Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

SAWCE wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 1:00 pm Filled up last Sunday. Used a quarter of a tank commuting back and forth to work last week and dinking around town a bit. Wound up driving up to Lancaster yesterday to see my mom. That, plus driving around in town up here used the rest of the tank. Just filled up and calculated 19mpg for that tank :notbad: probably got a good 20mpg on the freeway up here yesterday doing 70 for the most part with a little traffic where there was some construction on the 5.
Spent 600 miles in a JKU Willy wonka. In miami I got a staggering 11mpg, on my way to the keys I got 20-22 mpg which was about as good as it gets. 40-60mph for 150 miles there and back.

Overall it is at most mid-teens for me if I was to drive it.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

max225 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:14 pm
SAWCE wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 1:00 pm Filled up last Sunday. Used a quarter of a tank commuting back and forth to work last week and dinking around town a bit. Wound up driving up to Lancaster yesterday to see my mom. That, plus driving around in town up here used the rest of the tank. Just filled up and calculated 19mpg for that tank :notbad: probably got a good 20mpg on the freeway up here yesterday doing 70 for the most part with a little traffic where there was some construction on the 5.
Spent 600 miles in a JKU Willy wonka. In miami I got a staggering 11mpg, on my way to the keys I got 20-22 mpg which was about as good as it gets. 40-60mph for 150 miles there and back.

About right.

We got about 17 MPG in the Hard Rock on trips to/from Arizona.

Also, :whalecum: back
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:17 pm

About right.

We got about 17 MPG in the Hard Rock on trips to/from Arizona.

Also, :whalecum: back
Thanks breh. :like:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Missed you, boo :wub: :gay:
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Welcome back. That red looked nice on the Willy.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:22 pm

Missed you, boo :wub: :gay:
:wub: likewise. :gaydance:
max225

SAWCE wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:25 pm

It had a whopping 1100 miles on it when I got it... pretty much brand new...
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:26 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:25 pm

It had a whopping 1100 miles on it when I got it... pretty much brand new...
:impressive:
max225

A bit of a rant on the JKU.... Note this was literally a DD review.

This was my second fairly long JK/U test.
A few interesting takeaways for me
Positives:
1.Even with the SWAMP (not mall) rated tires this thing was quiet. I still don't get who complains about wind/road noise in this vehicle it is perfectly acceptable.
2. The removable roof is epic even if you just do the front it is still great and provides a great open air experience
3. LED lights are excellent
4. Steering/ride quality are fine, don't get the complaints here, it is a tall SUV with giant tires, it is amazing how great it handles considering all that
5. Seats are very comfortable
6. It feels special in its utter simplicity, everything is replaceable for not much money and nothing costs an arm and a leg. Powertrain is proven etc. Fucking up a bumper etc is a super simple lego like replacement which literally is NOT available on any other vehicle on the market today.
7. Quality is good, paint all the interior plastics etc are very durable pieces, they make look cheapish but you can tell they will last longer than your interest in the vehicle
8. The size makes it a perfect vehicle for 4 ppl and or two ppl and crotchfruit

Negatives including some things that didn't bother me prior.
1. This thing feels BIG, it is roughly the same size as my 3 series, but every turn is a 3 point turn in tighter spaces, the lack of power really accentuates the size.
2. See above turning radius is atrocious
3. Brakes... well this is a given but you get "used" to it (fixed on JLU)
4. SLOWNESS, ok this was surprising, as this is the 4th JKU I have driven and the first one with 3.73s. I really hated the lack of low end power. This thing is an absolute pig below 3000rpm, you basically have to wind it out to keep up with traffic and you're rewarded with a harsh and :disgust: engine note. On paper it is supposed to go 0-60 in around 7, but boy does it feel slower than that during normal driving. (fixed on JLU mostly)
5. Brick like Aero really taxes the engine at speed, and generally going above 75 just feels :wrong: with excessive windnoise near single digit mpg and a screaming engine. On the flipside you likely won't ever get speeding tickets.
6. Not a huge fan of the swing out rear door, as it makes loading the trunk more of a chore than the average vehicle since you have to operate the glass+door to load most items.
7. Base stereo is absolute garbage even with the "8 speakers" that sound like 1.5 (fixed on JLU or with stereo upgrade)

The diesel powered JLU will be epic even though it'll lick 60k

All that said it is still a wonderful vehicle. As with almost anything plenty of ups and down but the "jeep special sauce" is truly wonderful. There simply aren't other vehicles with this much character on the market today. See nissan rogue/rav 4 :disgust: I really would love to have one at some point in the future. My local :dillerman: is throwing 4000-5000 on the hoods already of new "JLUs" however we're at $4 a gallon now... and likely only going to get more expensive from here. The 15mpg makes it a really tough selling point. :plac:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:22 pm A bit of a rant on the JKU.... Note this was literally a DD review.

Positives:
1.Even with the SWAMP (not mall) rated tires this thing was quiet. I still don't get who complains about wind/road noise in this vehicle it is perfectly acceptable.
2. The removable roof is epic even if you just do the front it is still great and provides a great open air experience
4. Steering/ride quality are fine, don't get the complaints here, it is a tall SUV with giant tires, it is amazing how great it handles considering all that
6. It feels special in its utter simplicity, everything is replaceable for not much money and nothing costs an arm and a leg. Powertrain is proven etc. Fucking up a bumper etc is a super simple lego like replacement which literally is NOT available on any other vehicle on the market today.
7. Quality is good, paint all the interior plastics etc are very durable pieces, they make look cheapish but you can tell they will last longer than your interest in the vehicle

1. This thing feels BIG, it is roughly the same size as my 3 series, but every turn is a 3 point turn in tighter spaces, the lack of power really accentuates the size.
4. SLOWNESS, ok this was surprising, as this is the 4th JKU I have driven and the first one with 3.73s. I really hated the lack of low end power. This thing is an absolute pig below 3000rpm, you basically have to wind it out to keep up with traffic and you're rewarded with a harsh and :disgust: engine note. On paper it is supposed to go 0-60 in around 7, but boy does it feel slower than that during normal driving. (fixed on JLU mostly)
5. Brick like Aero really taxes the engine at speed, and generally going above 75 just feels :wrong: with excessive windnoise near single digit mpg and a screaming engine. On the flipside you likely won't ever get speeding tickets.
6. Not a huge fan of the swing out rear door, as it makes loading the trunk more of a chore than the average vehicle since you have to operate the glass+door to load most items.
7. Base stereo is absolute garbage even with the "8 speakers" that sound like 1.5 (fixed on JLU or with stereo upgrade)

All that said it is still a wonderful vehicle. As with almost anything plenty of ups and down but the "jeep special sauce" is truly wonderful. There simply aren't other vehicles with this much character on the market today. See nissan rogue/rav 4 :disgust: I really would love to have one at some point in the future. My local :dillerman: is throwing 4000-5000 on the hoods already of new "JLUs" however we're at $4 a gallon now... and likely only going to get more expensive from here. The 15mpg makes it a really tough selling point. :plac:
The Alpine system on my JKU was good.

The only time my JKU was loud was the one time I forgot to rotate the tires and they were cupping. The tires on the Rubicons will cup fast if you don't rotate them every 3000 miles or so and they get LOUD and are technically ruined at that point if you can't deal with the noise.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:32 pm
max225 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:22 pm A bit of a rant on the JKU.... Note this was literally a DD review.

Positives:

The only time my JKU was loud was the one time I forgot to rotate the tires and they were cupping. The tires on the Rubicons will cup fast if you don't rotate them every 3000 miles or so and they get LOUD and are technically ruined at that point if you can't deal with the noise.
Yep Alpine was very decent when I used it on the JLU.

wow that's some really "agressive" tire rotation schedule. 3k miles? :wtf:

How long do the tires last on it?

This thing had BF Goodrich Mud-Terrains
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:38 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:32 pm

Tires were good for 15-20K miles if you rotate them out. The alignment was spot on, but the fronts would wear fast if you went too long between rotations.

I didn't know this on my first set and ruined them by 5k miles. Bought another set and followed the rotation schedule and they lasted a little more than 15K when I replaced them (could have probably got another few thousand out of them, but whatever).
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:42 pm
max225 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:38 pm

Tires were good for 15-20K miles if you rotate them out. The alignment was spot on, but the fronts would wear fast if you went too long between rotations.

I didn't know this on my first set and ruined them by 5k miles. Bought another set and followed the rotation schedule and they lasted a little more than 15K when I replaced them (could have probably got another few thousand out of them, but whatever).
I don't think you can "align" solid axle cars can you? Outside of keeping the wheel straight, there is no camber to fuck with.

15k seems rather crazy for a set of tires, hell my rubber bands on the m3 last a bit longer.... with all that thread you'd think it would be 50-70k for a set.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:46 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:42 pm

I don't think you can "align" solid axle cars can you? Outside of keeping the wheel straight, there is no camber to fuck with.

15k seems rather crazy for a set of tires, hell my rubber bands on the m3 last a bit longer.... with all that thread you'd think it would be 50-70k for a set.
I mean that the thing drove straight and when I asked the dealer when it was in for the radiator they confirmed everything was good. I read online prior to that about needing to rotate the aggressive tires, so I had started doing it after I bought the replacements.

The worn tires would howl on the freeway like you wouldn't believe and were decently loud at 40 mph.
SAWCE

I did my BF Goodrich M/T tires when I hit 5k. They seem good so far.

I really wish I’d gotten the alpine option in mine. Stereo is for sure one of the things I’ll update in the Jeep one day.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 5:16 pm I did my BF Goodrich M/T tires when I hit 5k. They seem good so far.

I really wish I’d gotten the alpine option in mine. Stereo is for sure one of the things I’ll update in the Jeep one day.
The main issue is what happens when you turn up the bass past 5, and volume past... 20 IIRC. The speakers literally sound like they are about to blow out.... and that's only at 1/3 volume.
Thankfully the aftermarket is epic on these so.... it is an easy although not relatively cheap fix.

I actually really liked the poverty spec headunit. No frills and all the info you need. I wonder if it is possible to just keep it and add a small amp/speakers/hiddensub
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 6:06 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 5:16 pm I did my BF Goodrich M/T tires when I hit 5k. They seem good so far.

The main issue is what happens when you turn up the bass past 5, and volume past... 20 IIRC. The speakers literally sound like they are about to blow out.... and that's only at 1/3 volume.
Thankfully the aftermarket is epic on these so.... it is an easy although not relatively cheap fix.

I actually really liked the poverty spec headunit. No frills and all the info you need. I wonder if it is possible to just keep it and add a small amp/speakers/hiddensub
Yeah.. I keep mine around 20, but I have the bass dialed back to like -2 and they still sound junky. I don't even listen to bass heavy music..

I don't love the base level radio, but the next level up, 530 vs 510 looks decent. I may try to find one of those on a forum and then add a small amp/sub/speakers.
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

I was considering grabbing a jeep so the stable could be fully rounded. Bike, Miata, Jeep.

But the damn thing cant tow any weight. Why is the tow rating so damn low?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Barnes93cb wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:24 pm I was considering grabbing a jeep so the stable could be fully rounded. Bike, Miata, Jeep.

Yeah, that's my only issue with it, the 3500 pound weight limit.

I think this is what you get when you have an already pretty heavy vehicle that has so damned much suspension travel for off-roading...
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:30 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:24 pm I was considering grabbing a jeep so the stable could be fully rounded. Bike, Miata, Jeep.

I think this is what you get when you have an already pretty heavy vehicle that has so damned much suspension travel for off-roading...
:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

*bites lip

:jimp:
Barnes93cb
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Im gonna need Jeep to build something a bit stronger for towing.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Barnes93cb wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 10:42 am

Im gonna need Jeep to build something a bit stronger for towing.
Grand Cherokee is your ticket if you need towing capacity from Jeep.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 10:13 am Image

*bites lip

Yes I hate red but I actually think it looks great on a Jeep with all those black accents
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:21 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 10:13 am Image

*bites lip

Yes I hate red but I actually think it looks great on a Jeep with all those black accents
TIL Max is colorblind.. This is orange, homey.