Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I would argue that offering both makes little sense, the hatch could look about the same but just be more useful. They probably didn't have budget to make multiple variations and I doubt it would make overall sales go up all that much. It had to be one or the other and they chose 2% better performance over 10% better practicality. That would be what I guess is the reasoning, that and/or the assumption that people don't like hatchbacks and coupes have a better perception.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:35 am I would argue that offering both makes little sense, the hatch could look about the same but just be more useful. They probably didn't have budget to make multiple variations and I doubt it would make overall sales go up all that much. It had to be one or the other and they chose 2% better performance over 10% better practicality. That would be what I guess is the reasoning, that and/or the assumption that people don't like hatchbacks and coupes have a better perception.
:dat: :dat: :dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

MrH42 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:12 am
RLWake wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:28 pm Nah, I'm not gonna go after a vette. I went and drove my buddy's 2020 BRZ today and I was quite impressed. Given that the new GR86 is supposedly better in every way... I think I'm gonna go with that.

I'm hopefully gonna get a phone call tomorrow morning saying I have a job offer... and if so, I think I'll go ahead with putting down a deposit.

Which one of you guys was it that has the :dillerman: hookup for an early allocation at MSRP?
:fuckyeah:

My dealer has committed to giving me Subaru VIP pricing if I order one (it's like Subaru's supplier discount kind of thing). But they would sell you one at MSRP I'm sure, if not lower, without it. Let me know if you need more info.
:challengeaccepted: tell me more... timeline, where is this, etc?
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:35 am I would argue that offering both makes little sense, the hatch could look about the same but just be more useful. They probably didn't have budget to make multiple variations and I doubt it would make overall sales go up all that much. It had to be one or the other and they chose 2% better performance over 10% better practicality. That would be what I guess is the reasoning, that and/or the assumption that people don't like hatchbacks and coupes have a better perception.
:notwrong:
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

RLWake wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:40 am
MrH42 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:12 am

:fuckyeah:

My dealer has committed to giving me Subaru VIP pricing if I order one (it's like Subaru's supplier discount kind of thing). But they would sell you one at MSRP I'm sure, if not lower, without it. Let me know if you need more info.
Ohio. As for timeline, not sure. They don't have any incoming now. They would basically put the order in. I think that would put you into December right now based on what I'm seeing on 86 forums.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

MrH42 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:32 pm
RLWake wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:40 am

Ohio. As for timeline, not sure. They don't have any incoming now. They would basically put the order in. I think that would put you into December right now based on what I'm seeing on 86 forums.
The roads through southern Ohio and Appalachia back down to Florida would be :jimp:
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

It wouldn't go through south east Ohio where the good roads are sadly :(

Never mind, it's about a wash when you take into account where the dealership is.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

MrH42 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:17 pm It wouldn't go through south east Ohio where the good roads are sadly :(

Never mind, it's about a wash when you take into account where the dealership is.
Well you can pick and choose routes. He could go from your area, head east through Point Pleasant, and then down the mountains through TotD/Blue Ridge towards Atlanta or Greenville, then hit the highways to Orlando.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I made audible premature ejaculation noises when I saw this. I literally can't even. :jimp: :jizz:

RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:46 pm
MrH42 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:32 pm

The roads through southern Ohio and Appalachia back down to Florida would be :jimp:
Break-in period :(

I’m not the kind of person to really redline the car before 1000 miles. Good news is that the drive home from OH or NJ are both >1000 miles so I’ll be able to knock that out in the first day of ownership!
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

RLWake wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:04 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:46 pm

I’m not the kind of person to really redline the car before 1000 miles. Good news is that the drive home from OH or NJ are both >1000 miles so I’ll be able to knock that out in the first day of ownership!
You don't need to rag on a car to enjoy mountain roads
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:08 pm
RLWake wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:04 pm

Very true. Either way, I’m sure as hell not just taking interstates home.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

RLWake wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:11 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:08 pm
If i were you i would take the blue ridge, tail of the dragon and the like. Blue ridge starts right off i64 in VA (about a mile away as skyline drive intersects the 64 i believe), close to Charlottesville.

