Kamry XSE impressions and further updates

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:36 am Doesn't your car have regenerative braking? I thought that was a thing on all F30's?
:triggered: I have an F80 now...

I think in this particular vehicle it is partially due to the dct, it provides quite a bit of engine braking. My 335 said 80k miles for brakes ... then again these are bigger and the car is slightly lighter
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:07 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:36 am Doesn't your car have regenerative braking? I thought that was a thing on all F30's?

I think in this particular vehicle it is partially due to the dct, it provides quite a bit of engine braking. My 335 said 80k miles for brakes ... then again these are bigger and the car is slightly lighter
That engine braking might well be regen, bro. I thought I read that all BMW's got regen starting with F30.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:26 am
max225 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:07 am

That engine braking might well be regen, bro. I thought I read that all BMW's got regen starting with F30.
There is a small motor integrated in the hubs that charges the battery once you hit the brakes, but it is no where near actual “regen braking”. This car has shitty non linear braking thanks to the dct. My F30 did not. The 8 speed is far smoother
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:29 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:26 am
There is a small motor integrated in the hubs that charges the battery once you hit the brakes, but it is no where near actual “regen braking”. This car has shitty non linear braking thanks to the dct. My F30 did not. The 8 speed is far smoother
That's saving your brake pads considerably, :doe:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:31 am
max225 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:29 am

If that’s the reason that’s pretty awesome. Seamless tech that extends pad life
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:34 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:31 am
It's brilliant, IMO. Think about how much energy is wasted in braking. From what I understand, during braking, BMW's "disconnect" the alternator so there's zero drag on the engine (improving efficiency) and uses the power coming from the "brakes" to charge the battery instead. It's a little thing, but pretty clever. Saves wear and tear on brake components and is more efficient. Adds complexity, but :notsure: how much.

I notice the impacts of regen driving the Volt. It's amazing how long the range can go in stop and go traffic. Put it in heavy regen mode, and you can drive in traffic without taking your foot off the go-pedal. When I need to press the brake, I sometimes will take a look at the power meter and notice the regen CRANKED. The wheels on the Volt look brand new and I've never even washed them. The vast majority of braking is regen and you can't even tell, and applying that to gas powered cars like BMW has is pretty clever.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:40 am
max225 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:34 am

It's brilliant, IMO. Think about how much energy is wasted in braking. From what I understand, during braking, BMW's "disconnect" the alternator so there's zero drag on the engine (improving efficiency) and uses the power coming from the "brakes" to charge the battery instead. It's a little thing, but pretty clever. Saves wear and tear on brake components and is more efficient. Adds complexity, but :notsure: how much.

I notice the impacts of regen driving the Volt. It's amazing how long the range can go in stop and go traffic. Put it in heavy regen mode, and you can drive in traffic without taking your foot off the go-pedal. When I need to press the brake, I sometimes will take a look at the power meter and notice the regen CRANKED. The wheels on the Volt look brand new and I've never even washed them. The vast majority of braking is regen and you can't even tell, and applying that to gas powered cars like BMW has is pretty clever.
Yep the Mazda’s have a similar system. And I think it’s coming to FCA cars with the alternator being a motor generator unit.

Regen or KERS is fantastic tech.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:15 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:40 am

Yep the Mazda’s have a similar system. And I think it’s coming to FCA cars with the alternator being a motor generator unit.

The FCA alternator one is really interesting. Effectively a belt-driven electric motor that just assists the engine on take-off. :notbad: execution for a super mild hybrid.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:20 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:15 pm

The FCA alternator one is really interesting. Effectively a belt-driven electric motor that just assists the engine on take-off. :notbad: execution for a super mild hybrid.
:dat:

I'm surprised at how slowly this sort of tech is creeping in to mainstream cars though. Maybe the fuel saving return just isn't good enough for the extra cost of batteries or capacitors or whatever else is needed to support it.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:33 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:20 pm

I'm surprised at how slowly this sort of tech is creeping in to mainstream cars though. Maybe the fuel saving return just isn't good enough for the extra cost of batteries or capacitors or whatever else is needed to support it.
Cost breh... :iono: too expensive to engineer into a vehicle with a $500-1500 profit margin.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:43 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:33 pm

Cost breh... :iono: too expensive to engineer into a vehicle with a $500-1500 profit margin.
Especially since the fuel economy impact is minimal. Now, every little bit counts, especially when you want to sell 300k bricks per year.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:47 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:43 pm
Especially since the fuel economy impact is minimal. Now, every little bit counts, especially when you want to sell 300k bricks per year.
Right, when you volume seller is the size of a children's playground on wheels if you can eke out 1 MPG better your CAFE stress will be eased quite a bit.
max225

Front left

Front right

Alignment gurus could you please chime in, it looks like my car is wearing both inside and outside edges.

One would think that means the tire pressure is too low but it is correct 31psi vs 32 required.

Car tracks 100%. Straight... I don’t want to get a BS excuse from a tire shop or a swindle from the :dillerman: for a $299 alignment.

Any insights as to what type of adjustment the car would need ? Or is this “normal”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Could be toe wear on the inside and normal wear from hard cornering on the outside. Hard to say without measuring it. That being said, cranking them up to 36 psi will slow that wear down in the meantime.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:33 pm Could be toe wear on the inside and normal wear from hard cornering on the outside. Hard to say without measuring it. That being said, cranking them up to 36 psi will slow that wear down in the meantime.
The odd part to me is that both are almost identically worn. I actually thought of rotating them side to side since I saw the exterior wear and figured it was me driving it like a douche, but then once I got them fully turned I noticed the inside wear as well.

:wtf:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

A part of me would want to run over inflated for a while and see what happens. :fullretard: :scrooge:
max225

Tarspin wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:21 pm A part of me would want to run over inflated for a while and see what happens. :fullretard: :scrooge:
The ride is rough at 31psi, I think the windshield will crack with anything over 35 :lol:
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:33 pm Could be toe wear on the inside and normal wear from hard cornering on the outside. Hard to say without measuring it. That being said, cranking them up to 36 psi will slow that wear down in the meantime.
Yea... I'll be getting at least a check in the next 2000 miles. My oil change is due in about 2 months, so I'll have em check alignment and rape me for a set of tires. I think I am not going used this time since these look like they last ~20k miles... which is exactly how long i'll have the car for before lease turn in.
max225

So this is an interesting piece. I was crawling around to see if my car was "lowered", (doesn't seem that way) However check this out!

It looks like the middle 2 of the 4 exhaust pipes are "muffled" while the exterior two are straight through.... when in sport mode the car gets pretty damn loud. I can't believe BMW essentially installed a factory muffler bypass! :mindblown:
This car literally needs no mods. :triggered: bmw took care of everything
max225

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:24 pm Image

Front left

Front right

Alignment gurus could you please chime in, it looks like my car is wearing both inside and outside edges.

One would think that means the tire pressure is too low but it is correct 31psi vs 32 required.

Car tracks 100%. Straight... I don’t want to get a BS excuse from a tire shop or a swindle from the :dillerman: for a $299 alignment.

Any insights as to what type of adjustment the car would need ? Or is this “normal”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
quoting myself to bring it up to the top... looks like costco is running a tire sale ~1200 for a set of 4 installed after tax. :notbad: Gotta figure out if I'l go with PSS or PS4 or whatever that new one is...
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:49 pm So this is an interesting piece. I was crawling around to see if my car was "lowered", (doesn't seem that way) However check this out!

It looks like the middle 2 of the 4 exhaust pipes are "muffled" while the exterior two are straight through.... when in sport mode the car gets pretty damn loud. I can't believe BMW essentially installed a factory muffler bypass! :mindblown:
This car literally needs no mods. :triggered: bmw took care of everything
Re: Bolded part....

Umm.. Haven't you see the C6 or C7 with the NPP exhaust? This is old, old tech. The MK6 Golf R had a similar setup, as well as my M235i.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

We all know how important tire pressures are for the M3.

:trollface:
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:43 am We all know how important tire pressures are for the M3.

80 and sunny. Nope that’s weather conditions causing that crash.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:39 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:43 am We all know how important tire pressures are for the M3.

It's a post-op trans-gender Mustang.
Johnny_P

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:04 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:39 am

It's a post-op trans-gender Mustang.
Dat chebby exec pace car crash doe.