - this thing eats up big hits and keeps you rolling fast!

The bike is stock minus a replacement chain ring that I put on about 6 months ago. There are some minor paint chips/scratches but overall this bike is in great shape.
If you want details of the build please see the link below -
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-sx-27dot5-2016

Willing to ship or deliver depending on how much seller will contribute, but would prefer local pickup or delivery.
Aluminum frame, some scuffs, questionable sticker on the top tube that IDK what's underneath it, lol. Brakes were tighter than a female mathlete and shifters were spot on. No squeaking or creaking or anything and the fork was smooth.
Johnny_P

His dropper post was wobbly from what I remember. Not a huge deal but I'd put a new post on there if it were me. Rest of the bike was fine IMO.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I need a Medium.

<--------short.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:56 pm I need a Medium.

<--------short.
:rage:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:05 pm
coogles wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:56 pm I need a Medium.

<--------short.
:rage:
Dat 5'10" life. Also have a 33" cycling inseam, so bikes that are too long up top are no bueno for me. My wife is 5'6" and we're eye to eye when we sit down. :lol:
Johnny_P

Candys are on, rear brake is bled and working correctly, all parts seem to be working. Bike is ready for a shakedown run. Now about this weather...

Sticker bombed the seatpost. Was silver and didn’t match a damn thing. Not sure about this but whatever. It only cost $2 and is reversible.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Seat post sort of matches the fork now. :notbad:

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Several teams in our larger organization at work are doing a fitness challenge for the highest number of miles ridden or run. One mile running counts for 3 miles on the bike. Since I despise running I thought I'd contribute on the bike(?s) instead, but I need a way to track my mileage. I'm looking for a computer that can track my speed while I'm on the rollers, but also one with GPS for when I'm actually on the road or trails. Garmin 520 a good choice?

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/garm ... e-computer

I've started to see Wahoo computers getting more pub but know pretty much nothing about them.

Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:27 pm Several teams in our larger organization at work are doing a fitness challenge for the highest number of miles ridden or run. One mile running counts for 3 miles on the bike. Since I despise running I thought I'd contribute on the bike(?s) instead, but I need a way to track my mileage. I'm looking for a computer that can track my speed while I'm on the rollers, but also one with GPS for when I'm actually on the road or trails. Garmin 520 a good choice?

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/garm ... e-computer

I've started to see Wahoo computers getting more pub but know pretty much nothing about them.

Garmin. You can use strava app on phone to track rides though.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:20 pm Seat post sort of matches the fork now. :notbad:

I guess I could re-sticker the fork. Just get black Fox stickers on ebay. From China. Whatever. I'd really love a Fox32 step cast orange fork for this bike, or something stupid light like a SID. But that would cost more than she's worth and I don't think they make 120mm forks with straight steerers. There's always adapter headsets I guess but meh.

That would also require a different hub I think because the Sram I bought doesn't have caps to accommodate 15mm through axles. I shoulda looked into that :facepalm:
Johnny_P

Bike is so damn :megusta: now it's insane.

Wider bars give a lot more confidence and stability coming off a trail feature. Shorter stem sped up the steering quite a bit, I've got to re-learn this bike now. Instead of the reluctant to turn monster truck feeling, it now rides much lighter on the front and therefore seems much quicker to change direction. Awesome. Wheels feel stiff and I didn't have any dropped or thrown chains... engagement sucks on them but they were cheap so who cares. Set up tubeless really easy. The Shimano SLX... I don't like all that much. But it shifts decently quickly and the clutched rear is great. 11-46t cassette with a 32t ring is perfect gearing but going into the 46t sucks as the pedals get really grainy and there's a lot of driveline feedback. No me gusta. It shifts slower than my previous Sram stuff too. Also the shifters are in a strange location, not what I'm used too. The upshift trigger is too far inboard or something. Trying to readjust it but IDK if it has enough room to move on the integrated mount, might need the regular bar mount for it. Crank Bros Candy pedals have a nice little platform that's super useful and a lot easier to just jump on it and ride.

All in all it's pretty solid now. Front end is still a bit of a noodle due to that fork but whatever. It absolutely crushed Belmont on Friday night, with me clearing some epic tree trunks that I never have before due to the added clearance and greater stability from the longer bars. I did whack the bars on a few things though so lol gotta watch that.

:fuckyeah:
Last edited by Johnny_P on Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

Also the only size Large Specialized Stumpjumper in the entire Philly area is a $6600 Pro 29er with Ohlins dampers. :rolleyes:

There's ONE Large Specialized Camber for $4400.

I'm not joking when I say the shops don't stock shit around here.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

:megusta:

Looks like a good time, dude. We're supposed to get some nice weather on Friday, same day my bonus drops. :ohdang:

Seems like a day to:
  • Take a random day of PTO
  • 8am - wake up and look at my bank account like Image
  • 8:30 am - give half of it to the feds since we owe so damn much in taxes this year :disappoint: :(
  • 11am - be there when the doors open at BGI to buy my Fathom
  • 11:30am - hit the trails at Fort Ben
  • 5pm - Realize my whole bonus is gone. :aintcare:
:fuckyeah:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:45 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:11 pm Also the only size Large Specialized Stumpjumper in the entire Philly area is a $6600 Pro 29er with Ohlins dampers. :rolleyes:

There's ONE Large Specialized Camber for $4400.

I'm not joking when I say the shops don't stock shit around here.
Well, when the MTB options are deeper than the Salt Mines of DFD, I don't blame the shops for not carrying anything.

Find all of the demo days and plan some trips. Or go to Dirtfest.
That's the only way to test stuff now. Either :dat: or I'll just order a highlighter during a sale.
I got an email from Keswick Cycle saying they were having a sale, 10%-50% off everything. Caveat is they have nothing in stock :lol: Oh well.
Johnny_P

Philly bros: Friday and Saturday shaping up to be hella nice. Trails should be dry too. :popcorn: