Kamry XSE impressions and further updates

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tarspin wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 2:43 pm
max225 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 1:52 pm

Thanks breh, you know the look grew on me tremendously. But they are the most difficult to clean wheels I have ever had, they have a double lip design, one behind the spokes, and really narrow spokes. Combined with high performance brake compounds it is tough to keep em like that. On the flip side when they get covered in brake dust they just look Matte grey which still looks good.

Washing it isn’t half bad, it’s just that it shows dirt rather quickly
They sound terribly hard to clean. I guess the Sonax spray only does so much to get dirt off. I have the same double lip issue with my prets and i kind of do a half ass clean up of that part of the wheel :aintcare: , it'll be dirty again in two days lol!

Aside from the brake dust the car looks and sounds:amaze: . I'd probably pick one of those up over a 4BJ from the very limited info I've got on both cars.
Sonax doesn’t help at all, I still have to go and wipe em clean, I might as well not use it period and just wipe the wheels. It did wonders on really old shitty brake dust on the crown Vic but doesn’t do much here.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 3:01 pm
max225 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 2:56 pm

$399 for the m3 At the at stealershit ... :notsure: gonna see if I can trust my local tire shop with this type of shit. I hate getting alignments since most places do an ok job at best.
I don’t even know if it is out of spec ...
How about something like this.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/performance-technic-fremont
I actually used em before ... they are not bad...
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 3:02 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 3:01 pm

How about something like this.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/performance-technic-fremont
It could not be worse than the dealer.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 3:03 pm
max225 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 3:02 pm
Yea I’ll look around and see what they say. Maybe swing my at lunch.

Sometimes I wonder if my car is modded. It is suspiciously low and the wheels are quite “tucked” i wonder if i have “spacers” and “springs” dude claimed nothing was done but I guess I’ll have to do some crawling to find out
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 11:21 am Image

Good drives on Memorial Day ... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:megusta:
KiaGiver
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 2017 Subaru STi / Vapemachine

Wow 399 for a fucking alignment at BMW? My M3's alignment was 129.99 2 years ago. Jesus Christ.

You're in the Bay Area. There are a ton of motor sport shops. I'd look for one with an alignment rack and go from there.
I like rumbles, vape juice and mudflaps :gay:

Need Modz? Hit me up!
KiaGiver
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 3:06 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 3:03 pm

Yea I’ll look around and see what they say. Maybe swing my at lunch.

Sometimes I wonder if my car is modded. It is suspiciously low and the wheels are quite “tucked” i wonder if i have “spacers” and “springs” dude claimed nothing was done but I guess I’ll have to do some crawling to find out
Yeah I'd take a peak, but from the couple pictures you posted, that looks like a ZCP M3 to me. Most people install spacers to have the wheel sit flush to the fender so that looks like OEM "stance" to me. I could be wrong doe.

Need Modz? Hit me up!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 3:01 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 2:43 pm

They sound terribly hard to clean. I guess the Sonax spray only does so much to get dirt off. I have the same double lip issue with my prets and i kind of do a half ass clean up of that part of the wheel :aintcare: , it'll be dirty again in two days lol!

Aside from the brake dust the car looks and sounds:amaze: . I'd probably pick one of those up over a 4BJ from the very limited info I've got on both cars.
Sonax doesn’t help at all, I still have to go and wipe em clean, I might as well not use it period and just wipe the wheels. It did wonders on really old shitty brake dust on the crown Vic but doesn’t do much here.
Yeah its ok, not amazing. If it sits too long in really hot weather the purple residue dries up and i actually need to use water and a brush to get the spray off. :fullretard:
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

KiaGiver wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 1:42 pm
max225 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 12:58 pm
Hey Dave random Q. Is it possible to rotate the fronts side to side ? I have some wear on the outside edges but rest of the tire seems ok. Trying to get another 5-10k miles out of it ... since they are $350 a pop. The pattern looks like it is not only unidirectional but also specific to a side ?
OEM Michelin super sports, yes? Then yeah, they're specific to which side is inside and outside. Could always realign the suspension if you're wearing on the outside.
This^^^. Drive it, enjoy it and prepare to order more PSS. Just ordered a new set for the M235i today as well. I like the tire and the car was designed with them in mind. So was yours. Options exist. The factory contracts with Continental as a secondary source. I think they are a touch less expensive.
The M3 cleans up well man! Nicely done!
KiaGiver
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Davestr wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 3:47 pm

OEM Michelin super sports, yes? Then yeah, they're specific to which side is inside and outside. Could always realign the suspension if you're wearing on the outside.
This^^^. Drive it, enjoy it and prepare to order more PSS. Just ordered a new set for the M235i today as well. I like the tire and the car was designed with them in mind. So was yours. Options exist. The factory contracts with Continental as a secondary source. I think they are a touch less expensive.
new Continental Extreme Contact Sport is supposed to be slotted between the PSS and the new Michelin PS4S in terms of wet and dry handling/grip while also considerably cheaper than the Michelin counterparts. Depending on availability when the 911's wheels come in in August, I may be giving them a shot since the current PS4S and PSS don't come in correct 996 911 sizing.

