Strut your greasy stuff!
SixSpeeder
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiat

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
SixSpeeder wrote:
I've been eyeing Wranglers.

The handling is really good, and the exhaust note is hilarious. And the price can't be beat. It's fun that you can go WOT everywhere without breaking the law, and the wailing exhaust note and pops makes you want to. I wish more engineers of performance cars put some effort into the exhaust system, becuase it adds a lot to a car.
This is why the grom is fun. BTW, i bought a grom. You still have yours?
SixSpeeder wrote:
I so would new Miata if I had a second vehicle for meh dog. And if it cost $10k less, there's that issue also..

sounds liek you need an FRS. The bottom has fallen out on them
I sold the Grom last November, I'll get another bike come Spring time but in the meantime I've been riding my friends CRF250. FRS doesn't have a drop top though. :gaydance:
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

SixSpeeder wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
This is why the grom is fun. BTW, i bought a grom. You still have yours?

sounds liek you need an FRS. The bottom has fallen out on them
I sold the Grom last November, I'll get another bike come Spring time but in the meantime I've been riding my friends CRF250. FRS doesn't have a drop top though. :gaydance:
sold grom? :gaydance:

buy an R3
brain go brrrrrr
SixSpeeder

[user not found] wrote:
lagunasecaballs wrote:
Buy-curious?
:lolol:

Nah, I just want to drive one. Having sat in one, I can't deal with the seating position.
Yep, dat seating position is awkward. Interior space is surprisingly good doh.
SixSpeeder

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
SixSpeeder wrote:
sold grom? :gaydance:

buy an H2R
\

:yesth:
SixSpeeder

MexicanYarisTK wrote:oh hai! could've gotten an STI then. But on the bright side, you can trade that car in without placprofit.
All the STI's were going for over $40k and dillers were not playing ball with them, I got mine for closer to $30k. I would have bought a Camaro if I was willing to drop the extra $10k.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

SixSpeeder wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:04 pm Here's meh 2016 WRX Limited TRD:

It's a great daily driver as far as being quick, returning great gas mileage, having phenomenal handling as far as maintaining traction, and having a luxurious interior with butt hotteners. Here are some of the pros and cons imo:

Pros:
- Very quick
- Unflappable handling
- Phenomenal gas mileage (over 20 mpg in the city, close to 30 mpg on the freeway)
- Classy interior when optioned out
- Came with a free Monster Energy hat
- Gets a lot of compliments

Cons:
- Unflappable handling
- Throttle mapping is AWFUL, 30% throttle equals WOT, no exaggeration.
- Quiet exhaust, needs soundaktor and/or UEL headers
- Needs LSD in dah rear
- Paint is really cheap/easily blemishes compared to other cars I've owned

Honestly, this car is boring me to death, and one of the main reasons is that the traction is too good. There is no fun to be had other than quick acceleration, it will do anything I want it to other than having a soul. It's a robot that goes fast and will contend with whatever hamfisted maneuvers I tell it to do with ease, other than getting sideways or rotating at all. Even in a snowy parking lot, this car fights you if you try to induce any rotation, it wants to shoot straight the second that you give it any throttle, and this makes it an incredibly boring car to attempt to dick around in. It's great on the street, but is extremely annoying if you're trying to take it to the limit with the car fighting you.

I think I may sell it soon, but that would mean taking about a $4000 loss. I could keep it for a year and take about the same amount of loss, so I might as well just keep it as long as I can endure (oh, the humanity). I miss my Abarf.
Very interesting I kind of missed this thread.

I find it semi amazing that many of us still kind of cross shop essentially around 10 vehicles.
Personally- I never noticed anything off about the throttle mapping in the WRX but I did think it was too slow/boring of an engine.

