Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Apex wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:10 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:07 pm

:megusta:

I feel like a hot tub is one of the worst purchases ever but I really want one :lolol:
Dis one is included in the purchase price. :lol:
Yeah I can't imagine it added anything to the value, so you're getting one "free" which is 5/7. I'd have a hard time committing to blowing four figures on such a thing knowing that will all be down the drain and assuming we will be out of this pad in the next five years.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MrH42 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:11 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:06 pm

That was me :lolol:

Although they actually have a large outfit in Meatchicken for OEM car audio shit.
My bad. I have a hard time keeping up.
No worries, we are all too cucked up to :plac: cars anymore, so we :plac: jobs now I guess? :iono:
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:24 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:10 pm

Dis one is included in the purchase price. :lol:
Yeah I can't imagine it added anything to the value, so you're getting one "free" which is 5/7. I'd have a hard time committing to blowing four figures on such a thing knowing that will all be down the drain and assuming we will be out of this pad in the next five years.
Yeah, appraisal even noted $0 for the hot tub. :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

MrH42 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:12 pm

I feel like a hot tub is one of the worst purchases ever but I really want one :lolol:
Hot tubs are cool. But not nearly as cool as a sauna. That's what I really want.
We have both. Use the hot tub WAY more.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Hot tubs are cool. But not nearly as cool as a sauna. That's what I really want.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

ChrisoftheNorth

MrH42 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:04 pm

I saw you said Harmon. What other places are you interviewing? More automotive stuff or not?

Although they actually have a large outfit in Meatchicken for OEM car audio shit.
I've applied to a number of positions there and been ghosted.
ChrisoftheNorth

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:51 am Just wrapped up the last of my scheduled interviews so far, now it's time for a brain break finally.
I saw you said Harmon. What other places are you interviewing? More automotive stuff or not?
I want out of automotive bad. It's a dead toxic industry that needs to die and rise from the ashes. Right now, GM is my most likely prospect. Finished final rounds this morning, I expect an offer at some point. Don't really want it, but I'm currently unemployed by choice, soooo :iono:

The one I really want is for an automotive data company (a subsidiary of IHS) that would expand my skillset to digital which would blow up my overall job opportunities. It's hard to escape automotive, and this would be a great step out. Final rounds should be scheduled next week.

I need some time to shut my brain off, so I really hope to not hear anything for a week or 2. If nothing pans out, I'll start applying to more jobs at the end of the month. I suspect the debate will be whether or not to take a job that I don't really want but can tolerate at a decent company (GM) for solid pay and great benefits. I could fully retire in 10-15ish years and then figure something else out.
Apex

Tre post :impressive:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:10 pm Tre post :impressive:
My phone glitched :aintcare:
Apex

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:11 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:10 pm Tre post :impressive:
Dat Obamaphone. :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:12 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:11 pm
Dat Obamaphone. :lol:
Basically.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:50 am

So much work to do next week… at least there’s a hot tub waiting at the end. :excited:

SO MANY USED OPTIONS
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Desertbreh wrote:
D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:07 pm :megusta:

I feel like a hot tub is one of the worst purchases ever but I really want one Imageol:
SO MANY USED OPTIONS
I think I'd rather buy someone's unfinished kit car.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:33 am

:excited: Legit stoked for you :mahman:
So much work to do next week… at least there’s a hot tub waiting at the end. :excited:
Congrats ! This saga is finally coming to a good end
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:10 pm

I want out of automotive bad. It's a dead toxic industry that needs to die and rise from the ashes. Right now, GM is my most likely prospect. Finished final rounds this morning, I expect an offer at some point. Don't really want it, but I'm currently unemployed by choice, soooo :iono:

The one I really want is for an automotive data company (a subsidiary of IHS) that would expand my skillset to digital which would blow up my overall job opportunities. It's hard to escape automotive, and this would be a great step out. Final rounds should be scheduled next week.

