Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: occasionally

Tarspin wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:47 pm
HerrBerlin wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:29 pm

It's alright. I've been reflecting on it quite a bit and think the best route forward will probably be to just slap 18s on it and stop caring so much. It's still and incredible car even if I'm not appreciating it for all that it is. I keep going back and forth on what to do :doe:

Vroom offered $41k and I'm waiting to hear back from Carvana. I'm about $46k all in (MSRP + shipping + high sales tax/reg) and would rather keep it than lose more than $2k or so on it, which is possible if I traded it in to leverage sales tax credit.

As far as BMWs go, yours is :nice:
I downsized from 19s to 18s (bought a cheap used set), and run 17s in the winter. Each 1" change gives the car a different character, and at 19" it was too much. I can only imagine what 20s feel like IRL. I think that 18s could be a rally big improvement in ride characteristics.
The car actually rides pretty well even with the 20s. Just would so nice to have a few extra inches of sidewall so I don't have to read the road and avoid every imperfection in my way. I probably look drunk to anyone behind me.

A better ride (and look imo) from more rubber would just be icing on the cake.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

HerrBerlin wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:10 am

I downsized from 19s to 18s (bought a cheap used set), and run 17s in the winter. Each 1" change gives the car a different character, and at 19" it was too much. I can only imagine what 20s feel like IRL. I think that 18s could be a rally big improvement in ride characteristics.
The car actually rides pretty well even with the 20s. Just would so nice to have a few extra inches of sidewall so I don't have to read the road and avoid every imperfection in my way. I probably look drunk to anyone behind me.

:doit:

That should help and with time you can hopefully worry less about swirl marks and stuff. We all hate them but as you own the vehicle longer, it gets less painful. I agree with you that on a “special” vehicle like the Type R, it’s a lot more frustrating.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

razr390 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:49 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:50 pm
Those are my favorite wheels. Look decent and indestructible.
Johnny messed up one I think. but then again philafghanistan roads be :ludacris:
Two actually
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Hey @Johnny how much are you driving nowadays?
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:03 pm Hey @Johnny how much are you driving nowadays?
To / from doggy day care twice a week plus a trip to Grammys on Sundays and a Whole Foods run once a week.
70 miles a week?
Johnny_P

HerrBerlin wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:10 am

I’d do 18s so you don’t lose too much sharpness in the steering and chassis. Maybe you can find a used set?
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:42 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:03 pm Hey @Johnny how much are you driving nowadays?
To / from doggy day care twice a week plus a trip to Grammys on Sundays and a Whole Foods run once a week.
70 miles a week?
Solid. Was curious to see some updates as you run through the tank. Somehow I am still driving almost 2k miles a month still.
max225

Was it always like this ? Listen to the people too…
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:36 pm

Was it always like this ? Listen to the people too…
Ha ha. :ayfkm:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Got the :poorvette: back this morning. Compressor and labor that that were free, but some other debris filled tube, and them fixing my brake again after the last dealer half assed it made for a $500 bill.

$4700 spent of the fucking thing this month.

:rage:
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:26 pm Got the :poorvette: back this morning. Compressor and labor that that were free, but some other debris filled tube, and them fixing my brake again after the last dealer half assed it made for a $500 bill.

:amazing:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:26 pm Got the :poorvette: back this morning. Compressor and labor that that were free, but some other debris filled tube, and them fixing my brake again after the last dealer half assed it made for a $500 bill.

Should have just bought a second one. :lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Ooof I’m sorry man. That stings.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Apex wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:49 pm

Should have just bought a second one. :lol:
:lol: OOF
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Someone asked to buy it while it was at the shop in NY, before the work was started.

I could have sold it for 10 or something, and been 15k ahead of where I am right now but I'd miss the hell out of it.

I'll just drink at home for a while :lolol:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:37 pm Someone asked to buy it while it was at the shop in NY, before the work was started.

I could have sold it for 10 or something, and been 15k ahead of where I am right now but I'd miss the hell out of it.

:lolol: you’ll be alright!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:37 pm Someone asked to buy it while it was at the shop in NY, before the work was started.

I already miss mine and it isn’t sold yet… so I don’t think it was a bad move. If I had a garage I would be keeping it I think. They’re mostly reliable cars, the $5k outlay is kind of one and done and you’ll be good for a while.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:39 pm

I already miss mine and it isn’t sold yet… so I don’t think it was a bad move. If I had a garage I would be keeping it I think. They’re mostly reliable cars, the $5k outlay is kind of one and done and you’ll be good for a while.
Besides the steering rack starting to weep and the rear axle shaft doing the same thing...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:46 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:39 pm

Besides the steering rack starting to weep and the rear axle shaft doing the same thing...
These are all things making me dump mine, I am just not that into wrenching at this stage…. Is the rack weep heat related? The Z06 steering cooler helped mine out.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:51 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:46 pm

These are all things making me dump mine, I am just not that into wrenching at this stage…. Is the rack weep heat related? The Z06 steering cooler helped mine out.
No idea but I'm not about to pay another $1000 this driveway is already stained from me and it's a rental. Drip drip drip
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:13 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:51 pm

No idea but I'm not about to pay another $1000 this driveway is already stained from me and it's a rental. Drip drip drip
:lolol: my C5 once dumped like a full quart+ of oil on the work parking lot and I proceeded to leave it there for five days to go galavant in Las Vegas before dealing with fixing it… :ohwell:
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:19 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:13 pm

:lolol: my C5 once dumped like a full quart+ of oil on the work parking lot and I proceeded to leave it there for five days to go galavant in Las Vegas before dealing with fixing it… :ohwell:
That's kind of rude and :disgust: man.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:24 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:19 pm

Well it wasn’t intentional… I also wasn’t going to miss my flight for it. Cleaned it up as best I could with paper towels and dealt with it when I got back. Office is also a shithole in a massive industrial park so the parking lot is already filled with worse.
max225

D Griff wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:25 am
max225 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:24 am

Well it wasn’t intentional… I also wasn’t going to miss my flight for it. Cleaned it up as best I could with paper towels and dealt with it when I got back. Office is also a shithole in a massive industrial park so the parking lot is already filled with worse.
That makes it a bit more palatable.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

A limerock green c7 parked behind me at top golf just now.

He's wearing UA sneaks.

Fail