How :poor: were you?

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:46 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:28 am
Some people just aren't cut out for school, and that's OK. I've watched my mother in law dump tens of thousands into my brother in law hoping he completes his degree. He keeps skipping classes and failing. Clearly not for him, he needs to take up a trade, but she views that as "failing" for some reason.
Sounds like his heart's not in it. How old is he? Maybe he needs to just get a full time job for a year or two so he can figure himself out.
He's 26 IIRC. He won't get a job because he's convinced he's "worth more than people are paying". Easy to say when you can sit around and live rent free with your parents forever.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:01 am

Sounds like his heart's not in it. How old is he? Maybe he needs to just get a full time job for a year or two so he can figure himself out.
He's 26 IIRC. He won't get a job because he's convinced he's "worth more than people are paying". Easy to say when you can sit around and live rent free with your parents forever.
Same age as me then, but I didn't really have that option I guess.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I recall moving back to NC in 2011 and getting my first salaried job as an AV tech for this production company touring with NASCAR, I made $35K/year and at the time thought I was hot shit with my :fancy: degree and the pay was kind of insulting. I had to take it anyway :doe: , or stay in Miami contracting. The money was definitely shit considering I averaged about 60 hours/week at that place, but you have to do that stuff early in your career pretty much unless you're an engineer. Only other jobs I know of with high starting salaries are MBA/CPA type gigs at the big consulting firms... those jobs suck but quick trajectory to $100K+.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:17 am
I recall moving back to NC in 2011 and getting my first salaried job as an AV tech for this production company touring with NASCAR, I made $35K/year and at the time thought I was hot shit with my :fancy: degree and the pay was kind of insulting. I had to take it anyway :doe: , or stay in Miami contracting. The money was definitely shit considering I averaged about 60 hours/week at that place, but you have to do that stuff early in your career pretty much unless you're an engineer. Only other jobs I know of with high starting salaries are MBA/CPA type gigs at the big consulting firms... those jobs suck but quick trajectory to $100K+.
My first job in 07 was $35k in a call center (sales), then my second was the same in California. At the time, I was just lucky to have a job and didn't really complain about the lack of money despite having a freshly minded business degree. I figured it out because I had to. You're only worth what someone is willing to pay you.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:23 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:17 am

My first job in 07 was $35k in a call center (sales), then my second was the same in California. At the time, I was just lucky to have a job and didn't really complain about the lack of money despite having a freshly minded business degree. I figured it out because I had to. You're only worth what someone is willing to pay you.
:dat: I think I was a bit :disgust: on it because my hourly as a contract sound guy was so much more... but salary has its perks.

Second job was also around $35K but at least an easy 40/week. I started the Bang Bus at $50K and felt :mindblown: rich at the time at 25 years old in 2014.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

:rolleyes:
Fucking :millennial:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:54 am
:dat:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Then what the fuck is he gonna do, if he couldn't move into any direction with his education, which will open more doors for jobs?

Either work or go to school for the sake of being successful, even though it is doable without as long as you have the right mindset.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I call those people real losers, I don't know why, but I just hate seeing those people doing ABSOLUTELY nothing and live off mom and pop.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:19 pm

I call those people real losers, I don't know why, but I just hate seeing those people doing ABSOLUTELY nothing and live off mom and pop.
:crang:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:07 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:19 pm

except he graduated, got a job, his own place, but lacking on other things.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

If you have no job, you are “worth” zero dollars as far as that goes... only one way to become more marketable, go out and get some experience, even if it’s shitty experience. My first week with a job, age 15, I had to clean up :poop: in the bathroom of the Outback I worked at.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

If you have no job, you are “worth” zero dollars as far as that goes... only one way to become more marketable, go out and get some experience, even if it’s shitty experience. My first week with a job, age 15, I had to clean up :poop: in the bathroom of the Outback I worked at.
wap

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:31 pm
wap wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:07 pm

except he graduated, got a job, his own place, but lacking on other things.
Eventually, after finally moving out of mama's basement.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

I've given this thread a read. And I have given this :bread: some thought.

I can't relate to most of the stories shared here. This thread actually gives me a lot of :fuckyeah: . It shows the american "can do" dream is alive and well. Race, religion, politics be damned. We are some resilient mother fuckers and that makes me proud to share a country with you all, as diverse as we are.

The common thread of childhood is struggle though. I may not relate, but I can empathize. As the fuckn :fax: pointed out, I am blinded the reflection of my own silver spoon. :yeahok: Sure, now is a rosy picture of ray ray waxing away copart fleets and fancy vacations and my mom buying cuntry clubz for fictional golf games. However, that is not the real picture or history. Rayray spends every penny he has made and then some while my mom has lived life as a near ultra :scrooge: indulging in only a few reclusive hobbies like rare doll hoarding and :waxer: antigue purchases to fill some fucked up void in her soul from a shit poo childhood. Rayray is doing more or less the same coming from an abusive/alcoholic home and leaving on his own at 16 to later build a small house at 18 (the one he still lives intoday) with his bare hands. My parents hate each other and have never been together more my entire life. They struggled and fought always putting me first while spending ever penny they had in 1990 against each other in court, on me...

I went to the :waxer: free thought "liberal arts" grade school til 5th. I moved to a "land of milk and honey" pub school in 6th which was a holy fuckn shit experience. In a full role reversal I was the racial minority and bullied relentlessly. I rode the bus through a trailer park everyday coming from the "big house" in the area while being ridiculed for my blond hair, fair skin and walmart clothes. The irony being my mom prolly made what 5 families made in the :mahtroy: area yet I was the "poorest" dressed kid with zero name brand shoes or clothes to be found. Was pretty fucking terrible. At 10 years old you dont really comprehend wealthy, but I surely never went without. I was in an actual fight every couple of weeks with fuck faces for the next 2 years. I hit my breaking point in summer before 8th grade, and became a resentful SOB. I refused to attend the first day of class at that hell hole of a school.

My saving grace was my mom agreeing and searching for a nearby boarding school. My luck was a catholic high school had a dorm program for 8-12th grade. They started 2 weeks later than pub shithole. $12k/yr tuition and I was shipped over there. Was prolly the best thing that could happen for my youth. Made new friends, learned independence etc. Got to be the nerdy kid I was at heart in a fairly rich white people school. Found enough of an identity that when the program closed in 10th grade I came back to the land of "milk and honey" and
new who I was with a sense of security I didn't poses prior. I did my 2 years at the local flagship pub highschool. Place was laughable.

College was a breeze with several scholarships and I did my undergrad with minimal support. Student loan and all covered on my white privilege card and the rest is history. Been on my own since 21ish. My future would be real :troywax: if I count the fortune my mom has amassed from being a workaholic recluse. But I dont. That fortune comes at a steep price of strained relationshit, many arguments of "what is it worth?" and "you dont know happiness". Sadly I have barely had a tangible financial benefit of her wealth, excluding a :waxer: 3 year stint in boarding school and (1) 2001 Jetta purchase.

tl;dr

White Privilege, It's everywhere you want to be. :millennial:
Life is hard. For some, its harder.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

dubshow wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:33 pm I've given this thread a read. And I have given this :bread: some thought.

I can't relate to most of the stories shared here. This thread actually gives me a lot of :fuckyeah: . It shows the american "can do" dream is alive and well. Race, religion, politics be damned. We are some resilient mother fuckers and that makes me proud to share a country with you all, as diverse as we are.

The common thread of childhood is struggle though. I may not relate, but I can empathize. As the fuckn :fax: pointed out, I am blinded the reflection of my own silver spoon. :yeahok: Sure, now is a rosy picture of ray ray waxing away copart fleets and fancy vacations and my mom buying cuntry clubz for fictional golf games. However, that is not the real picture or history. Rayray spends every penny he has made and then some while my mom has lived life as a near ultra :scrooge: indulging in only a few reclusive hobbies like rare doll hoarding and :waxer: antigue purchases to fill some fucked up void in her soul from a shit poo childhood. Rayray is doing more or less the same coming from an abusive/alcoholic home and leaving on his own at 16 to later build a small house at 18 (the one he still lives intoday) with his bare hands. My parents hate each other and have never been together more my entire life. They struggled and fought always putting me first while spending ever penny they had in 1990 against each other in court, on me...

I went to the :waxer: free thought "liberal arts" grade school til 5th. I moved to a "land of milk and honey" pub school in 6th which was a holy fuckn shit experience. In a full role reversal I was the racial minority and bullied relentlessly. I rode the bus through a trailer park everyday coming from the "big house" in the area while being ridiculed for my blond hair, fair skin and walmart clothes. The irony being my mom prolly made what 5 families made in the :mahtroy: area yet I was the "poorest" dressed kid with zero name brand shoes or clothes to be found. Was pretty fucking terrible. At 10 years old you dont really comprehend wealthy, but I surely never went without. I was in an actual fight every couple of weeks with fuck faces for the next 2 years. I hit my breaking point in summer before 8th grade, and became a resentful SOB. I refused to attend the first day of class at that hell hole of a school.

My saving grace was my mom agreeing and searching for a nearby boarding school. My luck was a catholic high school had a dorm program for 8-12th grade. They started 2 weeks later than pub shithole. $12k/yr tuition and I was shipped over there. Was prolly the best thing that could happen for my youth. Made new friends, learned independence etc. Got to be the nerdy kid I was at heart in a fairly rich white people school. Found enough of an identity that when the program closed in 10th grade I came back to the land of "milk and honey" and
new who I was with a sense of security I didn't poses prior. I did my 2 years at the local flagship pub highschool. Place was laughable.

College was a breeze with several scholarships and I did my undergrad with minimal support. Student loan and all covered on my white privilege card and the rest is history. Been on my own since 21ish. My future would be real :troywax: if I count the fortune my mom has amassed from being a workaholic recluse. But I dont. That fortune comes at a steep price of strained relationshit, many arguments of "what is it worth?" and "you dont know happiness". Sadly I have barely had a tangible financial benefit of her wealth, excluding a :waxer: 3 year stint in boarding school and (1) 2001 Jetta purchase.

tl;dr

Good read, thanks for sharing man. You worked hard for your shit, don't let your pride slip when comparing with others. Financial success is really two things, effort x time. Laughable are those who don't put in either of the two key elements and then complain that life isn't fair you're killing it and will do better with more time.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

dubshow wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:33 pm .

tl;dr

:notbad:
brain go brrrrrr
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Ah... I remember those days.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:26 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:23 am
:dat: I think I was a bit :disgust: on it because my hourly as a contract sound guy was so much more... but salary has its perks.

Second job was also around $35K but at least an easy 40/week. I started the Bang Bus at $50K and felt :mindblown: rich at the time at 25 years old in 2014.
same time frame as myself. age 21-24 making $19/hr. At 25I caught a break to make $39,995 ( :wtf: with precision) salary at the "big firm". Was :disgust: 60 hour weeks and weekends. Left at 26 to make $62,400. I just found my OG offer letter in email 6/12/2013 :lol: $62k/yr was life changing money.

In 2008 I was a junior in college. The market crash was happening. I couldnt even work for free (intern) at an arch firm for experience. :disgust:
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

dubshow wrote:
D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:26 am :dat: I think I was a bit :disgust: on it because my hourly as a contract sound guy was so much more... but salary has its perks.

same time frame as myself. age 21-24 making $19/hr. At 25I caught a break to make $39,995 ( :wtf: with precision) salary at the "big firm". Was :disgust: 60 hour weeks and weekends. Left at 26 to make $62,400. I just found my OG offer letter in email 6/12/2013 Image $62k/yr was life changing money.

In 2008 I was a junior in college. The market crash was happening. I couldnt even work for free (intern) at an arch firm for experience. :disgust:
Know those feels...I graduated in 09 and was lucky to have my 35hr/week job that paid $14/hr. Most of my peers were unemployed. Now I have 2-3 more years experience on the resume which goes a lot farther.