Why did you feel like it needs an LSD out back?
SixSpeeder

maxtdi wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:34 pm
SixSpeeder wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:04 pm Here's meh 2016 WRX Limited TRD:

It's a great daily driver as far as being quick, returning great gas mileage, having phenomenal handling as far as maintaining traction, and having a luxurious interior with butt hotteners. Here are some of the pros and cons imo:

Pros:
- Very quick
- Unflappable handling
- Phenomenal gas mileage (over 20 mpg in the city, close to 30 mpg on the freeway)
- Classy interior when optioned out
- Came with a free Monster Energy hat
- Gets a lot of compliments

Cons:
- Unflappable handling
- Throttle mapping is AWFUL, 30% throttle equals WOT, no exaggeration.
- Quiet exhaust, needs soundaktor and/or UEL headers
- Needs LSD in dah rear
- Paint is really cheap/easily blemishes compared to other cars I've owned

Honestly, this car is boring me to death, and one of the main reasons is that the traction is too good. There is no fun to be had other than quick acceleration, it will do anything I want it to other than having a soul. It's a robot that goes fast and will contend with whatever hamfisted maneuvers I tell it to do with ease, other than getting sideways or rotating at all. Even in a snowy parking lot, this car fights you if you try to induce any rotation, it wants to shoot straight the second that you give it any throttle, and this makes it an incredibly boring car to attempt to dick around in. It's great on the street, but is extremely annoying if you're trying to take it to the limit with the car fighting you.

I think I may sell it soon, but that would mean taking about a $4000 loss. I could keep it for a year and take about the same amount of loss, so I might as well just keep it as long as I can endure (oh, the humanity). I miss my Abarf.

I find it semi amazing that many of us still kind of cross shop essentially around 10 vehicles.
Personally- I never noticed anything off about the throttle mapping in the WRX but I did think it was too slow/boring of an engine.

Becuase it's impossible to get the rear end to step out with the stock open dif and I go up to the snow about once a week. The open dif setup with e-'dif' is fine for street use and is great at maintaining traction, but it's a complete buzz kill if you turn traction control off and want to have a little fun in the snow. The car fights you.

There are guys who get tuned just to eliminate the touchy throttle mapping, they even claim that the tunes are safer than stock :gaydance: becuase the stock tune gets into boost a lot more quickly with small amounts of throttle input.

Funny that you thought the engine was boring, becuase I really like the engine other than it's lack of flexibility and on/off switch nature.
max225

SixSpeeder wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:43 pm
maxtdi wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:34 pm

Becuase it's impossible to get the rear end to step out with the stock open dif and I go up to the snow about once a week. The open dif setup with e-'dif' is fine for street use and is great at maintaining traction, but it's a complete buzz kill if you turn traction control off and want to have a little fun in the snow. The car fights you.

There are guys who get tuned just to eliminate the touchy throttle mapping, they even claim that the tunes are safer than stock :gaydance: becuase the stock tune gets into boost a lot more quickly with small amounts of throttle input.

Funny that you thought the engine was boring, becuase I really like the engine other than it's lack of flexibility and on/off switch nature.
Isn't the whole point of AWD that the rear end doesn't step out?
The engine was just quiet... and it felt kind of blah in terms of power. A mk7 GTI felt faster.
SixSpeeder

maxtdi wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:45 pm
SixSpeeder wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:43 pm

Isn't the whole point of AWD that the rear end doesn't step out?
The engine was just quiet... and it felt kind of blah in terms of power. A mk7 GTI felt faster.
Yes, under normal driving circumstances, but when you chuck the car into a corner at higher speeds and get the tires slipping on purpose (wet/snowy conditions, it's very hard to reach that limit in the dry) it's noticable that the car has open differentials. There's a good reason that the STI has an LSD. My car does not feel good at the limit.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Truth be told, the STI kind of makes awesome roads a bit boring. It's super capable. You end up going really fast on them.

The drama of the STI engine and all makes it interesting at :derp: speeds doe. So I understand why you're saying WRX is boring.

I didn't like the throttle map at all in the WRX. But figured if I got the car I'd get used to it. Not the case?
Johnny_P