Need Modz? Hit me up!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

#protip. If you wanted cheap tires you could have taken over an Elantra lease.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Davestr

Yo Max - as mentioned by Kia and myself -
'At the moment, the most popular summer tire for performance driving is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. It’s the tire of choice for all enthusiasts who want the best possible performance from their cars. And for good reason, as the Michelin Pilot Super Sport is a superb summer tire and probably the best in the business for performance driving. However, it isn’t perfect, and one of the most common complaints is that it’s expensive.

So, Continental is now offering a tire that provides the same sort of performance-oriented driving capabilities, with great wet handling abilities, increased longevity and at a lower price point — the Continental ExtremeContact Sport. The company wouldn’t comment on the price point of the new tire which is set to be released in February 2017, around the same time as the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S.'

'After that, we jumped into some BMW M3s out on a different, larger track at the Thermal Club. Our M3s were fitted with the old Continental ExtremeContact DW tire. We tested the tires in a variety of different ways on the track, from swerving in and out to riding the rumble strips, to test the comfort and noise level of the “DW”. After that, we jumped into M3s fitted with the new ExtremeContact Sport and did the same tests. We noticed marked improvements in both comfort, ride quality and noise. Especially so over the rumble strips, where the comfort and noise-level were significantly improved on the “Sport” set.'

http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/10/24/tire- ... mer-tires/
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 4:12 pm

#protip. If you wanted cheap tires you could have taken over an Elantra lease.
:member: I got a guy for used tires.
max225

Davestr wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 4:22 pm Yo Max - as mentioned by Kia and myself -
'At the moment, the most popular summer tire for performance driving is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. It’s the tire of choice for all enthusiasts who want the best possible performance from their cars. And for good reason, as the Michelin Pilot Super Sport is a superb summer tire and probably the best in the business for performance driving. However, it isn’t perfect, and one of the most common complaints is that it’s expensive.

So, Continental is now offering a tire that provides the same sort of performance-oriented driving capabilities, with great wet handling abilities, increased longevity and at a lower price point — the Continental ExtremeContact Sport. The company wouldn’t comment on the price point of the new tire which is set to be released in February 2017, around the same time as the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S.'

'After that, we jumped into some BMW M3s out on a different, larger track at the Thermal Club. Our M3s were fitted with the old Continental ExtremeContact DW tire. We tested the tires in a variety of different ways on the track, from swerving in and out to riding the rumble strips, to test the comfort and noise level of the “DW”. After that, we jumped into M3s fitted with the new ExtremeContact Sport and did the same tests. We noticed marked improvements in both comfort, ride quality and noise. Especially so over the rumble strips, where the comfort and noise-level were significantly improved on the “Sport” set.'

As you know by now, I’m only sticking to oem only :)
Davestr

max225 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 4:36 pm
Davestr wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 4:22 pm Yo Max - as mentioned by Kia and myself -

As you know by now, I’m only sticking to oem only :)
Conti’s are oem when Michelin are not avail on the line. Keep em mind possibly......
max225

:fullretard: post
I kind of want a car that I can drive to the moon and back where I :aintcare: about the miles. Current car can get 15k miles a year which is probably more than 99% of m3s get driven period. But I am still occasionally thinking of the civic sport since it is basically meant to be driven that much.

Love the m3 but it just isn’t super satisfying driving it that much.

Having the m3 as the only car certainly works though. I can’t think of much else with 440whp that is this capable as an all around vehicle
Davestr

[user not found] wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 4:35 pm I'm running the new ECS on the :meata:

It's a legit tire. Not greasy, not squirmy, not loud - grips great in the dry and the wet, and it doesn't beat you up, either.
:like:
Davestr

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:29 am :fullretard: post
I kind of want a car that I can drive to the moon and back where I :aintcare: about the miles. Current car can get 15k miles a year which is probably more than 99% of m3s get driven period. But I am still occasionally thinking of the civic sport since it is basically meant to be driven that much.

Having the m3 as the only car certainly works though. I can’t think of much else with 440whp that is this capable as an all around vehicle
The M3 is meant to be driven daily. What is not satisfying about having this M3 under you providing more than just 'transportation' lol??? Nothing beats the ability to daily an almost exotic sedan such as that Darth Vader ground transport unit you have at your disposal. Its peak mutha fkn car right now and you are doing it right.

Banish these thoughts and drive on!! You live once and you my ///////////////////MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM friend have it good. Relish this and throw shade at all others who share the road with you. They know not what they miss.

The Frau just fired up the well, its the M2 Competition that has my interest right now. Should we test it????? Currently conversing with my dealer about when a test will be possible. Just a test. We both really really like the M2 big time. It does it all just fine! :) Have a superb M3 weekend amigo! :like:
max225

Davestr wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:41 am

The M3 is meant to be driven daily. What is not satisfying about having this M3 under you providing more than just 'transportation' lol??? Nothing beats the ability to daily an almost exotic sedan such as that Darth Vader ground transport unit you have at your disposal. Its peak mutha fkn car right now and you are doing it right.

Banish these thoughts and drive on!! You live once and you my ///////////////////MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM friend have it good. Relish this and throw shade at all others who share the road with you. They know not what they miss.

The Frau just fired up the well, its the M2 Competition that has my interest right now. Should we test it????? Currently conversing with my dealer about when a test will be possible. Just a test. We both really really like the M2 big time. It does it all just fine! :) Have a superb M3 weekend amigo! :like:
M3 is a fantastic sedan. What makes it a not so great DD?
Keeping it outside and driving 150-200 miles a day every day makes it dirty withnin days at most, keeping the 666 wheels clean is a job in itself. It requires weekly if not biweekly upkeep.
The DCT is annoying at points but manageable.
The ride can be rough.

Other than that it is completely fine and very manageable.

Why m2 competition though? What does it add over your car ? Does it actually get the S motor or is it still the N?
Davestr

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:47 am
Davestr wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:41 am

Keeping it outside and driving 150-200 miles a day every day makes it dirty withnin days at most, keeping the 666 wheels clean is a job in itself. It requires weekly if not biweekly upkeep.
The ride can be rough.

Why m2 competition though? What does it add over your car ? Does it actually get the S motor or is it still the N?
https://www.bmw.de/de/neufahrzeuge/m/m2 ... blick.html
max225

Davestr wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:56 am
max225 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:47 am
The ride can be rough.

https://www.bmw.de/de/neufahrzeuge/m/m2 ... blick.html
+50hp is not insignificant, not sure I’m a huge fan of the sti wheels on it though.

Great car though! Probably the most fun 2 door In the bmw line up. Can’t go wrong with that.

Curious how much do you drive your m Dave?
Johnny_P

Ain't gotta 'splain to me, brah. I'm the one who thinks a CUV would be nice to own because there's almost no point in having a performance car around where I live.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:04 pm

Ain't gotta 'splain to me, brah. I'm the one who thinks a CUV would be nice to own because there's almost no point in having a performance car around where I live.
Dude do you have avocado toast in your profile now ? :mindblown:

Also you don't drive all that much... I would love to put 5k miles a year on the m3... at a 20-25k a year pace things get a bit different. It is still a great daily considering the performance... but there are downsides.
21mpg
$1500 a set of tires that last 15-20k miles so.... ~$1500 a year in tires... ~120 a month :yikes:
rough ride over craters
rough tranny
a bit of brake dust and tough to clean

still wouldn't want a CRV or CX5 :doe: that's embarrassing, but a civic sport with a manual would be a bit of fun... or... a TDI golf that I probably shouldn't have traded :lolgasm:
Last edited by max225 on Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:17 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:04 pm

Dude do you have avocado toast in your profile now ? :mindblown:

Also you don't drive all that much... I would love to put 5k miles a year on the m3... at a 20-25k a year pace things get a bit different. It is still a great daily considering the performance... but there are downsides.
21mpg
$1500 a set of tires that last 15-20k miles so.... ~$1500 a year in tires... ~120 a month :yikes:
rough ride over craters
rough tranny
a bit of brake dust and tough to clean transmission

still wouldn't want a CRV or CX5 :doe: that's embarrassing, but a civic sport with a manual would be a bit of fun... or... a TDI golf that I probably shouldn't have traded :lolgasm:
Yas avo toast

Super hardcore cars get old on the highway for sure. If I had Fled's 30 mile commute for example I wouldn't have bought this. But I don't put many miles on my car anymore, and the miles I do put on it are lugging along at 20-30 MPH through stop sign land. Not ideal for a performance car. Even trying to find back roads is getting tough as the Philly area has really built up over the last few years, gotta go pretty damn far to get to anything remotely fun, which doesn't happen much.

GF drove us home last night and was RAILING potholes and sinkholes totally NFG. Tiguan swallowed it all with an occasional THUD but mostly drama free, it is impressive how NFG you can be driving something like that. I think that would be ideal for me next.

Agree that the Golf TDI is a pretty logical car and a great daily. I should have bought a DSG diesel golf instead of my GTI.
Davestr

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:59 am
+50hp is not insignificant, not sure I’m a huge fan of the sti wheels on it though.

Great car though! Probably the most fun 2 door In the bmw line up. Can’t go wrong with that.

Curious how much do you drive your m Dave?
Yes the power bump and torque increase might be interesting. The 437 wheels on the M2 are an option. I would like to see the one's they are offering as standard in person. So the S55 motor but that means more weight up front in the same wheel base. We drive it almost every day. Worth it :)