Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:00 pm
max225 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:46 pm

Here is what I can tell you... even "california" is quite different depending on where you move. Sacramento weather is SHIT compared to bay area and compared to socal. And IMO sac town is shit for the most part. I don't like 9/10 town more than 20 miles away from cali coasts. They turn very inbread/illegal/weird/crime infested. (Look up Fresno, or Bakersfield, horrendous places)

I would say San Diego has the best weather of all of cali, and then SF bay, then LA (non valley which also shit). Inland California is HELL, norcal is woods+nothing to do.

So it really depends on what you like...

Now back to Austin. Weather is SHIT compared to most of california, its not Houston hot but it's hot (100 days of 90F+), but COL is about 60-70% of cali when it comes to almost everything. And 20-30% when it comes to real estate, yes even with their "CRAZY TAXES" on real estate. But there is no appreciation in real estate outside of Austin proper which is WAY Overpriced.

Austin works like this...
3/2 house in a nice area of Austin proper is 650-750 now.. which is WAY too much considering the tax structure of 2-3% prop taxes. If you're ok with a 30 min drive it turns into 260-320 for a nice house with a bit of land.

Guess what you have to drive everywhere... which is not suprising, people are from all over the place, mostly bluesh white collar. Quite a bit of shit to do for Texas which is pretty lame to be honest. But Austin thanks to the relatively young demographics is pretty neat.

Are you planning on going out to restaurants/bars? Sitting at home? Sailing? hiking ? what do you like to do and what amenities are musts. Throwing random locations at you makes little sense.

I have gone through this type of thing for dad as well who needs to move the fk out of the bay.

Another area that is decent is Oregon.... Didn't see it brought up yet.
Austin was always kind of a weird dirty city. Now its also expensive. Used to be cheap as shit. Fucking weird though.
Yeah I wouldn't pick Austin if I could live absolutely anywhere.

Savannah was a great recommendation. Small quiet town. Great food and beers. Awesome architecture. Killer city parks.
I've been to Savannah before, their old town is pretty :neat: right by the river. I need to check Austin prices and compare it to my area. Typically a 3/2 house would cost around $450-600k depending on which part of the county (Fairfax for me) and town house vs. single family. Most DC workers commute from where I live anyways because of the prices in Arlington and in DC itself.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:10 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:00 pm

Austin was always kind of a weird dirty city. Now its also expensive. Used to be cheap as shit. Fucking weird though.
Yeah I wouldn't pick Austin if I could live absolutely anywhere.

Savannah was a great recommendation. Small quiet town. Great food and beers. Awesome architecture. Killer city parks.
I've been to Savannah before, their old town is pretty :neat: right by the river. I need to check Austin prices and compare it to my area. Typically a 3/2 house would cost around $450-600k depending on which part of the county (Fairfax for me) and town house vs. single family. Most DC workers commute from where I live anyways because of the prices in Arlington and in DC itself.
DC is pretty :gag: sorry brah
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:15 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:10 pm

DC is pretty :gag: sorry brah
:howdareu:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:18 pm FWIW I wouldn't advocate PR too much for your Troy but it's an awesome place and anyone talking shit on it has literally no clue what they are talking about.
:howdareu:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:18 pm FWIW I wouldn't advocate PR too much for your Troy but it's an awesome place and anyone talking shit on it has literally no clue what they are talking about.
I could be pretty happy in PR. Get a Jeep and a scooter. NFG.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:21 pm
I could be pretty happy in PR. Get a Jeep and a scooter. NFG.
me too
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:FWIW I wouldn't advocate PR too much for your Troy but it's an awesome place and anyone talking shit on it has literally no clue what they are talking about.
There are a lot of things that I like about the general beach/island lyfe, where everything isn't a big competition and your identity is not based on your occupation but your interests. I also like simple low intensity outdoor activities like... sitting.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I know Oahu is wicked expensive but maybe the Big Island of Hawaii pricing is OK? That would rule.

Max and Johnny’s points on CA and TX are on point IMO.
Desertbreh

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:19 pm
Desertbreh wrote:I brought up Bend Oregon but nobody wants to talk about it. :sad:
I know nothing about the whole West. Isn't that a ski town? Same kinda deal with Boise. People say it's a CA substitute but I don't know any more than that.

The NW to me seems like near-CA pricing for a dark, gray, wet version of CA. Might as well just pay for CA or go to FL/TX/flyover country. :iono:
Bend is in the high desert. Massive sunshine. Skiing. Mountain bike trails galore.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:28 pm There are a lot of things that I like about the general beach/island lyfe, where everything isn't a big competition and your identity is not based on your occupation but your interests. I also like simple low intensity outdoor activities like... sitting.
The downsides for you I see are:
1) minimal Motorsports
2) hot as fuck, and humid as fuck if not on the beach
3) besides real estate cost of living can be a bit higher due to island imports
Yeah it's hard to know. Looks like the hottest month is the same as KY, but it's still hot and rainy year round there which might get to be a downer over time.

Socal or FL coasts might be a better compromise for warmth despite the higher costs. I do like the idea of free entertainment via beaches much more than mountains or the woods. Bikinis >> mosquitos.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:28 pm
[user not found] wrote:FWIW I wouldn't advocate PR too much for your Troy but it's an awesome place and anyone talking shit on it has literally no clue what they are talking about.
There are a lot of things that I like about the general beach/island lyfe, where everything isn't a big competition and your identity is not based on your occupation but your interests. I also like simple low intensity outdoor activities like... sitting.
Watch Outer Banks on netflix :hue:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:57 pm
[user not found] wrote:
1) minimal Motorsports
Yeah it's hard to know. Looks like the hottest month is the same as KY, but it's still hot and rainy year round there which might get to be a downer over time.

Socal or FL coasts might be a better compromise for warmth despite the higher costs. I do like the idea of free entertainment via beaches much more than mountains or the woods. Bikinis >> mosquitos.
It looks like you're not a fan of NE winters (aka brutal), I remember you went to MIT for a while. But have you thought about Portland, Maine, Providence RI, etc. Can't speak too much, they have beach towns which are quite stellar. From other comments, Madison and Milwaukee are pretty good contenders, along with Minneapolis. But again, winters.

Phoenix wouldn't be that bad, plus you're closer to Willow springs, roughly what 3 hours of a drive? Perhaps Salt Lake City, Sedona and Flagstaff are quite nice. I think up in the mountains in AZ would be a great bet as I've seen snow during my cross country passing by, note that happened in April.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:28 pm
Move to the south brah. Porch sitting is 5/7
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:44 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:19 pm I know nothing about the whole West. Isn't that a ski town? Same kinda deal with Boise. People say it's a CA substitute but I don't know any more than that.

The NW to me seems like near-CA pricing for a dark, gray, wet version of CA. Might as well just pay for CA or go to FL/TX/flyover country. :iono:
Bend is in the high desert. Massive sunshine. Skiing. Mountain bike trails galore.
That’s not relevant info tho. What about sitting trails?
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:57 pm
[user not found] wrote:
1) minimal Motorsports

Florida ain’t bad. Florida people. But beaches and few to no bugs in populated areas because they spray like madmen.
Desertbreh

Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:49 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:44 pm

The sunshine was relevant because he's been bitching for 6 months about it. Unknown cheap calorie value menu/LC count doe.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:43 pm I know Oahu is wicked expensive but maybe the Big Island of Hawaii pricing is OK? That would rule.

Big island has cheap real estate but that’s it... everything else is Cali pricing +10-20% ... taxes are high also... I guess being on top of the worlds greatest mountain (yes big island is that ) and active volcanos is not a drawback ... but it should be considered
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:37 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:43 pm I know Oahu is wicked expensive but maybe the Big Island of Hawaii pricing is OK? That would rule.

Big island has cheap real estate but that’s it... everything else is Cali pricing +10-20% ... taxes are high also... I guess being on top of the worlds greatest mountain (yes big island is that ) and active volcanos is not a drawback ... but it should be considered
I’d move to Hawaii. Would be awesome.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:31 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:50 pm

Florida ain’t bad. Florida people. But beaches and few to no bugs in populated areas because they spray like madmen.
Pan handle? Red Neck Riviera?
I dunno I haven’t had bad experiences there either.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:23 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:49 pm

The sunshine was relevant because he's been bitching for 6 months about it. Unknown cheap calorie value menu/LC count doe.
🥰
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:42 pm
max225 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:37 pm

Yea sure, and I’d love to wake up to a view of the Eiffel Tower also :lolgasm: a man can dream
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:44 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:42 pm

Yea sure, and I’d love to wake up to a view of the Eiffel Tower also :lolgasm: a man can dream
He can literally move anywhere like why tf would Austin even come up in the conversation?
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
max225 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:44 pm Yea sure, and I’d love to wake up to a view of the Eiffel Tower also Imagegasm: a man can dream
He can literally move anywhere like why tf would Austin even come up in the conversation?
I mean it's unlikely that it'll be "anywhere" - and unlikely to happen at all realistically. I fully expect the boss to veto WFH as soon as is legal.

That being said, :tits: actually cares about seeing her family so I don't think that she'd ever go as far as Hawaii or PR or France even if it were technically possible. She's not really even a fan of California or Florida, that's all me.

We also just don't give a fuck about hiking or skiing or jeeping or kayaking or whatever the trendy "active" lyfe stuff of the day might be. We like sitting in comfy (warm) interesting places with tasty beverages and snacks or muzak or books. Perhaps walking leisurely between some of those places. Maybe lounging in a hot tub or pool.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:45 pm
max225 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:44 pm

Because of the obvious reasons above
max225

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:57 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
I mean it's unlikely that it'll be "anywhere" - and unlikely to happen at all realistically. I fully expect the boss to veto WFH as soon as is legal.

That being said, :tits: actually cares about seeing her family so I don't think that she'd ever go as far as Hawaii or PR or France even if it were technically possible. She's not really even a fan of California or Florida, that's all me.

We also just don't give a fuck about hiking or skiing or jeeping or kayaking or whatever the trendy "active" lyfe stuff of the day might be. We like sitting in comfy (warm) interesting places with tasty beverages and snacks or muzak or books. Perhaps walking leisurely between some of those places. Maybe lounging in a hot tub or pool.
Hmm ... very interesting... I’m going to think somewhere around Charlotte or the likes would hit all those notes. But I can’t recommend as I haven’t been yet. It’s on the to do. I have been low key planning vacays around some places I’d like to relocate for superior COL/maintain the same quality of life