DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Apex wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:48 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:47 pm

yea i can squat a few reps at 315 but its honestly my wrists and forarms that limit more reps at that weight. I work with 225-275 depending on the day and how I'm feeling. I also warm up and finish with front squats at a lower weight... warm up with 135 and finish at 165.

seated incline is leg press is at 495 at the moment. IE that level where loading and unloading plates is a pain in the ass.
Wrists and forearms are limiting squats? Can you get a pic of you under the bar?
I can try next time i go with the wife. thats prob next month (hopefully)
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:50 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:48 pm

Wrists and forearms are limiting squats? Can you get a pic of you under the bar?
I can try next time i go with the wife. thats prob next month (hopefully)
:like:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

So my gf decided she wants to start lifting.

I came up with this little plan for her after we went together. Thoughts from the experts?

Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:02 pm So my gf decided she wants to start lifting.

I came up with this little plan for her after we went together. Thoughts from the experts?

Where's the deadlift?

Edit: Blind, nvrmnd
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Plan looks good griff. Her plan to hit it 2-3x a week on non consecutive days?

I don’t love supersetting deadlifts with dumbbell press since they’re both so compressive on the spine. I know she’s not doing either very heavy, but better safe than sorry imo.

I can send you the push/pull/legs plan I set up for michelle if you kick me your email address.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

SAWCE wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:23 pm Plan looks good griff. Her plan to hit it 2-3x a week on non consecutive days?

I don’t love supersetting deadlifts with dumbbell press since they’re both so compressive on the spine. I know she’s not doing either very heavy, but better safe than sorry imo.

I can send you the push/pull/legs plan I set up for michelle if you kick me your email address.
Good point, maybe I'll have her switch that up. She was very interested/perceptive in actually doing bar bell stuff more than just machines which was cool. Her plan is doing this 2-3X per week and then doing a few classes/cardio days. She really enjoys classes most but wanted a routine for when she can't fit those in to her schedule.

Shoot it over, sure, dlloydgriffin@gmail.com . I don't see Allison being interested in non full body things but maybe if she gets bored with this it could be another thing to try.
SAWCE

Sent
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

:sawce:
I did this complex last night
Complex B
Deadlift
Clean-grip high pull
Clean-grip snatch
Back squat
Good mornings
Row

I figured i'd start light, so 75 lbs aint too much right?

well it was alot for some of the moves i don't often do.

I did the "eights" method which was supposed to be 3 sets of eight without putting the bar down.

I did the first and was sucking wind.
the second set i did 4 and 4 with a break in the middle

Third I took a rest every 2.

To add some time and tire me out more i did a fourth and did 5 pushups between each move. I finished up with some calf raises on the bendover thing. Even so this was a 'short' workout for me.

Ok.... feedback. Man what a great total body workout. I'm sore in some new places today.
Pros: quick, total body, one piece of equipment

Cons: Need lots of grip strength, due to forearm injury this is in short supply. Mine hurst today. I should go to doctor. Not long enough for me.... 3 sets even though i was "tired" i did not have a typical calorie burn and the tank was not depleted. Hence me adding extra. Finally the moves where i was already lifting pretty big were not challenging and i didnt feel like I even worked out those muscles (legs) .

What would you think about doing some heavy weights first, alternating muscle groups, and then doing the ~20 minute complexes with very light weight for cardio afterwards?

IE
monday Squats calves & a more upper body complex
wednesday bench & rows & chest and a more lower body complex
friday/sat Trap bar deads & seated mil. press & a rounded complex

My goals are to spend 50 mins to an hour at the gym and burn 7-800 kcal
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:33 am :sawce:
Complex B
Deadlift
Clean-grip high pull
Clean-grip snatch
Back squat
Good mornings
Row

I did the "eights" method which was supposed to be 3 sets of eight without putting the bar down.

To add some time and tire me out more i did a fourth and did 5 pushups between each move. I finished up with some calf raises on the bendover thing. Even so this was a 'short' workout for me.

Ok.... feedback. Man what a great total body workout. I'm sore in some new places today.

Cons: Need lots of grip strength, due to forearm injury this is in short supply. Mine hurst today. I should go to doctor. Not long enough for me.... 3 sets even though i was "tired" i did not have a typical calorie burn and the tank was not depleted. Hence me adding extra. Finally the moves where i was already lifting pretty big were not challenging and i didnt feel like I even worked out those muscles (legs) .

What would you think about doing some heavy weights first, alternating muscle groups, and then doing the ~20 minute complexes with very light weight for cardio afterwards?

IE

Nice man.

I think that doing a heavy body part workout first is a great idea. Get some good strength and size training in first, and then torch some bodyfat while still using almost every muscle in your body with these complexes.

For the complexes, I'd honestly start with a naked bar. 45 pounds is going to be light on some of the exercises compared to what you would normally do, but most of the complexes are programmed to where they progress from exercises where you'll be weaker to ones where you're stronger at the end, but since you've already done 6 exercises by the time you get to that strong one, the 45lbs will still feel like a significant amount of weight. Hope that makes sense. Then when you can do the complex with no breaks for all three rounds, add 5lbs to each side and stay at that weight for however long it takes to complete them all unbroken again.

Good stuff man. Coupled with a solid diet, these things will melt fat off your body and preserve a lot of muscle.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:31 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:33 am :sawce:
Complex B
Deadlift
Clean-grip high pull
Clean-grip snatch
Back squat
Good mornings
Row

IE

Nice man.

I think that doing a heavy body part workout first is a great idea. Get some good strength and size training in first, and then torch some bodyfat while still using almost every muscle in your body with these complexes.

For the complexes, I'd honestly start with a naked bar. 45 pounds is going to be light on some of the exercises compared to what you would normally do, but most of the complexes are programmed to where they progress from exercises where you'll be weaker to ones where you're stronger at the end, but since you've already done 6 exercises by the time you get to that strong one, the 45lbs will still feel like a significant amount of weight. Hope that makes sense. Then when you can do the complex with no breaks for all three rounds, add 5lbs to each side and stay at that weight for however long it takes to complete them all unbroken again.

Good stuff man. Coupled with a solid diet, these things will melt fat off your body and preserve a lot of muscle.
Sweet, I'll do that starting tomorrow.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Man so Sunday when I went to hit chest, I just wasn't feeling it for some reason. The week before I'd hit like 10, 10, 8, 7 with 205 on incline bench. Got 10 on my first set this time, but it felt heavy. Hit 9 on the second set, went for a 10th rep, and got stuck. Nobody around to spot me, and our incline bench doesn't have multiple rack spots going up the supports, just at the very top to rack the weight. Couldn't get there and had to bring it back down onto my chest then awkwardly roll it down my body until it was on my hips and I was able to stand up with it and set the bar on the ground to offload some of the weight and then hoist it back up onto the rack. Shit sucked. Stomach was all brused up from it for a day or two.

I like lifting alone, but damn, times like those make me wish I had someone in there with me.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:36 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:31 am

Nice man.

Sweet, I'll do that starting tomorrow.
So due to the holidays last week i didn't get to start friday (i did some kettle bell stuff at home and went on a bike ride) so I started yesterday.

First I hit squats. Back squats : I warmed up with front squats and did the back squats 3 sets of five at 315, 2 sets of five at 275, then finished with a couple sets of five front squats at 165. This took about 25 minutes.

Then i hit complex B for 3 sets of 8 with 65 lb

Deadlift
Clean-grip high pull
Clean-grip snatch
Back squat
Good mornings
Row

I did the first round straight through, then finished the last two rounds doing sets of 2.
This took about 20 minutes. I finished up with calves on the bendy over machine, 5 minutes.

Total time 51 minutes 3s 683 calories average HR of 144. Weighed in at 292 this am.

:notbad:

Today I feel not sore but just like I did work, and my forearm is doing ok.

Wednesday I'll do bench press and rows and do a more lower body focused complex.
brain go brrrrrr
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

I was sick for a bit and missed a week or so worth of workouts. I also let my diet slip a little.

