Griffdog House Search

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

razr390 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:02 am Griff even though you mentioned your CF would go to :tits: private school that she works at, ensuring you’re in/near a good school district is imperative for resale value especially when families with CF that don’t go to public school want to buy your house in the future.
not necessarily. See, if its in a 'meh' district now, then its worth what its worth, even when its in a 'meh' district in the future.

Where people get FUCKED is when districts change on a whim, from a 'good' to a 'meh' or 'bad'
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

D Griff wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:52 am I've never bought/seriously considered it before (thought about places back in 2012 when :haus: like the first one here were like $120K and didn't :doit: sadly). and it's quite scary thinking of parting with such a huge sum we've worked hard to save. It feels like a big risk just flushing all ze money down the pisser but I guess there's no better alternative.
Bruh, that right there tells me your market is super inflated and you should pump the brakes on the whole house thing......
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

razr390 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:02 am Griff even though you mentioned your CF would go to :tits: private school that she works at, ensuring you’re in/near a good school district is imperative for resale value especially when families with CF that don’t go to public school want to buy your house in the future.
Sage advice, a good school district is a sign of good people, and that builds upon itself.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Re: rent vs buy, the way I see it if you can mortgage for anywhere close to the cost of rent then buy the place. 10 yrs from now the mortgage is cheaper and rent is way more expensive. It's a no brainer. :iono:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Tarspin wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:03 pm Re: rent vs buy, the way I see it if you can mortgage for anywhere close to the cost of rent then buy the place. 10 yrs from now the mortgage is cheaper and rent is way more expensive. It's a no brainer. :iono:
Maybe, but you also might be in griff's exact position and could loose that big down payment in an evaporation of equity from a correction... And rent might go down if that happens too.
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:03 pm Re: rent vs buy, the way I see it if you can mortgage for anywhere close to the cost of rent then buy the place. 10 yrs from now the mortgage is cheaper and rent is way more expensive. It's a no brainer. :iono:
That is the thing... when I moved back here I paid $600/month for a two bed in a better area than I now pay $1400 for a one bed. Mortgage will be like $1400. Other option is staying in our apt, of which the rent will go up, or renting a place we want for like $1800+.

Re the schools thing, the district only stands to get better so not really a concern with resale.

One thing no one here seems to get: WE ARE NOT TRYING TO INVEST, WE ARE TRYING TO LIVE SOMEWHERE WE ACTUALLY ENJOY SO FUCK OFF.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

A little aggressive... but all the :wrong: from people who have done the same exact thing ( :fax: ) gets old when our apartment prevents me from doing much of what I really enjoy and it’s expensive.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:57 am
That is the thing... when I moved back here I paid $600/month for a two bed in a better area than I now pay $1400 for a one bed. Mortgage will be like $1400. Other option is staying in our apt, of which the rent will go up, or renting a place we want for like $1800+.

Re the schools thing, the district only stands to get better so not really a concern with resale.

One thing no one here seems to get: WE ARE NOT TRYING TO INVEST, WE ARE TRYING TO LIVE SOMEWHERE WE ACTUALLY ENJOY SO FUCK OFF.
Wether or not you are trying to or not is not the issue, because the fact is that it is either an investment or a decision to not invest. That's just the way the economy works. And like it or not you have to make peace with it.

I'm not trying to be a dick just offer perspective.

Take my situation. Yayayya, fuck houses, this one will built is it forever, never moving, that's was my outlook. I made peice with flushing 50k on it to get what we wanted because it was the 'forever home'.
Well, now I'm fucking over Louisiana and my job in general and want to fuck off in a few years to somewhere else, Tennessee if possible. The amount of money we might loose makes me slightly sick to think about. Unless a potential buyer recognizes our house is newer and what it was built for vs the homes around it...we are hosed. We are still underwater based on price per square foot in that neighborhood.

Final thoughts: homeownership has been fucking awful for me over my life. It's seemingly some how fucked me over money wise and added stress for various reasons. It's kept me anchored to a place I don't particularly like and didn't really want to end up. Take those things into consideration as well.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:09 am A little aggressive... but all the :wrong: from people who have done the same exact thing ( :fax: ) gets old when our apartment prevents me from doing much of what I really enjoy and it’s expensive.
Yes, I see it playing out for you similarly to how it did for me. Your :tits: is pushing the house thing.

I caved and should not have. If we have just stayed put I'd be well over 50% equity in the old place, looking at less than 7 years left on the loan, cheaper actual house note, closer to work, the area is only getting better, and be looking at taking decent money with us vs loosing nearly all of our equity... again. It was probably the worst money move I have made in my life.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:28 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:24 am

Wether or not you are trying to or not is not the issue, because the fact is that it is either an investment or a decision to not invest. That's just the way the economy works. And like it or not you have to make peace with it.

I'm not trying to be a dick just offer perspective.

Take my situation. Yayayya, fuck houses, this one will built is it forever, never moving, that's was my outlook. I made peice with flushing 50k on it to get what we wanted because it was the 'forever home'.
Well, now I'm fucking over Louisiana and my job in general and want to fuck off in a few years to somewhere else, Tennessee if possible. The amount of money we might loose makes me slightly sick to think about. Unless a potential buyer recognizes our house is newer and what it was built for vs the homes around it...we are hosed. We are still underwater based on price per square foot in that neighborhood.

Final thoughts: homeownership has been fucking awful for me over my life. It's seemingly some how fucked me over money wise and added stress for various reasons. It's kept me anchored to a place I don't particularly like and didn't really want to end up. Take those things into consideration as well.
BR is not, never had been, nor never will be one of the fastest economically developing places in the country. Charlotte IS and WILL be. Your experience, while incredibly relevant to you, is irrelevant on the coasts.
Charlotte is hardly a coastal city.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:44 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:41 am

Charlotte is hardly a coastal city.
Yeah Atlanta isn't on the east coast either. Just stop man.
Ok
:nevermind:
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I guess that I've always had good luck with real estate, it's definitely area dependant and if I renting right now I would have been pay double what it costed when I got my first home. My next mortgage on a detached house will cost me as much as a one or two bedroom rental. Louisiana has some disadvantages which keep the real estate prices lower than in high demand spots in the US, which definitely sucks for the fax man or anyone else buying a house there. On the flip side the cost of a beautiful home in Louisiana Rivals that of a single bedroom condo in California and to me that's a win.

I personally wouldn't want to tell anyone what to do with their money but don't mind sharing things that work well for me with a disclaimer being that it doesn't always work for everyone.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Rental costs aren't going down anytime soon, plus in 20 yrs the place will be paid off. Makes sense to buy something you can do all things with (garage shit, crotchfruit shit). Time flies.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Griffdog 2020: This :wrong: 's For You.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:31 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:09 am A little aggressive... but all the :wrong: from people who have done the same exact thing ( :fax: ) gets old when our apartment prevents me from doing much of what I really enjoy and it’s expensive.
Yes, I see it playing out for you similarly to how it did for me. Your :tits: is pushing the house thing.

I caved and should not have. If we have just stayed put I'd be well over 50% equity in the old place, looking at less than 7 years left on the loan, cheaper actual house note, closer to work, the area is only getting better, and be looking at taking decent money with us vs loosing nearly all of our equity... again. It was probably the worst money move I have made in my life.
It's cool man, I know you're trying to help, it just comes off as :wrong: sometimes and can be aggravating. I do appreciate input and understand your perspective.

On the one hand, you're right, my woman wants the house, nice kitchen, typical HGTV stuff (which she isn't :wrong: for liking). She also had :alpo: luck previously, buying a place she couldn't really afford with basically nothing down which netted her a 50% profit in four years and walking away with a large chunk of change at the end ($60K) plus lower monthly overhead during than we have now renting. We are both fully aware this is unlikely to happen again.

The other side of it is me :doe: , I really, really want a garage, car shit is my number one hobby, something I spend a ton of time on and it would be exponentially easier/more enjoyable living somewhere with a proper place to work. I also go mountain biking weekly and our current setup requires me to walk five minutes to our storage room, get the rack, five minutes to my car, five minutes back to the storage room for the bike, then all over again later. I also play tuba in a band here and it's the same thing. I also can't practice music in the apartment easily. Definitely "first world" issues, but still, all of them add up to really hampering things I enjoy doing.

So that leaves us with either renting somewhere else for way more, :dealwithit: or buying. Nothing is perfect but given the crazy growth our city is experiencing, I doubt things will go full :nuke: again. :tits: is not very on board with leaving this area, and it offers a ton for me too - my aging parents live here, we have some great friends, access to multiple race tracks/car shit, access to Appalachian Mountains in a couple hours, beaches in three hours, local MTB trails, live music, tons that we enjoy.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

This is why I keep my house shopping/aspirations to myself.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Melon wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:18 am This is why I keep my house shopping/aspirations to myself.
:mahman:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Go for it griff. If you ain’t happy with where you live and can make a different place happen then do it.

I’d probably shy away from HOAs. A house that has a good layout in an area you like but needs some work could be a fun thing to own and make your own. Most house stuff just takes time and isn’t exactly hard.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:11 am

Rental costs aren't going down anytime soon, plus in 20 yrs the place will be paid off. Makes sense to buy something you can do all things with (garage shit, crotchfruit shit). Time flies.
This is definitely our thought process as well. The hope is to get something that will serve us well for the foreseeable future, I have zero desire to try to flip anything. I don't want to do the work, take the risk, or live in a shithole/construction zone.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:48 am I've got no regerts about buying a :haus:

Happy to have my own space, my own place, and not be paying money into something I'll never get a return out of.

Just choose wisely.
It's tricky in a party of two trying to agree on things, but we'll find something good.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:05 am Agreed with :fax: - I'd be wary of buying right now unless you're buying to stay for a long time. Keep that in mind.

Also, if you're going in to buy and stay for a long time - buy a :haus: with a garage. It'll increase the staying power.

Townhouse looks nice, but research the HOA, and shared walls... :notsure: :doomed:

Ranch is nice but no garage. :flaccid:

Loft home looks interesting.
I've pretty much lived in townhouses nearly all my life here. While I can confirm about the disadvantages of shared walls, it really depends on your neighbors in particular. I recently moved out of my old place, and my next door neighbors have screaming kids, so it does get irritating as I can hear them scream while watching TV, etc. With my new neighbors, they're nice and quiet, never had issues regarding about noise. Really the "worst" is when my indian neighbors have huge gatherings, they can get noisy, sometimes I can smell :dat: nice curry and tika masala :drool:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:03 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:48 am I've got no regerts about buying a :haus:

Happy to have my own space, my own place, and not be paying money into something I'll never get a return out of.

Just choose wisely.
It's tricky in a party of two trying to agree on things, but we'll find something good.
Yea, that can be tough. Just stay firm in what you want...garage. Which isn't unrealistic at all IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:26 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:03 pm

Yea, that can be tough. Just stay firm in what you want...garage. Which isn't unrealistic at all IMO.
I definitely am and she is cool/accepting of it, she definitely realizes she's the harder one to please in this party.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Being happy with where you live, the place you retreat to every damn evening, is tremendously important and you really can't put a doll hair value on that, IMO. If your current place isn't working for you both, if you're got the scratch, and it appears that you do, why the fuck wouldn't you improve your life by getting a nicer :haus: ? Plus, you (and I presume your :tits: ) are not idiots and are likely not going to do something stupid that you'll regret in a couple years. I say jump in with both feet, and with both eyes open, and you'll be fine, and happier.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:34 pm Being happy with where you live, the place you retreat to every damn evening, is tremendously important and you really can't put a doll hair value on that, IMO. If your current place isn't working for you both, if you're got the scratch, and it appears that you do, why the fuck wouldn't you improve your life by getting a nicer :haus: ? Plus, you (and I presume your :tits: ) are not idiots and are likely not going to do something stupid that you'll regret in a couple years. I say jump in with both feet, and with both eyes open, and you'll be fine, and happier.
:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.