Dat photography thread, doe.

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

So I think I need to downsize my DSLR setup. I have a Canon 60D and a small selection of big, bulky glass for it.

I don't shoot with it anymore. It's just so cumbersome and heavy to lug around. I realized this when I went to the UK... we hiked to the top of the highest mountain in Wales, and I packed the 60D, a Sigma 17-70 2.8 and the 70-200 4 L IS. It was an albatross, and I barely ended up shooting with it on the entire trip because it was more in the way than anything else.

I'm debating trading it all in and downsizing to a mirrorless setup. It looks like I should probably end up with enough for an above average body and a couple of above average or kit lenses.

Looking at the Olympus OM-D or similar. Thoughts?
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Friend of mine got one of the mirroless Sony's and she's taken some pretty great pictures with it. I don't know anything about mirrorless camera pricing, so not sure if that is out of range of the Olympus or Fuji...
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:41 pm I concur with pretty much everything you've said. I like the Olympus, but also really like the Fuji, too.

I've reached a point where I don't shoot much anymore either because lugging a ton of crap around just isn't fun. I'd rather have my phone in my pocket.

What I'd like to do is MPFA - make photography fun again.
Did you see Lightroom CC at all?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:15 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:01 pm

Did you see Lightroom CC at all?
Haven't even been on my own computer for a while.

What are the big changes?
$10/mo.
1TB of storage. It's all cloud based now and allows instant resume of work regardless of PC or iPad or phone.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/18/164 ... hotography
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

camera phone? iphone 9? one plus 10? yota phone 6? samyoung universe 13?
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:38 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:38 pm camera phone? iphone 9? one plus 10? yota phone 6? samyoung universe 13?
:gtfo: with your :scoot:
Lytro? :caspian:

polaroid? :notsure:

10mm? :foreveralone:

6d mkii? :plaid:

Imax? :mindblown:
brain go brrrrrr
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:38 pm camera phone? iphone 9? one plus 10? yota phone 6? samyoung universe 13?
:millennial:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Forester

Why does the black girl get her face partially cropped out of that photo?
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:37 am So I think I need to downsize my DSLR setup. I have a Canon 60D and a small selection of big, bulky glass for it.

I don't shoot with it anymore. It's just so cumbersome and heavy to lug around. I realized this when I went to the UK... we hiked to the top of the highest mountain in Wales, and I packed the 60D, a Sigma 17-70 2.8 and the 70-200 4 L IS. It was an albatross, and I barely ended up shooting with it on the entire trip because it was more in the way than anything else.

I'm debating trading it all in and downsizing to a mirrorless setup. It looks like I should probably end up with enough for an above average body and a couple of above average or kit lenses.

Looking at the Olympus OM-D or similar. Thoughts?
I actually bought a Canon M3 for the same reason, sometimes I just dont want to bring my dslr around (same one too, 60D).

Have the bracket so I could still use the canon dslr lenses on it.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:13 pm Coworker got an OM-D. Pretty fucking cool.

Played around with it a little bit - digital viewfinder is sharp AF.
which one?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:02 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:37 pm

which one?
OM-D EM-10 MkII. Paid $650ish, I think.

I played around with it a bit, one of my biggest gripes is that I can't figure out how to preview the shot in the viewfinder. It auto adjusts to show the brightest possible view, there's gotta be a setting somewhere.
They're going for $500 with a kit lens now the mk3 is out.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

I have an older Olympus 4/3rds camera and some lenses that I bought when I sold my Nikon D700 for the reasons you mentioned... I wasn't using it enough because of the size.

Fast forward a few years and some money on lenses later and I really don't use it much either due to some of its shortcomings (EVF, smaller size and harder to navigate fast settings changes). Pics were good, but the user experience is about as good as just using a phone.. I bought a D750 when they came out and reinvested in Nikkor lenses and just put a deposit down to get in line for a D850 body.

What I try to do now is not to haul around everything all of the time and I try to stick to 1 or 2 lenses only.

The OM-D's look decent, but do you really want to invest heavily into a new system and glass to only get a 16mp camera?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:45 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:42 pm I have an older Olympus 4/3rds camera and some lenses that I bought when I sold my Nikon D700 for the reasons you mentioned... I wasn't using it enough because of the size.

Fast forward a few years and some money on lenses later and I really don't use it much either due to some of its shortcomings (EVF, smaller size and harder to navigate fast settings changes). Pics were good, but the user experience is about as good as just using a phone.. I bought a D750 when they came out and reinvested in Nikkor lenses and just put a deposit down to get in line for a D850 body.

What I try to do now is not to haul around everything all of the time and I try to stick to 1 or 2 lenses only.

The OM-D's look decent, but do you really want to invest heavily into a new system and glass to only get a 16mp camera?
MPs aren't the answer to everything.

I'm sticking with what I've got, though - plenty happy with it, just need to shoot more.

My stint at AWE destroyed my love for photography, I need to find a way to get it back. :iono:
MPs are the answer to some of my problems. My wife wants a lot of larger prints, for some large walls. She would love some of my older shots which are from my old D2X days but there really are not enough pixels to support a large print if you want to stay at close to 300 ppi, especially if you need to do some small cropping. Even a 13x19 print is pushing the limits on that 12mp sensor. Here is a calculator for the OM-D's image size: https://toolstud.io/photo/megapixel.php ... late=print

So I would advise if you think you might be in this situation where you want to print w/o serious image manipulation and interpolation, get a sensor with more resolution. I can't just see dumping thousands into a system that is only going to give you so many limited options anymore.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:46 am Been redoing my photo site - had to touch up my portfolio, which made me scan through all the work I've done over the years, and I think it's time I uploaded the work I did while employed at a particular company...

Link: https://zrepp.smugmug.com/

I want to start shooting again. Need to start shooting again. I miss it.
Needs moar Adventure pics. :megusta:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:30 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:55 am

Needs moar Adventure pics. :megusta:
:dat:

I'm probably gonna venture into Wharton again sometime in the next few weeks.
What are the trails like in Wharton? The GC only has street tires on it, no AT's until spring most likely.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:09 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:38 pm

What are the trails like in Wharton? The GC only has street tires on it, no AT's until spring most likely.
Sandy, not too aggro. Ground clearance is more important in some spots, but I see a lot of Subarus in there too.
:notbad: Let me know when you're going and maybe we can tag along?
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:57 am
Apex wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:13 pm

:notbad: Let me know when you're going and maybe we can tag along?
Sure man.

I like heading into Wharton when it's cold and the ground's frozen - the only thing you really need to watch out for in there are deep mud holes, but usually they're avoidable.
:like:

We've never been down to Wharton so it would be cool to check out.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:30 pm Also: I added quite a few more photos to my site over the last week.

More to come, ja.
dat FR-S.
Apex

That FRS looks awesome with the OZ wheels.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:38 am That FRS looks awesome with the OZ wheels.
I miss that car.
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:01 am
Apex wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:38 am That FRS looks awesome with the OZ wheels.
I miss that car.
Not the warranty work doe I'm sure.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:megusta:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

My DSLR has begun to collect dust again

:(

wish I had some more time and inspiration to actually use it. The Canon M3 mirrorless DSLR I bought damn near two years ago, I only used 1 time at my puppy's, puppy school graduation.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:12 am
09vdubgti wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:07 am My DSLR has begun to collect dust again

:(

wish I had some more time and inspiration to actually use it. The Canon M3 mirrorless DSLR I bought damn near two years ago, I only used 1 time at my puppy's, puppy school graduation.
It’s just so much easier to use a phone camera these days and the drawbacks are slim to none.

Last time I bothered with my DSLR was early December. I took two shots, put it away, and used my phone instead.
Unless you want to print. For just taking snaps, I agree if you have a good phone with a lot of dynamic range they are hard to beat.

I just took a bunch of images in Tennessee on my DSLR and with 45MP I can still print large after some cropping if needed w/o issue.

I ordered a classic (10.8 x 14.4 in), large (15.6 x 20.8 in) and extra large (21.6 x 28.8 in) set of prints from fracture with images from my D750 (24MP) and at close, living room wall distances I see a lack of data on the extra large prints from the D750. If you are back 15+ feet they look fine though, but any cropping or adjustment that removes any PPI will make it worse.

Once the mirrorless market gets a lot better, as in much better than the new "pretty damned good" Sony units I will likely move over. It would be much easier for me if Nikon makes a mirrorless that will use the existing lenses. My biggest complaint on the current mirrorless is the EVF, it needs to be much, much more like looking through the lens for me to be comfortable with a camera that hits 10+ FPS.