Turn Signals Optional: Gberg’s M3

Strut your greasy stuff!
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:28 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:19 pm Picked up the harbor freight Daytona 3 ton in whorange for $130 after the usual coupon. :notbad:
:nice: I have whorange as well (when I picked mine up, they had it as a floor model).
This is a classic case of the “You versus the guy she tells you not to worry about” meme.

The 3 ton absolutely dwarfs the 1.5.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:13 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:28 am

:nice: I have whorange as well (when I picked mine up, they had it as a floor model).
This is a classic case of the “You versus the guy she tells you not to worry about” meme.

The 3 ton absolutely dwarfs the 1.5.

Funny I have a near identical blue and silver aluminum one as well. I keep it around in case I ever need to bring a jack to a track day or something like that.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

The aluminum one is the same one I have as well. It’s been a good tool.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

The horror!

:triggered:

I’ve also got to head back to the detailer of doom for another touch up. The ppf is bubbling up on the little pillar on the rear passenger door. :disappoint:

At least he should be able to knock this out in 10 minutes and I won’t have to leave the car again.

CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Yikes that ain't great
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:26 pm The horror!

I’ve also got to head back to the detailer of doom for another touch up. The ppf is bubbling up on the little pillar on the rear passenger door. :disappoint:

At least he should be able to knock this out in 10 minutes and I won’t have to leave the car again.

First of all you don’t even have M tire valve caps ?! :disappoint:

And def get that a pillar fixed :disgust:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:18 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:26 pm The horror!

How could I forget that. I’ve got to get the valve caps, M door pins, M puddle lights, M license plate frame, and M gas cap.

I texted the dude this morning with that picture. I really don’t know if this is a common thing with ppf or what. Never really seen people have issues like this on any of the boards. Usually it’s done and that’s it. Is it the ppf he uses? The install process? :iono:
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Yeah, this guy seems incompetent.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

MrH42 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:26 am Yeah, this guy seems incompetent.
That certainly appears to be the case.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:00 am

How could I forget that. I’ve got to get the valve caps, M door pins, M puddle lights, M license plate frame, and M gas cap.

I texted the dude this morning with that picture. I really don’t know if this is a common thing with ppf or what. Never really seen people have issues like this on any of the boards. Usually it’s done and that’s it. Is it the ppf he uses? The install process? :iono:
It has to be something in his process… too much water during application or wrong soap or shitty film quality or not enough drying … who knows that’s stuff is a bit of an art.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I have the M valve caps on my 440i, lol. I lost a cap and replaced all four. They DO screw on nice and tight.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:24 am

I have the M valve caps on my 440i, lol. I lost a cap and replaced all four. They DO screw on nice and tight.
I’m ///Missing a cap also… perhaps I need to upgrade
max225

1. Can we get an update on the Transmission ? How do you feel about it after the golf R? I know you had some reservations initially..
2. Did you finish the break in ?
3. Anything else to report? Build quality wise etc?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

:hellno: Are they at least metal? Or still plastic? Dat unsprung weight :doe:

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:27 pm 1. Can we get an update on the Transmission ? How do you feel about it after the golf R? I know you had some reservations initially..
2. Did you finish the break in ?
3. Anything else to report? Build quality wise etc?
I’ve gotten used to the trans and I guess I’ll classify it as “fine”. Throws are still long and light. I just really loved the dieselgeek in the R but that’s subjective. If you like a lighter shifter it’s fine. I know the CT4VBW has a better shifter and handles a little bit better but I really wanted a bmw inline 6 and the bigger backseat. Another thing I’m definitely going to look into doing is the CDV delete.

Taking it for the break in service tomorrow morning. It’ll be at 1,150. Timed it just right.

Build quality is great. No noises in the cabin but there shouldn’t be. One thing that’s a bit unsettling is driving on the highway in the rain, or really anytime you haven’t used your brakes for a bit and it’s wet out. I know it’s brake by wire now but on initial press of the brake pedal, there’s no one home and then it bites. Freaked me out the first time it did that but Google tells me that’s the way these brakes are.

I also got prompted for an iDrive update last night which I’m trying to cancel as it will clear out the coding changes made by the genius. The laser lights are awesome and I really don’t want to lose them or have him redo it. If he’s there tomorrow I may ask him for the instructions he used and buy bimmercode.

MPGEEEEs seem :notbad: as well. I averaged 20.6 over the month of March. The R would only get about 24 in mixed driving so I’ll take that trade off.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:45 pm

:hellno: Are they at least metal? Or still plastic? Dat unsprung weight :doe:

They are NOT metal. However they are a grey color that matches the metal valve stem nicely. They look good and function well.

Update:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-m- ... 6110421543

These are different than mine. Still no word on metal vs. plastic :doe:
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Interesting update ! Identical mpg to my F80!

Curious what they will change at 1150? Is it oil and diff fluid ?

Also does bmw still do free maintenance ? When I go to the builder they seem to want to charge $850 for 36k
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

You'll never be this guy so just quit now and sell the car

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:10 pm Interesting update ! Identical mpg to my F80!

Also does bmw still do free maintenance ? When I go to the builder they seem to want to charge $850 for 36k
They want you in at 1200 miles but 50ish miles short is fine. No idea why it’s so specific but that’s what the manual says. It is just an oil and differential fluid change but from what I’ve read, the fluids in there right now aren’t the normal fluids. It’s some special break in stuff.

My window sticker says free maintenance for 3/36 but it looks like that $850 is to add brake pads to it. The standard 3/36 is engine oil, cabin filter, vehicle checks, air filter, and spark plugs.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:23 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:10 pm Interesting update ! Identical mpg to my F80!

They want you in at 1200 miles but 50ish miles short is fine. No idea why it’s so specific but that’s what the manual says. It is just an oil and differential fluid change but from what I’ve read, the fluids in there right now aren’t the normal fluids. It’s some special break in stuff.

My window sticker says free maintenance for 3/36 but it looks like that $850 is to add brake pads to it. The standard 3/36 is engine oil, cabin filter, vehicle checks, air filter, and spark plugs.
10-4 good info. My brake pads were estimated at 130k mile life for the M3... so this is certainly a money grab unless one goes to the track of course... and even then.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:20 pm

You'll never be this guy so just quit now and sell the car

The final boss of M performance vehicles.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detailer of doom is blaming my pressure washer :really: but he’ll fix it on the house.

I don’t have some super powerful pressure washer but whatever. I’ll make sure to keep an eye on the b pillars from now on. :rolleyes:
max225

You pressure wash your car ? First question …
Second question … he knows about it ?

And final comment. What a dick he still doesn’t own up to it
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Bruh everyone pressure washes their car wtf is he on about?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I don't pressure wash my car.