The Ultimate DD

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:25 pm
4zilch wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:21 pm Ye olde DFD headlight circle jerk.

Never change DFD; never change
So I'm not the only one who doesn't GAF?

When I was getting the BMW many here ranted about how terrible their halogens are and :iono: , it seems fine to me. The :poorvette: is not great, but every other car I've had made after 1995 seems fine to me.
Maybe I don’t drive at night enough to GAF, and I have had LEDs on a motorcycle (Multistrada) and I can say they were impressive. But not enough for it to play into a purchase decision.

My god how have any of us survived this long with those inferior poor people headlights.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

4zilch wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:54 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:25 pm

So I'm not the only one who doesn't GAF?

When I was getting the BMW many here ranted about how terrible their halogens are and :iono: , it seems fine to me. The :poorvette: is not great, but every other car I've had made after 1995 seems fine to me.
Maybe I don’t drive at night enough to GAF, and I have had LEDs on a motorcycle (Multistrada) and I can say they were impressive. But not enough for it to play into a purchase decision.

My god how have any of us survived this long with those inferior poor people headlights.
I think it's a matter of ignorance is bliss.

The headlights on my Colorado are a joke...legit puts out as much light as the :jeep: does with just the accent lights on. It was "fine" but then you drive something with good headlights and it's really tough to go back. Here where the roads are garbage and there's hoards of animals hell bent on self destruction via vehicular impact, good headlights make a difference in how confident I am driving. Not so much around our house, which is well developed, but when we're out in the middle of nowhere camping or whatever...which is frequent.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I think brub has decent headlights.

When they aren't pointed to the inside of the front bumper
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

LED headlights are why I went with the Rabbit GTI instead of the S.

Until the GTI, my GTO's headlights were the best I've experienced and they are halogen projectors. I just replaced the bulbs with 5k HIDs.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:47 am
4zilch wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:54 am

The headlights on my Colorado are a joke...legit puts out as much light as the :jeep: does with just the accent lights on. It was "fine" but then you drive something with good headlights and it's really tough to go back. Here where the roads are garbage and there's hoards of animals hell bent on self destruction via vehicular impact, good headlights make a difference in how confident I am driving. Not so much around our house, which is well developed, but when we're out in the middle of nowhere camping or whatever...which is frequent.
I mean, I've experienced excellent LED headlights, and have lived in big deer country my entire life. I'm not suggesting that they aren't superior, I just don't care enough to base a purchasing decision on them.

Like a heated steering wheel - nice to have, but not a requirement....
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

4zilch wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:35 am

I mean, I've experienced excellent LED headlights, and have lived in big deer country my entire life. I'm not suggesting that they aren't superior, I just don't care enough to base a purchasing decision on them.

:dat:

I don't drive a ton in the dark and when I do, I live in an urban area... it's pretty light everywhere. I do occasionally find myself road tripping at night, but interstates have reflective paint. If I lived in the country and drove at night a lot, maybe I'd feel differently.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

TIL: Headlights are useless.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

If you have decent "base" lights, I can agree with you if you just don't care. BUT.... The Jeep lights are complete dogshit if you don't get the LEDs. Seriously, in our JK there were many occasions where I questioned if the lights were broken or working. They didn't light up shit. The JL's LEDs are an amazing upgrade and if I had gotten a chance to compare them before I ordered mine with the LEDs I would have ordered them if they were an option that cost 2x as much as they do and were $2,000. The JK was pretty dangerous and you had to use your high beams a lot on very dark mountain roads.

On the ZR2 I agree with detroit, they are terrible too. I seriously think that is the only real complaint I have on the truck, and the aftermarket options don't seem that good either so I feel stuck with garbage.

These really shouldn't be the norm anymore. In this day and age good lights are not that expensive and they can be argued to be as big of a safety feature as airbags and seatbelts as far as I am concerned.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:47 am

If you have decent "base" lights, I can agree with you if you just don't care. BUT.... The Jeep lights are complete dogshit if you don't get the LEDs. Seriously, in our JK there were many occasions where I questioned if the lights were broken or working. They didn't light up shit. The JL's LEDs are an amazing upgrade and if I had gotten a chance to compare them before I ordered mine with the LEDs I would have ordered them if they were an option that cost 2x as much as they do and were $2,000. The JK was pretty dangerous and you had to use your high beams a lot on very dark mountain roads.

On the ZR2 I agree with detroit, they are terrible too. I seriously think that is the only real complaint I have on the truck, and the aftermarket options don't seem that good either so I feel stuck with garbage.

These really shouldn't be the norm anymore. In this day and age good lights are not that expensive and they can be argued to be as big of a safety feature as airbags and seatbelts as far as I am concerned.
I've heard that the base headlights have improved drastically in the JL from the JK. I'm curious to experience them in the JT...especially since I'll be able to do back-to-back compares with the LEDs on the JL.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:54 am

I've heard that the base headlights have improved drastically in the JL from the JK. I'm curious to experience them in the JT...especially since I'll be able to do back-to-back compares with the LEDs on the JL.
This assumes you're going to live beyond the ride home from picking up the JT. Those lights are so dangerous they shouldn't be legal. Please make sure you pick up the JT mid-day on a clear and sunny day. Don't take any unnecessary risks out there just to look cool and impress people. Stay safe. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Apex

My 4TLR retrofit made a huge difference, only real pain in the ass part is the 147 screws and bolts that hold the front bumper/grill on.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:04 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:54 am
This assumes you're going to live beyond the ride home from picking up the JT. Those lights are so dangerous they shouldn't be legal. Please make sure you pick up the JT mid-day on a clear and sunny day. Don't take any unnecessary risks out there just to look cool and impress people. Stay safe. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
I like living life on the edge. Thanks bro.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:40 am
Apex wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:07 am

My 4TLR retrofit made a huge difference, only real pain in the ass part is the 147 screws and bolts that hold the front bumper/grill on.
My Amazon LEDs are going strong in the JKU.

$130 was a strong investment. So :wasteful:
:megusta: