Melons Truk Tribulations

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Melon wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:30 am Backup Plan:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... d=70839075
I love the broforx but would have a hard time getting one over a ram classic for nearly the same price. Broforx looks so good though.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:42 am

I love the broforx but would have a hard time getting one over a ram classic for nearly the same price. Broforx looks so good though.
Did a quick check on Autotrader. All I see are Tradesman trims with the 6 cyl.
There might be discounts that aren't being shown online too.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Melon wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:53 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:42 am

Did a quick check on Autotrader. All I see are Tradesman trims with the 6 cyl.
There might be discounts that aren't being shown online too.
Dang I saw a few Big Horn hemis in FL last week for 28-29k but seems they have sold.

This is the only one left I found

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/searc ... =241627008

With that said I didn't see what BS discounts you aren't eligible for are included in that price.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Damn good price for that truck.

I looked at Frontiers before I bought the GTI. The problem around here is that nobody had a Frontier with a 6 speed in stock, and neither the salesman or the manager thought the truck had an option for a manual transmission. The Pro-4x is definitely the way to go. It has better seats and the ride is much nicer than the SV.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Dropped the :truk: off at the :dillerman: yesterday.
Haven't heard anything as of yet.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Melon wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:45 am Dropped the :truk: off at the :dillerman: yesterday.
Haven't heard anything as of yet.
:popcorn:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

That is :nice:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Apex wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:00 am
[user not found] wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:00 am Ugh. Was hoping you’d have better success.

Dplac, Pecs, and Waxer don’t seem to suffer the issue so far.
:dat:

I’m gonna keep on trukin, but it’s in the back of my mind.
Same here. So far, my truck is great.

This is the only reason I have not pulled the trigger on the Mallett supercharger, but now Lingenfelter has an Edelbrock kit too.. but the possibility of transmission issues stays on my mind.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I cannot support this.

I know [user not found] loved his, but these trucks are pure shit on the inside. My Xterra was a complete pile as far as the interior quality goes. There's a really good reason they are so damned cheap....

Plus, do you want to be seen as someone with a sub-500 credit score that thinks they are flexing with a new truck with a 14% APR loan ? That's the demographic Nissan focuses on and most people know it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:iono: different strokes. To me the Frontier is the best BECAUSE it’s ancient, not in spite of that fact. It is a :truk: after all, it’s for work things. Time if you’re not doing work things, you may as well drive something that drives well or is fun.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:13 am

I cannot support this.
Second. Outside of my general distain for :truk: lyfe, the frontier is old, shit at towing, and small. It's a nearly 20 year old car that's just somehow still for sale.
brain go brrrrrr
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:04 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:13 am

I cannot support this.
Second. Outside of my general distain for :truk: lyfe, the frontier is old, shit at towing, and small. It's a nearly 20 year old car that's just somehow still for sale.
You know why it's still for sale?

Because guys like my gardner buy them up. He has a Colorado, but said it was too expensive for his workers to drive, so he bought 2 Frontiers for his guys.

He's a very open guy and asks me advice about things every so often. I helped him get his shit straight with the contractors licensing board when he got pinched in a sting and they found out one of his guys was an illegal. He then told me that in order to get the two Frontiers he had to get a nasty set of loans to qualify and the payments are $600/month each.... And that's for the poverty spec trucks.

Nissan.... We'll finance anyone into the street from the poor house. If you're breathing, we're lending.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:34 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:04 am

Because guys like my gardner buy them up. He has a Colorado, but said it was too expensive for his workers to drive, so he bought 2 Frontiers for his guys.

He's a very open guy and asks me advice about things every so often. I helped him get his shit straight with the contractors licensing board when he got pinched in a sting and they found out one of his guys was an illegal. He then told me that in order to get the two Frontiers he had to get a nasty set of loans to qualify and the payments are $600/month each.... And that's for the poverty spec trucks.

Nissan.... We'll finance anyone into the street from the poor house. If you're breathing, we're lending.
It's definitely a shit brand, but I still think it's a good :truk:

Colorado, Ranger, Gladiator, etc. are all far better CARs but the Frontier is a good truck. I guess as a do-it-all having the vehicle be both a good car and a good truck is important, but I just can't get on board with dailying a pickup, I don't know how everyone here does it.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:29 am

Colorado, Ranger, Gladiator, etc. are all far better CARs but the Frontier is a good truck. I guess as a do-it-all having the vehicle be both a good car and a good truck is important, but I just can't get on board with dailying a pickup, I don't know how everyone here does it.
My ZR2 has more room inside than a lot of the cars I've bought.

4 door pickup that has a big backset and a bed? That's the big win combo right there. Plus, the ZR2 doesn't drive like a typical 4x4 truck, the suspension is great.

My only real complaint on the ZR2 is the interior plastics, but when I swapped the stock shitknob (spelling intentional) for the nicer leather unit from the Buick I kinda forgot about it. Now anything I touch like the steering wheel and shifter are leather and nice.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Because it’s super comfy to commute in. When you’re in the daily commute grind, it doesn’t matter what your 0-60 is or how many cornering g’s you’re pulling because everyone on the road is doing the same thing at the same speed. Comfy seats, pothole-slaying suspension/tires, and a stereo to bump some tunes are all you need.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:34 am

Because it’s super comfy to commute in. When you’re in the daily commute grind, it doesn’t matter what your 0-60 is or how many cornering g’s you’re pulling because everyone on the road is doing the same thing at the same speed. Comfy seats, pothole-slaying suspension/tires, and a stereo to bump some tunes are all you need.
I guess I'm just a freak... I haven't driven the BMW once this week, I prefer the C5 with race seat.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:33 am

4 door pickup that has a big backset and a bed? That's the big win combo right there. Plus, the ZR2 doesn't drive like a typical 4x4 truck, the suspension is great.

My only real complaint on the ZR2 is the interior plastics, but when I swapped the stock shitknob (spelling intentional) for the nicer leather unit from the Buick I kinda forgot about it. Now anything I touch like the steering wheel and shifter are leather and nice.
I would just look at the ZR2 and then look at the 911 and get in the 911 every time as I'm sure that's pretty comfy as well.

To me, a Porsche is the ultimate commute car, it's an amazing driver's car while still being really nice and pretty compliant. Nothing I've ever driven has done that dual purpose job better than the Cayman S and I assume 911s are even better.

But I guess if the roads are shite, then it makes sense.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:36 am
Apex wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:34 am

I guess I'm just a freak... I haven't driven the BMW once this week, I prefer the C5 with race seat.
IIRC your commute isn’t during rush hours doe? Since you cover west coast you’re probably missing a bunch of traffic.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I don't give a fuck how I'm perceived.

That being said, the Frontier would be a downgrade, both in terms of towing capability and fit and finish.
Still, towing reviews seem to fit with the weight I'd be towing, and something manual and 4WD would be fun.

All things to think about for sure.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:38 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:36 am

IIRC your commute isn’t during rush hours doe? Since you cover west coast you’re probably missing a bunch of traffic.
To a degree, I get here at 9 and the traffic can suck. I normally avoid traffic by heading in super early, hitting the gym next to the office and showering there. I have no patience for the shitastic traffic regardless of vehicle, so I avoid it by leaving by 6:45 AM and not getting home until 7:30-8. Kind of sucks but the pro is that I do a short day Friday, like 10-4 and typically work from home that day.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:37 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:33 am

I would just look at the ZR2 and then look at the 911 and get in the 911 every time as I'm sure that's pretty comfy as well.

To me, a Porsche is the ultimate commute car, it's an amazing driver's car while still being really nice and pretty compliant. Nothing I've ever driven has done that dual purpose job better than the Cayman S and I assume 911s are even better.

But I guess if the roads are shite, then it makes sense.
Yeah, the roads sucking and the construction are issues, as well as the millions of poorly skilled drivers on the commute. When I do take the 911 I feel like I'm always gambling.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Melon wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:40 am I don't give a fuck how I'm perceived.

That being said, the Frontier would be a downgrade, both in terms of towing capability and fit and finish.
Still, towing reviews seem to fit with the weight I'd be towing, and something manual and 4WD would be fun.

If you need a truck, you need a truck. I know you'd enjoy a fun car more but can only have so many cars. I just feel like most :truk: drivers, at least in my area, have never put something in the bed.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Melon wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:40 am I don't give a fuck how I'm perceived.

I just would rather stretch a bit more on the cost and get something that is much nicer than save a couple bucks and buy the pleb truck and have to look at this crap all the time:

That plastic is terribro.

Also, they are supposed to redesign the truck next year, so I would definitely not buy the last of the turds when the new one is coming.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I use the shit out of my truck, it's definitely a class of vehicle I use.

I did some rough math on how much it would be for me to rent one, and it's way better to just own.