JP’s Family Truckster

Strut your greasy stuff!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:01 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:59 pm

Fair I am just pointing out that 39mpg is pretty frigging excellent no matter how many winters you have in there. If you average 30 in the winter that seems excellent also. An EV is severely affected also. This thing seems to be doing a good job for ya.
Not wrong. But drive it normally without trying to get good mileage and it will average 30 mpg, exactly the same as the non hybrid.
I think the 30 MPG in non hybrid form would also only be possible with cuck driving. I'd wager your average soccer mom CRV owner gets like 21.

I mean, I can get 21-24 in the :jeep: and my wife gets like 18. Most people yield shit MPG and have no idea that they do or even less so how to improve it in their driving. I'd bet 39 MPG is in the top 5% of any car out there in real world efficiency.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

How do we feel about LED reverse light bulbs? I can’t see shit out the back of the car at night while reversing.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:37 pm How do we feel about LED reverse light bulbs? I can’t see shit out the back of the car at night while reversing.
Easy to try?

On the subject of lights... I know everyone has a :dedong: here for :fancy: headlights... but I am starting to have serious disdain for them. I now have to drive out to this rural suburb where my dad is staying pretty regularly which involves a heavily trafficked one lane in each direction rd. This used to be a country road but now is the one way in/out of an area where hundreds of thousands of people live. So on this road at night, I am just constantly fucking blinded by every :truk: with crazy bright lights right in my face. Am I just :wrong: for not wanting to 'sit up high' or should I wear sunglasses at night? I feel like the headlights are great for the user but make the roads super dangerous for everyone as I can't ever see shit with all the lights in my face.

And yes, I realize this rant has nothing to do with JP's truckster.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:42 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:37 pm How do we feel about LED reverse light bulbs? I can’t see shit out the back of the car at night while reversing.
Easy to try?

On the subject of lights... I know everyone has a :dedong: here for :fancy: headlights... but I am starting to have serious disdain for them. I now have to drive out to this rural suburb where my dad is staying pretty regularly which involves a heavily trafficked one lane in each direction rd. This used to be a country road but now is the one way in/out of an area where hundreds of thousands of people live. So on this road at night, I am just constantly fucking blinded by every :truk: with crazy bright lights right in my face. Am I just :wrong: for not wanting to 'sit up high' or should I wear sunglasses at night? I feel like the headlights are great for the user but make the roads super dangerous for everyone as I can't ever see shit with all the lights in my face.

It’s somewhat related. Honda LEDs are notoriously horrible and throw a lot of glare upwards at faces of oncoming drivers.

I guess chalk another win to CUVs. I’m literally above most of that now. But yeah super bright lights that have shit beam patterns are annoying as hell. Fortunately IIHS has started evaluating headlight performance and slapping wrists / downgrading safety ratings if there’s excessive glare. So it will take only like 15 more years to purge the crap vehicles out of consumer rotation 😀
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Make sure they don't cause bulb out errors. But they are a popular mod.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I put them in my GMT 800 Tahoe, as well as in the front DRL positions. Brightness is up, temperature is down. Cost was minimal. No downside AFAI can see.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:56 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:42 pm

Easy to try?

It’s somewhat related. Honda LEDs are notoriously horrible and throw a lot of glare upwards at faces of oncoming drivers.

I guess chalk another win to CUVs. I’m literally above most of that now. But yeah super bright lights that have shit beam patterns are annoying as hell. Fortunately IIHS has started evaluating headlight performance and slapping wrists / downgrading safety ratings if there’s excessive glare. So it will take only like 15 more years to purge the crap vehicles out of consumer rotation 😀
Thats what I noticed with my accord. So I was driving with my cousins and their grandparents when we went to church last easter. I set it to adaptive cruise on the highway so I can drive like I'm driving miss daisy. I eventually got tired of the car in front of me so I proceeded to pass him. Then he gets behind me and flashes his high beams. A few days later I was behind someone, passed him, and he got behind me and flashed high beams at me. Those are both civic's mind you. Then weeks later, I saw another 10th gen accord accord behind me, and I noticed the led lights tend to point into my rear view mirror unintentionally and I now knew the reason why those other guys flashed their high beams.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P

Car report is: nothing to report.

Aside from laughably poor assembly quality it seems to be holding up fine. It seems to have stopped the weird driveline vibration so maybe it was something wearing in. A few infotainment crashes and resets and that’s about it. Sometimes the driver power seat squeaks as it adjusts… we give it quite a workout as we are always switching drivers. No rattles or anything at all, balloon tires are great. It hauls all our kid, dog, and junk around easily.

Now that it’s winter when I drive it I get 40 mpg. When the wife drives it she gets 20 mpg. Because she sets the heater to 70 and the car doesn’t have a heat pump so it just burns gas to heat the cabin. MPG is 37 lifetime.

Overall it’s alright. What I enjoy the most is having an “automatic” car and don’t think I’ll buy another manual vehicle.

Maybe dump this in a few years for a PHEV or straight EV depending on the house situation. And would consider a new Prius for a train station car for me.
Johnny_P

8 bucket plus toddler throwing sticks into the bucket method.

Actually waxed it. It got hit twice this week so I got some scratch remover stuff and buffed it out. Looks alright. Probably needs a real DA attack but I ain’t care enough.

Sitting right at 37 mpg average. Interior is covered in dog hair and cheerios as it should be. Took it on some road trips and it handles NYC traffic like a champ. It’s an alright dishwasher.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:52 am Image

Actually waxed it. It got hit twice this week so I got some scratch remover stuff and buffed it out. Looks alright. Probably needs a real DA attack but I ain’t care enough.

Sitting right at 37 mpg average. Interior is covered in dog hair and cheerios as it should be. Took it on some road trips and it handles NYC traffic like a champ. It’s an alright dishwasher.
Hot. Good pic of the little man.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:52 am Image

Are those crocs i see from little johnny?

Fwiw crocs are cool now for gen z's. At least thats what ive been seeing in the gym or when i work in the hotel i see parents teens rock em too, in dc, near downtown
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P

Nah not crocs just cheap target store brand foamy sandals. Similar material.
Johnny_P

So took the car in for its 2 year anniversary visit. Dealer changed oil, rotated tires, and changed the rear diff fluid. Which is fine, it's all specified in the manual.

They tried to snag my wife for $170 to replace the cabin air filter. She called me asking what to do, I said that's nuts I'll just do it. $27 for the filter, shipped, from Honda. Dealer was going to charge $40 for the filter itself and 130 to install it. :lolol:

Here's the installation steps.
1) Open passenger door
2) Open glove box
3) Squeeze side of glove box in and let it drop down
4) Push down on retention handle
5) Remove cover, 2 push tabs, to access filter.
6) Pull filter out.
Reverse for installation.

So that's like 5 minutes of work if someone is hung over. Which translates to a cool $1,560 per hour shop rate?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:48 pm So took the car in for its 2 year anniversary visit. Dealer changed oil, rotated tires, and changed the rear diff fluid. Which is fine, it's all specified in the manual.

They tried to snag my wife for $170 to replace the cabin air filter. She called me asking what to do, I said that's nuts I'll just do it. $27 for the filter, shipped, from Honda. Dealer was going to charge $40 for the filter itself and 130 to install it. :lolol:

1) Open passenger door
2) Open glove box
6) Pull filter out.

So that's like 5 minutes of work if someone is hung over. Which translates to a cool $1,560 per hour shop rate?

max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:48 pm So took the car in for its 2 year anniversary visit. Dealer changed oil, rotated tires, and changed the rear diff fluid. Which is fine, it's all specified in the manual.

1) Open passenger door
2) Open glove box
6) Pull filter out.

Yep spot on. Same as on the tsx. The pilot cabin air filter is some sort of bitch iirc.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:12 am

1) Open passenger door
2) Open glove box
6) Pull filter out.

Yep spot on. Same as on the tsx. The pilot cabin air filter is some sort of bitch iirc.
Mercedes Cabin Filter=EZ. Tahoe Cabin Filter=EZ. 440i Cabin filter=EZ when I was <50 yoa. It requires getting upside down in the passenger seat in a way my 54yoa ass no longer wants to go. I do not look forward to it.
max225

The mini had 2 filters... stacked on top of each other for no reason :wtf: they cost a whopping $80 ... underneath dash ... it required some sort of circus act to get to also. HATED that.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:52 am The mini had 2 filters... stacked on top of each other for no reason :wtf: they cost a whopping $80 ... underneath dash ... it required some sort of circus act to get to also. HATED that.
In the BMW instead of inserting the filter straight on there is a curvature to it that adds to the fun.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:01 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:52 am The mini had 2 filters... stacked on top of each other for no reason :wtf: they cost a whopping $80 ... underneath dash ... it required some sort of circus act to get to also. HATED that.
In the BMW instead of inserting the filter straight on there is a curvature to it that adds to the fun.
why cant yall just be normal and never change the cabin air filter?
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:12 pm

:gtfo:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I wonder if my cars even have them.

:millennial: :ohwell:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Because I live in a climate in which the auto air conditioning is on 10 months out of the year and sometimes I just don't turn it off before shutting down=inevitable sweat sock smell.
Johnny_P

Yeah gym bag smell. We don’t have it yet. Dealer said it was v dirt af in there. So I’ll change it.

Might have to take the fan apart to clean the box thing out. TBD.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:21 pm

Because I live in a climate in which the auto air conditioning is on 10 months out of the year and sometimes I just don't turn it off before shutting down=inevitable sweat sock smell.
I spent like 30 years living in south louisiana where its both hot and humid as fuck.

I stand behind my statement. :lol: :yikes: :iono:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:48 pm Yeah gym bag smell. We don’t have it yet. Dealer said it was v dirt af in there. So I’ll change it.

Might have to take the fan apart to clean the box thing out. TBD.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/OZIUM-Air-Sa ... lsrc=aw.ds

Spraying this in the intake helps quite a bit. https://www.walmart.com/ip/OZIUM-Air-Sa ... lsrc=aw.ds