Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:23 am https://www.freep.com/story/money/busin ... 432754002/

:mindblown:

I'd go see this thing today if I wasn't already :drunk:
You're already :drunk: ??
:wtf:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:23 am https://www.freep.com/story/money/busin ... 432754002/

that is the most terrible tasteles thing ive seen in awhile
brain go brrrrrr
wap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:18 am

that is the most terrible tasteles thing ive seen in awhile
:dat:
:disgust:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:03 am

You're already :drunk: ??
:wtf:
:bruh:

Irish day. I've been :drunk: since 9:00 am.

:drunk: :drunk: :drunk:
:drunk: :triggered: :drunk:
:drunk: :drunk: :drunk:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Oh yeah, forgot about what day today is. Carry on then.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:42 pm You can :waxer: all you want, but I'm Pinshit level: Expert

Behold:

Century old barnwood :triggered:
$20 worth of plumbing supplies :triggered:
Place for plates to get nice and greasy :triggered:

While I'm still against the concept, I can admit this looks pretty cool. Going to add two more shelves above each for a total of 6. That'll come next week since the bottom shelves were just proof of concept.

Each pipe is connected to the wall via 4 toggle anchors with a claimed 158lb rating...158x4x2. They might outlast the house.
in4updates on your paper plate bill
brain go brrrrrr
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

I like that kitchen but the color choice isn't my favorite.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:01 am I like that kitchen but the color choice isn't my favorite.
The part that bugs me the most is the black plates on the white outlets. I would probably replace the receptacles with black ones.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:06 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:01 am I like that kitchen but the color choice isn't my favorite.
The part that bugs me the most is the black plates on the white outlets. I would probably replace the receptacles with black ones.
thats oil rubbed bronze bro, do you even pinshit?
brain go brrrrrr
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:06 am
Almost looks unfinished. Like there is no cover.

Assume in person it looks better but yes, needs to match, regardless of my opinion on the colors
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

How thick are those shelves?
ChrisoftheNorth

:ohdang:

To address the questions...

I always take a plate from the one below the top plate. Though, amazingly the top plates really don't get that dirty/greasy. The vent hood is insanely strong, and that combined with regular plate rotation, I've never picked up a dirty top plate. Still don't use them, :doe:

The orange and gray photographs like shit (gray is too blue in photos), but looks better in person. We have brown grout between the gray tiles, and it looks 5/7 IRL.

The outlets are beige/cream colored, and the plates are indeed oil rubbed bronze. Much like the walls and tile, IRL the plates are way more brown, and the outlets are more cream. The contrast is actually :notbad: IMO, but I did consider replacing the outlets with brown.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:08 pm How thick are those shelves?
Century-old barnwood...varies in thickness from 2" to 2.75" Fuckers are HEAVY.

I just realized that I never posted a finished photo. There's 6 shelves that go up the wall and follow the hood. I'll take a photo tonight. It honestly turned out way better than I initially anticipated.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:13 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:08 pm How thick are those shelves?

I just realized that I never posted a finished photo. There's 6 shelves that go up the wall and follow the hood. I'll take a photo tonight. It honestly turned out way better than I initially anticipated.
Plaster and lath walls? I know you said they were anchored with toggles. Got to be some heavy duty stuff
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:19 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:13 pm

Plaster and lath walls? I know you said they were anchored with toggles. Got to be some heavy duty stuff
Yep, plaster and lath throughout the entire house. I've gotten pretty good at patching.

Massive toggles...claimed to be good for 250lbs. I have 3 on each shelf "bracket" pipe thing and the 4th screw is in a stud (that's why they're spaced the way they are.

Amazingly sturdy.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:10 pm :ohdang:

I always take a plate from the one below the top plate. Though, amazingly the top plates really don't get that dirty/greasy. The vent hood is insanely strong, and that combined with regular plate rotation, I've never picked up a dirty top plate. Still don't use them, :doe:

The orange and gray photographs like shit (gray is too blue in photos), but looks better in person. We have brown grout between the gray tiles, and it looks 5/7 IRL.

The outlets are beige/cream colored, and the plates are indeed oil rubbed bronze. Much like the walls and tile, IRL the plates are way more brown, and the outlets are more cream. The contrast is actually :notbad: IMO, but I did consider replacing the outlets with brown.
:csb:

but

:wrong:

:trollface:
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:37 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:10 pm :ohdang:

:csb:

but

:wrong:

:trollface:
:lolol: :dat:
wap

[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:49 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:00 am

in4updates on your paper plate bill
:well:
:dat:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Haus update, kitchen is not done yet, we still need a few trim pieces, knobs and vent cover but mighty close! My cabinet guy is :mindblown: , i didnt expect this fit and finish for the price we paid.ImageImageImage
Last edited by Tar on Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
wap

Very nice!
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:11 am Haus update, kitchen is not done yet, we still need a few trim pieces, knobs and vent cover but mighty close! My cabinet guy is :mindblown: , i didnt expect this fit and finish for the price we paid.
Looks awesome! You should be very happy.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Thanks, we are really happy with the results and effort made by our guy. He took his time, and it shows. 5/7 end result! Nicole and I did some homework on finishings and style cues, anytime we found something we like we sent our guy a pinshit pic and he took care of it.

The only thing that didn't work out are cup style pull handles on the small drawers, i had to file down the bases on three round knobs instead to fit into the slots of the shaker frames (2 1/4" frame on a 6" panel because I'm a :derp: ). Those small drawers probably should have been flat pieces to get the result we planned for. My contractor didn't know we would chose those types of handles so he couldn't warn us ahead. Still looks good doe. I didn't get a picture of it, but it's not a big deal. The house feels renewed and I couldn't be happy to replace 800-900 sq ft of 18 yr old tile with oak hardwood.
ChrisoftheNorth

Wow. End result is 5/7.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Woah, 5/7 results!
ChrisoftheNorth

Speaking of end results, here's how our DIY Pinshit renno turned out...

:millennial: