Define :plac:

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.

What is plac ?

Changing a working vehicle for another or adding a vehicle you don’t need?
95%
Only if it happens to be gti to Charger to gti to Charger to charger to gti to wrx
5%

Total votes: 22
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

razr390 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:09 am Obviously this pandemic is affecting a bunch of things, but I don’t think it’s changing anyone alone. I think it’s helping those that have the awareness of putting their own situation in perspective.

I used to want wheels on my car because 17” :jalepenis: Denvers but now I’m like dude why? These wheels are comfy AF and I don’t need the car to be more than anything it already is (a fun, safe, versatile daily).

Cars are pretty much out of my system for me. Next car after this will NOT be new and it will either be a car I can pay in full for or a car that is affordable for my lifestyle (think :wap: ‘s :dill: for basically my car but $12k less than I paid.)

It goes a long way. We are managing to get by on mainly my income so once shit is paid of it’s just coasting on autopilot. Wifey has a 2014 Jetta that may need some maintenance coming up but no lights, and dealer saw nothing wrong with it. She barely drives it too. That’ll be paid off within the next 12-15 months.

We are even thinking of canceling cable because we don’t use it. Even though we have an arguably good deal for $110/month for all HD channels and good internet, we’d save $40/month by doing internet alone.
Now that sports aren't even on right now, other than probably news, I would agree with that consideration. We even now have the office, friends, how i met your mother on netflix now. So I may feel like cable maybe in the direction of a dying breed.

Plus this pandemic simply gives some people a reminder of how fortunate they really are and how they don't need as much as they thought now there are less chances to get them plus shortage on some resources. Changing habits? Absolutely, especially cleaning habits, I have no doubt in that
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:07 pm
Wocka Wocka wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:05 pm

I kind of think the opposite might happen with office space? I don't think the olds running a lot of companies are going to want to continue to let people WFH for forever, so they'll buy up more office space to keep them socially distant. I am probably :wrong: though. I have zero actually business knowledge.
Depends on where you live man, here the median age is 29 at Facebook for example. That's a far cry from "olds"
:dat: our CEO nearly came out and said WFH is the new normal going forward most of the time for office drones. He’s in his 50s but most employees at my company are youngs.

IDGAF about housing prices really. If they dump for a while, I’d consider getting something closer to what we really wanted and renting it or eating the loss on the current abode but realistically I like the place and would just live in it for many years without being upset by it.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:18 pm
razr390 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:09 am Obviously this pandemic is affecting a bunch of things, but I don’t think it’s changing anyone alone. I think it’s helping those that have the awareness of putting their own situation in perspective.

I used to want wheels on my car because 17” :jalepenis: Denvers but now I’m like dude why? These wheels are comfy AF and I don’t need the car to be more than anything it already is (a fun, safe, versatile daily).

Cars are pretty much out of my system for me. Next car after this will NOT be new and it will either be a car I can pay in full for or a car that is affordable for my lifestyle (think :wap: ‘s :dill: for basically my car but $12k less than I paid.)

It goes a long way. We are managing to get by on mainly my income so once shit is paid of it’s just coasting on autopilot. Wifey has a 2014 Jetta that may need some maintenance coming up but no lights, and dealer saw nothing wrong with it. She barely drives it too. That’ll be paid off within the next 12-15 months.

We are even thinking of canceling cable because we don’t use it. Even though we have an arguably good deal for $110/month for all HD channels and good internet, we’d save $40/month by doing internet alone.
Now that sports aren't even on right now, other than probably news, I would agree with that consideration. We even now have the office, friends, how i met your mother on netflix now. So I may feel like cable maybe in the direction of a dying breed.

Plus this pandemic simply gives some people a reminder of how fortunate they really are and how they don't need as much as they thought now there are less chances to get them plus shortage on some resources. Changing habits? Absolutely, especially cleaning habits, I have no doubt in that
It will be cyclical. What a lot of people are finding now is that the sum of their streaming subscriptions is beginning to look like the old cable bill that they ditched. I'm sure a platform will arise allowing you to access multiple streaming services under one monthly subscription, and at which point, we'll have circled back to the concept of cable providers.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Huckleberry wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:28 am

It will be cyclical. What a lot of people are finding now is that the sum of their streaming subscriptions is beginning to look like the old cable bill that they ditched. I'm sure a platform will arise allowing you to access multiple streaming services under one monthly subscription, and at which point, we'll have circled back to the concept of cable providers.
youtube does this and its more than cable. but hey, its on demand so...
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

If you sign up for everything then yeah you’re not saving anything. They key is to look at what you really want to watch and sign up for only those services.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Apex wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:07 am

If you sign up for everything then yeah you’re not saving anything. They key is to look at what you really want to watch and sign up for only those services.
We pool Netflix ($15) with Family and we have Disney+ that includes Hulu and ESPN+ ($13). We pay for prime and family uses it but we get Prime Video as a byproduct so hard to calculate the actual value of it.

Don’t know many other services unless you get HBO, Apple TV, etc. which we aren’t really interested in.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

:notwrong: and I'm also not ready to ditch cable yet since I still have some use of it, like sports which are non-existent at this point. Maybe old movies and news, but thats about it
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Apex wrote:
Huckleberry wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:28 am It will be cyclical. What a lot of people are finding now is that the sum of their streaming subscriptions is beginning to look like the old cable bill that they ditched. I'm sure a platform will arise allowing you to access multiple streaming services under one monthly subscription, and at which point, we'll have circled back to the concept of cable providers.
:dat:

In our case that means none of them. Fuck TV.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:53 am

We pool Netflix ($15) with Family and we have Disney+ that includes Hulu and ESPN+ ($13). We pay for prime and family uses it but we get Prime Video as a byproduct so hard to calculate the actual value of it.

Don’t know many other services unless you get HBO, Apple TV, etc. which we aren’t really interested in.
Agreed with Apple TV being atleast "outdated" since you can still use airplay off your laptop anyway like most smart TV's, it was cool before the TV's became well....smart. The cox that we have also comes with HBO without additional charge which is pretty stellar too.

Also look up IPTV, you can still listen to any channels that you would see on your cable tv and from anywhere else in the world
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

A lot of people sign up for a specific show and then cancel when the season ends. It may work for some, but for most, it grows tiresome actively managing subscription services like a day trader's stock portfolio.

We currently have Netflix and Prime alongside cable. I don't use either nearly as much as :tits:. There are a few shows that I like such as Umbrella Academy and Stranger Things, but for the most part, I prefer episodes that can stand on their own over the serialized structure, which is why I find myself watching reruns of The Office, Law & Order, and Seinfeld more than anything.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

That is absolutely true, there's no "win-win" to sign up on hulu, Netflix, prime, YouTube red or whatever the fuck it is, etc. etc. etc. Those are roughly $60 on a monthly basis, maybe more.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:43 pm
Apex wrote:
:dat:

We have Prime, because like everyone else we just want to fatten Bezos' pockets. I want Amazon to burn for many reasons but must admit the programming is rather good. We have a Netflix login from lisa's Brother so :ohwell:

Still have basic 15 channel cable. I should cancel that shit. I never watch it. I guess it comes in handy to watch the Mummers parade and occasional local news reports. Most general TV programming is complete crap now and I don't sports so...
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:25 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:43 pm :dat:

We have Prime, because like everyone else we just want to fatten Bezos' pockets. I want Amazon to burn for many reasons but must admit the programming is rather good. We have a Netflix login from lisa's Brother so :ohwell:

Still have basic 15 channel cable. I should cancel that shit. I never watch it. I guess it comes in handy to watch the Mummers parade and occasional local news reports. Most general TV programming is complete crap now and I don't sports so...
Nah I want amazon to stay, I just want the owner to be less of a douche bag and be a little more empathetic, :ohwell:

On another note, as far as sports, I'd probably just stick going to a bar and watch it there only for games I'm really interested to watch, get my mozzarella sticks and beer or mimosa and the like. I can always watch the highlights if I'm curious afterwards.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

razr390 wrote:
Apex wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:07 am If you sign up for everything then yeah you’re not saving anything. They key is to look at what you really want to watch and sign up for only those services.

This is our exact setup. Quite honestly, even if these things got to the same overall price as cable, I’d still like them more.

No commercials.
On demand.

/bread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

We have free Hulu from :tits: spotify account. She also has Netflix, which I had tried to get her to cancel forever but now that she can't do anything, it's :nice:

I also pay for Prime but my parents also use the shipping bennies, so fuck it. Everyone loves to hate Amazon and there are some good reasons to do so, but they do a damn good job, to be honest. They have some good TV ad the purchasing is just so easy. I'm trying to use it less now :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:15 pm
max225 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:07 pm

Depends on where you live man, here the median age is 29 at Facebook for example. That's a far cry from "olds"
:dat: our CEO nearly came out and said WFH is the new normal going forward most of the time for office drones. He’s in his 50s but most employees at my company are youngs.

IDGAF about housing prices really. If they dump for a while, I’d consider getting something closer to what we really wanted and renting it or eating the loss on the current abode but realistically I like the place and would just live in it for many years without being upset by it.
:mindblown:

I want this so bad.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

I’m coming around on the WFH bennies...
It would also let me :haus: a bit further away from the office ZFG.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

how as the plac definition thread become cable/steaming talk? :wtf:

stole the :fax: netfux. Traded them D+ access for it. +$70- $96/yr = -$26/yr :alpo: trade
Have primeazong. Meh, we use amazon too much and their content is good. Have HBhoe Addon. +$144/yr +prime which I exclude.
Stolen old school powered tv antenna for HD airwave shit that works :notbad:
+$80/mo 100mbps Cable internets. :rolleyes: over priced shit.

so like $90/mo for all in entertainment. :notbad:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:07 am I’m coming around on the WFH bennies...
I am enjoying it but also very bored and unmotivated. :iono: it's a mixed blessing. My ideal gig would be like 50/50 WFH/travel.
Apex

D Griff wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:10 am
I am enjoying it but also very bored and unmotivated. :iono: it's a mixed blessing. My ideal gig would be like 50/50 WFH/travel.
My place is run by a bunch of anti-WFH olds who still go into the office every single day. :really:
I’m hoping they actually realize WFH works and shit gets done. But they’re old and will probably demand everyone back in the office. We’ll see what happens since our governor added another 30 days to the stay at home order.

I could do well with a split too, 3days WFH 2 days in the office or something. :iono:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Apex wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:12 am

My place is run by a bunch of anti-WFH olds who still go into the office every single day. :really:
I’m hoping they actually realize WFH works and shit gets done. But they’re old and will probably demand everyone back in the office. We’ll see what happens since our governor added another 30 days to the stay at home order.

I could do well with a split too, 3days WFH 2 days in the office or something. :iono:
I wish I could get a job in finance. I hate the oil industry.
ChrisoftheNorth

There's some work that I need to go into the office for...reviewing future stuff, engineering work, etc. I'd absolutely love to just go into the office when absolutely needed, but WFH the rest of the time.

I hate being in the office for 10 hours a day. I'm less productive, less engaged (bored), and have to deal with :bs: from people bothering me all day...mostly my boss who just finds work to do when he's bored or thinks we're bored.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Same situation here.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:15 am

I wish I could get a job in finance. I hate the oil industry.
Man, I've found it's really hard to change industries once you're established in one. Really :|
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:15 am

There's some work that I need to go into the office for...reviewing future stuff, engineering work, etc. I'd absolutely love to just go into the office when absolutely needed, but WFH the rest of the time.

I hate being in the office for 10 hours a day. I'm less productive, less engaged (bored), and have to deal with :bs: from people bothering me all day...mostly my boss who just finds work to do when he's bored or thinks we're bored.
:dat: is all true. I basically work 6 hour days now and get about as much done as I did in 10 at the office, plus get more done than my colleagues. It's boring though, but mostly that's just the fact that this job is fucking boring. Basically, my boss told me that due to the fact that tech support, product people, etc. benefit a ton from having access to products and equipment, sales are priority 0 for going back to the office. Our place is very much open concept, so they will probably need to spread those other people into our area, meaning we ain't going back anytime soon.