I got myself back in check the past week and got back into the gym. Im down another 3lbs. 211 and hoping it will stay off and keep going until im under 200. I keep seeing the weight leave the scale and my clothes are getting a little bigger. But I dont really see a visual difference. I still feel like a fat blob and im putting up baby numbers in the gym.

Im finally breaking out the 45s for my major lifts(135lbs). And still hitting every rep on the 5x5 program. I can feel it getting more difficult. But I dont think I will be missing any reps for at least another 20lbs or so.

I feel my muscles getting a bit tired by the end of my workouts but im not quite depleted. I think that in the next week or two I may start looking for ways to get more out of my workouts. Im starting my 30 minutes of cardio on my off days tomorrow. This should help with some additional fat burning.

Any suggestions on how to really maximize my workouts without hurting myself since im still pretty new back into the gym? Also not going to lie. I wouldnt mind working on the show muscles a little bit. Any way to build the chest and arms some more in addition to the 5x5 without messing the program up?
Barnes93cb

Also im just tracking on my iphone health app. But it only says I burn about 150-200 calories in a workout. What in the world makes the difference between 35 minutes of the 5x5 where my breaks are pretty short. And your 45 minute workout that you burn 4x the calories.
SAWCE

Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:06 pm Also im just tracking on my iphone health app. But it only says I burn about 150-200 calories in a workout. What in the world makes the difference between 35 minutes of the 5x5 where my breaks are pretty short. And your 45 minute workout that you burn 4x the calories.
He complex that he runs through at the end of his workout is non-stop reps for 8 straight exercises. You create a huge O2 deficit and start burning mad calories.
Barnes93cb

SAWCE wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:29 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:06 pm Also im just tracking on my iphone health app. But it only says I burn about 150-200 calories in a workout. What in the world makes the difference between 35 minutes of the 5x5 where my breaks are pretty short. And your 45 minute workout that you burn 4x the calories.
He complex that he runs through at the end of his workout is non-stop reps for 8 straight exercises. You create a huge O2 deficit and start burning mad calories.
As much as I would love that. I dont think im ready for that kind of exertion. Not without requiring some serious down time.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

I also wear a legit af HR strap for more accurate tracking and weight close to 300lb so I will inherently be burning more calories.
brain go brrrrrr
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

SAWCE wrote:
I’d also take anything estimating calories burned with a grain of salt/margin of error. There are a number of variables that go into that.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
Calvinball

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
SAWCE wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:29 pm He complex that he runs through at the end of his workout is non-stop reps for 8 straight exercises. You create a huge O2 deficit and start burning mad calories.
I also wear a legit af HR strap for more accurate tracking and weight close to 300lb so I will inherently be burning more calories.
:dat: there’s them variables.

Barnes93cb

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:39 pm

Yeah no real monitor, and weigh 211 as of today. I was at 240 a few months ago.
Barnes93cb

Calvinball wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:44 pm
SAWCE wrote:
I’d also take anything estimating calories burned with a grain of salt/margin of error. There are a number of variables that go into that.

Correct. Which is why I think I mentioned the iphone health app predicted.

Im still getting back into the swing of things. We will see how I transition once I get further along.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:47 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:39 pm

:impressive:

I wish i could drop weight like that. I sit between 280-290 it seems.... trying to get serious with the wife about loosing some mass.

BUT, my body composition keeps getting better, pants get looser even with weight tracking about the same so its not like Im spinning wheels here.
brain go brrrrrr
Calvinball

I should probably start getting some longish runs in. I do have a ten mile race in a month...

SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:49 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:47 pm

I wish i could drop weight like that. I sit between 280-290 it seems.... trying to get serious with the wife about loosing some mass.

BUT, my body composition keeps getting better, pants get looser even with weight tracking about the same so its not like Im spinning wheels here.
Dude if we could keep you at 280, but get you down to like 15% body fat you'd be a fucking monster.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:42 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:49 pm

Dude if we could keep you at 280, but get you down to like 15% body fat you'd be a fucking monster.
:lol: I wish but I don't think it'll happen. Honestly if i can get down to 250 I'd be more than happy, and I think that is doable.
brain go brrrrrr