Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:16 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:59 pm You mean increased production = increased sales?

:mindblown: :math:
Well it is amazing how MUCH MORE they were able to move... I don't think they were that production capped... WHO TF are all these jeep buyers... The ASP is around 37-40k on the old one and 45k on the new one... :impressive:
They have a new plant (well, new for Wrangler) so production is way higher than it's been before. I'm sure they have incentives piled on the old ones to help move them, so I'd expect YOY comparisons to be down next year.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:08 pm

Well it is amazing how MUCH MORE they were able to move... I don't think they were that production capped... WHO TF are all these jeep buyers... The ASP is around 37-40k on the old one and 45k on the new one... :impressive:
They have a new plant (well, new for Wrangler) so production is way higher than it's been before. I'm sure they have incentives piled on the old ones to help move them, so I'd expect YOY comparisons to be down next year.
They may... but at this point they'll have the Scrambler.... and a full 500k unit capacity at the plant... :mindblown:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Oh I didn't realize the plant was new as well. Yeah I'd wait a year or more for sure.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:10 pm
They may... but at this point they'll have the Scrambler.... and a full 500k unit capacity at the plant... :mindblown:
I've heard that the Scrambler is only forecast for like 30k units annually or something.

But yea, that capacity is insane. I don't know how residuals will survive that much volume.

:thisisfine:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:12 pm
Oh I didn't realize the plant was new as well. Yeah I'd wait a year or more for sure.
It's not a "new" plant, just new for Wrangler. They moved Cherokee out of Toledo and replaced it with Wrangler there. It's actually where they're building the new one, the old one is still in the "old" plant. Pretty brilliant build-out plan, TBH.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:14 pm

It's not a "new" plant, just new for Wrangler. They moved Cherokee out of Toledo and replaced it with Wrangler there. It's actually where they're building the new one, the old one is still in the "old" plant. Pretty brilliant build-out plan, TBH.
It's a new chassis to all the people and machines in that plant. Good idea overall for them, just means it's going to have little build quality issues until they get all the stuff sorted out and people familiar with building ox carts instead of modern vehicles.
max225

:dat: New JL is built where the cherokee used to be built. As of 3/31 they stopped making the JK and are now converting it to make the scrambler :truk: by october.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:17 pm
It's a new chassis to all the people and machines in that plant. Good idea overall for them, just means it's going to have little build quality issues until they get all the stuff sorted out and people familiar with building ox carts instead of modern vehicles.
So far the new one hasn't had anything catastrophic yet. Quality seems to be quite good. A few random issues on the forum but overall :notbad: at all.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:20 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:17 pm

So far the new one hasn't had anything catastrophic yet. Quality seems to be quite good. A few random issues on the forum but overall :notbad: at all.
That's really good to hear. FCA needs a home run with this vehicle.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:21 pm

:dat:

It shouldn't be that complex, TBH. The electrical bits are the most concerning, but I feel like they had to have figured those out well in advance of production. Nothing is :mindblown: unique on it.
max225

Pretty sure they have it...
They haven't even started building the TWO DOOR yet.
Only limited # of colors etc
And yet... they are full on :troywax: 'ing
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:24 pm

:dat:

It shouldn't be that complex, TBH. The electrical bits are the most concerning, but I feel like they had to have figured those out well in advance of production. Nothing is :mindblown: unique on it.
:dat: when you look at the vehicles side by side etc... it seems REALLY similar to the old one. Even hard to tell em apart. A lot fo the "electronics" are straight up partsbin. The dash/jewconnect etc are all shared with other FCA vehicles with just some :jeep: graphics.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

max225

dtraill27 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:14 pm
:notsure: I didn't think sold 2 door JLs yet...
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:26 pm
dtraill27 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:14 pm
Not yet. He's the guy from Winding Road youtube channel. He typically gets press loaners.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:59 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:26 pm

Not yet. He's the guy from Winding Road youtube channel. He typically gets press loaners.
Last time that happened I saw a sport with a 8.4 Jewconnect + various other sahara bits, a combo you couldn't get period.

I'd wait to see the final units hit the :dillerman: damn that two door roll out is taking forever... they started building the JLU in NOVEMBER
Johnny_P

I really want to like the JLU. Priced some out on :doge: website:

Sport S poverty model - $41,550
-Automatic
-Hard top with headliner
-Uconnect 7"
-Alpine stereo

Rubicon - $47,555
-Automatic
-Hard top with headliner
-Uconnect 8" with nav (was only $300 more than base poverty radio as an infotainment package?)
-Alpine stereo

Man these things are stupid expensive anymore :sad:
Neither of these +$40k vehicles have seat heaters or acceptable headlights either.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:27 pm I really want to like the JLU. Priced some out on :doge: website:

-Automatic
-Hard top with headliner
-Uconnect 7"
-Alpine stereo

Rubicon - $47,555
-Automatic
-Hard top with headliner
-Uconnect 8" with nav (was only $300 more than base poverty radio as an infotainment package?)
-Alpine stereo

Neither of these +$40k vehicles have seat heaters or acceptable headlights either.
Rubi doesn't come with LEDs?
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:29 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:27 pm I really want to like the JLU. Priced some out on :doge: website:

-Automatic
-Hard top with headliner
-Uconnect 7"
-Alpine stereo

Rubicon - $47,555
-Automatic
-Hard top with headliner
-Alpine stereo

$900 extra
ChrisoftheNorth

It's insane how expensive Wranglers got...and continue to sell for. Won't last, :doe:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:32 pm
Apex wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:29 pm

$900 extra
:disappoint:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:39 pm It's insane how expensive Wranglers got...and continue to sell for. Won't last, :doe:
thats why I can :plac: mine. Well, i NEED to :plac: mine.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:39 pm It's insane how expensive Wranglers got...and continue to sell for. Won't last, :doe:
They MSRP creep every year.

A 2018 JK just like my 2015 was $3400 more expensive with no actual updates, just model year increments. This kept my value up. I only "lost" about $6k in in depreciation in 3 years and just under 30k miles.
Johnny_P

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:48 pm
They MSRP creep every year.

A 2018 JK just like my 2015 was $3400 more expensive with no actual updates, just model year increments. This kept my value up. I only "lost" about $6k in in depreciation in 3 years and just under 30k miles.
That is :impressive: lack of depreciation.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Filled up last Sunday. Used a quarter of a tank commuting back and forth to work last week and dinking around town a bit. Wound up driving up to Lancaster yesterday to see my mom. That, plus driving around in town up here used the rest of the tank. Just filled up and calculated 19mpg for that tank :notbad: probably got a good 20mpg on the freeway up here yesterday doing 70 for the most part with a little traffic where there was some construction on the 5.