Think about it, less traffic (hell barely any), barely any traffic lights, no rock chips from trucks and so on. Stop by cute little areas with pics. I never drove on BR, but I have on skyline and they ask up to 20 bucks just to go there or get a seasonal pass to see the parks and hikes associated with skyline. :notsure: if its the same case, a few on here most likely knows whats up.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:23 pm

If i were you i would take the blue ridge, tail of the dragon and the like. Blue ridge starts right off i64 in VA (about a mile away as skyline drive intersects the 64 i believe), close to Charlottesville.

Think about it, less traffic (hell barely any), barely any traffic lights, no rock chips from trucks and so on. Stop by cute little areas with pics. I never drove on BR, but I have on skyline and they ask up to 20 bucks just to go there or get a seasonal pass to see the parks and hikes associated with skyline. :notsure: if its the same case, a few on here most likely knows whats up.
Sounds like heaven to me!
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

RLWake wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:02 pm

Sounds like heaven to me!
Plenty of roads near the route I mentioned.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Blue Ridge Parkway is free, Skyline is a National Park, hence the cost. BRP would 5/7 recommend. It is gorgeous and honestly much more f a sightseeing road than a hooning road, so even while in break-in period, it would be excellent.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

But like Cale said, just look at the map and search for twisty areas through State Parks and such, you'll have a way nicer drive that way. When I bought the BMcuckleU back, I drove through the mountains/hills in Alabama, Georgia and NC. It added some time to the trip for sure, but was far more enjoyable.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Speaking of twisty and scenic routes, any recommendations for a road trip from Delaware to Martha's Vineyard?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:28 pm Speaking of twisty and scenic routes, any recommendations for a road trip from Delaware to Martha's Vineyard?
Oof... that I-95 corridor from DC to Boston is the worst... I would think overshoot it to the west a bit, head north and cut across once you're well north of NYC, through Hartford/Providence or around there and then over to the Cape. You'll have to go way out of your way to get to anything good, but NW CT, Northern PA, and NY near there have some decent roads/scenery.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:59 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:28 pm Speaking of twisty and scenic routes, any recommendations for a road trip from Delaware to Martha's Vineyard?
Oof... that I-95 corridor from DC to Boston is the worst... I would think overshoot it to the west a bit, head north and cut across once you're well north of NYC, through Hartford/Providence or around there and then over to the Cape. You'll have to go way out of your way to get to anything good, but NW CT, Northern PA, and NY near there have some decent roads/scenery.
:dat: when I drove to vermont from nyc, theres this 2 lane highway in ct that was pretty nice to drive, not the boring i95 kind. I think [user not found] knows. It might connect through brooklyn iirc. Ill look for it
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Yeah the boarder of NY, with CT, NH, and VT has some great roads. 3rdgenfan rode with me for a day through that area. However they aren't really anywhere near the route to Martha's.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:05 am But like Cale said, just look at the map and search for twisty areas through State Parks and such, you'll have a way nicer drive that way. When I bought the BMcuckleU back, I drove through the mountains/hills in Alabama, Georgia and NC. It added some time to the trip for sure, but was far more enjoyable.
:amaze:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Speaking of hatchbacks, apparently the new Integra will be a 5 door hatch :fuckyeah:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3777 ... %20Openers
Like the original Integra introduced in 1986, the new Integra will be offered as a five-door hatchback.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

wap wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:25 pm Speaking of hatchbacks, apparently the new Integra will be a 5 door hatch :fuckyeah:

Like the original Integra introduced in 1986, the new Integra will be offered as a five-door hatchback.
Was kinda hoping for a 3 door hatch a la TT… not another Mercedes CLA :flaccid:
wap

RLWake wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:07 pm
wap wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:25 pm Speaking of hatchbacks, apparently the new Integra will be a 5 door hatch :fuckyeah:

Was kinda hoping for a 3 door hatch a la TT… not another Mercedes CLA :flaccid:
From the article:
The teaser photo only shows the five-door form, but the announcement does not necessarily rule out a three-door performance variant in the future
:notsure: :doe: