The Ultimate DD

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

The ongoing :truk: debates here, and my personal disdain for :truk: lyfe got me thinking... if you could daily anything, what would it be? Let's say budget isn't really an issue - you could afford a truck for hauling when needed, a track/autox car if desired, a side-by-side or Wrangler for wheeling if you do that, etc. So this would just be the car you drive to work ever day. It could be a two seater, a four door... bear in mind you'd have to live with roads in your area, drivers in your area, the normal dings/damage a DD receives.

I think mine would be a 981 Cayman S :manuel: . No scrape like a 'vette. They're kind of special but not so much so that racking on the miles would be a travesty. I never take people to lunch or anything like that so a two seater would be fine. They can take a trailer hitch for a bike rack. They're relatively decent on gas. They sound cool and are amazing fun to drive but still super luxurious.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

:gorf: bro.

Fun, relatively quick, not too expensive to where I wouldn’t want to park it on a street.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

If I gave no shits at all about the car's condition after, I would just drive my 911 daily.

I really have been thinking about that 981 Cayman GT4 I saw on Tuesday at the dealer. Too bad they wouldn't take a lowball (realistic) offer on it. If I thought they might be open to it I would give them a number and possibly buy it.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

SAWCE wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:54 am :gorf: bro.

Fun, relatively quick, not too expensive to where I wouldn’t want to park it on a street.
Can't tuna it. Crank walk. Engine grenade. :sad:

I might take my woes to the VW chat.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

E63 maybe, or the Rebel TRX
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

dubshow wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:02 am

:ohdang: I didn't realize you were having :gorf: ragrets... Tell me more, why can't you t00n?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

To your point, you're right, it would be annoying getting a Cayman S damaged in parking and such (not too much of a thing for me, but I do live in an apartment).

The other thing I'd really love is a Civic Type R. Total head turner, I love the hideous looks. Still fuel efficient, comfy, fun.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

Honestly, a FS Silverado or RAM with steel bumpers. A smaller car might make more sense, but given how many people in my area are on their damn phones, putting on makeup, eating, reading, etc. I'd rather have the larger vehicle to absorb the impact that's likely to happen.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

The ultimate is working from home. Next is working next door to home and walking. Failing a situation like that, with no budget or parking or maintenance concerns? BMW M6 V10+6MT I guess, maybe an NSX-T, dunno I'd have to actually drive some of the more exotic things like the NSX/Evora/Ferraris and see how much of a loud PITA they are...
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:49 am The ongoing :truk: debates here, and my personal disdain for :truk: lyfe got me thinking... if you could daily anything, what would it be? Let's say budget isn't really an issue - you could afford a truck for hauling when needed, a track/autox car if desired, a side-by-side or Wrangler for wheeling if you do that, etc. So this would just be the car you drive to work ever day. It could be a two seater, a four door... bear in mind you'd have to live with roads in your area, drivers in your area, the normal dings/damage a DD receives.

I think mine would be a 981 Cayman S :manuel: . No scrape like a 'vette. They're kind of special but not so much so that racking on the miles would be a travesty. I never take people to lunch or anything like that so a two seater would be fine. They can take a trailer hitch for a bike rack. They're relatively decent on gas. They sound cool and are amazing fun to drive but still super luxurious.
G Wagen. Fits everything, great for off roads, relatively rare and unique, and hammer down fun.

If given only one vehicle that would be my choice.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:09 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:49 am The ongoing :truk: debates here, and my personal disdain for :truk: lyfe got me thinking... if you could daily anything, what would it be? Let's say budget isn't really an issue - you could afford a truck for hauling when needed, a track/autox car if desired, a side-by-side or Wrangler for wheeling if you do that, etc. So this would just be the car you drive to work ever day. It could be a two seater, a four door... bear in mind you'd have to live with roads in your area, drivers in your area, the normal dings/damage a DD receives.

G Wagen. Fits everything, great for off roads, relatively rare and unique, and hammer down fun.

So is AZN the husband of this relationship? I thought this was a CA housewife car
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:13 am
max225 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:09 am

So is AZN the husband of this relationship? I thought this was a CA housewife car
:aintcare: I just got a tiny clown car that one of my female Interns drives. I obviously don’t care enough about vehicle stereotypes to completely sway my decision here.

G Wagens are the ultimate DD for me. Or maybe a fullretard Range Rover.... nah still G Wagen.

The other one would possibly be the RR Cullinan, I’d go through McDonald’s drive through with it and park it at Walmart like I do with the m3.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Then there's this...

CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:18 am

:aintcare: I just got a tiny clown car that one of my female Interns drives. I obviously don’t care enough about vehicle stereotypes to completely sway my decision here.

G Wagens are the ultimate DD for me. Or maybe a fullretard Range Rover.... nah still G Wagen.

The other one would possibly be the RR Cullinan, I’d go through McDonald’s drive through with it and park it at Walmart like I do with the m3.
The new G is supposed to be really great anyways. That's certainly not a bad option at all.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:08 am The ultimate is working from home. Next is working next door to home and walking. Failing a situation like that, with no budget or parking or maintenance concerns? BMW M6 V10+6MT I guess, maybe an NSX-T, dunno I'd have to actually drive some of the more exotic things like the NSX/Evora/Ferraris and see how much of a loud PITA they are...
Yeah I mean the point was the budget isn't the main concern within reason BUT something like a V10 M6 would strand you regularly, be in the shop often, etc which still kind of make it a crappy DD? NSX would be pretty damn cool I feel like and maybe reliable/usable enough to work. Hard to say without sampling them. Evora would also be sweet.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:06 am
dubshow wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:02 am

:ohdang: I didn't realize you were having :gorf: ragrets... Tell me more, why can't you t00n?
I really do like the car. I do. Its great. I take everything I read on car forums with a solid dose of :salt: as well.

BUT, there are some unsettling things emerging as I dip my toe back into places like vwvortex to see what people are doing. I have a pretty long list of mildly modded cars and never had any terrible problems.

I fear the :gorf: is designed near limit. Which makes no sense as the mk6 platform in GTI and R could hold 400hp pretty regularly. I know over 400hp you need head studs, especially if changing the turbo.

Apparently there is a prevalent crank walk issue from any clutch with more spring force on the thrust bearing. Its an issue that has plagued numerous car brands through the years and is a sort of time bomb thing. When you tune, you will upgrade the clutch (and I was coming to peace with that). I was on board with this until I started see more of these issues described. A hack work around is disable the clutch pedal sensor and dont press clutch on cold starts. Maybe I am over thinking it? Maybe its just internet lore. Maybe its an issue that might show up in 30-80k miles down the road? :iono: But my joyful feelings of some light modding has def been soured. reading the mk7 forum on vortex had a solid role in my feels. Also a full bolt on APR guy just windowed his block on a 2018 :gorf: under 30k miles.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread. ... lown-motor

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread. ... 6MT-Ownerz

I have lost the desire to mod based on "rolling the dice" of luck. Also, vortex is one of the last places people arent readily censored by advertisers.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

For a daily, I'm happy with my Silverado. I could use a little smaller of a body tho so that's why I'd want the Colorado. The interior space is great, it's comfy. Ride ain't too bad. I had the MKV GTI and loved it, but I kinda prefer being a little higher up in a daily. Sports car kinda makes me wanna zip around too much. In the truck I can just cruise at the speed limit in the city and :aintcare: about other rice rockets wanting to race and shit. I couldn't daily my C5 even if I put the stock seat back in. Too many curbs to worry about, my ass is about to be 40 and getting in and out of a low vehicle isn't as fun anymore. With the truck I don't care about the floor mats and shit getting dirty. And I can wash it once a year and not care.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I could see the appeal of the supercharged Range Rovers if they were leased.

I don't like the G Wagen but it's a cool choice.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Another discussion on it.

max225

dubshow wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:22 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:06 am

I really do like the car. I do. Its great. I take everything I read on car forums with a solid dose of :salt: as well.

BUT, there are some unsettling things emerging as I dip my toe back into places like vwvortex to see what people are doing. I have a pretty long list of mildly modded cars and never had any terrible problems.

I fear the :gorf: is designed near limit. Which makes no sense as the mk6 platform in GTI and R could hold 400hp pretty regularly. I know over 400hp you need head studs, especially if changing the turbo.

Apparently there is a prevalent crank walk issue from any clutch with more spring force on the thrust bearing. Its an issue that has plagued numerous car brands through the years and is a sort of time bomb thing. When you tune, you will upgrade the clutch (and I was coming to peace with that). I was on board with this until I started see more of these issues described. A hack work around is disable the clutch pedal sensor and dont press clutch on cold starts. Maybe I am over thinking it? Maybe its just internet lore. Maybe its an issue that might show up in 30-80k miles down the road? :iono: But my joyful feelings of some light modding has def been soured. reading the mk7 forum on vortex had a solid role in my feels. Also a full bolt on APR guy just windowed his block on a 2018 :gorf: under 30k miles.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread. ... lown-motor

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread. ... 6MT-Ownerz

I have lost the desire to mod based on "rolling the dice" of luck. Also, vortex is one of the last places people arent readily censored by advertisers.
Proof that engineers are dumb asses and the gods at APR truly unleash all of the potential, through additional block air intakes
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

dubshow wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:22 am I fear the :gorf: is designed near limit. Which makes no sense as the mk6 platform in GTI and R could hold 400hp pretty regularly. I know over 400hp you need head studs, especially if changing the turbo.
This is how I felt when it came out and I read the numbers. I had my APR Stage 1 tune in my GTI and read up about the guys with the full blown stage 3 kits. When I saw what the R was on paper, I thought, where else can you go from here because the start is so damn high? It made me feel like it was maybe almost a high strung design and I was weary of something out of the box with that much power.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:23 am For a daily, I'm happy with my Silverado. I could use a little smaller of a body tho so that's why I'd want the Colorado. The interior space is great, it's comfy. Ride ain't too bad. I had the MKV GTI and loved it, but I kinda prefer being a little higher up in a daily. Sports car kinda makes me wanna zip around too much. In the truck I can just cruise at the speed limit in the city and :aintcare: about other rice rockets wanting to race and shit. I couldn't daily my C5 even if I put the stock seat back in. Too many curbs to worry about, my ass is about to be 40 and getting in and out of a low vehicle isn't as fun anymore. With the truck I don't care about the floor mats and shit getting dirty. And I can wash it once a year and not care.
:word:

Those are good points.

My C5 with the Sparco likely makes quite the scene each time I get in and out. I also do speed way more than I do driving the BMW.

I wish something like a Mustang but not so huge existed, I feel like that would be cool. The more direct feeling and V8 noises without the 'vette challenges.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:23 am

The main point was that “price/cost is not a consideration”. So I maxed out my utility/comfort and :fullretard: categories, since that’s whats is necessary in a DD, IMO
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Maybe I am just lucky with my area, because I rate driving fun quite highly, but our roads aren't all that bad compared to the Northeast, Midwest, even Los Angeles.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:23 am

My sister in law is leasing one and she knew going it there would likely be problems (hence the lease). The Rover did not disappoint! It's in the shop again for electrical issues. In one year that thing has been in for some issue or new "quirk" 8 times. She's going to push for a buy-back/lemon law on it at this point.
Last edited by CorvetteWaxer on Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.