Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:20 pm
dubshow wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:50 pm I have an equal desire for a 2004-2008 Lexus GX 470. It would be a GREAT jeep replacement. And I would have no car payment.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... ode1=GX470

https://jackson.craigslist.org/cto/d/20 ... 13779.html

They can be had for $6k-12k with under 150k miles. Should last to 250k. There is a decent aftermarket support. Gets 14/18mpg. Can tow more than :jeep:

Some models have a BITCHIN fold up 3rd row seat.

I was looking at these the other day, thinking about one day finally building that F-Mod car if we end up in Charlotte with a real garage. Seems like a great option for non- :truk: people. 188x74" relatively compact footprint with bulletproof DOHC V8, 6500 lb tow rating, and fancy Lexus interior. For a little more cash you can go super low mileage and drive the thing forever:

I'd ideally go for a midsize van instead of an SUV but they don't sell any in this country except for the benz, ain't nobody got time for an out of warranty modern German car :doe:
troy and I agree on a thing, muchless a car!? :mindblown:

they are very high on my list of things I'd pull trigger on.

:howdy: :mahtroy:

glad to see ya back in the hood.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I'm fully sold on Toyota appliances.

The 2019 Transit Connect with :jalepenis: 1.5 TDI and 8AT could be better for me but that's like $30k and you end up with 120 hp trying to move 5000+ lbs... Dangerously slow.

I want a thing that can tow 2000 or so lbs, fit easily in a garage and parking spaces, and be outfitted as a mini-RV to sleep in the back at tracks and rest stops.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:32 pm I'm fully sold on Toyota appliances.

The 2019 Transit Connect with :jalepenis: 1.5 TDI and 8AT could be better for me but that's like $30k and you end up with 120 hp trying to move 5000+ lbs... Dangerously slow.

I want a thing that can tow 2000 or so lbs, fit easily in a garage and parking spaces, and be outfitted as a mini-RV to sleep in the back at tracks and rest stops.
covered race trailer? add ac and wall mount folding bunk. win win.
troyguitar

dubshow wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:32 pm I'm fully sold on Toyota appliances.

That's a big and expensive thing requiring another big and expensive :truk: to haul it... and you only have the camper when you have the trailer. I want to drop the trailer at the track (where I can't necessarily sleep, autox sites have weird rules) and have a normal-sized vehicle with sleeping quarters for the rest of the weekend.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:20 pm
dubshow wrote:
That's a big and expensive thing requiring another big and expensive :truk: to haul it... and you only have the camper when you have the trailer. I want to drop the trailer at the track (where I can't necessarily sleep, autox sites have weird rules) and have a normal-sized vehicle with sleeping quarters for the rest of the weekend.
:manuel: Countryman
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:30 pm Image
:notsure: if :trollface:
troyguitar

Apex wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:20 pm That's a big and expensive thing requiring another big and expensive :truk: to haul it... and you only have the camper when you have the trailer. I want to drop the trailer at the track (where I can't necessarily sleep, autox sites have weird rules) and have a normal-sized vehicle with sleeping quarters for the rest of the weekend.
:manuel: Countryman
Rated for towing in murica? My original plan was a TDI DSG JSW... :thanksobama:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:20 pm
dubshow wrote:
I support the Lexus appliance idea. Bonus is it’s a nice fucking vehicle either way.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:20 pm That's a big and expensive thing requiring another big and expensive :truk: to haul it... and you only have the camper when you have the trailer. I want to drop the trailer at the track (where I can't necessarily sleep, autox sites have weird rules) and have a normal-sized vehicle with sleeping quarters for the rest of the weekend.
I support the Lexus appliance idea. Bonus is it’s a nice fucking vehicle either way.
I'm a moran :doe: with no interest in DD'ing an appliance, so I need to have space and cash and time to have a fun DD and a tow+camper appliance and a trailer and a racecar... or like $75k+ and a 4+ car garage.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:30 pm Image
:wtf:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Apex

troyguitar wrote:
Apex wrote: :manuel: Countryman
Rated for towing in murica? My original plan was a TDI DSG JSW... :thanksobama:

They’ll tow small loads like you are looking at rather well.

I don’t recall if it has official US tow ratings, quick google search pulls up ratings in kilos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
troyguitar

Apex wrote:
troyguitar wrote:Rated for towing in murica? My original plan was a TDI DSG JSW... :thanksobama:

They’ll tow small loads like you are looking at rather well.

