Define :plac:

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.

What is plac ?

Changing a working vehicle for another or adding a vehicle you don’t need?
95%
Only if it happens to be gti to Charger to gti to Charger to charger to gti to wrx
5%

Total votes: 22
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

troyguitar wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:43 pm I don't generally give a fuck what happens to housing or the market, the break that I'm hoping for is that 100% remote employment opportunities become common enough for us to have them.

If all of our cash disappears and we have to pay $3k/mo to rent a decent place in a decent city that's "fine" - as long as we have fucking jobs that allow us to live where we want vs being chained to an office for no god damn reason.

Short term my hope/plan is: Wife keeps her current job. She's been working 100% remote for 8 weeks now and the government mandate currently runs through what will be the 10th week of 100% remote work. With some luck, she can convince the boss to make the remote status permanent and we can move South this Fall, likely a rental in Charlotte. The boss allowing this is the lucky break that I'm pinning my hopes and dreams on, it's that possible future which is keeping me from being totally miserable right now. 10+ weeks of no impact to job performance has to be a long enough trial to prove that it will work. 3/4 of her team isn't even in this country anyway, it was fucking insane that we had to live here even before the virus.
I remember that you guys were house shopping. Heck if that's off the table then it takes a lot pressure off you in some ways financially.

Charlotte is a nice city with good weather. I could get on board with that WFH lifestyle. Who knows what corporate dinosaurs will decide now that their lives are literally on the line. Still doubtful it will go remote in 90% of work establishments, but I agree that they should.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:06 am
troyguitar wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:43 pm I don't generally give a fuck what happens to housing or the market, the break that I'm hoping for is that 100% remote employment opportunities become common enough for us to have them.

If all of our cash disappears and we have to pay $3k/mo to rent a decent place in a decent city that's "fine" - as long as we have fucking jobs that allow us to live where we want vs being chained to an office for no god damn reason.

Short term my hope/plan is: Wife keeps her current job. She's been working 100% remote for 8 weeks now and the government mandate currently runs through what will be the 10th week of 100% remote work. With some luck, she can convince the boss to make the remote status permanent and we can move South this Fall, likely a rental in Charlotte. The boss allowing this is the lucky break that I'm pinning my hopes and dreams on, it's that possible future which is keeping me from being totally miserable right now. 10+ weeks of no impact to job performance has to be a long enough trial to prove that it will work. 3/4 of her team isn't even in this country anyway, it was fucking insane that we had to live here even before the virus.
Hope this happens.

We’re hoping to move this year as well... womanz new gig (since I’m a bitch too and my woman makes more than me), is on the peninsula and we can’t Afford $1600 a sq foot. And commuting is 2 hrs each way.... from reasonable places ... which hopefully we can finally get.

But now the fear is everyone is doing the same shit, tons of people are trying to leave sf...
Likewise.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:03 am
Tarspin wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:53 pm Reread this thread, i feel like a different human from who I was in October. Anyone else there with me? Is it possible this is actually bettering us all? Do we need adversity and challenges to be our true to ourselves?

Me in October... would love a green Chally with a 392 Hemi

Me now... I think my wife and I should split driving the Gorf until the wheels fall off of it since it's paid off and one insurance policy would save us $.

RIP :plac:
I don’t know ... this affects everyone differently.

I still want a :taco:
Reducing expenses is a survival tactic. If you and the missus are secure in your employment and can handle three cars, one to two properties, crotchfruit and unstable future interest rates and COL then you're jelling, but that's pretty rare for most people at our age. If things stay the same on an economic front then I agree, a new Rav and gently used Evora should be in the three car garage bay. Wish I could say the same.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Tarspin wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:17 am

I remember that you guys were house shopping. Heck if that's off the table then it takes a lot pressure off you in some ways financially.

Charlotte is a nice city with good weather. I could get on board with that WFH lifestyle. Who knows what corporate dinosaurs will decide now that their lives are literally on the line. Still doubtful it will go remote in 90% of work establishments, but I agree that they should.
We'll buy (or hopefully build) eventually but not until we've landed in a "permanent" location and lived there long enough to establish local preferences. All of the getting rid of shit that we've been doing for the past 18 months is starting to really make an impact. In a nice place/area I think we could not only tolerate but enjoy 1000 square feet now. I don't even care about having a garage at least in the 5-year plan. The car is new and isn't getting modded, no need to work on it.

It all comes down to jobs. For now, one dude here in Corning is in control of our fate.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Tarspin wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:17 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:04 pm

Our spending is down to almost nothing at this point. I'm really optimistic that the pandemic will be our ticket to freedom, just waiting to see if that turns out to be true. If it does, then our spending will likely double very quickly (on housing and entertainment, not cars) and all will be well in our world.

I'm guessing that it's about 50/50 but we're due for a break.
So things I'm hearing from other commoners:

-1. house prices will drop 30%
-2. interest rates will spike
-3. this thing will slow us down HARD for three years

1. Kinda hope, but not b4 i sell pot filler palace...
2. I think the (US) government will spend us into hyperinflation before we see a prime interest rate over 5% in the next 5 years
3. at least.
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:02 am
Tarspin wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:17 am

We'll buy (or hopefully build) eventually but not until we've landed in a "permanent" location and lived there long enough to establish local preferences. All of the getting rid of shit that we've been doing for the past 18 months is starting to really make an impact. In a nice place/area I think we could not only tolerate but enjoy 1000 square feet now. I don't even care about having a garage at least in the 5-year plan. The car is new and isn't getting modded, no need to work on it.

It all comes down to jobs. For now, one dude here in Corning is in control of our fate.
Have you sent him a fruit basket?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Obviously this pandemic is affecting a bunch of things, but I don’t think it’s changing anyone alone. I think it’s helping those that have the awareness of putting their own situation in perspective.

I used to want wheels on my car because 17” :jalepenis: Denvers but now I’m like dude why? These wheels are comfy AF and I don’t need the car to be more than anything it already is (a fun, safe, versatile daily).

Cars are pretty much out of my system for me. Next car after this will NOT be new and it will either be a car I can pay in full for or a car that is affordable for my lifestyle (think :wap: ‘s :dill: for basically my car but $12k less than I paid.)

It goes a long way. We are managing to get by on mainly my income so once shit is paid of it’s just coasting on autopilot. Wifey has a 2014 Jetta that may need some maintenance coming up but no lights, and dealer saw nothing wrong with it. She barely drives it too. That’ll be paid off within the next 12-15 months.

We are even thinking of canceling cable because we don’t use it. Even though we have an arguably good deal for $110/month for all HD channels and good internet, we’d save $40/month by doing internet alone.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

razr390 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:09 am Obviously this pandemic is affecting a bunch of things, but I don’t think it’s changing anyone alone. I think it’s helping those that have the awareness of putting their own situation in perspective.

I used to want wheels on my car because 17” :jalepenis: Denvers but now I’m like dude why? These wheels are comfy AF and I don’t need the car to be more than anything it already is (a fun, safe, versatile daily).

Cars are pretty much out of my system for me. Next car after this will NOT be new and it will either be a car I can pay in full for or a car that is affordable for my lifestyle (think :wap: ‘s :dill: for basically my car but $12k less than I paid.)

It goes a long way. We are managing to get by on mainly my income so once shit is paid of it’s just coasting on autopilot. Wifey has a 2014 Jetta that may need some maintenance coming up but no lights, and dealer saw nothing wrong with it. She barely drives it too. That’ll be paid off within the next 12-15 months.

We are even thinking of canceling cable because we don’t use it. Even though we have an arguably good deal for $110/month for all HD channels and good internet, we’d save $40/month by doing internet alone.
In regards to the cable, I probably wouldn't cancel for a $40.00 savings. We save like $75.00 by having cable/internet-only tv access via Comcast. Unfortunately, that is our only option in Bumblefuck.
Last edited by Wocka Wocka on Tue May 05, 2020 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

razr390 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:09 am Obviously this pandemic is affecting a bunch of things, but I don’t think it’s changing anyone alone. I think it’s helping those that have the awareness of putting their own situation in perspective.

FAK. I always hit the quote button. I am a boomer.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 6:33 am

2. I think the (US) government will spend us into hyperinflation before we see a prime interest rate over 5% in the next 5 years
3. at least.
:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Wocka Wocka wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:33 am
In regards to the cable, I probably wouldn't cancel for a $40.00 savings. We save like $75.00 by having cable/internet-only tv access via Comcast. Unfortunately, that is our only option in Bumblefuck.
Yeah, we saved like $85 with Comcast by dropping the everything TV package. We never used it other than a couple of channels.

We got YouTube TV for $49 and have all the channels we need and can still watch or local news and channels when we travel.

You can watch on a phone or tablet, and the Android TV app works awesome on the Shield for big screen viewing. We have taken our Shield to Vegas, Hawaii, Arizona, Tennessee, Central coast of California and cabins in Tahoe. As long as there is internet we can watch our TV stations when the location may have limited TV. Also being able to dump content on a USB drive.... But that's another topic...
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 6:33 am

3. at least.
1. in parts of the country for sure, especially those that deal with oil/travel/airlines.
2. Possibly... but unlikely for another year or two
3. I would say for every 1 week we're closed 1 month economic slow down at least.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:12 am
1. in parts of the country for sure, especially those that deal with oil/travel/airlines.
3. I would say for every 1 week we're closed 1 month economic slow down at least.
Max I like this theory, it seems arguably true to how I see things in the GTA (Toronto area).

Re. #2: I think rates will battle with inflation, but inflation isn't on the radar right now. We need to be back in full swing and spending money so demand pushes supply and prices reflect. So I'm guessing that we have low rates until the economy is sure footed. We have been down and out for seven weeks and will probably slowly come out of our shells in June maybe? So a year of recovery would be :notbad:

Hey check this article out:

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/elvis- ... d-pandemic
max225

Tarspin wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:45 am
max225 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:12 am
Max I like this theory, it seems arguably true to how I see things in the GTA (Toronto area).

Re. #2: I think rates will battle with inflation, but inflation isn't on the radar right now. We need to be back in full swing and spending money so demand pushes supply and prices reflect. So I'm guessing that we have low rates until the economy is sure footed. We have been down and out for seven weeks and will probably slowly come out of our shells in June maybe? So a year of recovery would be :notbad:

Inflation HAS GOT TO happen... i mean we funneled 2.2TRILLION and counting into the economy... BUT.. everyone is staying frugal, as even indicated by this thread. But I think it is temporary. You have to actually increase the money supply in circulation by spending it before you see it trickle through all products. Yea this virus is nothing new... humanity faces this on a constant basis.

The question will be, will we climb out of it in our generation or next.
Last edited by max225 on Tue May 05, 2020 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:47 am
Tarspin wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:45 am

Inflation HAD GOT TO happen... i mean we funneled 2.2TRILLION and counting into the economy... BUT.. everyone is staying frugal, as even indicated by this thread. But I think it is temporary. You have to actually increase the money supply in circulation by spending it before you see it trickle through all products. Yea this virus is nothing new... humanity faces this on a constant basis.

Nice to hear your view on the inflation piece, sounds like we both see it the same way.

By climb out do you mean go back to normal operation or do you mean paying off the debt? One to two generations is a LONG time! 😜😢😢😢
max225

Tarspin wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:01 pm
max225 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:47 am

Inflation HAD GOT TO happen... i mean we funneled 2.2TRILLION and counting into the economy... BUT.. everyone is staying frugal, as even indicated by this thread. But I think it is temporary. You have to actually increase the money supply in circulation by spending it before you see it trickle through all products. Yea this virus is nothing new... humanity faces this on a constant basis.

Nice to hear your view on the inflation piece, sounds like we both see it the same way.

By climb out do you mean go back to normal operation or do you mean paying off the debt? One to two generations is a LONG time! 😜😢😢😢
Well I just mean sort of return to "the way things were" but given HOW MUCH TIME has already passed for us here in cali and in my own personal case, I highly doubt we will ever return to "normal" at this point. It will be some sort of a "hybrid" and a long lasting hang over from this.

I am now going on month 3... which is frankly insane, it is highly unlikely I will step foot into the office this month, and for the rest of the year, it'll likely be at most a 3/2 schedule (in office/home) which is both good and bad. Seems like that will be a normal for the girl as well, this affects everyone differently but the adaptation is rapid. I can't think of a single area of my life that wasn't affected by the virus crap. It is very very frustrating.

The uncertainty is really unsettling me from an economics perspective, nothing here to guide us through ...
i.e is it better to spend all money now, before inflation hits?
Should be buying a home now? or will it go down? or will it go way up because my area seems unaffected by the virus for now...

Questions that have no answers, and I am tired of waiting, because this isn't a 2 week blip...
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:12 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:01 pm

Well I just mean sort of return to "the way things were" but given HOW MUCH TIME has already passed for us here in cali and in my own personal case, I highly doubt we will ever return to "normal" at this point. It will be some sort of a "hybrid" and a long lasting hang over from this.

I am now going on month 3... which is frankly insane, it is highly unlikely I will step foot into the office this month, and for the rest of the year, it'll likely be at most a 3/2 schedule (in office/home) which is both good and bad. Seems like that will be a normal for the girl as well, this affects everyone differently but the adaptation is rapid. I can't think of a single area of my life that wasn't affected by the virus crap. It is very very frustrating.

The uncertainty is really unsettling me from an economics perspective, nothing here to guide us through ...
i.e is it better to spend all money now, before inflation hits?
Should be buying a home now? or will it go down? or will it go way up because my area seems unaffected by the virus for now...

Questions that have no answers, and I am tired of waiting, because this isn't a 2 week blip...
I feel the same way and don't think we're wrong to feel this way. Hybrid work/home schedule for a while for sure, good and bad for sure. I mean, our cars will last longer, commute costs lower, pollution lower.

I was just barely a home owner in 2007/8, and went through a larger level of a anxiety back then. This is my second economic crisis, so I'm less scared now, but I don't think that I can guess/predict what's coming next.

My feeling is that it will be somewhere between what we are thinking will happen and how things normally are.

My guess is that housing will take a dip, feeling 30%, guessing half of that.

Guessing that rates stay in the basement for 3 years and then climb by a quarter/half point six times so up to 3% higher but not until house prices start climbing which means that :millennial: will be back to buying the latest i-trudy every six to twelve months.

Three years of shitty times, five to ten years before house prices are hard to keep up with and we need to outbid the next guy, unless prices hit way too low and are climbing fast, at that point I'd get into the market knowing my rates will be today's rates plus 3 or 4%

I could live with that end result. Hoping it's not worse, but what 2008 taught me is that when the sky looks like it's falling we need to be sure it's not just rain.
ChrisoftheNorth

House across the street from us listed and sold last week in a day 2% above asking price (which was aggressive). So far, :aintcare:

I feel like I should be more freaked out than I am, but :aintcare: We have so much equity in the house that we could lose 30% of it's "value" (as appraised for ReFi RIGHT before the virus) and still be above water on the mortgage.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

The thing is we don't know how it will impact the future this huge unknown ...
Will office space become so cheap that it will get converted to residential property and flood the market?
Will people not need cars as often because no where to go?
Will tesla completely change the market?

Who knows... the amount of unknowns is completely unsettling however, because they can wipe out a life's worth of savings due to a mistake in a matter of months...
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I'm mostly not that concerned because we're not going to see hyperinflation. 50% a month, :nope:.

In 2007, I was making 40% less than I do now and paying $3.70 a gallon for gas. I'll be able to weather this just fine.

I am happy enough in my house. I certainly am not miserable like others, so if values plummet and I have to wait an extra 3 or 4 years to make a move after the kid graduates, no big deal.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:53 pm The thing is we don't know how it will impact the future this huge unknown ...
Will office space become so cheap that it will get converted to residential property and flood the market?

Who knows... the amount of unknowns is completely unsettling however, because they can wipe out a life's worth of savings due to a mistake in a matter of months...
I kind of think the opposite might happen with office space? I don't think the olds running a lot of companies are going to want to continue to let people WFH for forever, so they'll buy up more office space to keep them socially distant. I am probably :wrong: though. I have zero actually business knowledge.
max225

Wocka Wocka wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:05 pm
max225 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:53 pm The thing is we don't know how it will impact the future this huge unknown ...

I kind of think the opposite might happen with office space? I don't think the olds running a lot of companies are going to want to continue to let people WFH for forever, so they'll buy up more office space to keep them socially distant. I am probably :wrong: though. I have zero actually business knowledge.
Depends on where you live man, here the median age is 29 at Facebook for example. That's a far cry from "olds"
ChrisoftheNorth

Wocka Wocka wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:03 pm I'm mostly not that concerned because we're not going to see hyperinflation. 50% a month, :nope:.

In 2007, I was making 40% less than I do now and paying $3.70 a gallon for gas. I'll be able to weather this just fine.

I am happy enough in my house. I certainly am not miserable like others, so if values plummet and I have to wait an extra 3 or 4 years to make a move after the kid graduates, no big deal.
:dat:
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:07 pm
Wocka Wocka wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:05 pm

Depends on where you live man, here the median age is 29 at Facebook for example. That's a far cry from "olds"
Fair enough.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Wocka Wocka wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:09 pm
max225 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:07 pm

Fair enough.
That just means that there will be more WFH.

I doubt very very much that Facebook will change much at all. Just more or less staff, and more WFH