I need some time to shut my brain off, so I really hope to not hear anything for a week or 2. If nothing pans out, I'll start applying to more jobs at the end of the month. I suspect the debate will be whether or not to take a job that I don't really want but can tolerate at a decent company (GM) for solid pay and great benefits. I could fully retire in 10-15ish years and then figure something else out.

I get it. It's a total meat grinder of an industry. Ruthlessly competitive and stressful. There's really never any let up. That's what eventually drove me out of the industry. I was in charge of all scheduling and planning in supply chain for our plant. One of our main pieces of equipment was consistently at 105-110% capacity. We were already on a 24/7 shift model, with only 2 hours of preventative maintenance a week. I begged for a cheap, manual line to supplement to give us some breathing room, and they wouldn't invest <$1M+. Instead, if we ran slow to standard, my life was hell constantly. I tried to move to run the program management department and they told me I would leave a bigger hole in supply chain than I would fill in PM. So I left.

Pharma is frustrating and awful for totally different reasons, and I miss a lot about the auto world, but it was probably the right call.

I applied to work an IHS ages ago. I used them as a customer for years too.
Apex

max225 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:56 pm

Congrats ! This saga is finally coming to a good end
Thanks!
ChrisoftheNorth

MrH42 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:57 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:10 pm

I get it. It's a total meat grinder of an industry. Ruthlessly competitive and stressful. There's really never any let up. That's what eventually drove me out of the industry. I was in charge of all scheduling and planning in supply chain for our plant. One of our main pieces of equipment was consistently at 105-110% capacity. We were already on a 24/7 shift model, with only 2 hours of preventative maintenance a week. I begged for a cheap, manual line to supplement to give us some breathing room, and they wouldn't invest <$1M+. Instead, if we ran slow to standard, my life was hell constantly. I tried to move to run the program management department and they told me I would leave a bigger hole in supply chain than I would fill in PM. So I left.

Pharma is frustrating and awful for totally different reasons, and I miss a lot about the auto world, but it was probably the right call.

I work in product management, which at the Corp level is just a bs pusher and order taker. I'm sick of the politics and old school bs.

It just so happens that my field is in crazy high demand right now for software development and digital stuff, the problem is I have no direct experience there. IHS bought a company that needs someone to lead a software product they want to sell to OEMs and wants someone with OEM experience. I've had 5 interviews now and all have gone awesome. It's my perfect opportunity to transition out of OEM and eventually out of auto altogether. Living the lucrative techbro life is more appealing than being ground to nothing in auto.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:

I work in product management, which at the Corp level is just a bs pusher and order taker. I'm sick of the politics and old school bs.

It just so happens that my field is in crazy high demand right now for software development and digital stuff, the problem is I have no direct experience there. IHS bought a company that needs someone to lead a software product they want to sell to OEMs and wants someone with OEM experience. I've had 5 interviews now and all have gone awesome. It's my perfect opportunity to transition out of OEM and eventually out of auto altogether. Living the lucrative techbro life is more appealing than being ground to nothing in auto.
I wish you luck, but I hate that companies are hiring people to be software leaders when they have never worked on software before. It happens in every industry and always seems dumb to me.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

wap wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:07 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:36 am

Speaking of Greece. They just let cars going into the borders for those who aren't EU citizens from Turkey. My family and I almost booked a flight, cause Greece only allowed for anyone coming with a US passport for flight only, until this morning. Also for flights, the PCR test required to come 5 hours early upon departure.

Booked one night for Alexandropoli as we're leaving Istanbul sunday night, which is a 3 hour drive. 2 nights in Thessaloniki and 2 nights in Athens. :excited:
:neat:
I've always wanted to go to Thessaloniki. I've never been north of the Meteora/Trikala/Kalambaka area.

Have you been following the wildfires there, :doe: ? They are fighting more than 116 fires across the country amid their epic heat wave. It was 115F in Athens the other day, the highest temp in all of the European continent. :thisisfine: :(
I have... sadly, rhodes are involved too. Pretty much a common issue in the northern coast of the Mediterranean. I also talked to my cousins who lives in Athens on the phone and told us not to come to Athens. On top of that, the route we were planning to take from Thessaloniki to Athens is closed because of it. So its only Alexandropoli and Thessaloniki (which I have to be for work purposes). The fire in Athens are not far from the city center, luckily my cousins are fine...for now.

Just today I experienced a rain of ash and later that was caused from the wildfires in Greece.

I'd definitely recommend Thessaloniki, very nice town, pretty chill. I don't recall as large as Athens, I probably only experienced 5 km's of its boardwalk and churches closer to the city center.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:04 pm

I've applied to a number of positions there and been ghosted.
:word: I have applied to many positions at Harman over the years, this was my first non-ghost, and it seems like it will be going all the way to offer, but nothing yet.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:07 pm

I will say, as awful as the auto industry can be, it really is way ahead of a lot of other industries, in terms of processes and efficiency. I thought Pharma was going to be like being transported into the future, because margins are better so they must have invested so much more than the auto world? Wrong. It's like 40 years behind auto in almost everything :lol:

I feel bad though. A lot of the best people I've ever worked with are life long auto people, grinding it out every day. They would run circles around people in other industries. You just have to show your skill set can transfer into another industry. I lucked out in that a guy I worked with in auto made the jump to Pharma because his wife worked there, and he pulled me along with him. I probably would have struggled to get in if I didn't have somebody vouching for me.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:35 pm
wap wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:07 am
:neat:
I've always wanted to go to Thessaloniki. I've never been north of the Meteora/Trikala/Kalambaka area.

Have you been following the wildfires there, :doe: ? They are fighting more than 116 fires across the country amid their epic heat wave. It was 115F in Athens the other day, the highest temp in all of the European continent. :thisisfine: :(
I have... sadly, rhodes are involved too. Pretty much a common issue in the northern coast of the Mediterranean. I also talked to my cousins who lives in Athens on the phone and told us not to come to Athens. On top of that, the route we were planning to take from Thessaloniki to Athens is closed because of it. So its only Alexandropoli and Thessaloniki (which I have to be for work purposes). The fire in Athens are not far from the city center, luckily my cousins are fine...for now.

Just today I experienced a rain of ash and later that was caused from the wildfires in Greece.

I'd definitely recommend Thessaloniki, very nice town, pretty chill. I don't recall as large as Athens, I probably only experienced 5 km's of its boardwalk and churches closer to the city center.
:(
I just read this morning that that highway (The Athens Lamia National Road) was closed. Ash rain sounds like biblical End of Days shit. :nope: Hope your cousins stay safe. The fires are approaching Athens from the north and the air quality in the city is horribad at the moment.

Thessaloniki is Greece's second city, so smaller than Athens, but still a pretty good sized city. I'm thinking of going once they finish their Metro system. They already finished a high-speed train line from Athens to there. :megusta:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Fuck yeah ‘Pecs. Stoked for you to finally be done with this madness. Hope Monday goes smooth.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:11 pm
Detroit wrote: I work in product management, which at the Corp level is just a bs pusher and order taker. I'm sick of the politics and old school bs.

I wish you luck, but I hate that companies are hiring people to be software leaders when they have never worked on software before. It happens in every industry and always seems dumb to me.
I think it depends on the software/project. In the case of this job, they need someone to guide feature priority and development to appeal to OEMs. A software product manager has no idea how OEMs will use this thing and that's the challenge of this job. The product manager needs to be a marketer and an engineer. Most think they know everything and end up fucking things up, I'm not like that.

There's immense opportunity in remote software product management, and it's where I want to go. I need to start somewhere and I'm fully transparent with interviewers that I understand this is a development area and it's something I really want to develop. I've even offered to get certifications or training before hiring. I get ghosted for most jobs I apply to, so this auto opportunity is pretty much my one shot without starting at ground zero in an entry level job, which I'm open to as well. be