Appreciating cars... suggestions ? What's the current trend ?

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:23 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:22 pm

That thing is fantastic, but I don't see it as really an "investment", I think it has a ways to go down before it comes back up. Is it a future classic? Absolutely, it's the last great BMW. But they are still available new, that's not exactly a recipe for lack of depreciation. The earlier versions have already dropped $20K.
They sort of have and haven’t. The non competition ones were a lot cheaper.
:notwrong:

:iono: I think the M2 is a great car if you just want a great car, I don't think it's an investment at this stage in the game, I could be :wrong:

The way I see it, the CS will basically stay at or near MSRP for the next 10+ years, the comp will depreciate, bottoming out around $35-40K and then start to level out/maybe climb, the base will do the same but bottoming out in the mid-high 20s. The time to buy an M2 as an investment car has yet to arrive. Right now, the E90 is the one to pick up for "investment".
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:26 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:23 pm

They sort of have and haven’t. The non competition ones were a lot cheaper.
:notwrong:

:iono: I think the M2 is a great car if you just want a great car, I don't think it's an investment at this stage in the game, I could be :wrong:

The way I see it, the CS will basically stay at or near MSRP for the next 10+ years, the comp will depreciate, bottoming out around $35-40K and then start to level out/maybe climb, the base will do the same but bottoming out in the mid-high 20s. The time to buy an M2 as an investment car has yet to arrive. Right now, the E90 is the one to pick up for "investment".
Yea I agree the only one to get is the cs because it is a true collector and probably the last great bmw that can trace its lineage back to the E30 which now cost 1/2 a million bucks in great shape. The lesser models are too common and accessible to appreciate at this point in time
max225

Bmws in general are a difficult brand to “invest in” at the moment. I think they are losing out as an aspirational brand because they chased payment shoppers for so long that all their vehicles turned into steaming piles of shit with a few exceptions.

Everyone that wants an aspirational vehicle now is going to buy a Tesla. And it shows
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:44 pm Bmws in general are a difficult brand to “invest in” at the moment. I think they are losing out as an aspirational brand because they chased payment shoppers for so long that all their vehicles turned into steaming piles of shit with a few exceptions.

Everyone that wants an aspirational vehicle now is going to buy a Tesla. And it shows
I have little interest in modern BMWs. I still like e36's and e30's and older stuff, but since those are stratospheric prices for cars worth buying, meh.

I remember when the f30 came out and "writers" I worked with claimed it was the end of BMW. That was certainly the beginning of the end it seemed.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:47 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:44 pm Bmws in general are a difficult brand to “invest in” at the moment. I think they are losing out as an aspirational brand because they chased payment shoppers for so long that all their vehicles turned into steaming piles of shit with a few exceptions.

I have little interest in modern BMWs. I still like e36's and e30's and older stuff, but since those are stratospheric prices for cars worth buying, meh.

I remember when the f30 came out and "writers" I worked with claimed it was the end of BMW. That was certainly the beginning of the end it seemed.
The end of bmw came by having 8 different shitty suvs that are shit new and used
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:51 pm

The end of bmw came by having 8 different shitty suvs that are shit new and used
All of which happened to coincide with the F30 launch.

The F30 launch is more symbolic of BMW's decision to stop focus on building great driving aspiration cars and to instead chase market share with mediocre crossover things.

Which probably saved the business, but had a pretty detrimental impact to the brand IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

The future is rather :notsure: with BMW, I'd agree. I mean, the reliability seems to be improved, but the magic also seems to be mostly gone and most average people still view them as unreliable.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:53 pm

The F30 launch is more symbolic of BMW's decision to stop focus on building great driving aspiration cars and to instead chase market share with mediocre crossover things.

Which probably saved the business, but had a pretty detrimental impact to the brand IMO.
We shall see if they will survive the great electrification movement. VW seems to be far better positioned to do so.

I think bmw is going the ways of the Pontiac at some point in the future.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:53 pm

The future is rather :notsure: with BMW, I'd agree. I mean, the reliability seems to be improved, but the magic also seems to be mostly gone and most average people still view them as unreliable.
The other issue is immense service costs. For vehicles that can’t really justify it. Porsche is still getting away with $8000 brake jobs on cayennes but the days of that situation are numbered too, as people realize how much cheaper non badge engineered vehicles are.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:55 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:53 pm

We shall see if they will survive the great electrification movement. VW seems to be far better positioned to do so.

BMW is too big to go away entirely. The mission to increase market share and appeal to a broader group of people worked...and that's great financially. The question is around your original point re: aspirational and how long they can keep the momentum. Probably not long as this rate TBH. Once they fail bad at EV's, the chinese will probably by the brand and slap it on podmobiles or something.

VW does seem to be in a good position :doe: Maybe it will buy BMW.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:05 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:55 pm

BMW is too big to go away entirely. The mission to increase market share and appeal to a broader group of people worked...and that's great financially. The question is around your original point re: aspirational and how long they can keep the momentum. Probably not long as this rate TBH. Once they fail bad at EV's, the chinese will probably by the brand and slap it on podmobiles or something.

Bmw has lost the main differentiating factor ... the brand/fun to drive . No one in their right mind would buy a boring BMW over a China pod.

Because guess what bmw can’t compete with China pods thanks to their immense manufacturing/brand costs.

Essentially what they did was to destroy themselves as a brand by chasing vanilla. It may have done something short term ... but long term they are done for
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:08 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:05 pm

Bmw has lost the main differentiating factor ... the brand/fun to drive . No one in their right mind would buy a boring BMW over a China pod.

Because guess what bmw can’t compete with China pods thanks to their immense manufacturing/brand costs.

Essentially what they did was to destroy themselves as a brand by chasing vanilla. It may have done something short term ... but long term they are done for
Yep, really can't disagree.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

And 7 series that are more garish than a full sizeCadillac. I surprised a Tonneau roof is not offered.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:44 pm
And 7 series that are more garish than a full sizeCadillac. I surprised a Tonneau roof is not offered.
Landau. Come on man, you're old enough to want one, get the terminology right!

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:46 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:44 pm

Landau. Come on man, you're old enough to want one, get the terminology right!

:dat:
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Interestingly I'm looking at some some suspension MODZ for the 440i. The Bilstein "B12" package pairs Eibach springs with B8s, $930. Sway bars are $625. Also need to remedy :225: issue. All of this is stupid but I'm bored.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:52 pm Interestingly I'm looking at some some suspension MODZ for the 440i. The Bilstein "B12" package pairs Eibach springs with B8s, $930. Sway bars are $625. Also need to remedy :225: issue. All of this is stupid but I'm bored.
What's your main complaint with the suspenders on the 440? Or are they just getting worn?
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:52 pm Interestingly I'm looking at some some suspension MODZ for the 440i. The Bilstein "B12" package pairs Eibach springs with B8s, $930. Sway bars are $625. Also need to remedy :225: issue. All of this is stupid but I'm bored.
Go have 10 really nice dinners instead and eye fuck the waitresses in Vegas. That seems like a far better use of cash
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:55 pm
What's your main complaint with the suspenders on the 440? Or are they just getting worn?
Probably echoes what most say about the F30/F32 non M cars..........they are "fine." The M Sport suspension is firm but there's nothing ZOMG Ultimate Driving Machine about this rig. I ditched the runcraps for PS4S which helped a bit. I'd get rid of it but it still looks nice, only has 32K miles on it after four years, and has, of course, depreciated at Mach 10.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:56 pm
Go have 10 really nice dinners instead and eye fuck the waitresses in Vegas. That seems like a far better use of cash
Impossible to argue to the contrary.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Eh, I think it could be pretty worthwhile, Alan changed the suspension on the one I used to own. My Bilstein shocks on the C5 have been incredible. That said, I felt the stock springs on the Beemah were good. Do you have the M Sport, I can't remember?

Biggest issue with those cars is the stupid staggered tires. I would get a big front bar, :nice: shocks, and :255: all around and call it.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:13 pm
Eh, I think it could be pretty worthwhile, Alan changed the suspension on the one I used to own. My Bilstein shocks on the C5 have been incredible. That said, I felt the stock springs on the Beemah were good. Do you have the M Sport, I can't remember?

Biggest issue with those cars is the stupid staggered tires. I would get a big front bar, :nice: shocks, and :255: all around and call it.
Yep the biggest issue was the :225: hence my bitching and the forceful change of my screen name under the last leadershit.

Having spent considerable time in an M3 compared to my M sport they couldn't even be more different. M sport is an appearance package. IMO.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:13 pm

I have the M Sport. I also bought your old 255s from Melon. Probably fucked on the offset but I'll give it a shot. Worst case scenario they are not curbed courtesy of :tits: