Griff :plac: on nears full mast... Cayman review and other musings

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:19 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:48 am Well, I tracked the :poorvette: Saturday and now I'm even more :notsure: on selling it. The experience was excellent, the car was a beast and held up without any issue. All of the other guys in the novice class running with me were in Eurotrash cars and all of them were taking cool down laps, under the hood during breaks trying to find leaks, worrying about brakes crapping out. It really made me appreciate my car. I am on over one year old brake fluid, mostly just stock everything and the car was great fun and never felt made of glass. The only really shit thing was the damn seat. Wow. One of my sessions it just reclined suddenly and fell back against the wall behind the seats. It feels bad constantly.

I'm thinking that having the freedom of no car payments which could allow me to track whenever I want/have time, is a pretty nice situation.

I need to do some serious thinking in the short term. I'm definitely going to need new tires, I have to decide if I want to try to pursue a square setup or just some stock replacements if I'm going to sell the car.

:notsure:
That's the thing about this car...it's just such a beast in high performance environments. Anything you buy will be a downgrade unless you spend more than double what the :poorvette: is worth.

That said, keep in perspective how much you'll actually do track dayzz and if it's truly worth keeping a car for that purpose. I bought mine thinking I'd be at the track 6 times a year...when I've managed maybe 2 a year since I bought it. Still a fun thing to do when you can...I hope to get out more this year.

Didn't you just buy new tires?
The vette is an awesome car for sure, and a performance bargain. You pay for that in other ways though. I'd love to drive one someday. I can't imagine a whole lot of drawbacks to owning one in the burbs aside from large turning radius making parking lots a multi-point affair, or scraping the front end occasionally.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:48 am Well, I tracked the :poorvette: Saturday and now I'm even more :notsure: on selling it. The experience was excellent, the car was a beast and held up without any issue. All of the other guys in the novice class running with me were in Eurotrash cars and all of them were taking cool down laps, under the hood during breaks trying to find leaks, worrying about brakes crapping out. It really made me appreciate my car. I am on over one year old brake fluid, mostly just stock everything and the car was great fun and never felt made of glass. The only really shit thing was the damn seat. Wow. One of my sessions it just reclined suddenly and fell back against the wall behind the seats. It feels bad constantly.

I'm thinking that having the freedom of no car payments which could allow me to track whenever I want/have time, is a pretty nice situation.

I need to do some serious thinking in the short term. I'm definitely going to need new tires, I have to decide if I want to try to pursue a square setup or just some stock replacements if I'm going to sell the car.

I'd vote to keep the vette. Even if you buy another car and store it somewhere..... you never buy one as nice again. C5's are geeting to be b8er status
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:32 am

I'd vote to keep the vette. Even if you buy another car and store it somewhere..... you never buy one as nice again. C5's are geeting to be b8er status
Yeah. Can't touch the price / performance ratio doe. I'd say that makes them master b8er's.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:35 am

Yeah. Can't touch the price / performance ratio doe. I'd say that makes them master b8er's.
:wtf: is a b8er?

Damn. I'm a :wap:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:40 am

how the kids spell "beeter"
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

I have no idea either :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:42 am

O i c.

This is a good point, :doe: Kidzz are buying these in droves as cheap performance cars and ruining the hell out of them. It's entirely possible that in 5-10 years, clean examples will be few and far between. Keeping a C5 nice for a while might end up being a good move at some point.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:47 am

O i c.

This is a good point, :doe: Kidzz are buying these in droves as cheap performance cars and ruining the hell out of them. It's entirely possible that in 5-10 years, clean examples will be few and far between. Keeping a C5 nice for a while might end up being a good move at some point.
Fortunately, lot of seniors are way ahead of that.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

They were turning to shit back when I sold mine and good ones were hard to find even then. That was around 2013. Now the c6 is the new c5 though ...
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Daily'd 2 Vette's. One in Cali and one in FL. No issues. Low front end is a minor hassle. Great cars for daily fun. If you are happy Griff, fix it up and enjoy!!
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:13 pm

They were turning to shit back when I sold mine and good ones were hard to find even then. That was around 2013. Now the c6 is the new c5 though ...
Flip up lights are cool doe. I prefer the exterior of the C5 to the C6. Interior is Sunfire vs Cobalt so you ain't gonna win any awards there.
Johnny_P

Nobody got my joke? Anyone else reading b8r as "b"+"eight"+"er"? As in bater?
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:18 pm Nobody got my joke? Anyone else reading b8r as "b"+"eight"+"er"? As in bater?
I did. Just thought it was some youths thing I was missing out on.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:18 pm Nobody got my joke? Anyone else reading b8r as "b"+"eight"+"er"? As in bater?
I got it.
max225

I gots it too.
max225

wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:20 pm
I did. Just thought it was some youths thing I was missing out on.
:dat:

Same.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P

:gaydance:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

O i c.

Here in the country for old men, cherry C5's are abundant AF.....lots of 50 something women driving them too.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:18 pm
O i c.

Here in the country for old men, cherry C5's are abundant AF.....lots of 50 something women driving them too.
:manuel: :doe: ?

:manuel: are the most sought after, and also the most likely to be ragged to hell and back. Ain't nobody want a 4-speed auto :poorvette: regardless of how cherry it is.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:23 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:18 pm

:manuel: :doe: ?

:manuel: are the most sought after, and also the most likely to be ragged to hell and back. Ain't nobody want a 4-speed auto :poorvette: regardless of how cherry it is.
There are probably a fair number of autos in the mix for sure.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

The take rate on the automatics was 50%, basically same rate from C5-C7. :manuel: 's are not that rare. Also C5 is not rare at all, they sold 30k a year for 8 years.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:31 pm The take rate on the automatics was 50%, basically same rate from C5-C7. :manuel: 's are not that rare. Also C5 is not rare at all, they sold 30k a year for 8 years.
I thought the C5 had a higher auto mix? I rarely see really nice :manual: s for sale anymore.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:35 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:31 pm The take rate on the automatics was 50%, basically same rate from C5-C7. :manuel: 's are not that rare. Also C5 is not rare at all, they sold 30k a year for 8 years.
I thought the C5 had a higher auto mix? I rarely see really nice :manual: s for sale anymore.
See the beat to shit comment. They have been "affordable" for 10 years now. Tons of idiots have been ragging them for a while.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:36 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:35 pm
See the beat to shit comment. They have been "affordable" for 10 years now. Tons of idiots have been ragging them for a while.
Right. Which goes back to my original point that there aren't many nice :manuel: :poorvette: s left anymore.