SixSpeeder wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:23 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote:oh hai! could've gotten an STI then. But on the bright side, you can trade that car in without placprofit.
All the STI's were going for over $40k and dillers were not playing ball with them, I got mine for closer to $30k. I would have bought a Camaro if I was willing to drop the extra $10k.
I lucked out with mine. Dealer had a zero options one they were willing to let go matching a Costco factory order price from another dealer. Otherwise yeah everyone was totally unwilling to discount the prices at all and STIs on the lot were loaded with useless stuff.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:Truth be told, the STI kind of makes awesome roads a bit boring. It's super capable. You end up going really fast on them.
This is the same reason that :poorvette: gets boring. 100+ mph is generally needed to make it interesting on back roads. Interstate is a joke unless you're at 150+ go to jail territory.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:40 pm
Johnny_P wrote:Truth be told, the STI kind of makes awesome roads a bit boring. It's super capable. You end up going really fast on them.
This is the same reason that :poorvette: gets boring. 100+ mph is generally needed to make it interesting on back roads. Interstate is a joke unless you're at 150+ go to jail territory.
That's why the Miata appeals to me so much. Top down, 40 MPH, engine screaming, feels like 120.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:40 pm This is the same reason that :poorvette: gets boring. 100+ mph is generally needed to make it interesting on back roads. Interstate is a joke unless you're at 150+ go to jail territory.
That's why the Miata appeals to me so much. Top down, 40 MPH, engine screaming, feels like 120.
I assume the little ninja will be the same. Otherwise I'm going to get a miata/mr2 or honda beat.
SixSpeeder

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:47 pm Truth be told, the STI kind of makes awesome roads a bit boring. It's super capable. You end up going really fast on them.

The drama of the STI engine and all makes it interesting at :derp: speeds doe. So I understand why you're saying WRX is boring.

I didn't like the throttle map at all in the WRX. But figured if I got the car I'd get used to it. Not the case?
:word:

I'm used to it by now but it's still way too aggressive, most of the pedal travel is completely useless. The boost gayge also shows accelerator position and it's pretty ridiculous what the ECU interprets 15% to mean.
max225

The C5 is really interesting at high speeds. The windows stop sealing and you get epic wind noise. Also hitting any sort of bump at speed was basically a death sentence
Johnny_P

maxtdi wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:24 am

The C5 is really interesting at high speeds. The windows stop sealing and you get epic wind noise. Also hitting any sort of bump at speed was basically a death sentence
:gaydance:
troyguitar

maxtdi wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:40 pm This is the same reason that :poorvette: gets boring. 100+ mph is generally needed to make it interesting on back roads. Interstate is a joke unless you're at 150+ go to jail territory.
Sorted suspension makes it NFG over bumps. Dem $1000 fancy shocks.

I haven't had the window seal issue but our Audi TT did that. The passenger side got loud as fuck over about 90.
Johnny_P

SixSpeeder wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:13 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:47 pm Truth be told, the STI kind of makes awesome roads a bit boring. It's super capable. You end up going really fast on them.

I'm used to it by now but it's still way too aggressive, most of the pedal travel is completely useless. The boost gayge also shows accelerator position and it's pretty ridiculous what the ECU interprets 15% to mean.
You going to tune it?
I'm debating tuning my STI. As it's only a tad faster than my GTI despite "300 HP"
SixSpeeder

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:55 am
SixSpeeder wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:13 pm

You going to tune it?
I'm debating tuning my STI. As it's only a tad faster than my GTI despite "300 HP"
Nope, I have no plans to tune it. I'm happy with the power and don't like the sound that these engines make with aftermarket pipes. If I were planning on keeping this car long term, I would install an LSD, swap out bushings, add chassis braces and suspension bits. Currently it's completely stock.
Johnny_P

SixSpeeder wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:10 am
You going to tune it?
Nope, I have no plans to tune it. I'm happy with the power and don't like the sound that these engines make with aftermarket pipes. If I were planning on keeping this car long term, I would install an LSD, swap out bushings, add chassis braces and suspension bits. Currently it's completely stock.
Subaru seems pretty bitchy about tuning and warranties. Ain't giving up a warranty on a car with a 'splodey engine :doe:
max225

You going to tune it?
With all that work wouldn't it make more sense to get an sti ?
SixSpeeder

maxtdi wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:42 am

With all that work wouldn't it make more sense to get an sti ?
Probably, especially if you're fine with the old engine. The stuff I listed wouldn't add up to the price of an STI, but the STI does come with a lot more stuff (beefier transmission, center dif, etc)
NEEK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: DIESEL BRODOZER, R53 JCW

Guess the end of this thread is here. No more WRX. In with the Abarf!
*reserved for no content*