Enter Dude's Latest Tire Kicking Sesh here

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:57 pm Dat payment game doe :hubba:
:dat: :facepalm:

Part of it was just wanting an STi, doe. After I test drove one I babbled on about it non-stop to my wife and car friends for 3 months.

Also part of it was having terrible dealer techs diagnosing a simple voltage problem from a prematurely failing battery and having the car leave me stranded 3 times. I had a great relationship with my service advisor so I kept going there after the carefree maintenance period was over and even after the warranty expired, but holy hell were the dealer technicians incompetent. After all of that I wanted nothing to do with that car anymore, but had I just taken it to an independent shop with actual experienced technicians, I wouldn't have had anywhere near the headache.

Our only debts were the house and the RDX we paid off just 3 months later, and leasing a new car was an easy way to get rid of car repair expenses without adding a significant monthly obligation while we were saving for the bathroom project. From a net worth perspective, leasing the STi was really stupid, but at the time it made all the sense in the world for short term cash flow reasons.

:iono: eh, oh well.
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:33 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:18 pm

S5
Weighs Same
Costs more
2 less doors
Less back seat space
:butwhy: go that route? makes no sense.

MK7... well maybe if you were to nitpick, but it would still be pretty much the same egg for the most part. It is not THAT different. Yes it is better but at least with the audi you'd gain a better interior+badge+something very different from what you already had for 6 years.
S5 would depreciate HARD. 0/7 would not recommend if purchasing new and resale is of any consideration.

Go used if possible (2013+). Great cars doe and pretty bulletproof.
This is why I am actually looking at them... a few used S5's with awesome specs are popping up in my price range.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

coogles wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:12 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:57 pm Dat payment game doe :hubba:
:dat: :facepalm:

Part of it was just wanting an STi, doe. After I test drove one I babbled on about it non-stop to my wife and car friends for 3 months.

Also part of it was having terrible dealer techs diagnosing a simple voltage problem from a prematurely failing battery and having the car leave me stranded 3 times. I had a great relationship with my service advisor so I kept going there after the carefree maintenance period was over and even after the warranty expired, but holy hell were the dealer technicians incompetent. After all of that I wanted nothing to do with that car anymore, but had I just taken it to an independent shop with actual experienced technicians, I wouldn't have had anywhere near the headache.

Our only debts were the house and the RDX we paid off just 3 months later, and leasing a new car was an easy way to get rid of car repair expenses without adding a significant monthly obligation while we were saving for the bathroom project. From a net worth perspective, leasing the STi was really stupid, but at the time it made all the sense in the world for short term cash flow reasons.

:iono: eh, oh well.
Cars cost a lot of money. Once you make peace with the fact that you're roughly paying $400-600 no matter what your "payment" is it becomes a lot easier to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

coogles wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:53 pm What I would do in your situation - and what I wish I'd done with my MK6 GTI once it was paid off - is start saving for what's next so I could pay cash.

The GTI only had 55k miles, but had a new clutch since it was replaced under the throwout bearing TSB, timing chain tensioner was done, and the valves were cleaned at 50k. But no, I bailed and turned $11,500 of equity into $3,000 in six months by leasing the STi. :wasteful:
Done and done :D
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:18 pm Cars cost a lot of money. Once you make peace with the fact that you're roughly paying $400-600 no matter what your "payment" is it becomes a lot easier to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
They don't have to. Having a paid off car far enough out on the depreciation curve that also stays reliable can cost very little. Nobody making $10/hr would be just as well off paying $400/mo on a lease as they are buying a 2002 Monte Carlo for $1,500 in cash and driving it until the shocks bust through the rusted rear shock towers.

Nobody on this forum is doing that, of course, but there's a middle ground too. At 6.5 years old my GTI wouldn't have depreciated any faster than maybe $1,000-$1,500/yr for the next couple years. $4,800 ($400/mo) - $1,500 of depreciation would have left $3,300 a year for repairs & such, which I don't think that car would have come anywhere near touching given all of the preventative maintenance and newer parts that were on it. Figure $2,500 in depreciation over the next 2 years, $2,000 in repairs and maintenance, I bet I could've been into that car for less than $200/mo had I kept it for another couple years.
max225

Don't forget repair+Maintenance. My fully depreciated crown vic costs around $400 a year in maintenance and $450 a year in repairs... and has for a long time. Tons of factors of course. But any decent car will be $300-400 in all in expenses. (5 years or newer, sub 100k miles, properly maintained)

The other option is to go super cheap and get a $2000 buick and drive it for 50k miles till the engine runs out of oil and rinse and repeat. as you mentioned.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Clownshoobie wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:56 pm Looks-n-sounds like R is in great shape. Keep, don't trade (especially for something else used): it's the devil you know and love. When you add to the stable, let it be something completely different. Despite being the most geezerly DFDist, my first impulse was something less practical than a sensible German or Japanese hatchback. S2000. Older Cayman S. MX-5. If that's not your cup of tea, the :truk: idea ain't bad.
I'm thinking :dat:

Here's why: adding a Subaru or another GTI/R to the stable gives you.... two of the same car, essentially. (I like Golfs more than Subies, but bear with me). You have an AWD sedan/hatch practical thing. If you want a new car simply because you want something new, but you also love and want to keep your R, why not go for something totally new and fun? I'm thinking of a Cayman myself right now, but an NC Miata would be cheap, reliable, comfortable-ish and efficient for the commute. It would also be a whole new type of fun you've never experienced. Then keep the R for skiing/when you need space. A C5/C6 'vette, 996 911 (this could get you AWD), S2000, any of these would be rad.

If this really isn't your cup of tea, I'd make three other suggestions:
-Just keep driving the R until the wheels fall off
-Trade it in for a MK7 R/GTI if you just want something newer/nicer but in the same style with the same things to offer
-Trade the R for a 997 911 AWD and daily the fuck out of it :micdrop:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I think trading it in for an S5 would be fine too, if you prefer that to a MK7, but I'd go used to save the epic depreciation, especially since you'll be piling on the miles. They are beautiful cars.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Thedude wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:30 pm
coogles wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:53 pm What I would do in your situation - and what I wish I'd done with my MK6 GTI once it was paid off - is start saving for what's next so I could pay cash.

The GTI only had 55k miles, but had a new clutch since it was replaced under the throwout bearing TSB, timing chain tensioner was done, and the valves were cleaned at 50k. But no, I bailed and turned $11,500 of equity into $3,000 in six months by leasing the STi. :wasteful:
Done and done :D
In that case, I'm with Griff on this one. Keep the R for the foreseeable future and get something totally different. S2000, ND MX-5, :poorvette:, :truk:, whatever floats your boat. By the time you need a replacement for the R, you'll have had enough time to save back up to eventually pay cash for that too.

Dat debt free life, the new American dream. :merica:
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:39 pm Don't forget repair+Maintenance. My fully depreciated crown vic costs around $400 a year in maintenance and $450 a year in repairs... and has for a long time. Tons of factors of course. But any decent car will be $300-400 in all in expenses. (5 years or newer, sub 100k miles, properly maintained)

The other option is to go super cheap and get a $2000 buick and drive it for 50k miles till the engine runs out of oil and rinse and repeat. as you mentioned.
ok... I'll entertain this idea... not as far as $2k cheap but what would be a sub-$15k beater worth looking for (while keeping the R)?
max225

Thedude wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:01 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:39 pm Don't forget repair+Maintenance. My fully depreciated crown vic costs around $400 a year in maintenance and $450 a year in repairs... and has for a long time. Tons of factors of course. But any decent car will be $300-400 in all in expenses. (5 years or newer, sub 100k miles, properly maintained)

ok... I'll entertain this idea... not as far as $2k cheap but what would be a sub-$15k beater worth looking for (while keeping the R)?
Anything GM with the 3800 engine, they are at the sweet spot of comfortable cruisers and epic reliability.
But in the end, it is up to your needs, since most of those cars simply look :disgust: and are not "fun" to drive.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Anything Lexus. Can be easily had under $15k and designed to last hundreds of thousands of miles. Personally a fan of the old IS300s.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

dubshow wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:41 pm Paid for car is good shit. Are you just bored with it?
Two paid for cars is also good shit. :troll:
coogles wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:58 pm In that case, I'm with Griff on this one. Keep the R for the foreseeable future and get something totally different. S2000, ND MX-5
I don't know you, but I like what you're sellin'.

Back to OP: what do you want in a car that the R doesn't do for you?
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

stripethree wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:42 pm
dubshow wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:41 pm Paid for car is good shit. Are you just bored with it?
Two paid for cars is also good shit. :troll:
coogles wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:58 pm In that case, I'm with Griff on this one. Keep the R for the foreseeable future and get something totally different. S2000, ND MX-5
I don't know you, but I like what you're sellin'.

Back to OP: what do you want in a car that the R doesn't do for you?
Well well well. We meat again.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

dubshow wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:48 pm Well well well. We meat again.
You sure are purdy.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:31 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:18 pm Cars cost a lot of money. Once you make peace with the fact that you're roughly paying $400-600 no matter what your "payment" is it becomes a lot easier to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
They don't have to. Having a paid off car far enough out on the depreciation curve that also stays reliable can cost very little. Nobody making $10/hr would be just as well off paying $400/mo on a lease as they are buying a 2002 Monte Carlo for $1,500 in cash and driving it until the shocks bust through the rusted rear shock towers.

Nobody on this forum is doing that, of course, but there's a middle ground too. At 6.5 years old my GTI wouldn't have depreciated any faster than maybe $1,000-$1,500/yr for the next couple years. $4,800 ($400/mo) - $1,500 of depreciation would have left $3,300 a year for repairs & such, which I don't think that car would have come anywhere near touching given all of the preventative maintenance and newer parts that were on it. Figure $2,500 in depreciation over the next 2 years, $2,000 in repairs and maintenance, I bet I could've been into that car for less than $200/mo had I kept it for another couple years.
The C5 has been kind of enlightening as to how cheap car ownershit can be. The key is really buying smart. Tons of things don't really depreciate much (C4/C5 Corvettes, some Porsche models, Honda S2000, Golf R) if bought at the right time. Maintenance and depreciation on my :poorvette: including tax/dealer rape fees has been $170/month.

The Dude drives a ton of miles :doe: , so I think something like a used S5 isn't a terrible choice, let the first owner eat the 60% depreciation, then understand that he'll take it to 150k and lose most of what he pays, it's still not a ton of money to enjoy a nice car for a while.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:09 pm

Anything Lexus. Can be easily had under $15k and designed to last hundreds of thousands of miles. Personally a fan of the old IS300s.
Oh great suggestion. I think those can be had for around $8k.

@TheDude, what exactly do you want the car to do? Fun to drive? Fuel efficient? Name your top several priorities in order.

Lexus certainly builds vehicles well and they can be had pretty cheap used.

Some initial thoughts under $15k that I like that would be reliable/fun:
Lexus IS
Infiniti G35/37
C5 Corvette
Honda S2000
Miata
Focus/Fiesta ST
Manual Cadillac ATS may be had for that?

Add in the Audis/BMW/Porsche Boxster if you don't mind a bit more maintenance.

If you just want something comfy/decent:
Ford Fusion
Honda Accord
Mazda 3/6
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Clownshoobie wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:56 pm Looks-n-sounds like R is in great shape. Keep, don't trade (especially for something else used): it's the devil you know and love. When you add to the stable, let it be something completely different. Despite being the most geezerly DFDist, my first impulse was something less practical than a sensible German or Japanese hatchback. S2000. Older Cayman S. MX-5. If that's not your cup of tea, the :truk: idea ain't bad.
There is something to be said about that for sure... very comfortable tinkering with it and all of it's quirks.
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

dubshow wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:38 pm dang, had no clue you have a car, much less a R.

Figured you just surfed a carpet around or got a limo ride.
Ha! Too funny!
:lolgasm:
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Why not a :jeep: ?
Nah, not bored with the car at all... well maybe a little but every time I get a rental or something and get back in the R it's a good feeling.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Thedude wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:13 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:33 pm

S5 would depreciate HARD. 0/7 would not recommend if purchasing new and resale is of any consideration.

Go used if possible (2013+). Great cars doe and pretty bulletproof.
This is why I am actually looking at them... a few used S5's with awesome specs are popping up in my price range.
Yep they're awesome on the used market.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:notsure:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

TT :iono:
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Bad news about the R... VW cannot get it to go straight. Alignment all green but car drifts to right. Not sure what the next step is...
wap

Thedude wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:06 pm Bad news about the R... VW cannot get it to go straight. Alignment all green but car drifts to right. Not sure what the next step is...
Tars?