Dat detailing thread, doe.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

[user not found] wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 9:07 am Alright, my official list of products:
Glaze: Prima Amigo
Wax: Prima Epic
Sealant: Sonax Polymer Net Shield
So do you put PNS right on top of Prima Epic? Does that cure up pretty well? I put Amigo and Epic on the GTI the right after I corrected it last year and while they looked great I wasn't too impressed with the beading or the durability. A few months later I put on PNS on the GTI and was pretty happy with that. Even after a full winter water would still bead up well in the spring except for low on the doors.

I went with Gyeon Mohs and their topper for the Subie, but I still have Amigo, Epic, and enough for at least one coat of PNS for the wife's car.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Are sealants necessary? I never used one before. The last time I did a full detail on the GTI with the DA I did clay > polish > wax.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 10:21 am Are sealants necessary? I never used one before. The last time I did a full detail on the GTI with the DA I did clay > polish > wax.
Bruh. Do you even Waxer. Wax is for for chumps. Join the CQuartz revolution Luke. It is the only way.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

Has anyone CQuartzed a truck? I'm assuming I would need more than the standard 30 mil kit
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 10:37 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 10:21 am Are sealants necessary? I never used one before. The last time I did a full detail on the GTI with the DA I did clay > polish > wax.
Bruh. Do you even Waxer. Wax is for for chumps. Join the CQuartz revolution Luke. It is the only way.
:( I'm afraid I'd mess something up using CQuartz. The sealant [user not found] uses seems easier to apply.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

dtraill27 wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 11:23 am Has anyone CQuartzed a truck? I'm assuming I would need more than the standard 30 mil kit
You might want to order the bigger one just to do it. I ordered the 30ml one for my wheels and I used half on the wheels alone. The rest I used on a bunch of the body panels of the Vette. It kind of goes a long way and a truck has more flat panels than some cars so you can likely get away with 30ml.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Acid666 wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 11:26 am
dtraill27 wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 11:23 am Has anyone CQuartzed a truck? I'm assuming I would need more than the standard 30 mil kit
You might want to order the bigger one just to do it. I ordered the 30ml one for my wheels and I used half on the wheels alone. The rest I used on a bunch of the body panels of the Vette. It kind of goes a long way and a truck has more flat panels than some cars so you can likely get away with 30ml.
I did 3 coats of Mohs on the STi and used probably 80% of a 50ml bottle. I think I was a bit liberal with the application, though, you could probably stretch it farther on a darker car where it's easier to see where you've just applied. 30ml would definitely do one coat on a big truck easily, but if you want to do more than that I'd go with the 50ml.

Haven't used cquartz, but Gyeon Mohs was super easy.
Desertbreh

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 11:24 am
Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 10:37 am

:( I'm afraid I'd mess something up using CQuartz. The sealant [user not found] uses seems easier to apply.
Neagative Ghostrider. Easy application, once you have the surface polished/prepped
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Acid666

coogles wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 11:32 am
Acid666 wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 11:26 am

I did 3 coats of Mohs on the STi and used probably 80% of a 50ml bottle. I think I was a bit liberal with the application, though, you could probably stretch it farther on a darker car where it's easier to see where you've just applied. 30ml would definitely do one coat on a big truck easily, but if you want to do more than that I'd go with the 50ml.

Haven't used cquartz, but Gyeon Mohs was super easy.

This was my exact experience. I couldn't see how much was actually making its way onto the panel so I'd keep dripping it onto the cloth with the fear that I wasn't really applying anything. Even with overdoing it and pouring what I thought was a lot, I still had a lot left in the bottle.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Barrett, you did a quartz coating on the Z ?
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Desertbreh

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 11:58 am My problem with Cquartz is I'm never satisfied with the surface condition, and I don't want to seal in imperfections.

Should've Cquartz'd the 2007 Frontier when I had a chance... oh well.
That's just something you need to seek therapy for. Based on any number of photos of cars you've detailed, you have "CQuartz worthy" paint on a regular basis.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote:My problem with Cquartz is I'm never satisfied with the surface condition, and I don't want to seal in imperfections.

Should've Cquartz'd the 2007 Frontier when I had a chance... oh well.
Same. Even if I polish it I'm not a professional detailer so I'm sure I'll miss some stuff. I guess that's why detailers charge so much for it to be applied.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Acid666

Melon wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 3:21 pm Barrett, you did a quartz coating on the Z ?
Yup. I Cquartz'd the rims first. Then once I finally cleaned and polished a few panels, I glazed them to get rid of a few micro scratches and then Cquartz'd over that.

I only Cquartz'd the hood, front end and the rear because those were the only parts I polished. I was waiting to get the lift to polish the doors and rocker panels.

Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 4:46 pm
Melon wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 3:21 pm Barrett, you did a quartz coating on the Z ?
Yup. I Cquartz'd the rims first. Then once I finally cleaned and polished a few panels, I glazed them to get rid of a few micro scratches and then Cquartz'd over that.

I only Cquartz'd the hood, front end and the rear because those were the only parts I polished. I was waiting to get the lift to polish the doors and rocker panels.

:jizz: on yo ramz.
Acid666

DAT CQUARTZ HOOD DOE

Acid666

Anyone know of a rust-prevention coating that's not a paint that I can use that will work on an exhaust? The springs that hold the exhaust together on my bike were showing a little sign of rust so I used some rust remover chemical and a wire brush to get it off. This was last year. Turns out it cleaned it off but offered no protection and the humidity in my garage caused the whole thing to rust up.

I'm looking to get those 2 springs cleaned and recoated before I sell the bike so it doesn't look like I've run it thru a sauna. Any ideas of anything I can buy locally to coat and stand up to being attached to the exhaust?
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
Acid666 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:50 am Anyone know of a rust-prevention coating that's not a paint that I can use that will work on an exhaust? The springs that hold the exhaust together on my bike were showing a little sign of rust so I used some rust remover chemical and a wire brush to get it off. This was last year. Turns out it cleaned it off but offered no protection and the humidity in my garage caused the whole thing to rust up.

I'm looking to get those 2 springs cleaned and recoated before I sell the bike so it doesn't look like I've run it thru a sauna. Any ideas of anything I can buy locally to coat and stand up to being attached to the exhaust?
A light coat of oil?
:dat:

It's the same thing you do with tools.
Acid666

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:55 am
Acid666 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:50 am Anyone know of a rust-prevention coating that's not a paint that I can use that will work on an exhaust? The springs that hold the exhaust together on my bike were showing a little sign of rust so I used some rust remover chemical and a wire brush to get it off. This was last year. Turns out it cleaned it off but offered no protection and the humidity in my garage caused the whole thing to rust up.

A light coat of oil?

Ok, I'll look at some options. My main concern is that it doesn't burn off from sitting on the exhaust. Not like it's a huge deal. It's just that I don't ride the bike so I'm not gonna know if it's doing it. I'll clean them off when I get home and then look at coating em.
troyguitar

Acid666 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:13 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:55 am

A light coat of oil?

Ok, I'll look at some options. My main concern is that it doesn't burn off from sitting on the exhaust. Not like it's a huge deal. It's just that I don't ride the bike so I'm not gonna know if it's doing it. I'll clean them off when I get home and then look at coating em.
Just spray it with some chain lube once in awhile. That is made to stick and work in hot places.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:18 pm
Acid666 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:13 pm

Just spray it with some chain lube once in awhile. That is made to stick and work in hot places.
:dat:

:notbad:

I have some if you need it.
Acid666

Not really sure what I got around the house. I'll dig thru my shit and see.
troyguitar

Acid666 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:12 pm Not really sure what I got around the house. I'll dig thru my shit and see.
Ahh yeah I forgot you have the :waxer: bike with no chainz.
Acid666

The springs in question
troyguitar

We use springs like that on the kart exhausts. They don't rust because they are covered in 2-stroke oil that leaks from the flex joint.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I say leave it. Let the next person :dealwithit: