Who Do You Use For Insurance?

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:57 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:56 am Ended up getting a couple of quotes. Right now with Amica I pay $1400, if I add the wife, it'll be $1800 (annually).

Geico is $1010, AAA is $1250.

I think I will call Amica and see if we can get this reduced at all, I'd be happy to stay with them, but at 50% more... tough pill to swallow. Back when I only had the C5 I recall cross shopping and Amica was actually in the more affordable end of things, just me single with the :poorvette: was like $650/year.

I have never been in a wreck and gotten one 44 in a 35 ticket since I've carried my own policy starting about 10 years ago.
Is that combined with homeowners? You can get some :impressive: discounts when you combine home and auto.
For the quotes, no. Right now I have the homeowners and auto through Amica... making it even more of a ripoff.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:Ended up getting a couple of quotes. Right now with Amica I pay $1400, if I add the wife, it'll be $1800 (annually).

I think I will call Amica and see if we can get this reduced at all, I'd be happy to stay with them, but at 50% more... tough pill to swallow. Back when I only had the C5 I recall cross shopping and Amica was actually in the more affordable end of things, just me single with the :poorvette: was like $650/year.

I have never been in a wreck and gotten one 44 in a 35 ticket since I've carried my own policy starting about 10 years ago.
Yet another thing that's cheaper than NY. We're older with only 2 cars and state minimum liability limits and it's $1600/yr for gecko, not including the bundled renter's insurance. Never had any claims whatsoever, no tickets in 7 or 8 years.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

SAWCE wrote:I just got an email from Geico last night. 15% off insurance premiums for any policy renewals or new policies between April 8 and October 7.

If anyone is looking to switch and their insurance isn’t providing some sort of Corona virus relief, Geico could be the right move.
Well. I’ll have to see what progressive does when the renew my motorcycle policy.

The wife will never leave Erie for auto insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:17 am
D Griff wrote:Ended up getting a couple of quotes. Right now with Amica I pay $1400, if I add the wife, it'll be $1800 (annually).

Yet another thing that's cheaper than NY. We're older with only 2 cars and state minimum liability limits and it's $1600/yr for gecko, not including the bundled renter's insurance. Never had any claims whatsoever, no tickets in 7 or 8 years.
Did it go up when you got the 86?

I’m at $1860/year for my Jeep here in California.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

SAWCE wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:17 am Yet another thing that's cheaper than NY. We're older with only 2 cars and state minimum liability limits and it's $1600/yr for gecko, not including the bundled renter's insurance. Never had any claims whatsoever, no tickets in 7 or 8 years.

Jesus. Insurance in Cali is insane.

I only pay like 2600 for both our cars and you know my driving history is trash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
troyguitar

SAWCE wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:17 am Yet another thing that's cheaper than NY. We're older with only 2 cars and state minimum liability limits and it's $1600/yr for gecko, not including the bundled renter's insurance. Never had any claims whatsoever, no tickets in 7 or 8 years.

Yeah it went up from about 1200 to 1600 to go from the $8k MKZ to the $30k 86, both with the $5k Mazda3 and wife.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:39 am
SAWCE wrote:

Yeah it went up from about 1200 to 1600 to go from the $8k MKZ to the $30k 86, both with the $5k Mazda3 and wife.
Cheaper than here. JUST the wife's JL is $1,700.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:39 am
SAWCE wrote:

$400 increase for a year doesn’t seem too terrible of a jump for that vehicle swap. Still sucks it isn’t cheaper though. I’d love to be sub $100/month for just me.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Jessi and I use Geico for our dailies.
I use Hagerty classic car for the E30. Declared value policy of $10,000
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:14 am I just got an email from Geico last night. 15% off insurance premiums for any policy renewals or new policies between April 8 and October 7.

If anyone is looking to switch and their insurance isn’t providing some sort of Corona virus relief, Geico could be the right move.
:ohdang:

Can you forward this to me, plz
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:39 am Yeah it went up from about 1200 to 1600 to go from the $8k MKZ to the $30k 86, both with the $5k Mazda3 and wife.
Cheaper than here. JUST the wife's JL is $1,700.
Doesn't that cost more to replace than an 86 and a 120k mile mazda3 combined?
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:54 am
Detroit wrote: Cheaper than here. JUST the wife's JL is $1,700.
Dunno. I'd expect to get $35k for it if it were totaled. So in a similar ballpark?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:06 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:54 am Doesn't that cost more to replace than an 86 and a 120k mile mazda3 combined?
Dunno. I'd expect to get $35k for it if it were totaled. So in a similar ballpark?
Probably yeah, so cost per value is pretty similar. MI and NY are both :waxer: and apparently so is CA. When we lived 50 miles south in PA rates were like less than half of what they are up here.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Well... I'm trying to switch to Geico, some headaches are occurring so far. They actually lowered my quote further for the next 6 months with the 15% discount :sawce: cited above. Then, after mentioning the wife has an existing policy, they said that instead of opening this new one, I should be added to hers. Somehow, that resulted in the price going up by 50% wtf:

Wife was on a conference call so we will have to call back together and see if they will honor the original quote :rolleyes:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:57 am Well... I'm trying to switch to Geico, some headaches are occurring so far. They actually lowered my quote further for the next 6 months with the 15% discount :sawce: cited above. Then, after mentioning the wife has an existing policy, they said that instead of opening this new one, I should be added to hers. Somehow, that resulted in the price going up by 50% wtf:

Wife was on a conference call so we will have to call back together and see if they will honor the original quote :rolleyes:
New customers usually get a super cheap rate to sign up, then it goes up after 6 months or so. You were qualifying for the super cheap new customer rate, and now you don't.

It's all a :bs: scam. That's why I've written off those discount companies.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:03 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:57 am Well... I'm trying to switch to Geico, some headaches are occurring so far. They actually lowered my quote further for the next 6 months with the 15% discount :sawce: cited above. Then, after mentioning the wife has an existing policy, they said that instead of opening this new one, I should be added to hers. Somehow, that resulted in the price going up by 50% wtf:

New customers usually get a super cheap rate to sign up, then it goes up after 6 months or so. You were qualifying for the super cheap new customer rate, and now you don't.

Yeah I think if they don't give me the rate that was quoted, I'm going to walk away, that is :bs:

I am still a new customer... Allison's policy is like peanuts, one $3K car with liability only and no wrecks, one ticket like 8 years ago. So they would still be getting significantly more.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:03 pm

Yeah I think if they don't give me the rate that was quoted, I'm going to walk away, that is :bs:

I am still a new customer... Allison's policy is like peanuts, one $3K car with liability only and no wrecks, one ticket like 8 years ago. So they would still be getting significantly more.
Logic doesn't apply here man.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:30 am
Melon wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:45 am Jessi and I use Geico for our dailies.
I use Hagerty classic car for the E30. Declared value policy of $10,000
I need to switch the R53 over to a declared value policy, possibly with Hagerty.
They never asked about the milage, just the use, and I was honest about TN trips and highway driving (Referring to the C5 at the time) dude didn't care, said it was on the honor system.

Now, in addition, I should look into an AutoX policy to supplement Hagerty for the E30.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Oh wow. Jessi and I went to a newly built Geico officer here, met with an agent, and we ran all sorts of numbers and situations, she was 100% cool with doing that to get us the lowest rates possible.

It ended up being us on seperate policies, which I liked because I'm not paying for Jessi's wrecks anymore.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

As much as these big insurance companies are "Nationwide" their services, rates, and all that are really tied into a state-specific operation. It's interesting to see, when you look at the specific policies you might see an entirely different company that is handling business for you under the authority of the big name insurer.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

We got an email that said Erie was cutting rates at time of renewal the other day, didn't say for how long :doe:. Ours doesn't renew til the fall, so I'm not holding my breath.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:54 am
Detroit wrote: Cheaper than here. JUST the wife's JL is $1,700.
You could drop collision on the Mazda to save some cash. If it’s truly only worth $5k...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Melon wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:58 am

Oh wow. Jessi and I went to a newly built Geico officer here, met with an agent, and we ran all sorts of numbers and situations, she was 100% cool with doing that to get us the lowest rates possible.

It ended up being us on seperate policies, which I liked because I'm not paying for Jessi's wrecks anymore.
:word: We need to call them together, just want the rate they already quoted me at.

How much do you pay for the Hagerty policy if you don't mind me asking? One thing I worry about a tad with switching from Amica is that if I ever wreck on track, it'll be harder to get it covered by the Gecko.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:23 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:54 am Doesn't that cost more to replace than an 86 and a 120k mile mazda3 combined?
You could drop collision on the Mazda to save some cash. If it’s truly only worth $5k...
:dat:

My wife was excited when we did that and she saved some money. The Fusion has 150K miles on it and is sub $5K I'm sure... so there's really no point, I can't imagine she'll get in a wreck more serious than in a parking lot ever anyway. Although, she does have a bad :pinshit: :instagram: :millennial: while driving habit, but fortunately her mileage is low at this point.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:47 am
Melon wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:58 am

:word: We need to call them together, just want the rate they already quoted me at.

How much do you pay for the Hagerty policy if you don't mind me asking? One thing I worry about a tad with switching from Amica is that if I ever wreck on track, it'll be harder to get it covered by the Gecko.
$770 annually, but that's for great coverage.
I can't login, but iirc it's $0 deductible comp/collision and 100/500/100 liability.
They offer perks like the ability to buy back your car if it gets wrecked, and roadside assistance.