:plac: finds v2.0: Moar gold on the crangslist

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:03 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:00 pm I also think the 2006 330i is pretty cool, it's the highest powered NA straight six non M car I think? When talking 16 year old BMWs, non turbo sounds pretty appealing. It's kind of like an E36 M3 but with interior pieces that don't fall off as often.
Yea, I don't want to deal with Turbro complexity on a car like that. Which is why I've always been intrigued by the 06 330. I still view e46's and e90's as peak 3 series, I know that's :wrong: but whatever.
One off 255 horse NA straight six. I notice them.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:43 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:55 pm
Yea, I'm prepared to deal with old car shit...I kind of want to as a project that's not the goddamned house. I just don't want to get something with known issues that will plague it and I've always wanted an 06 330.

I'm just tire kicking anyway out of curiosity :tits: has taken a hard stance against a 2nd vehicle that we don't need (she's not wrong).
Take what's yours.
#cucklyfe Maybe I can get approval from the wife's boyfriend.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:15 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:03 pm
Yea, I don't want to deal with Turbro complexity on a car like that. Which is why I've always been intrigued by the 06 330. I still view e46's and e90's as peak 3 series, I know that's :wrong: but whatever.
Same. E90 with a 330 badge on the back and sport wheels always garners a :megusta: from me.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:20 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:15 pm

Same. E90 with a 330 badge on the back and sport wheels always garners a :megusta: from me.
Another way to do that dance would be a 530i sport manual of the same era.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:26 pm
:ohdang: that's... :notbad:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:52 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:26 pm

BMW 128i

Same engine, and you could still get them with sport pack and non nav

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/share/326115439

This has nav but it's still pretty cool :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:54 pm
BMW 128i

:notbad: I've just never wanted a 1 series, I've never been able to get into the styling.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:59 pm

BMW 128i

:notbad: I've just never wanted a 1 series, I've never been able to get into the styling.
Understandable. I love the styling, but I don't love it as much as the E46
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:43 pm

Take what's yours.
#cucklyfe Maybe I can get approval from the wife's boyfriend.
It doesn't hurt to ask.
Desertbreh

BMW 128i

You know your shit my man but I am going to take issue with you here. The 28i motors made 230 hp. 2006 330i was 255hp. Same wunnerful straight six but 25 hp is not inconsequential in these vehicles.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I like the 128i a lot. $10k is :notbad:

It somewhat comes down to personal preference at that point though, the 1 series is a bit more fun size but it’s not THAT much lighter or anything. IMO a 128i drives about the same as my car but with a slower but more enjoyable motor.

I feel like they aren’t that different in size from an E46 either.

Chris since you often like bigger cars maybe look for an E39 530i manual like Eric said. I’ve never driven one but always heard they are great.

I will say BMW makes some of the worst manuals but they’re still enjoyable enough to row.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:11 am I like the 128i a lot. $10k is :notbad:

It somewhat comes down to personal preference at that point though, the 1 series is a bit more fun size but it’s not THAT much lighter or anything. IMO a 128i drives about the same as my car but with a slower but more enjoyable motor.

Chris since you often like bigger cars maybe look for an E39 530i manual like Eric said. I’ve never driven one but always heard they are great.

I will say BMW makes some of the worst manuals but they’re still enjoyable enough to row.
An e39 would be :megusta: Always thought they were the best looking 5 series. THIS is a solid idea, that would be a great 2nd vehicle for trips and whatnot. Hmmm

Not sure I agree that BMW makes some of the worst manuals. My e30 was great, I've driven a number of e46's and e90's that I liked quite a bit :iono:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

I'd rock the shit out of a 135i. A not insignificant part of me was questioning the '86 purchase and thinking I should get a 135i instead. Ultimately the prospect of having new car under warranty won out, but I at least love the idea of those.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:15 am I'd rock the shit out of a 135i. A not insignificant part of me was questioning the '86 purchase and thinking I should get a 135i instead. Ultimately the prospect of having new car under warranty won out, but I at least love the idea of those.
They are so good. I drove Graves 135i (RIP) back in the day when I was in Jacksonville for work and it was a fantastic car. As fast as my Corvette but a much nicer size/better street car. They also have a pretty usable back seat while still being pretty small.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:00 am

An e39 would be :megusta: Always thought they were the best looking 5 series. THIS is a solid idea, that would be a great 2nd vehicle for trips and whatnot. Hmmm

Not sure I agree that BMW makes some of the worst manuals. My e30 was great, I've driven a number of e46's and e90's that I liked quite a bit :iono:
I've never driven an M car but I've always found all of the others to be just sort of rubbery and vague. :iono: it's like a GTI manual, some people love them because they're easy, but I prefer something a bit more mechanical feeling.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:41 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:00 am

I've never driven an M car but I've always found all of the others to be just sort of rubbery and vague. :iono: it's like a GTI manual, some people love them because they're easy, but I prefer something a bit more mechanical feeling.
Ah, yes...the disconnection. I get that entirely. BMW shifters are precise and easy, but indeed not the most "connected". I think Porsches also fit in this category, but everyone says otherwise.

Oddly, my C5 probably ended up having one of the best shifters. I spent a lot of time dialing it in, but once it was setup :impressive: So many people hate it, but it all it took was some refreshing and attention to detail with alignment.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:50 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:41 am

Ah, yes...the disconnection. I get that entirely. BMW shifters are precise and easy, but indeed not the most "connected". I think Porsches also fit in this category, but everyone says otherwise.

Oddly, my C5 probably ended up having one of the best shifters. I spent a lot of time dialing it in, but once it was setup :impressive: So many people hate it, but it all it took was some refreshing and attention to detail with alignment.
Yeah :iono: I thought the C5 shifter was pretty dece. Sure, S2000, Miata, BRZ, stuff like that is better, but it was a lot better than any European car I've ever driven IMO.

I do agree, the BMW shifters work well, just not a great feel. The rev hang in mine is also rough, but that wouldn't be an issue in the stuff you're looking at.

I also found the only Porsche shifter I've experienced wasn't nearly as great as people make them out to be, but it wsa also a Cayman S on Turo with 100K miles, so I will withhold judgement of the brand based on that. It was definitely worse than like... a Civic though.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:56 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:50 am

Yeah :iono: I thought the C5 shifter was pretty dece. Sure, S2000, Miata, BRZ, stuff like that is better, but it was a lot better than any European car I've ever driven IMO.

I do agree, the BMW shifters work well, just not a great feel. The rev hang in mine is also rough, but that wouldn't be an issue in the stuff you're looking at.

I also found the only Porsche shifter I've experienced wasn't nearly as great as people make them out to be, but it wsa also a Cayman S on Turo with 100K miles, so I will withhold judgement of the brand based on that. It was definitely worse than like... a Civic though.
I've driven brand new Porsches...Cayman, Boxster, 911, all had really meh shifters. I don't get the hype.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:01 am

I've driven brand new Porsches...Cayman, Boxster, 911, all had really meh shifters. I don't get the hype.
:word: So much was amazing about that Cayman, it makes me wonder why journalists talk up the shifting... seemed like a low point in my limited experience.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

I drove a friend's 128 a bit a few years ago and concur that it was pretty sweet.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I lapped a 911 996 :manuel: and thought it was okay, better then a stock C5.5 in the sense that finding gears was more crisp, but similar to any five speed VW I drove in the past. I think they pour all of their resources into the PDKs which are pretty :neat: if you're into that sort of thing or an old with a bad left knee or something.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Japanese cars have the best :manuel: :doe:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I don't get it either. It's Honda>VW>Subaru>Rest for me.
McQueenBalls
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Previous comment up the page was correct - engine is not the same - the 330 made more power than the 28. I too scope these and think how nice it would be to scoop up an E46 or E90 straight 6 w the horse and buggy transmission and leave puddles of oil in my driveway, but I never do it. I miss rowing the gears and driving something that feels like im actually driving

I miss the gti too. Not the utter piece of shit aspect of it but it was much more fun than the camry.
Current: 2016 328i M sport JB+, lots of gay options - Most Expensive 4 banger in history

Past: 2010 GTI 2dr 6 spd stage1 shit pile | 2013 320i Sportpkg stage 1 - Groundskeeper's Edition
Desertbreh

:howdareu: