Truk Talk: Invest in Trukcoin!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:28 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:24 pm
When vehicles are developed, there's a core group of attributes that the engineering team chooses to work on to make the vehicle "the best". Because we all live in a world where finances aren't infinite, those items need to be chosen very carefully.

I shouldn't go into much more detail, but let's just say that the build quality and reliability of these trucks will be :mindblown: compared to Ferd and Ram. These things will last forever because they were specifically designed to. Also look at the plethora of powertrain options. Unfortunately, the interior obviously wasn't something too high on the list.
Relax, I'm not totally hating on it. Just agreeing with MT from a design standpoint.

Interiors on trucks are pretty far down my list of concerns as long as the controls work and are easily accessed and logically laid out. I liked the cheap interior of my Frontier because it simply worked. Just cheap to touch. Tons of storage, too - one thing the Frontier really nailed compared to the Colorado.

I like that Trail Boss, doe. But man are these big truks.
Oh, I'm agreeing with you. Just giving a bit of an inside look into vehicle development.

It's really tough to prioritize what's most important for a vehicle. Especially for trucks with the market changing toward normal people buying them and expecting things like fancy interiors, massive screens, and tech. The priorities are set 5 years before production, and a lot can change in the market in that time (like in this case).

My dad who works for a fastener supplier told me that he just started working on the 3rd redesign of the bolts that hold the calipers on the new Ram. A truck that's already well into its production. Changes like that at that stage would be :nuke: at GM or Ford.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Any of the big 3 trucks is great. I see nothing wrong with the chevy.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

The 5.3's are MK6 GTI fast. :impressive: god damn I love 'Murica trucks. They're big dick engined hot rods that can do absolutely anything.

Not a fan of the interior. Also.... why not use the 10AT across the board to simplify the assembly and reduce the number of parts / complexity / number of configurations?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:33 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:28 pm

Relax, I'm not totally hating on it. Just agreeing with MT from a design standpoint.

Interiors on trucks are pretty far down my list of concerns as long as the controls work and are easily accessed and logically laid out. I liked the cheap interior of my Frontier because it simply worked. Just cheap to touch. Tons of storage, too - one thing the Frontier really nailed compared to the Colorado.

I like that Trail Boss, doe. But man are these big truks.
Oh, I'm agreeing with you. Just giving a bit of an inside look into vehicle development.

It's really tough to prioritize what's most important for a vehicle. Especially for trucks with the market changing toward normal people buying them and expecting things like fancy interiors, massive screens, and tech. The priorities are set 5 years before production, and a lot can change in the market in that time (like in this case).

My dad who works for a fastener supplier told me that he just started working on the 3rd redesign of the bolts that hold the calipers on the new Ram. A truck that's already well into its production. Changes like that at that stage would be :nuke: at GM or Ford.
Your dad works? :notsure:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:35 pm Any of the big 3 trucks is great. I see nothing wrong with the chevy.
I think the new Ford F-150 is ugly AF. And you have LOST ME when you put an aluminum body and a twin turbro V6 on your truck and GM still gets better mileage with steel and a V-8 with it roots in the Pleistocene era.
Let's not even talk about reliability in 10 years.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:55 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:33 pm

He's VP of engineering at his company and part owner. He puts in 40 hours and that's about it these days. He's supposedly retiring on January 1.

:yeahok:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:57 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:35 pm Any of the big 3 trucks is great. I see nothing wrong with the chevy.
I think the new Ford F-150 is ugly AF. And you have LOST ME when you put an aluminum body and a twin turbro V6 on your truck and GM still gets better mileage with steel and a V-8 with it roots in the Pleistocene era.
:zing:
Johnny_P

Yeah I'm not on board with the new F150. I think they missed the mark but seems many people are looking past it and just seeing the ecoboom engine hype. The ones we have in the plant are NOT holding up well. The aluminum beds aren't rusting, thats a good thing, but they are denting and getting holes and rips in them.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:02 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:55 pm

He's VP of engineering at his company and part owner. He puts in 40 hours and that's about it these days. He's supposedly retiring on January 1.

:yeahok:
Got it.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:10 pm

Yeah I'm on on board with the new F150. I think they missed the mark but seems many people are looking past it and just seeing the ecoboom engine hype. The ones we have in the plant are NOT holding up well. The aluminum beds aren't rusting, thats a good thing, but they are denting and getting holes and rips in them.
Where things somehow went real sideways with Ferd is the lack of efficiency improvement with all the aluminum. It's got to cost a fortune compared to steel, which is driving their margins down, and most customers don't care about the material of parts if there's some performance benefit associated with the material choice.

Like Desert, I'd rather have steel and a V8, the way god intended in a pickup rather than turbros and aluminum if all else is equal.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:21 pm

Yeah I'm on on board with the new F150. I think they missed the mark but seems many people are looking past it and just seeing the ecoboom engine hype. The ones we have in the plant are NOT holding up well. The aluminum beds aren't rusting, thats a good thing, but they are denting and getting holes and rips in them.
Where things somehow went real sideways with Ferd is the lack of efficiency improvement with all the aluminum. It's got to cost a fortune compared to steel, which is driving their margins down, and most customers don't care about the material of parts if there's some performance benefit associated with the material choice.

Like Desert, I'd rather have steel and a V8, the way god intended in a pickup rather than turbros and aluminum if all else is equal.
I mean I don't personally see the issue using aluminum, it's a great material to use in salt states. I'm sure it costs them more, but maybe they are able to spend less in paint, or (and I'm 1,000% sure this factored in) spend less on rust warranty repairs on cabs and beds. The aluminum beds that are ripped or have holes in them are because someone ran into some stationary object or dropped something super heavy on it that they shouldn't have been using an F150 for anyway, stuff that flat out wouldn't happen outside an industrial facility. Any steel bed would have dented and started rusting so :iono: they're even to me.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

I parked next to one of these titanosaurs the other day. The roof of my :turboyaris: barely reached to it's side mirrors. :disgust:
As I backed out of my parking space I look over and see the Ecoboom badge. :yeahok: 5000 lbs of aluminum is still 5,000 lbs.
They're :fullretard: :ludacris: big.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P

My chariot for the day. This is a 2005 with 34k on it. I’m sure we are leasing it.

No AC, crank windows, radio only, no tach, and I especially like the rubber piece that’s been sheet metal screwed to the floor board. It knocks and has an exhaust leak.

World class leased trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:28 pm My chariot for the day. This is a 2005 with 34k on it. I’m sure we are leasing it.

No AC, crank windows, radio only, no tach, and I especially like the rubber piece that’s been sheet metal screwed to the floor board. It knocks and has an exhaust leak.

All for the low low price of $789/mo.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Yeah I'm not on board with the new F150. I think they missed the mark but seems many people are looking past it and just seeing the ecoboom engine hype. The ones we have in the plant are NOT holding up well. The aluminum beds aren't rusting, thats a good thing, but they are denting and getting holes and rips in them.
:impressive: , manual cites truck bed max payload not to exceed mall bags and their contents. Aluminum though, makes sense.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:28 pm My chariot for the day. This is a 2005 with 34k on it. I’m sure we are leasing it.

:jimp: Cherry brah, cherry.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

That's why no one is getting pay raises if that's how money is handled over there.

It doesn't look that bad for having been outside in what looks to be a stripmine for 13 years.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:disgust:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

I should take more pics. A few of the 2005 era F150 beds have rusted totally through, standing at the back, looking in the bed, you can see the axle and wheels :yikes: :thisisfine:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

I guess it's time to :plac: on :truk:

Probably getting a beater. ImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:10 am I guess it's time to :plac: on :truk:

Wow, that thing is seriously banged up.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

dubshow wrote:I guess it's time to :plac: on :truk:

Looks like you already have a beater? :thisisfine:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them