IX-Lemon Life.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:53 am I still want a Tesla. The model 3 I was in rode alright and felt nice enough inside with a very punchy motor. Would be an awesome train station car. But I can see why someone would prefer the i4 to one. Certainly way nicer inside.

The whole “if it breaks we send someone over to you” thing is kinda nice though. Like a minor fix I can just schedule in the app and it gets done while I drink coffee in my underwear. Instead of go to the dealer and get a rando to take me home in a smelly Uber.
Everything but the baffoon running the thing and the car itself is amazing for sure.

They were 100% status symbols here whether or not they still are, :iono: many people still think it's a flex. They were expensive in the beginning and kind of the hot new thing. I guess not unlike having an iPhone in 2008.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

86/brz is way more of a flex imo. Telling the world your lifestyle allows you to have a gasoline sports car with a manual. Vs I gave up and became a lemming in a boring jelly belly.
golftdibrad1
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

D Griff wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:00 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:53 am I still want a Tesla. The model 3 I was in rode alright and felt nice enough inside with a very punchy motor. Would be an awesome train station car. But I can see why someone would prefer the i4 to one. Certainly way nicer inside.

The whole “if it breaks we send someone over to you” thing is kinda nice though. Like a minor fix I can just schedule in the app and it gets done while I drink coffee in my underwear. Instead of go to the dealer and get a rando to take me home in a smelly Uber.
Everything but the baffoon running the thing and the car itself is amazing for sure.

They were 100% status symbols here whether or not they still are, :iono: many people still think it's a flex. They were expensive in the beginning and kind of the hot new thing. I guess not unlike having an iPhone in 2008.

Tesla and Elon have done an amazing thing against the odds, and continue to do so. While I personally don't think the electrification of small passenger vehicles is going to play a huge part in cleaning up pollution, Tesla did some huge things that I am even impressed by.

1. built a new car company. This is hard even for bespoke shit. 4/5 fail before the first car is built probably.
2. Normalized Electric cars/proved them to be technically feasible.
2a. Made electric cars 'cool' and fast, etc etc.
3. Turned that small operation into a huge one, as evidenced by yalls 'electric camry' comments
4. Turned dealer model on its head and everyone in that industry is still big mad about that.
5. oh yea, yuge leaps in automation. 15 years ago when i was graduating college it was INCONCEIVABLE that cars would ever be capable of 'mostly driving themselves' with only onboard sensors. And this was like, a footnote of the models's abilities.

Everyone that is hyper critical of the musk man seems to have some drum to beat; the man is literally trying to save the world (in his own way via tesla, i disagree here but hes certainly executed) , make humans an interplanetary species, and *gasp* maybe turn a bit of profit while doing it.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/cost ... 93..latest
I mean, look at what his company did for spaceflight. Ands whats he doing with most of that profit? Reinvesting it to blow up bigger rockets in a very public lab called the atmosphere to drive that cost down even more. All so humans can leave LEO again one day, and maybe colonize mars. Or at least the moon. What a shithead.

Shall we start a new thread to bash / praise Elon?
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

The best fix is no fix. Model 3 ranked dead last in passing Germany's TUV standards. Lack of proper validation has a cost.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/tesl ... 24595.html
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:49 am

Tesla and Elon have done an amazing thing against the odds, and continue to do so. While I personally don't think the electrification of small passenger vehicles is going to play a huge part in cleaning up pollution, Tesla did some huge things that I am even impressed by.

1. built a new car company. This is hard even for bespoke shit. 4/5 fail before the first car is built probably.
3. Turned that small operation into a huge one, as evidenced by yalls 'electric camry' comments
4. Turned dealer model on its head and everyone in that industry is still big mad about that.
5. oh yea, yuge leaps in automation. 15 years ago when i was graduating college it was INCONCEIVABLE that cars would ever be capable of 'mostly driving themselves' with only onboard sensors. And this was like, a footnote of the models's abilities.

Everyone that is hyper critical of the musk man seems to have some drum to beat; the man is literally trying to save the world (in his own way via tesla, i disagree here but hes certainly executed) , make humans an interplanetary species, and *gasp* maybe turn a bit of profit while doing it.

I mean, look at what his company did for spaceflight. Ands whats he doing with most of that profit? Reinvesting it to blow up bigger rockets in a very public lab called the atmosphere to drive that cost down even more. All so humans can leave LEO again one day, and maybe colonize mars. Or at least the moon. What a shithead.

Yep yep. Just the starting a new car company is really enough......he is walking across a field of the fallen. But I'm taking my pile of cash to the Emira dealer.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Happy with Elon thread we should
Desertbreh

D Griff wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:54 am
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:51 pm

Naw dog. A Gorf and a Type-S Integra is a nice place to be. The Model Y was pile. It's expensive because it's electric. The rest of it is a disgrace. And Max has owned and driven and sees these Teslas all day. I'm a car geek and I still have to look for the gull wing doors to distinguish X and Y.
It's also certainly different to jump from powertrain to powertrain in ICE versus electric and yet they charge like it's the same. Most of the higher power models in EV just have more batteries and/or :tuna: only. Sure, batteries cost money, but motors are cheap and none really compares to putting in a bespoke power plant specially made for a certain version that often has other transmission/tuning, suspension. Like Stingray to Z06 versus Tessie to Tessie Plaid.... no real comparison in actual development/cost to the manufacturer.

I think Teslas are starting to lose that 'it factor'. Many people viewed them as status symbols half a decade ago but I certainly see them now and just think of them like a Camry or the like, they're basically econoboxes. I assume 90% of the ones bought today are just the $300-400/month leases.
The weirdos across the street from us appear to me to be retired Los Angelenos. They own a single model 3. After my ride in the Y, I dislike them even more for soulless hipsterism. I know, I know, they are living within their means and sharing a car, not destroying the planet with 1.5 cars pp including one that could be used as an Uber Black (like........me) , but I still don't like it.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

:disgust:

:wrong:
golftdibrad1

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:00 am Happy with Elon thread we should
:doit:
MrH42 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:24 am

Thank you for refuting my post with data, references, and thoughtful commentary.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:34 am
MrH42 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:24 am

Thank you for refuting my post with data, references, and thoughtful commentary.
If you think this man is trying to "save the world" and make humans "interplanetary", and it's all just pure altruism that just also happened to make him the richest man alive, you're not worth having a discussion with.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

In many ways he's :notwrong: but I think Elon gets a lot of credit for being a 'genius' when really he's just an amazing sales guy/hype man. He gets investor money based on lies (Cyber Truck, self driving, robots, none of this shit is real). They did take EVs to main stream, build the best charging network, improve the dealership model in some ways.

So you can love or hate Elon but he is a liar, a cheater, etc. and not someone I'd prefer to represent with my vehicle choice. Also I think the cars are uggo and kind of lame aside from the power.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Also I am very doubtful Elon GAF about 'saving the world' at all.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

MrH42 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:56 am

The best fix is no fix. Model 3 ranked dead last in passing Germany's TUV standards. Lack of proper validation has a cost.

There’s some thought that since there’s no oil change interval and no set service schedules that more issues are seen during mandatory yearly inspections because scheduled service visits aren’t catching things and addressing them.

Unless you get data from the mfrs on warranty replacements at dealerships, you’re only seeing a portion of the data.

Not defending Tesla necessarily. I wouldn’t be surprised if even with all data available they’re still lower down on the list.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:51 am Also I am very doubtful Elon GAF about 'saving the world' at all.
It’s a nice way to get everyone onboard with .gov sending him a stack of blank checks.
Johnny_P

Good idea this is
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:46 am In many ways he's :notwrong: but I think Elon gets a lot of credit for being a 'genius' when really he's just an amazing sales guy/hype man. He gets investor money based on lies (Cyber Truck, self driving, robots, none of this shit is real). They did take EVs to main stream, build the best charging network, improve the dealership model in some ways.

So you can love or hate Elon but he is a liar, a cheater, etc. and not someone I'd prefer to represent with my vehicle choice. Also I think the cars are uggo and kind of lame aside from the power.
Yeah I agree here. He has some good ideas and some shitty ones (hyper loop and boring company come to mind lol) but they all either make him money or are abandoned. Just like any business / startup.
golftdibrad1

MrH42 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:41 am
golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:34 am

If you think this man is trying to "save the world" and make humans "interplanetary", and it's all just pure altruism that just also happened to make him the richest man alive, you're not worth having a discussion with.
For the record, I don't think he is/can make a dent, but that that is one of his self professed goals. And I also admitted he has profit motive, which i don't consider a bad thing. I also don't think he (or I) will live to see a permanent colony set up off planet, but the ground work is being laid. But anyway, no need to like, explain your position or anything.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:48 am 86/brz is way more of a flex imo. Telling the world your lifestyle allows you to have a gasoline sports car with a manual. Vs I gave up and became a lemming in a boring jelly belly.
Oh agreed, a Tessie is just an econobox, but most people have zero clue what an 86 is and think Teslas are :fancy: (at least around here, I think this is changing).
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:28 am
max225 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:48 am 86/brz is way more of a flex imo. Telling the world your lifestyle allows you to have a gasoline sports car with a manual. Vs I gave up and became a lemming in a boring jelly belly.
Oh agreed, a Tessie is just an econobox, but most people have zero clue what an 86 is and think Teslas are :fancy: (at least around here, I think this is changing).
I think this is because mainstream tesla adoption hasn't happened around your parts at anywhere near the same levels of here. It's literally outselling civics and camrys 3:1 and 2:1 respectively.

Honestly it is our fucked up government making gasoline near $6 a gallon and subsidies for EVs that are forcing this. It really sucks because it creates only a singular option that works for this state when you are not made of money and want a new car.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:05 pm

I think this is because mainstream tesla adoption hasn't happened around your parts at anywhere near the same levels of here. It's literally outselling civics and camrys 3:1 and 2:1 respectively.

Honestly it is our fucked up government making gasoline near $6 a gallon and subsidies for EVs that are forcing this. It really sucks because it creates only a singular option that works for this state when you are not made of money and want a new car.
All :dat:

There are lots of Tessies here but nowhere near the same level. It's still sort of a statement piece in the Southeast I'd say.
max225

MrH42 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:56 am

Very curious about what sort of "brake disc" issues the Model 3 is having. I literally never used my brakes and they would outlast the life of the car... maybe that's the issue... Germany peppers the roads in shit that corrodes the cars into oblivion... so perhaps they rust to shit due to non use.
max225

max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:07 pm

There are lots of Tessies here but nowhere near the same level. It's still sort of a statement piece in the Southeast I'd say.
I think I posted a pic from work... let me do it again for posterity.
Like this feels like communism. :wtaf:

Desertbreh

100. I should have bolded the whole quote.
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:10 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:07 pm

I think I posted a pic from work... let me do it again for posterity.
Like this feels like communism. :wtaf:

It's like a Ford factory worker lot full of Fords. Only your corporate overlord is Elon "Powertrain of the Future, Suspension of the Past" Musk.