Stupid wrenching stories

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:50 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:47 pm

It was super frustrating... I thought it was a one off thing, but it literally strips the threads if you use it to loosen bolts :( I guess it is due to the "impact" function. I got the tool to help me save time, but instead, I wasted a bunch of time+money on it.
I have one of these. Haven't tried using it yet. :popcorn:
I have a 1/4 inch impact (same brand and battery) and it doesn't strip threads.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:54 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:50 pm

I have one of these. Haven't tried using it yet. :popcorn:
:mahtroy: luck i guess. Do you use it to loosen bolts or just move shit along?
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:57 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:54 pm
I use it for everything that I can't easily get off by hand. Thing is, it's :jalepenis: so it takes a bit to loosen whatever, but it's not putting so much torque out that it'll rip the threads off the bolt.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:01 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:57 pm

I use it for everything that I can't easily get off by hand. Thing is, it's :jalepenis: so it takes a bit to loosen whatever, but it's not putting so much torque out that it'll rip the threads off the bolt.
The impact function stripped mine. The aluminum inside the transmission and the metal inside the control arms for me. So it wasn't the bolt itself. :iono: why
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I love my electric impact. I have the Craftsman 19.2v C3 1/2" guy.

https://www.ebay.com/p/19-2v-C3-Craftsm ... 2410228333
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
max225

Just remembered one that was bad.
After I replaced the intake manifold on the crown vic, I went for a drive, then suddenly I smelled gas. During the removal/install of the injectors, one of the O rings got a hairline crack and started to leak fuel over the engine.

The car could have caught on fire... and my $150 repair job would have ruined a $1500 car (at that time)

:disgust:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:30 pm Just remembered one that was bad.
After I replaced the intake manifold on the crown vic, I went for a drive, then suddenly I smelled gas. During the removal/install of the injectors, one of the O rings got a hairline crack and started to leak fuel over the engine.

The car could have caught on fire... and my $150 repair job would have ruined a $1500 car (at that time)

I've seen the same thing ruin a nice 944 Racecar.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Wow that would have been exciting indeed.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I'll bet there is some guy at a VW dillership thinking about a :derp: moment he had today...
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

:impressive:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Once installed a rear brake pad backwards. Made terrible noise. Came back, yup, roasted through the metal backer pad.. oops.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Melon wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:36 pm I'll bet there is some guy at a VW dillership thinking about a :derp: moment he had today...
Lolz
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

dubshow wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:57 pm Once installed a rear brake pad backwards. Made terrible noise. Came back, yup, roasted through the metal backer pad.. oops.
They last longer that way.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Changed a water pump without draining the coolant first.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Cross threaded the front axle into the forks on my old speed triple. Tightened it up NFG and sold the bike shortly thereafter to let someone else deal with it.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:31 pm

944's have some :fullretard: fuel line routing. from the fender well OVER the exhaust manifold to the engine. Both lines (feed/return) over are rubber. Then there's a small rubber jumper hose from the fuel line to the pressure regulator (IIRC). That little jumper is prone to leaking, and caused engine fires far enough back that Porsche did a recall on them. Chronic issues.

Now to why I bring this up to wrap into the thread:

I was at a Porsche Club auto-x when I had my 944, and this dude about my age rolled up in an impossibly clean Guards Red 86 944 Turbo. He popped the hood, and the first thing I noticed was the original fuel lines. I pointed it out to him, asked if they're original. He said proudly "hell yea! Everything is original on this car! It's only got 40k miles, I bought it from the original owner!". I told him about how common fires are form the original fuel lines, especially in high heat high performance environments. He looks at the engine and points to the critical little jumper hose. "This little thing?" he asked. I told him that and the feed/return lines running over the manifold. He takes hold of the little jumper and tugs on it so hard that I thought it was going to pull out. "Looks good to me" he says.

:rolleyes:

We do our first heat, and I'm standing around (pretty much all you do in AutoX) and he rolls up after his run and says "Hey, do you smell fuel?". I look under the car and see a drip of clear something, but didn't smell anything. I tell him something's dripping, but can't smell, so he pops the hood. Knowing that air+heat+fuel=fire, I yell at him to shut the car off and leave the hood closed for a bit while I grab my fire extinguisher. He complies. We let the car sit for a bit to cool, and the drip has stopped, but it's obviously fuel (can smell). I told him to call a tow truck and he says "fuck that, it drove here fine. I'm just going to drive it home. I only live 20 miles away." I looked at this pristine Guards Red 944 Turbo and pleaded for him to call a tow. Again he refused, jumped in, fired it up, and drove off...leaving a trail of fuel behind.

I never saw him or the car again. I can only assume he :nuke:
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:10 am
Melon wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:36 pm I'll bet there is some guy at a VW dillership thinking about a :derp: moment he had today...
Lolz
You HAVE TO have a good story or two, bruh
Johnny_P

4zilch wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:17 am Changed a water pump without draining the coolant first.
:impressive:

So it just made a giant mess? I made a huge mess with my water pump change out on my Focus, even though I drained it first and all.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:42 am
Melon wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:31 pm

944's have some :fullretard: fuel line routing. from the fender well OVER the exhaust manifold to the engine. Both lines (feed/return) over are rubber. Then there's a small rubber jumper hose from the fuel line to the pressure regulator (IIRC). That little jumper is prone to leaking, and caused engine fires far enough back that Porsche did a recall on them. Chronic issues.

I was at a Porsche Club auto-x when I had my 944, and this dude about my age rolled up in an impossibly clean Guards Red 86 944 Turbo. He popped the hood, and the first thing I noticed was the original fuel lines. I pointed it out to him, asked if they're original. He said proudly "hell yea! Everything is original on this car! It's only got 40k miles, I bought it from the original owner!". I told him about how common fires are form the original fuel lines, especially in high heat high performance environments. He looks at the engine and points to the critical little jumper hose. "This little thing?" he asked. I told him that and the feed/return lines running over the manifold. He takes hold of the little jumper and tugs on it so hard that I thought it was going to pull out. "Looks good to me" he says.

We do our first heat, and I'm standing around (pretty much all you do in AutoX) and he rolls up after his run and says "Hey, do you smell fuel?". I look under the car and see a drip of clear something, but didn't smell anything. I tell him something's dripping, but can't smell, so he pops the hood. Knowing that air+heat+fuel=fire, I yell at him to shut the car off and leave the hood closed for a bit while I grab my fire extinguisher. He complies. We let the car sit for a bit to cool, and the drip has stopped, but it's obviously fuel (can smell). I told him to call a tow truck and he says "fuck that, it drove here fine. I'm just going to drive it home. I only live 20 miles away." I looked at this pristine Guards Red 944 Turbo and pleaded for him to call a tow. Again he refused, jumped in, fired it up, and drove off...leaving a trail of fuel behind.

Holy shit. Guy drove off into the sunset only to BECOME the sunset :amazing:

What a tard.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

4zilch wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:19 am Cross threaded the front axle into the forks on my old speed triple. Tightened it up NFG and sold the bike shortly thereafter to let someone else deal with it.
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:56 am
4zilch wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:19 am Cross threaded the front axle into the forks on my old speed triple. Tightened it up NFG and sold the bike shortly thereafter to let someone else deal with it.
:dat:
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:57 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:56 am

ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:49 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:42 am

What a tard.
Correct.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:49 am

What a tard.
You can always ride off into the sunset, when you make your own fireball of a sun.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

dubshow wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:57 pm Once installed a rear brake pad backwards. Made terrible noise. Came back, yup, roasted through the metal backer pad.. oops.
Also did this while installing brake pads in the dark. Luckily, the noise it made moving about five feet was bad enough that I stopped, investigated, and fixed the whoops.