I don’t recall if it has official US tow ratings, quick google search pulls up ratings in kilos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:notbad:

Still :waxer: and questionable on the reliability front. Maybe a :povertytruck: with a camper bed is the way to go? Could even keep it "Mazda" with a B-series. IIRC the regular cabs are around 188x70" footprint with a 6 ft bed. Annoyingly it seems like the new rangers will be a lot bigger and not come in regular cab versions, making them even bigger. 2.3T+10AT would be nice.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

4zilch wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:41 am
But no. We get black, white, other white, gray, gray-blue, and red.
:dat:

and the gray-blue is only available on the GT :bs:

Red is probably my preferred color on these given the options.
It's not even red, :disappoint:

It's AARPurple.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:20 pm
4zilch wrote:

and the gray-blue is only available on the GT :bs:

Red is probably my preferred color on these given the options.
It's not even red, :disappoint:

It's AARPurple.
Tan interior too. :jimp:
Apex

troyguitar wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:48 am :notbad:

Still :waxer: and questionable on the reliability front. Maybe a :povertytruck: with a camper bed is the way to go? Could even keep it "Mazda" with a B-series. IIRC the regular cabs are around 188x70" footprint with a 6 ft bed. Annoyingly it seems like the new rangers will be a lot bigger and not come in regular cab versions, making them even bigger. 2.3T+10AT would be nice.
A :povertytruck: would be sweet, I like them a lot. Regular cab, camper top, will tow what you want to and be decently comfortable for track side camping IMO.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

dubshow wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:16 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:20 pm

I was looking at these the other day, thinking about one day finally building that F-Mod car if we end up in Charlotte with a real garage. Seems like a great option for non- :truk: people. 188x74" relatively compact footprint with bulletproof DOHC V8, 6500 lb tow rating, and fancy Lexus interior. For a little more cash you can go super low mileage and drive the thing forever:

I'd ideally go for a midsize van instead of an SUV but they don't sell any in this country except for the benz, ain't nobody got time for an out of warranty modern German car :doe:

:mindblown: I agree... the one car DFD members can agree on is a snooze fest mom SUV :wtf:

They are really underrated vehicles though. As capable as a 4Runner but nicer and cheaper. :notbad: .
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:37 pm
dubshow wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:16 pm

:mindblown: I agree... the one car DFD members can agree on is a snooze fest mom SUV :wtf:

They are really underrated vehicles though. As capable as a 4Runner but nicer and cheaper. :notbad: .

But luxury per $ on the used market is hard to beat.

:lolol:
troyguitar

dubshow wrote:
D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:37 pm :mindblown: I agree... the one car DFD members can agree on is a snooze fest mom SUV :wtf:

But luxury per $ on the used market is hard to beat.

Imageol:
I don't really want one, but it might be the best option by the time I consider price, reliability, etc. 2WD Sequoia or an actual half ton van are likely better if I could get over never being able to park in a garage or fit easily in parking spaces.

Just let the thing rot outside, right?
wap

Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

wap wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:32 am :jimp: :impressive:

Hey Dave!!

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cultur ... ate=041418
I was at Retro-Classics a couple weeks ago. The 928 want is strong. The frau approves as well. The car is lower and wider than most think and its so unique and attractive today. Garage space is an issue. I know the maintenance is a pain but the cars are just so cool compared to what's out there these days.
troyguitar

Did some more research last night and it looks like :minivan: might actually be my answer if I'm realistic. 2011+ :doge: caravan has the 3.6 pentastar which makes decent power and is reliable enough on regular gas, has tons of space with the rear seats removed, is rated for 3600 lbs towing, and has depreciated way better than an SUV or :truk:

$10k buys a sub-50k mile one already, they're practically worthless. Another couple of years and they'll be nearly free.
troyguitar

I like the idea of a loaded passenger one so you can see while driving it, have rear ac/heat, etc. You can always block the windows while parked.

It's weird how cheap they are now, makes an SUV seem incredibly stupid in comparison.
wap

Davestr wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:28 am
wap wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:32 am :jimp: :impressive:

Hey Dave!!

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cultur ... ate=041418
I was at Retro-Classics a couple weeks ago. The 928 want is strong. The frau approves as well. The car is lower and wider than most think and its so unique and attractive today. Garage space is an issue. I know the maintenance is a pain but the cars are just so cool compared to what's out there these days.
That would be :mindblown: awesome if you actually bought one! :jelly:
wap

troyguitar wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:11 pm Did some more research last night and it looks like :minivan: might actually be my answer if I'm realistic. 2011+ :doge: caravan has the 3.6 pentastar which makes decent power and is reliable enough on regular gas, has tons of space with the rear seats removed, is rated for 3600 lbs towing, and has depreciated way better than an SUV or :truk:

$10k buys a sub-50k mile one already, they're practically worthless. Another couple of years and they'll be nearly free.
Friends of mine bought one new back in 2011, with the Pentastar, and it's been quite reliable for them, first model year and all. They've taken it on several long road trips and he DD's it to work every day.