Truk Talk: Invest in Trukcoin!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:24 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:21 am
I don't consider myself fitting in something if I have to gangsta lean the seat to keep my head from hitting the roof.

I don't have to do that in any other :truk:
But you and me and a few others on here are way taller than the average person, it isn't fair to discredit the vehicle based on our vertical challenges to others. You "fit" into a C5, and I am willing to argue that a C5 is far smaller than a taco.
I modified the seat in my C5 to "fit", otherwise I don't.

I never said it's a bad truck for everyone. I just said it's a bad truck for me.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

For the record I'm 6'2 and about 60% legs and I never felt an issue with the cab. But we're all unique snowflakes and are shaped differently. Saying you don't fit is a legit complaint about it just like I don't fit in the early gen miatas. But I agree that doesn't make it a bad car for everyone like some on here are acting.

Drum brakes doe. Pretty sure that's on the list for mortal sins
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

dtraill27 wrote:For the record I'm 6'2 and about 60% legs and I never felt an issue with the cab. But we're all unique snowflakes and are shaped differently. Saying you don't fit is a legit complaint about it just like I don't fit in the early gen miatas. But I agree that doesn't make it a bad car for everyone like some on here are acting.

Thou shalt not stoppeth thy :truk: with drums
ChrisoftheNorth

dtraill27 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:38 am For the record I'm 6'2 and about 60% legs and I never felt an issue with the cab. But we're all unique snowflakes and are shaped differently. Saying you don't fit is a legit complaint about it just like I don't fit in the early gen miatas. But I agree that doesn't make it a bad car for everyone like some on here are acting.

Yea? You couldn't stop your truck with those ancient drum brakes?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:53 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:06 am I can't even fit in a Tacoma to gauge how crappy it is (or isn't). I tried again at the auto show a few weeks ago...it's like the cab is smashed vertically or something. I have no such problem in the Frontier, Ranger, Gladiator, or Colorado.
It is - it's not a good truck for people who are long legged or very tall. I have the legs of someone 6'3 or so - nobody can sit behind me in a Taco. I can't fit into a NB Miata, either.

The benefit of the squashed cab is that you get more rocker clearance/lower CoG.

I like the Taco. It's reliable and looks fine and does what it's supposed to do perfectly. Plus the aftermarket is unparalleled, except for maybe the Jeep market (which is full of cheap crap).

And my stance on the drums is that I'd rather have discs simply because they're easier to work on. Replacing drum shoes is a PITA.
Holy crap, this.

In fact, the complexity of drum brakes really makes me question the true cost savings. I just don't see how all that crap is so much cheaper, but it is.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:58 am Holy crap, this.

In fact, the complexity of drum brakes really makes me question the true cost savings. I just don't see how all that crap is so much cheaper, but it is.
Materials cost, most likely. Drums are very simple designs with not terribly complex parts. Just not easy to service.
That giant cast iron drum, the giant shoes, the cylinder, all the springs and shit...plus the labor to install it all (someone has to do it) I can't see how that's significantly cheaper than a brake disk, caliper, and pads.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:21 pm
[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:11 pm

Materials cost, most likely. Drums are very simple designs with not terribly complex parts. Just not easy to service.
That giant cast iron drum, the giant shoes, the cylinder, all the springs and shit...plus the labor to install it all (someone has to do it) I can't see how that's significantly cheaper than a brake disk, caliper, and pads.
Yea I never understood how a drum is cheaper. It is inferior in every way to discs. More complex, heavier and worse performing.

But rear brakes don’t matter anyways, my 335i had giant 4 piston fixed calipers up front and tiny sliders out back. 90% of the braking is in the front anyways :science:

The lambo uterus is even worse it has something like 16 piston calipers up front and tiny sliders out back. I mean for aesthetics alone that is :wrong: shame on VW
Last edited by max225 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:06 am I can't even fit in a Tacoma to gauge how crappy it is (or isn't). I tried again at the auto show a few weeks ago...it's like the cab is smashed vertically or something. I have no such problem in the Frontier, Ranger, Gladiator, or Colorado.
It is very uncomfortable IMO (the last gen, haven't been in a new one)... smashed vertically is a good way to put it.

And my "test drive" was pretty extensive, probably drove it 100 miles and even on some light trails. It's a perfectly OK vehicle that will get you where you need to go and haul some things, I just don't really understand the obsession many have.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:27 pm
It is very uncomfortable IMO (the last gen, haven't been in a new one)... smashed vertically is a good way to put it.

And my "test drive" was pretty extensive, probably drove it 100 miles and even on some light trails. It's a perfectly OK vehicle that will get you where you need to go and haul some things, I just don't really understand the obsession many have.
Legit question... who is obsessed with a taco. ? That’s like obsessed with a sketchers shoe.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

dtraill27 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:38 am For the record I'm 6'2 and about 60% legs and I never felt an issue with the cab. But we're all unique snowflakes and are shaped differently. Saying you don't fit is a legit complaint about it just like I don't fit in the early gen miatas. But I agree that doesn't make it a bad car for everyone like some on here are acting.

:word:

I'm 6'2" and all torso... I wouldn't say I don't fit in a Taco, it's just not all that comfortable for me. The only car I've driven that I'm truly "too large to fit" is the NB Miata, my head actually pushes up the roof on those.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:46 am

When I traded it in I just hopped out of it and it kept rolling into the sunset. Some say it's still going to this day
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:30 pm

I'm 6'2" and all torso... I wouldn't say I don't fit in a Taco, it's just not all that comfortable for me. The only car I've driven that I'm truly "too large to fit" is the NB Miata, my head actually pushes up the roof on those.
I still managed to drive one :aintcare:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:30 pm

Legit question... who is obsessed with a taco. ? That’s like obsessed with a sketchers shoe.
Many people think they're the greatest truck ever, for example, my friend who owns one (the one I've driven extensively). My old roommate as well - makes like 45k/year but blew $30k on a brand new Taco because it's "the best car" even though all he does is commute 40 miles a day. He is literally the least active person I know, does nothing outdoors, rents, has zero use for a :truk:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:32 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:30 pm

I still managed to drive one :aintcare:
I did too, but I couldn't deal with it day to day. The C5 on the other hand, has tons of room inside. NA had just enough.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

2019 when Americans feet are so fat they need relaxed fit shoes
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:32 pm
Many people think they're the greatest truck ever, for example, my friend who owns one (the one I've driven extensively). My old roommate as well - makes like 45k/year but blew $30k on a brand new Taco because it's "the best car" even though all he does is commute 40 miles a day. He is literally the least active person I know, does nothing outdoors, rents, has zero use for a :truk:
And all the things you mentioned about him basically tell you everything you need to know about him and his automotive/everything else opinions
ChrisoftheNorth

dtraill27 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:31 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:46 am
When I traded it in I just hopped out of it and it kept rolling into the sunset. Some say it's still going to this day
Was a serious question (I support the drum decision), but whatever.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:36 pm
dtraill27 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:31 pm

Ah, mine was more a jest of everyone going full :triggered: a few pages back. I was totally fine with them as well. No issues over the 35k miles I drove it. I'm sure I would have been annoyed when it came time to replace them though
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

dtraill27 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:41 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:36 pm
Ah, mine was more a jest of everyone going full :triggered: a few pages back. I was totally fine with them as well. No issues over the 35k miles I drove it. I'm sure I would have been annoyed when it came time to replace them though
It depends on the drum design. Some look like the engineer owned a spring supply company while designing the fucking things. Others keep things to a minimum.
The rear brakes on my 08 Silverado are pretty simple, but that large single spring can be a real bitch to reinstall. Thankfully, the rear brakes should be good for another 100K.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

Apex wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:44 am
Huckleberry wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:41 am

I wonder what it would take to get that motor up to the Ram 3.5's 300 HP?
https://rippmods.com/collections/superc ... ger-system

325WHP on 37s. :megusta:
Shoo. Steep price tag for 325 WHP.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:12 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:44 am

https://rippmods.com/collections/superc ... ger-system

325WHP on 37s. :megusta:
Cheaper than a HEMI swap. :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:14 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:12 pm

I'd be worried about the tune. Ripp makes a blower kit for the Colorado, and I've heard the tune is garbage.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:31 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:14 pm

I'd be worried about the tune. Ripp makes a blower kit for the Colorado, and I've heard the tune is garbage.
I remember you mentioning that about the Colorado kit, but I see a bunch of :jeep: running their setup so :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:34 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:31 pm
I remember you mentioning that about the Colorado kit, but I see a bunch of :jeep: running their setup so :iono:
:notsure: how much I trust forumbros.

Anyone that spends $6k+ on something will love it regardless of quality. Don't want to admit you lit $6k on fire.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:36 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:34 pm

:notsure: how much I trust forumbros.

Anyone that spends $6k+ on something will love it regardless of quality. Don't want to admit you lit $6k on fire.
That's from chatting with people in person, not necessarily full forumbro.

Found this too: https://www.edelbrock.com/e-force-super ... -1527.html
Little more reputable, backed by a 3/36 warranty.