:plac: Finds: Show us your automotive goldmines

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:21 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:33 am :unicorn:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... ode1=328XI

E91 manuel sport pack without nav. Xdrive doe, so not the rainbow-tipped unicorn.
Listed at $17k with 86k on the clock.
That's about 10k too high. This is almost a 2 gen old wagon. That has been quite "used up" I'd rather roll in a new Golf AllTrack for the same money and not deal with all these "old" BMW issues.
Good to see you avoided a lobotomy during exile.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:36 pm
max225 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:21 pm

That's about 10k too high. This is almost a 2 gen old wagon. That has been quite "used up" I'd rather roll in a new Golf AllTrack for the same money and not deal with all these "old" BMW issues.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/ ... 27962.html

This one has less miles and is "facelifted" for 12k still too high... but 1 owner :unicorn: bs

If you wanted a "wagon" why not just go X3 for 1/2 the price... does the exact same shit
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/ ... 47626.html
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:43 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:36 pm

This one has less miles and is "facelifted" for 12k still too high... but 1 owner :unicorn: bs

If you wanted a "wagon" why not just go X3 for 1/2 the price... does the exact same shit
That's a nice 328i. Shame the autos in these blow chunks because I really like the E90 series.

Manual sport pack E91 wagons are extremely rare in the US. As such they're overpriced on the used market. Is what it is. I like the wagon but I wouldn't spend a huge premium to get it over a sedan version of the same car.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:18 am
max225 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:43 pm

That's a nice 328i. Shame the autos in these blow chunks because I really like the E90 series.

Manual sport pack E91 wagons are extremely rare in the US. As such they're overpriced on the used market. Is what it is. I like the wagon but I wouldn't spend a huge premium to get it over a sedan version of the same car.
I could never understand the person that pays 3x for literarily the exact same car with a larger trunk. :fullretard: to me
Johnny_P

edit: nevermind
Johnny_P

max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:21 pm https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... elCode1=S5

Nice S5 for $29k. Only 40k on it.
40k miles for a euro car is 100k for any other vehicle....
That gen interior is getting increasingly dated now...
However 33k OTD for a warrantied german performance mobile is :notbad: as long as you're ok with it being a 10k car in 3 years once the warranty is done.
I :lol: at the BIENER name...
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:23 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:21 pm https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... elCode1=S5

Nice S5 for $29k. Only 40k on it.
However 33k OTD for a warrantied german performance mobile is :notbad: as long as you're ok with it being a 10k car in 3 years once the warranty is done.
:( I just think the S5 is a cool looking car with a rather large-ish engine and plenty of power. I have not looked into any common issues, repair costs, typical maintenance, etc on them. 182" is parkable, automatic is regarded as a really good one, supposedly quiet inside, supposedly rather good ride quality, standard AWD. Sounds rather ideal for me. The $10k comment is real though.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:33 pm

:( I just think the S5 is a cool looking car with a rather large-ish engine and plenty of power. I have not looked into any common issues, repair costs, typical maintenance, etc on them. 182" is parkable, automatic is regarded as a really good one, supposedly quiet inside, supposedly rather good ride quality, standard AWD. Sounds rather ideal for me. The $10k comment is real though.
The 3.0T is a VERY reliable engine by VW standards. I'd expect nothing but a set of coil packs and plugs by 150k miles. After that... :whocares: you'll be 100 years old when that'll happen.

The DSGAY is also fairly reliable...

Maintenance... well the Trans service very pricy... Oil changes are ... in line with everyone else... and filters you can DIY.

So not much else outside of that. So... the main issue is depreciation on that vehicle.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The back seat is a joke, FYI. It's really a two seater.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:36 pm

The 3.0T is a VERY reliable engine by VW standards. I'd expect nothing but a set of coil packs and plugs by 150k miles. After that... :whocares: you'll be 100 years old when that'll happen.

The DSGAY is also fairly reliable...

Maintenance... well the Trans service very pricy... Oil changes are ... in line with everyone else... and filters you can DIY.

So not much else outside of that. So... the main issue is depreciation on that vehicle.
So a quick googling reveals some common issues:
-Thermostats (let's all act surprised)
-Coil packs
-Water pumps
-PCV system
-A few sheared crank pulleys but looks to be on modded cars

The thermostat is a $50 part. Costs $1k to replace because the supercharger has to come out. #German So the forumbreh suggestions are to do WP/thermostat/coil packs/PCV together. At about 80k.

:rolleyes: Man I am so over prissy bullshit like this. I just want an appliance with a good engine and decent to drive and not a fucking barge.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:40 pm

The back seat is a joke, FYI. It's really a two seater.
That's fine. :doge: doesn't need much room.
Johnny_P

Also apparently carbon buildup on these motors is just as bad as the 2.0T :gay:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:10 pm Also apparently carbon buildup on these motors is just as bad as the 2.0T :gay:
:wat: Last I checked (about 1 year ago) it was pretty good at 60-90k miles when ppl pulled the superchargers to check on shit. Almost no build up...

Lets be honest here though... are you taking this thing to 200k miles? I think 0-100k miles will result in nearly no major issues.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:09 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:10 pm Also apparently carbon buildup on these motors is just as bad as the 2.0T :gay:
:wat: Last I checked (about 1 year ago) it was pretty good at 60-90k miles when ppl pulled the superchargers to check on shit. Almost no build up...

Lets be honest here though... are you taking this thing to 200k miles? I think 0-100k miles will result in nearly no major issues.
I do nothing but stop and go low speed driving. It's brutal on these DI motors in regards to carbon buildup.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:15 pm
max225 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:09 pm

I do nothing but stop and go low speed driving. It's brutal on these DI motors in regards to carbon buildup.
CPO model will give you 3-4 years of peace of mind.... after that :aintcare: it'll be the beginning of the end for car ownership for most... seems like a safe way to go. That amount of time is 10 plac lifetimes...
max225

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/ ... 10099.html

:unicorn:
2000 Z28 with all maintenance records to day 1 and only 62k miles for "only" 10k. :mindblown:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:38 pm https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/ ... 10099.html

2000 Z28 with all maintenance records to day 1 and only 62k miles for "only" 10k. :mindblown:
I helped a guy change the clutch in a car JUST like this last weekend in my dad's garage. I've always liked these catfish cars, and kind of want one after working on his car.

This...this is more tempting than it should be.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

The wood trim is cringe-worthy, but I still have a soft spot for these. Has an aftermarket boost gauge, doe. :notsure:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/ ... 00922.html
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:52 pm The wood trim is cringe-worthy, but I still have a soft spot for these. Has an aftermarket boost gauge, doe. :notsure:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/ ... 00922.html
Old volvos are hell to keep running
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:44 pm Old volvos are hell to keep running
I've only known two people with old Volvos, but both were bulletproof. Both are/were 850s, but non-tubo, my cousin's husband actually still has his. He bought it for ~$1,200 from a neighbor knowing it needed a timing belt. Took it to some Volvo whisperer working out of his barn who did the job for cheap and he's put exactly $0 into it otherwise outside of oil changes.
Last edited by coogles on Thu May 17, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:50 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:44 pm

Old volvos are hell to keep running
I've only known two people with old Volvos, but both were bulletproof.
GF had a 1st gen V70. Not only did that car have a lot of issues, they were hard to fix and expensive. Bah.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:44 pm
max225 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:38 pm https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/ ... 10099.html

I helped a guy change the clutch in a car JUST like this last weekend in my dad's garage. I've always liked these catfish cars, and kind of want one after working on his car.

Lemme know if you’re serious. I really think they will be/are classic at some point soon. As nearly all have been ragged to absolute shit
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:55 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:44 pm

Lemme know if you’re serious. I really think they will be/are classic at some point soon. As nearly all have been ragged to absolute shit
I've noticed values stabilizing on them and clean ones actually gaining in value. It's entirely possible that at some point it'll appreciate more than my C5.

Now that the bugs are ironed out, I should really see if I can sell the C5. I could pick this thing up for quite a bit less than I sell the C5 for and have a new project to play with...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:57 pm
max225 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:55 pm
I've noticed values stabilizing on them and clean ones actually gaining in value. It's entirely possible that at some point it'll appreciate more than my C5.

Now that the bugs are ironed out, I should really see if I can sell the C5. I could pick this thing up for quite a bit less than I sell the C5 for and have a new project to play with...
I'd keep something like that original :( I think that's the big draw for me with these cars. They are only original once. Later model F bodies were always my "highschool" dream cars... Sometimes I shock myself with my "redneck" ways, even though I wasn't even born in the best gd damn country on earth.