Stupid wrenching stories

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:56 am

I've seen Zilch in this shirt at TOTD. It all makes sense now.

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:45 am
4zilch wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:17 am Changed a water pump without draining the coolant first.
:impressive:

So it just made a giant mess? I made a huge mess with my water pump change out on my Focus, even though I drained it first and all.
Yeah - was in college and it was the last day of class before winter break. I wasn't using my brain - took the belt off, removed the 3 bolts holding the pump on, and pried pump away from the block and wooosssshhh. All of the coolant emptied.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

stripethree wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:45 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:56 am

I've seen Zilch in this shirt at TOTD. It all makes sense now.

:dat:

I often wondered if the subsequent owners ever needed to change the front tire.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

this one time i broke camshaft setting the timing.

Just kidding no one breaks a camshaft
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:46 pm this one time i broke camshaft setting the timing.

:dat: it's impossibru
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:46 pm this one time i broke camshaft setting the timing.

:lolgasm:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

Back in my teens, when my parents were still together and my dad and I would do as much of the maintenance as we could ourselves. One weekend, we had the hoods up on 3 of 5 vehicles and the cover off the boat motor doing various shit to them all on a weekend. He ended up breaking 2 separate tools, wasted 5 quarts of oil, ruined a set of brake pads and dented the hood on his DD while trying to push a serpentine belt back into place with a broom handle. The thing I found the funniest though was the neighbor that kept walking by the house all day to watch what we were doing, and then had the audacity to ask if we could take a look at his truck the next day, as we seemed to have our hands full right at that moment.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

any good updates today?
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Devilchrono wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:25 pm Back in my teens, when my parents were still together and my dad and I would do as much of the maintenance as we could ourselves. One weekend, we had the hoods up on 3 of 5 vehicles and the cover off the boat motor doing various shit to them all on a weekend. He ended up breaking 2 separate tools, wasted 5 quarts of oil, ruined a set of brake pads and dented the hood on his DD while trying to push a serpentine belt back into place with a broom handle. The thing I found the funniest though was the neighbor that kept walking by the house all day to watch what we were doing, and then had the audacity to ask if we could take a look at his truck the next day, as we seemed to have our hands full right at that moment.
We have this one older couple in our row of townhouses who look super :disgust: every time i'm outside working on something, whether it be our cars, cutting wood for a project, etc. It's interesting that people think it's such a spectacle. Maybe with broom sticks involved, it is.
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Tits and ass to the DFD

Some years back I was changing a flat on the side of the road on my friends car. The nut was more than a little fused and I kept pushing and pushing aaaaaaaaand twisted the damn thing in half.. thread half still inside. Does this count?
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

D Griff wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:37 am
Devilchrono wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:25 pm Back in my teens, when my parents were still together and my dad and I would do as much of the maintenance as we could ourselves. One weekend, we had the hoods up on 3 of 5 vehicles and the cover off the boat motor doing various shit to them all on a weekend. He ended up breaking 2 separate tools, wasted 5 quarts of oil, ruined a set of brake pads and dented the hood on his DD while trying to push a serpentine belt back into place with a broom handle. The thing I found the funniest though was the neighbor that kept walking by the house all day to watch what we were doing, and then had the audacity to ask if we could take a look at his truck the next day, as we seemed to have our hands full right at that moment.
We have this one older couple in our row of townhouses who look super :disgust: every time i'm outside working on something, whether it be our cars, cutting wood for a project, etc. It's interesting that people think it's such a spectacle. Maybe with broom sticks involved, it is.
Yeah, it's amusing and concerning that people don't seem to grasp what's going on, or are just so nosy they can't help themselves. But yes, with the broom stick trying to push the belt into place, I'm sure was a sight given all the other stuff going on at the same time. Working on the boat was always hilarious cause we were the only people in our little neighborhood that had one, so we got a lot of people driving by on those weekends wondering what the noise was.