Coronavirus Escape Plan

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Let's have some fun here...

I'm flying out to CA tomorrow to attend a friend's wedding in Santa Barbara. Many people have told us we're crazy to get on our flight with the spread of the plague...risking "being stuck" quarantined in CA. That would be awesome for us for many reasons, so fingers crossed that happens. Our return flight is scheduled for Tuesday, but the wife and I are having fun with the "what if" scenario of Delta cancelling our flight (along with other flights out of CA). Our plan right now would be to buy a rust-free CA something for $5-$10k to drive back to MI, camping along the way, and selling for a profit in MI to cover the costs.

In MI, older 70-90s american trucks/SUVs are gold. Most rusted away, so a rust-free CA truck can fetch a nice premium here. Needs to be a 4x4, but a cool 2WD "muscle truck" type thing could work too. Open to brands and car/pickup/SUV...just needs to have enough room for some camping gear AND be an easy sell in Michigan (no german/Japanse wagons or the like unless SUPER cool).

Post up some cool shit between San Diego and Pay area.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:35 pm Let's have some fun here...

I'm flying out to CA tomorrow to attend a friend's wedding in Santa Barbara. Many people have told us we're crazy to get on our flight with the spread of the plague...risking "being stuck" quarantined in CA. That would be awesome for us for many reasons, so fingers crossed that happens. Our return flight is scheduled for Tuesday, but the wife and I are having fun with the "what if" scenario of Delta cancelling our flight (along with other flights out of CA). Our plan right now would be to buy a rust-free CA something for $5-$10k to drive back to MI, camping along the way, and selling for a profit in MI to cover the costs.

In MI, older 70-90s american trucks/SUVs are gold. Most rusted away, so a rust-free CA truck can fetch a nice premium here. Needs to be a 4x4, but a cool 2WD "muscle truck" type thing could work too. Open to brands and car/pickup/SUV...just needs to have enough room for some camping gear AND be an easy sell in Michigan (no german/Japanse wagons or the like unless SUPER cool).

Freeways are empty here
1/3 of the people going to work or less
Airport screeners just got the Plague

I am loving it!

About your :truk: life... I am :notsure: there are that many deals on "rust free" anything.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Typhoon or Cyclone.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:38 pm

Freeways are empty here

I am loving it!

About your :truk: life... I am :notsure: there are that many deals on "rust free" anything.
wow, reminds me of the first Government shutdown in the DC area. Im 100% work at home for a month for now, less miles, more money saved on gas, get to gym everyday, what's not to love.

On top of deals, some people may be on possibility of layoffs. I know the hotel industry are at risk.
Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Apex wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:39 pm Typhoon or Cyclone.
real hard to find and likely above budget.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

A manuel gm 1500 square body 4x4. Blue. Crushed velvet interior.

:megusta:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

dubshow wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:41 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:39 pm Typhoon or Cyclone.
real hard to find and likely above budget.
:iono: just the first cool things that came to mind.
ChrisoftheNorth

Freeways are empty here

I am loving it!

"Rust free" in CA is different from "rust free" in MI. Surface rust is NBD, as long as there aren't holes.

Unless the CA market is still too crazy?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I've posted so many mint GCs in Max's threads and the CL thread I'd be inclined to go with one. Loaded V8 models are under 5k all day there. Or a rust free gmt800 2005/6 excab 6.5" bed z71 with L33 aluminum block engine. Basically my truck but rust free is probably an easy 2-3k profit.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:42 pm A manuel gm 1500 square body 4x4. Blue. Crushed velvet interior.

You described my GMT400. I miss that truck. I'd love to replicate that experience.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:43 pm I've posted so many mint GCs in Max's threads and the CL thread I'd be inclined to go with one. Loaded V8 models are under 5k all day there. Or a rust free gmt800 2005/6 excab 6.5" bed z71 with L33 aluminum block engine. Basically my truck but rust free is probably an easy 2-3k profit.
Now we're talking....
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:43 pm Whatever you buy, make sure it's got a full tank of gas.
Por que?
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:43 pm

Freeways are empty here

I am loving it!

"Rust free" in CA is different from "rust free" in MI. Surface rust is NBD, as long as there aren't holes.

I am saying the market is crazy. That wasn't a comment on the rust.

Clean 4x4's are basically non existent under 10k... Yes you can get a ragged 200k mile example easy... but anything decent is quite a bit more... hell I am having issues getting DECENT anything under 20k
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:46 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:43 pm

I am saying the market is crazy. That wasn't a comment on the rust.

Clean 4x4's are basically non existent under 10k... Yes you can get a ragged 200k mile example easy... but anything decent is quite a bit more... hell I am having issues getting DECENT anything under 20k
IDGAF about mileage and am significantly less picky than you are. Out here, as long as it isn't rusty, decently maintained, and somewhat desirable, it'll sell for a premium.
max225

ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:46 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:44 pm
Por que?
You won't be the only ones driving out of Cali.
It's the best place in the world...nobody wants to leave.
max225

ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:47 pm https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/ ... 09967.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/ ... 97915.html

8.1 liters why the fuck not if gas is under $2
That 8.1 is EPIC
max225

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:46 pm
Por que?
You won't be the only ones driving out of Cali.
:ayfkm: more cali hate from "better" states. :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

Would prefer something more on the stock side though...I don't want to deal with bro'd lift kits and other :fullretard: modz that'll fuck it up. People out here really don't seem to care for Brodozers.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:43 pm I've posted so many mint GCs in Max's threads and the CL thread I'd be inclined to go with one. Loaded V8 models are under 5k all day there. Or a rust free gmt800 2005/6 excab 6.5" bed z71 with L33 aluminum block engine. Basically my truck but rust free is probably an easy 2-3k profit.
Now we're talking....
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/ ... 33538.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/d/ ... 08219.html
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:50 pm

Would prefer something more on the stock side though...I don't want to deal with bro'd lift kits and other :fullretard: modz that'll fuck it up. People out here really don't seem to care for Brodozers.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/ ... 30773.html

One owner cherry stocker
max225

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/d/ ... 21786.html

This one seems epic... for the money.
max225

Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Shit, find you something in Airboatland. We got it all.
I got my 2005 2wd Crew Cab 5.3 for $3K with 180K miles. Pushing 230K now and could probably sell it for the same I bought it for.