Anyone been to Yosemite?

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Hey guys,

I am looking at taking a trip to Yosemite the weekend of March 24th. The plan would be fly down from Seattle to Sacramento, rent a fun car (370Z) on Turo, drive over, hike and chill in the woods by myself for a few days. The flight/hotel would be free thanks to :companycard: . I'd be on the hook $200ish for the Z, gas, and food, so a total of under $400 for the trip.

Question:

My reservation is the weather. Will it be too snowy to get in and see anything cool? If so, I could just head back to NC for the weekend and hang with friends (my gf will be at a bachelorette party). I've never seen Yosemite though, and I'd like too. :notsure:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I can't speak for the snow levels, but I've been.

:edit:

:derp:

I confused Yosemite for Yellowstone.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Don’t know about weather but if it’s gonna be habitable at all I would go. My buddy camped and fished there a few years ago and it looked awesome.
:therapist:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

We did something roughly similar a couple decades ago. Visited friends in Berkeley then rented a car and drove out to Yosemite. It was also spring time and fwiw several roads were washed out due to winter snow melt runoff. Still saw a fair amount, the giant sequoias, did a bit of hiking, :dock: in the woods, etc, but we did miss some stuff, too. Things may be different now :doe: , maybe they didn't get a lot of snow this winter :iono:

ymmv, etc.

Sounds like a 5/7 trip, :doe:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:16 am Hey guys,

I am looking at taking a trip to Yosemite the weekend of March 24th. The plan would be fly down from Seattle to Sacramento, rent a fun car (370Z) on Turo, drive over, hike and chill in the woods by myself for a few days. The flight/hotel would be free thanks to :companycard: . I'd be on the hook $200ish for the Z, gas, and food, so a total of under $400 for the trip.

Question:

My reservation is the weather. Will it be too snowy to get in and see anything cool? If so, I could just head back to NC for the weekend and hang with friends (my gf will be at a bachelorette party). I've never seen Yosemite though, and I'd like too. :notsure:
Not sure how a rear drive sports car and a late March trip to Yosemite is not a giant gamble but who you may win? :iono: I'd rent a truk if you want to get where you are going for sure. Yosemite valley floor is 4K feet but the Sierra is a fickle bitch. Where are you planning on staying?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Question:

I went in April two years ago, and there was zero snow on the ground of the basic hikes that we did. I think you'll be okay to do some fun day hiking.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Result of one of the hikes. One of my favorite pictures I’ve ever taken.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote:

Question:

Not sure how a rear drive sports car and a late March trip to Yosemite is not a giant gamble but who you may win? :iono: I'd rent a truk if you want to get where you are going for sure. Yosemite valley floor is 4K feet but the Sierra is a fickle bitch. Where are you planning on staying?
Ended up booking the flight. Borrowing tire chains and toting them across the US on a plane...

:notsure: on the 370Z, might get something else, maybe a Johnny :wasteful: CUV special.

I currently have a room booked in Oakhurst, CA. I may keep looking though and change that.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:57 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
Ended up booking the flight. Borrowing tire chains and toting them across the US on a plane...

:notsure: on the 370Z, might get something else, maybe a Johnny :wasteful: CUV special.

I currently have a room booked in Oakhurst, CA. I may keep looking though and change that.
:dafuq:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

SAWCE wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:47 pm Image
Result of one of the hikes. One of my favorite pictures I’ve ever taken.
That's awesome.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:01 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:57 pm

:scrooge: :doe:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I’d rent a cuv or Jeep but I’m not an enthusiast.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote:
D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:57 pm Ended up booking the flight. Borrowing tire chains and toting them across the US on a plane...

Availability is limited... Also not blowing $1k on a hotel for just me when I can drive a little more and stay for literally $20 with my hotel points.

Right now I have a Corolla reserved from a rental agency. I'm looking at a 370Z, 328ix, 500 Abarf, Civic Si on Turo depending on weather. I don't really want to do the CUV thing, might just get the Fiat, I'll have tire chains anyway if I need them.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Melon wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:34 am I can't speak for the snow levels, but I've been.

:edit:

:derp:

I confused Yosemite for Yellowstone.
Clownshoobie
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Clownshoe

Yosemite is the jewel of the planet. Period. No disappoint.

Your timing is a little early, however. There are a number of attractions in Yosemite, and it's too early in the year to see most of them. The main valley will be open, and the roads clear. That is the glammiest and most jarring of the vistas, and offers tons of hiking. If you get 200 meters off of the paved walkways, you'll not see a soul. I've come across huge bears tearing into stumps 10 minutes away from the paved junior varsity trails. The problem is, Yosemite is so much more. The Mariposa grove of big trees in the south will be hard to access: the road over the mountain will be closed in March--it typically opens at the end of April. If you haven't spent time taking in Sequoias, you shouldn't miss it. You also won't be able to access Tuolumne meadows, the high-altitude mountain valley to the north, which is a stunner as well.

If you can delay the visit to mid-May (when everything is opened, accessible, and in bloom), you'll see everything and be there before the throngs of slack-jawed yokels clog up the park.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Clownshoobie wrote:Yosemite is the jewel of the planet. Period. No disappoint.

Your timing is a little early, however. There are a number of attractions in Yosemite, and it's too early in the year to see most of them. The main valley will be open, and the roads clear. That is the glammiest and most jarring of the vistas, and offers tons of hiking. If you get 200 meters off of the paved walkways, you'll not see a soul. I've come across huge bears tearing into stumps 10 minutes away from the paved junior varsity trails. The problem is, Yosemite is so much more. The Mariposa grove of big trees in the south will be hard to access: the road over the mountain will be closed in March--it typically opens at the end of April. If you haven't spent time taking in Sequoias, you shouldn't miss it. You also won't be able to access Tuolumne meadows, the high-altitude mountain valley to the north, which is a stunner as well.

If you can delay the visit to mid-May (when everything is opened, accessible, and in bloom), you'll see everything and be there before the throngs of slack-jawed yokels clog up the park.
Thanks for the tips, man!

This is certainly the wrong time to go, but it's essentially an easy and free opportunity, knowing I won't be able to see everything due to weather and season. I'm sure I'll return back eventually, hopefully sooner than later.
Clownshoobie
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Clownshoe

^Any time is more than worth it^
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Question:

Hey boo, why you never reach out to me? Weather has been really odd here lately, things are cold and rainy, which means snow in higher elevations over there. The drive should be fine doe, as most of the "valley" is located low. You won't be able to access a fair amount of the park due to higher elevations :doe:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:13 pm

Question:

not to mention high altitude for robbing 25% of the powahhh from NA motors. I believe turbo would be a better bet for that alone.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote:

Question:

Hey boo, why you never reach out to me? Weather has been really odd here lately, things are cold and rainy, which means snow in higher elevations over there. The drive should be fine doe, as most of the "valley" is located low. You won't be able to access a fair amount of the park due to higher elevations :doe:
The one time we were snapchatting about a :dock: session was when my POS :truk: broke down and I didn't feel like venturing out after that ordeal.

I'll hit you up next time I'm around.

Thanks for the useful info. You think the Z car will be fine then? I'd really like to try it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:13 pm Not sure how a rear drive sports car and a late March trip to Yosemite is not a giant gamble but who you may win? :iono: I'd rent a truk if you want to get where you are going for sure. Yosemite valley floor is 4K feet but the Sierra is a fickle bitch. Where are you planning on staying?
not to mention high altitude for robbing 25% of the powahhh from NA motors. I believe turbo would be a better bet for that alone.
Even down some powah a 370 should be way quicker than an Abarf :lolol:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:45 pm
max225 wrote:
The one time we were snapchatting about a :dock: session was when my POS :truk: broke down and I didn't feel like venturing out after that ordeal.

Thanks for the useful info. You think the Z car will be fine then? I'd really like to try it.
I :member:

370z should be ok. I’ll be checking on the weather, it should warm up a bit by then. As I mentioned you can’t do high elevation stuff which is beautiful.
The Valley has a bunch of guadalupes bbqing :disgust: but you gotta venture out a bit further to really enjoy it. The drive is fun especially in a sporty car but road noise may get to you... also how much are you packing and does it have a sport package?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote:
D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:45 pm The one time we were snapchatting about a :dock: session was when my POS :truk: broke down and I didn't feel like venturing out after that ordeal.

I :member:

370z should be ok. I’ll be checking on the weather, it should warm up a bit by then. As I mentioned you can’t do high elevation stuff which is beautiful.
The Valley has a bunch of guadalupes bbqing :disgust: but you gotta venture out a bit further to really enjoy it. The drive is fun especially in a sporty car but road noise may get to you... also how much are you packing and does it have a sport package?
It's just me solo, suitcase and backpack. I don't think it has the sport pack, it's not mentioned in the ad. It's a manual :doe:

I wish I was going in the summer and I'm sure I'll be back, but this was a good opportunity to at least see it, so I'm going to do that.

Right now, the weather is still looking snowy.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote:
MexicanYarisTK wrote: not to mention high altitude for robbing 25% of the powahhh from NA motors. I believe turbo would be a better bet for that alone.
Even down some powah a 370 should be way quicker than an Abarf :lolol:
I didn’t even think about the abarf when i mentioned turbo cars. :lolol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Went ahead and went :balls: deep and lined up the 370Z. :aintcare: