General Economic chit chat/updates.

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:25 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:20 pm
That plus layoffs will be good. When does the fan get hit? Summer 23?
My prediction is 2nd half of this year.... October would be the first big wave... and dec/jan would be the second... once the year starts rounding out and people realize how much inflation has eaten away at profits and purchasing power.
Oh, that soon eh? October's right around the corner. Are you thinking there might be some first wave :nuke: soon? Perhaps resulting from Q3 earnings?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:28 pm

My prediction is 2nd half of this year.... October would be the first big wave... and dec/jan would be the second... once the year starts rounding out and people realize how much inflation has eaten away at profits and purchasing power.
Oh, that soon eh? October's right around the corner. Are you thinking there might be some first wave :nuke: soon? Perhaps resulting from Q3 earnings?
Correct. October is right past Q3 earnings and Jan is right past Q4. Can't disclose much else on here but the entire CE industry is starting to show a lot of hurt through multiple leading indicators.
golftdibrad1
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Sepetmember and october are always profit taking months and the markets depress slightly. This year....nothing gon be slight about it.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
ChrisoftheNorth

golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:40 pm
Sepetmember and october are always profit taking months and the markets depress slightly. This year....nothing gon be slight about it.
Indeed they are. Makes sense this year will be :nuke:

I assumed that things would just keep going because nobody wants to accept reality. Then full blown :nuke: when reality can't be ignored anymore. Perhaps that time has come.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:51 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:40 pm

I assumed that things would just keep going because nobody wants to accept reality. Then full blown :nuke: when reality can't be ignored anymore. Perhaps that time has come.
Let's get an RV
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:01 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:51 pm

Let's get an RV
I'll certainly be camper van shopping during the :nuke: This is what I've been saving my cash for. Hopefully I can find someone to paint my tiny house for less than $20k soon too.

I should probably cash out on the S10 while I can...
golftdibrad1

-4% and -1300+ pts for DJIa
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:44 pm -4% and -1300+ pts for DJIa
Slow day eh…
golftdibrad1

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:53 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:44 pm -4% and -1300+ pts for DJIa
Slow day eh…
the cat will bounce today and then thursday and friday will be red. The question is: how much.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:51 pm This morning on a traverse city subreddit someone posted "any tech jobs paying $180k+ in the area?" The OP said they work for google and being forced back to the office and they don't want to move back to CA. $180k is absolute insanity here and does not exist unless you own some major business or something. This is an agriculture/tourist town and that's it. I expected a :lolgasm: feeding frenzy from other locals, but was surprised to see more people asking the exact same in similar situations from google, amazon, facebook, etc. Holy hell, I had no clue how prevalent this was.

The house of cards is falling. Hopefully rural areas like mine will actually come back down to reality. It's way overheated and would benefit for a solid correction IMO.
Wouldn’t surprise me if the first wave of layoffs that start this entire mess of layoffs are the folks who don’t want to move back to wherever they used to be based out of. Easiest decision big companies will make.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:20 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:51 pm This morning on a traverse city subreddit someone posted "any tech jobs paying $180k+ in the area?" The OP said they work for google and being forced back to the office and they don't want to move back to CA. $180k is absolute insanity here and does not exist unless you own some major business or something. This is an agriculture/tourist town and that's it. I expected a :lolgasm: feeding frenzy from other locals, but was surprised to see more people asking the exact same in similar situations from google, amazon, facebook, etc. Holy hell, I had no clue how prevalent this was.

The house of cards is falling. Hopefully rural areas like mine will actually come back down to reality. It's way overheated and would benefit for a solid correction IMO.
Wouldn’t surprise me if the first wave of layoffs that start this entire mess of layoffs are the folks who don’t want to move back to wherever they used to be based out of. Easiest decision big companies will make.
I assumed that's been going on for a while, but it's probably going to accelerate. Which is why I started job hunting for full remote as soon as we moved. These people assuming companies would change their minds are :derp:
razr390

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:34 am
razr390 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:20 am

I assumed that's been going on for a while, but it's probably going to accelerate. Which is why I started job hunting for full remote as soon as we moved. These people assuming companies would change their minds are :derp:
Yeah, it’s one thing to get hired for a fully remote/hybrid job versus be made to go remote due to the circumstances but you were originally going into an office full time before that. Those who expected it to go back to normal at least for THEIR ROLE in THEIR COMPANY that WAS REMOTE by circumstance and not by classification are… :doomed:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

What companies are facing now is unprecedented.

-20%-50 demand
+20-50% increase in raw materials
+50-150% increase in transport costs
+20%-40% labor cost increase

That's roughly the average across most discretional spending categories. Some are better (automotive) for now, and some are far worse... shit like TVs, bicycles, consumer electronics etc. There has never been this much volatility in modern history other than war-time.

The employed pool is FAR too big at the moment. This will correct hard... once the lovely earnings continue to come in and hammer down on everything. Look no further than the shining star Nvidia... they are a leading indicator of whats to come for most places.

This will not affect things like medical fields/supporting fields for that, .gov spending and energy sector. Those three areas are relatively safe at the moment and will continue to reap record profits (energy + medical) and record spending gov.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

Well, I’d say it’s starting in the Title/housing market, as myself and 3 others were just laid off from the company we worked for. And of course both of my boys birthdays are in the next couple of weeks. If anyone knows of someone hiring for IT or customer/project management that’s still doing it for remote work, I’d appreciate a heads up
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Devilchrono wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:08 pm Well, I’d say it’s starting in the Title/housing market, as myself and 3 others were just laid off from the company we worked for. And of course both of my boys birthdays are in the next couple of weeks. If anyone knows of someone hiring for IT or customer/project management that’s still doing it for remote work, I’d appreciate a heads up
Oh shit. Sorry, mang.

Good luck finding new work.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

Devilchrono wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:08 pm Well, I’d say it’s starting in the Title/housing market, as myself and 3 others were just laid off from the company we worked for. And of course both of my boys birthdays are in the next couple of weeks. If anyone knows of someone hiring for IT or customer/project management that’s still doing it for remote work, I’d appreciate a heads up
My company is remote, so is my wife's. DM me if you'd like to learn more.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:15 pm
My company is remote, so is my wife's. DM me if you'd like to learn more.
DM sent sir
razr390

PM me your LinkedIn if you have one. Or your email.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

razr390 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:16 pm
PM me your LinkedIn if you have one. Or your email.
DM sent sir
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Sorry to hear it man. Hope you can find something. My company has some remote stuff but I don't see anything related to IT specifically - https://snapone.com/careers

Where do you live again?
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:17 am
Sorry to hear it man. Hope you can find something. My company has some remote stuff but I don't see anything related to IT specifically - https://snapone.com/careers

Where do you live again?
I live in Missouri, about 40 minutes outside the city of St. Louis
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Devilchrono wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:45 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:17 am

Where do you live again?
I live in Missouri, about 40 minutes outside the city of St. Louis
I know Gulfstream is always hiring for all sorts of different roles. Not sure if there's anything IT related currently but it might be worth a look.
golftdibrad1

oh man that DJIa gonna open under 30k. the banic will ensue
golftdibrad1

andddddd the dow is in a bear market
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:33 pm andddddd the dow is in a bear market
:like: