Truk Talk: Invest in Trukcoin!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:58 pm
The engine/trans is the only compelling reason to buy this. Check out 8:03, that blue truck's interior. The seat fabric is already starting to fall apart. There's Ford quality right there. That seat collapsing happens to every single fucking F150 we have and they're legit garbage to sit in once it does.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:02 pmFord is doomed.
They pulled the entire company around :amazing: when they brought in Mulally, but he had a vision and direction. Current management doesn't, and they're fucked. I sold all my stock a while ago.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:37 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:02 pmFord is doomed.
:wrong:

They will get a gov. handout just like gm did. Too big to fail.
I guess it's inevitable.

Odd difference though, it seems that FCA and GM learned the lesson from 08/9 and have turned things toward a more positive direction. Ferd has just been spiraling around the toilet drain for the last few years. You'd think a near-death experience would teach better lessons, but it seems as though Ferd dumped way too much capital into the tin can F-150 and sacrificed everything else in the process.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:21 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:37 am

:wrong:

They will get a gov. handout just like gm did. Too big to fail.
I guess it's inevitable.

Odd difference though, it seems that FCA and GM learned the lesson from 08/9 and have turned things toward a more positive direction. Ferd has just been spiraling around the toilet drain for the last few years. You'd think a near-death experience would teach better lessons, but it seems as though Ferd dumped way too much capital into the tin can F-150 and sacrificed everything else in the process.
I think the lesson ford learned is "well fuck being careful if the gov is just going to bail out everyone"

One could make the argument that Ford would a dominant force in the auto industry, possibly number 1 world wide if we'd have allowed GM & FCA to fail and let Ford buy up the scraps.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:33 am
I guess it's inevitable.

I think the lesson ford learned is "well fuck being careful if the gov is just going to bail out everyone"

One could make the argument that Ford would a dominant force in the auto industry, possibly number 1 world wide if we'd have allowed GM & FCA to fail and let Ford buy up the scraps.
Depends. Ford was mortgaged to the max to survive 09. Unless the .gov GAVE them the scraps (maybe), I'm not sure they would have been able to manage all of it. Clearly, there was not much long-term planning going on, and with the fallout from suppliers going under and supply chain severely crippled (if GM and Chrysler went away), it's likely Ford would have gone under too.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

I guess it's inevitable.

When Mulally left they lost their direction. Weak company leadership. Put all the coins in the F150 bucket, let cars die, extend product platforms way too long, etc. Old Ford mentality.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

dubshow wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:52 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:06 pm
:notbad:
:dat:

:notbad: but those arent really cheap, i dont tink.
I know a guy that works for Knapheide. Will get you good :dill:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:57 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:45 am

When Mulally left they lost their direction. Weak company leadership. Put all the coins in the F150 bucket, let cars die, extend product platforms way too long, etc. Old Ford mentality.

Mulally was no :fullretard:
Ford LOVES to let product platforms go entirely too long between refreshes. Their entire lineup is ~5 years old at this point, nothing new in it aside from the :disgust: Ecosport piece of garbage.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:19 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:13 pm

Ford LOVES to let product platforms go entirely too long between refreshes. Their entire lineup is ~5 years old at this point, nothing new in it aside from the :disgust: Ecosport piece of garbage.
The Ecosport isn't new either, it's from India.
I know.
And the "new" ranger is old as shit.
Honestly I don't see why anyone would buy the "new" ranger over any of the other mid size trucks. Maybe the engine? But not like the other trucks have shitty motors.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:21 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:19 pm

The Ecosport isn't new either, it's from India.
I know.
And the "new" ranger is old as shit.
Honestly I don't see why anyone would buy the "new" ranger over any of the other mid size trucks. Maybe the engine? But not like the other trucks have shitty motors.
Best I can figure is powertrain and brand loyalty. There'd a LOT of Ferd TRUCK fanbois.

The 2.3 has legit power specs, but I've heard mixed reviews of the 10 speed paired with it.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:16 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:34 pm
Best I can figure is powertrain and brand loyalty. There'd a LOT of Ferd TRUCK fanbois.

The 2.3 has legit power specs, but I've heard mixed reviews of the 10 speed paired with it.
Isn't the 10 speed a GM/Ferd co-project?

:popcorn:
Yep. And I've heard mixed reviews on it.

I haven't driven one yet. I'm still a big fan of our 8-speed. Ford went all-in on the 10 speed because they have no other options.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:16 pm Isn't the 10 speed a GM/Ferd co-project?

:popcorn:
Yep. And I've heard mixed reviews on it.

I haven't driven one yet. I'm still a big fan of our 8-speed. Ford went all-in on the 10 speed because they have no other options.
Everything I've heard has been :fuckyeah: on the new Schwinn. It makes me want a mustang, short gearing for real world fun and long ass highway gears = winning.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:33 pm
Detroit wrote: Yep. And I've heard mixed reviews on it.

Everything I've heard has been :fuckyeah: on the new Schwinn. It makes me want a mustang, short gearing for real world fun and long ass highway gears = winning.
I heard in the trucks that it constantly hunts and is programmed to reach the highest gear in the shortest amount of time possible.

That sounds like :disgust:
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:47 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:33 pm Everything I've heard has been :fuckyeah: on the new Schwinn. It makes me want a mustang, short gearing for real world fun and long ass highway gears = winning.
I heard in the trucks that it constantly hunts and is programmed to reach the highest gear in the shortest amount of time possible.

Exactly what everyone complained about on the new automatic tacos
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:38 am

Depends. Ford was mortgaged to the max to survive 09. Unless the .gov GAVE them the scraps (maybe), I'm not sure they would have been able to manage all of it. Clearly, there was not much long-term planning going on, and with the fallout from suppliers going under and supply chain severely crippled (if GM and Chrysler went away), it's likely Ford would have gone under too.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:50 am

Yeah, I'm not convinced anything more than 8 speeds is a reasonable number of gears - might as well have a CVT at that point.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:50 am

Yeah, I'm not convinced anything more than 8 speeds is a reasonable number of gears - might as well have a CVT at that point.
There’s nothing inherently wrong with a CVT. The 5AT in my work exploded certainly wishes it was a CVT.
Johnny_P

dtraill27 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:53 pm

I’m still curious how bad those transmissions actually are. I’d love a Taco.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:11 am
dtraill27 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:53 pm

Nothing wrong with tacos. They are market leaders for many reasons.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:09 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:11 am

I loved the last gen ones. Yeah the damping wasn't fantastic and the brakes were weak, but everything else was good. They had that Jeep "I wanna drive over all the shit" feeling that many other trucks/suvs don't have. I liked the way the Frontier drove better, but I had a draw to the "let's go get rowdy" feeling of the Tacos.

I should Taco. Most days I'd be able to park it without issue.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:25 am
max225 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:09 am

I loved the last gen ones. Yeah the damping wasn't fantastic and the brakes were weak, but everything else was good. They had that Jeep "I wanna drive over all the shit" feeling that many other trucks/suvs don't have. I liked the way the Frontier drove better, but I had a draw to the "let's go get rowdy" feeling of the Tacos.

Y taco over 4Runner ? Taco is like 220 inches long in 4 door trim, vs 190 in the suv that makes more sense
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:27 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:25 am

Y taco over 4Runner ? Taco is like 220 inches long in 4 door trim, vs 190 in the suv that makes more sense
500 lbs heavier + higher center of gravity means the 4R drives like an absolute pig. Length is certainly more ideal though, and an enclosed cargo area is better for the city no doubt. 4R is also wider than the Taco, it wouldn't fit down my street.
ChrisoftheNorth

I was always amazed by how limited headroom is in Tacos. I can't sit in one comfortably. It feels like the seat vertical adjustment gets stuck before it can go all the way down. Every one I've been in feels like this.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:31 am I was always amazed by how limited headroom is in Tacos. I can't sit in one comfortably. It feels like the seat vertical adjustment gets stuck before it can go all the way down. Every one I've been in feels like this.
Interesting. Yeah the interior is more like a sedan than a full size. I don't recall having a problem with the seat height. IIRC you're taller than I am though.

Things I didn't like about the Taco were short bottom seat cushions and a steering wheel that only telescoped about 1" which is rather worthless. But probably doesn't matter because automatic and NFG driving anyway. The seats though, yeah I'd have to test drive one for a little bit to see if that's an issue. I got used to it on my WRX though :iono:
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:31 am I was always amazed by how limited headroom is in Tacos. I can't sit in one comfortably. It feels like the seat vertical adjustment gets stuck before it can go all the way down. Every one I've been in feels like this.
Yep it doesn’t have much headroom