What do you think is the proper way to use money on everyday life?

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

This is the place my brother recently purchased.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1240 ... 9986_zpid/
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Yep. 15 miles away from town you can get a nice place for 6 figures.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Apex wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:24 am This article popped into my email this morning and I thought it for well here:

https://mayooshin.com/how-to-be-happy-again/
:wrong:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

This kind of ties into my midlife crisis thread...the feels are real.

We've been living a life where we max out the 401k, maintain ~12 mos of expenses in cash, pay extra toward the mortgage, then just blow the rest on whatever we want. The funny thing there is we don't budget at all, and still end up saving a bit each month. But we don't buy big ticket items (other than car stupidity, but that's going to calm down significantly). I'd love to blow $2k on 35's and wheels for my truck, but don't because :scrooge: Same with buying another car...the happiness just isn't there for that stuff to me anymore.The big ticket things we spend on are travelling and experiences mostly, and even then we're happier just towing our $2k popup glamper around the state of Michigan. We spend a lot on booze and restaurants...but that's what we both enjoy so whatever. We also have a lot of really nice furniture in the house, and like to spend some money on house updates...which in our case will end up paying itself back if we decide to bail.

I think the bigger issue is the rat race debate. A $7k mortgage is insane to me. That kind of commitment is immense and just can't imagine a scenario where spending that much on a house is worth the happiness return I'd get. Hell, We're paying $3k/mo for our house (mortgage, taxes, insurance) and that's with throwing an extra $300/mo at the mortgage. I sometimes think that's too much to spend on a house even. Fortunately, I love my house, and get the right happiness return from it...sometimes.

The rat race has worn on me significantly. I hate my current professional situation, and my entire industry is fucked. I'm finding ways to improve my job satisfaction by going rogue on projects, but that could end up in me being jobless eventually (breaking a lot of process, going around my bosses to do things, etc). Which I'm OK with because I'm over it all. A kick in the pants to make a drastic change like moving to a simpler life is something I'd oddly welcome.

What would I do if I moved? That's the biggest challenge.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:24 am This article popped into my email this morning and I thought it for well here:

This is such bullshit.

So how does he afford a place to live?
How does he afford to support his wife and child?
How does he afford the wine he drinks in the evening?

Reality is we have a lot more to afford, and we trade our time and labors for money.
The trick is to take the time to have those fishing trips, ciestas with your wife, play with your child, and drink the wine while building a career.

Everyone has things they do to keep them sane, be it model building, sexual exploits, cooking, spending time in a boat on a lake. Once you stop doing those things, that's when your life loses all meaning. Make time for the small pleasures, and the rest will follow.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Melon wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:43 am

This is such bullshit.

Reality is we have a lot more to afford, and we trade our time and labors for money.
The trick is to take the time to have those fishing trips, ciestas with your wife, play with your child, and drink the wine while building a career.

Everyone has things they do to keep them sane, be it model building, sexual exploits, cooking, spending time in a boat on a lake. Once you stop doing those things, that's when your life loses all meaning. Make time for the small pleasures, and the rest will follow.
Tuna fishing can be rather lucrative. Catch a couple good ones in the morning and you have your spending money for the day.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:49 am

This is such bullshit.

Tuna fishing can be rather lucrative. Catch a couple good ones in the morning and you have your spending money for the day.
You're not wrong, and I'm debating the economics of an anecdote that's meant to point out the meaning of "stop and smell the roses"

:ohwell:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

troyguitar wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:20 am
dubshow wrote:
:dat:

the "everything cost $1m" is a hard fucking Imageol: are we about to turn this into a zillow :bread: of cool/nice shit you can get for under $1M?
He wants to be in a decent part of a big city. That's 7+ figures across the world.

Yeah our house in KY was super nice for $150k but it would be $1.5M in SF and $1M in Austin... Maybe more than that if it was still on a quarter acre.
$500-600k buys you a VERY nice house in austin.... Your KY house is like $350k in proper austin burbs. A fancy :waxer: appt is a $2k/mo thing.

for a 15-25min commute you can be with the plebs in $200-300k houses.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2116 ... 6526_zpid/

This is fact and shit I know. I looked at moving to austin and have stayed there for a few times a year, annually.
Last edited by dubshow on Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

This is such bullshit.

I prefer hunting the land based tuna. :megusta:
Apex

dubshow wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:56 am

I prefer hunting the land based tuna. :megusta:
:notbad:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

oh look. for $540k you get 2150 sqft 2 car garage fully renovated older ranch style.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/909- ... 2793_zpid/

:rolleyes: at you people thinking everything is $1m.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Once you stop doing those things, that's when your life loses all meaning. Make time for the small pleasures, and the rest will follow.
:mahman: :wub:

But again. This is an all or nothing forum. WE ONLY DEAL IN ABSOLUTES.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

This is such bullshit.

:dat: :dat: :dat:
:dat: :mahman: :dat:
:dat: :dat: :dat:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

dubshow wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:00 am oh look. for $540k you get 2150 sqft 2 car garage fully renovated older ranch style.

What's worse is assuming you can only live in massive metro areas. People are people. Traffic is traffic. This is a big country with a lot of great smaller places to live. That's really what I want.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

wap wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:40 am
max225 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:59 am

You can’t get denied healthcare coverage here. So if medical bills become too big you just :nope: out. What else can you do ? Illegals get it for free
Include health care in your $ saving calculus is all I'm saying.
It’s not a thing for us. And if Things go sour 7 figures go out the window so there is no point
max225

dubshow wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:00 am oh look. for $540k you get 2150 sqft 2 car garage fully renovated older ranch style.

That’s not a nice place ... and 540k for that in Austin is insane...
max225

dubshow wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:53 am
troyguitar wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:20 am He wants to be in a decent part of a big city. That's 7+ figures across the world.

Yeah our house in KY was super nice for $150k but it would be $1.5M in SF and $1M in Austin... Maybe more than that if it was still on a quarter acre.
$500-600k buys you a VERY nice house in austin.... Your KY house is like $350k in proper austin burbs. A fancy :waxer: appt is a $2k/mo thing.

This is fact and shit I know. I looked at moving to austin and have stayed there for a few times a year, annually.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2500 ... 1841_zpid/

This is what I’d like. Anyways obviously you can go cheaper but it’s not what I’d consider nice. You can get something for 250/300 and commute in Austin. Also don’t forget the 2.5-3% prop taxes
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:35 am
dubshow wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:53 am

This is what I’d like. Anyways obviously you can go cheaper but it’s not what I’d consider nice. You can get something for 250/300 and commute in Austin. Also don’t forget the 2.5-3% prop taxes
No state income tax doe.

I like that kinda-modern place. Tis :melon: approved.
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:39 am This kind of ties into my midlife crisis thread...the feels are real.

We've been living a life where we max out the 401k, maintain ~12 mos of expenses in cash, pay extra toward the mortgage, then just blow the rest on whatever we want. The funny thing there is we don't budget at all, and still end up saving a bit each month. But we don't buy big ticket items (other than car stupidity, but that's going to calm down significantly). I'd love to blow $2k on 35's and wheels for my truck, but don't because :scrooge: Same with buying another car...the happiness just isn't there for that stuff to me anymore.The big ticket things we spend on are travelling and experiences mostly, and even then we're happier just towing our $2k popup glamper around the state of Michigan. We spend a lot on booze and restaurants...but that's what we both enjoy so whatever. We also have a lot of really nice furniture in the house, and like to spend some money on house updates...which in our case will end up paying itself back if we decide to bail.

I think the bigger issue is the rat race debate. A $7k mortgage is insane to me. That kind of commitment is immense and just can't imagine a scenario where spending that much on a house is worth the happiness return I'd get. Hell, We're paying $3k/mo for our house (mortgage, taxes, insurance) and that's with throwing an extra $300/mo at the mortgage. I sometimes think that's too much to spend on a house even. Fortunately, I love my house, and get the right happiness return from it...sometimes.

The rat race has worn on me significantly. I hate my current professional situation, and my entire industry is fucked. I'm finding ways to improve my job satisfaction by going rogue on projects, but that could end up in me being jobless eventually (breaking a lot of process, going around my bosses to do things, etc). Which I'm OK with because I'm over it all. A kick in the pants to make a drastic change like moving to a simpler life is something I'd oddly welcome.

What would I do if I moved? That's the biggest challenge.
Now disregard 7k because that’s relative to income levels.

You live in a self admittedly nice place, in an area that you desire. I don’t ... it’s been an issue for years for me. Imagine doing what you do and coming home to :mahtroy: crotchfruit in the streets and fking losers all around you... what do you do ?

Continue on this path for years and watch the bank account grow by 6 figures a year while mixing with this type of shit or actually get a nice place ?
Apex

Welp, as usual I’m full of :shit: . :nevermind:

I’ll keep stupid articles to my stupid self. :csb:
max225

Melon wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:38 am
max225 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:35 am

No state income tax doe.

Austin is irrelevant for me, because I would take a 50% pay cut as would she, and I personally didn’t like it. It’s a huge compromise over where I live in most ways other than cost.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:40 am
Melon wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:38 am

No state income tax doe.

Austin is irrelevant for me, because I would take a 50% pay cut as would she, and I personally didn’t like it. It’s a huge compromise over where I live in most ways other than cost.
Right, it was more of a thought experiment that started out with the idea of getting to meet you on one of my Austin trips.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:39 am Welp, as usual I’m full of :shit: . :nevermind:

You're good boo.

max225

Melon wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:49 am
max225 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:40 am
Right, it was more of a thought experiment that started out with the idea of getting to meet you on one of my Austin trips.
My best friend moved there this year. Bought a nice place for 295k in Leander and kept his Bay Area pay. You’d think that’s the :unicorn: scenario. But honestly I didn’t like it there... there is nothing to do in the summer. It’s 100F for 100 days.

now note I specifically said Austin proper he went 35/40 miles outside of it to save money. Austin proper and NICE is pricy, now everyone’s definition of nice differs.

And ill be back again in the spring. To see if the first two times I have been to Austin were :wrong:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Apex wrote:Welp, as usual I’m full of :shit: . :nevermind:

FWIW I still have not seen anyone even attempt to explain how being happy with one's state is not directly opposed to self improvement or even merely maintaining that state. If you're happy no matter what, there is no reason to do anything at all. Sit in a chair and enjoy your life until you die of thirst.